[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

7 hours ago, mrMTB said:

Firstly let me thank the developer(s) for their work and an excellent container.

My unRAID server is only about a month old, and I'm slowly working through optimizing everything in it. I have a pair of 1660 Supers in my machine, one I've isolated for use in a Win10 gaming VM (primary position) and a second I use for transcoding (currently passed through to Plex and Handbrake, though the latter is generally not running).

Transcoding works like a charm in Plex, and I've scaled it to twenty HEVC>1080p transcodes with resources left to spare on the card. When the transcoding stops, however, the card stays in P0 consuming about 35W compared to my isolated card that sits in P8 consuming about 11W. I have persistence mode enabled on both cards. If I restart the Plex container the card will immediately drop to P8.

Does anyone else see this behavior or have thoughts on how I might get the card to idle properly without having to manually restart the container?

It's a Plex thing

Yesterday I was running Plex inc docker and noticed I was also getting excessive writes to my cache drive.  I switched last night to linuxserver Plex docker and all seemed good.  Today I had 2 streams running and my docker image was increasing in size 1% every 3 minutes or so.  I restarted the docker and my docker image returned to its normal size.  Not to sure whats going on.  Any thoughts?

This hasn't happened to me before. 

I'm trying to play something and it doesn't work. I'm getting this logs here and I thought it was a permission issue. I tried deleting the codecs just in case as well.

Any help?

Jun 05, 2020 22:43:24.125 [0x147438a34700] Warning — [FFMPEG] - No quality level set; using default (20).

Jun 05, 2020 22:43:24.125 [0x147438a34700] Warning — [FFMPEG] - No quality level set; using default (20).

Jun 05, 2020 22:43:26.169 [0x14743bfff700] Info — CodecManager: obtaining decoder 'h264'
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:26.169 [0x14743bfff700] Info — CodecManager: obtaining decoder 'h264'
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:27.143 [0x14743bfff700] Info — CodecManager: obtaining EAE
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:27.143 [0x14743bfff700] Info — CodecManager: obtaining EAE
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:27.906 [0x14743bfff700] Error — Unzip: could not rename zip output directory: Directory not empty
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:27.906 [0x14743bfff700] Error — Unzip: could not rename zip output directory: Directory not empty
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:27.908 [0x14743bfff700] Error — CodecManager: failed to extract zip
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:27.908 [0x14743bfff700] Error — Error configuring transcoder: Decoder install failed: eac3_eae
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:27.908 [0x14743bfff700] Error — CodecManager: failed to extract zip
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:27.908 [0x14743bfff700] Error — Error configuring transcoder: Decoder install failed: eac3_eae
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:28.146 [0x14745aa34700] Warning — Denying access to transcode of key /library/metadata/16489 due to terminated session
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:28.146 [0x14745aa34700] Warning — Denying access to transcode of key /library/metadata/16489 due to terminated session
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:29.351 [0x14745b2b9700] Warning — Denying access to transcode of key /library/metadata/16489 due to terminated session
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:29.351 [0x14745b2b9700] Warning — Denying access to transcode of key /library/metadata/16489 due to terminated session
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:31.553 [0x147438a34700] Warning — Denying access to transcode of key /library/metadata/16489 due to terminated session
Jun 05, 2020 22:43:31.553 [0x147438a34700] Warning — Denying access to transcode of key /library/metadata/16489 due to terminated session

12 minutes ago, Gragorg said:

Yesterday I was running Plex inc docker and noticed I was also getting excessive writes to my cache drive.  I switched last night to linuxserver Plex docker and all seemed good.  Today I had 2 streams running and my docker image was increasing in size 1% every 3 minutes or so.  I restarted the docker and my docker image returned to its normal size.  Not to sure whats going on.  Any thoughts?

Perhaps this post just a few posts above yours can explain it?  I don't know if this is your situation, but it is worth looking into.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Perhaps this post just a few posts above yours can explain it?  I don't know if this is your situation, but it is worth looking into.

That ain't it chief. I have a separate /tmp for the transcode. But It's weird, this wasn't happening. Did plex got updated recently?

35 minutes ago, gacpac said:

That ain't it chief. I have a separate /tmp for the transcode. But It's weird, this wasn't happening. Did plex got updated recently?

That actually was in response to the post before yours.  Plex did update recently with the new feature referenced in that post I linked.  I don't think that is your issue.

EAC audio error have been solved in the past by deleting the codecs, but, that did not work for you.

It looks like it is downloading things OK, but when it comes to extracting and configuring transcoder it fails.

I have never seen the errors reported in your log. Do they have any ideas in the Plex forums?

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

I'm searching, but I don't find anything. 

I was able to do a Testdocker for plex, with everything clean new database, and it works. So my theory of permissions is ruled out.

I'm almost positive it's one of those problems that happen for existing installations, but no new installs. I'm going to deep dive in the crash logs. 

2 hours ago, gacpac said:

I'm searching, but I don't find anything. 

I was able to do a Testdocker for plex, with everything clean new database, and it works. So my theory of permissions is ruled out.

I'm almost positive it's one of those problems that happen for existing installations, but no new installs. I'm going to deep dive in the crash logs. 

He did not answer you in that post, but another user. He even quoted the user. He even followed up your answer saying it wasn't for you 😉

On 6/3/2020 at 11:21 AM, mfwade said:

Yes, i found an article that states the developers are aware of it. That being said, it mentioned setting the following setting to never: (Settings - Server - Library - ‘Generate intro video markers’ set to “never” until this issue is fixed. I didnt set mine to never, rather i added an additional Path (below).

I also created an additional Path to /tmp that resides outside of the docker image, see below for my settings. I believe this will only need to be done temporarily until the real issue is resolved.

-MW

plex-2.PNG

plex-3.PNG

Thanks for this.  I recently just switched from the Plex inc docker due to excessive writes to my cache drive and had the exact same issue.  This fixed me up.  Thanks!

On 6/2/2020 at 12:52 PM, badplanetkevin said:

I have had this issue as of today. I was watching a movie via plex.tv and it started to buffer. I stopped the playback and refreshed the page and was greeted with an unable to load page. Looked in my logs and there were tons of these entries. Seems to work fine for a while, then throw a bunch of these errors, crash the container and then reloads. During this instance, I manually restarted the docker to finish watching my movie.

My transcode setting is set to /transcode within Plex and it is pointing to a dedicated share in the docker configuration.

@brbones and @badplanetkevin: did either of you find any resolution to the "ERROR: The argument for -length must be a positive number" and "ERROR: Could not open the input file (No such file or directory)" in the logs? I have been seeing those errors a lot lately. No other symptoms or issues really though.

On 3/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, trurl said:

By this do you mean you restored the appdata from the backup? Did you also reinstall plex using the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page, or did you just reinstall it without using the Previous Apps feature?

Have you corrected whatever caused you to fill cache?

Sorry for the long delay but want to make sure I don't leave a dangling question.

I did restore the appdata by using a backup created by using the CA backup plugin. I reinstalled without using the previous apps feature as I didn't know it existed when I did it!

I know exactly what corrected the fill-up, and I think now it should be harder to do.

On 6/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, dcpdad said:

@brbones and @badplanetkevin: did either of you find any resolution to the "ERROR: The argument for -length must be a positive number" and "ERROR: Could not open the input file (No such file or directory)" in the logs? I have been seeing those errors a lot lately. No other symptoms or issues really though.

Sorry for not seeing this before now. The error persists for me. I'm pretty sure there have been 2 updates to the docker since I posted, but my log is still full of the error. It hasn't crashed my docker since then, but I'd like to figure out what's causing it so it doesn't fill up my docker image again. =(

Anyone have any idea why I can't get Remote access to work?

It's not a router setting or such because when I install plex server on my Windows desktop remote access is not a problem. 

Only my plex docker installation on Unraid doesn't get remote access and I don't know what I'm doing wrong... The weird thing is that It goes to green when I retry but 10 seconds later it disconnects. 

But on my windows desktop this is not a problem that server works. So why not on my unraid installation??

*update: nevermind this question, problem was my VPN*

Edited by SpaceXp626
  • 2 weeks later...

if i run this docker in host network type, my players see plex as "nearby" but if i run a custom network type and give plex a static IP all my players see plex as "remote". Are there some other settings i need to change as i really want to get all my dockers on their own IP addresses?

I have full remote access to my server with correct port forwarding with either network type.

to show what i mean i even created a second server to show one as nearby and one as remote

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Ockingshay
On 6/17/2020 at 5:35 PM, badplanetkevin said:

Sorry for not seeing this before now. The error persists for me. I'm pretty sure there have been 2 updates to the docker since I posted, but my log is still full of the error. It hasn't crashed my docker since then, but I'd like to figure out what's causing it so it doesn't fill up my docker image again. =(

I am having the same error on the server - "ERROR: Could not open the input file (No such file or directory)". I have seen 9-10 times in quick succession. I am actually getting the error when plex is trying to ingest a newly imported file. like creating chapter thumbnails etc. I am guessing it is permission issue. I did run "New Docker Safe Permissions" lets see if that helps.

My major concern though is that Remote streams are buffering @720P and @Direct Play-4k though I have bandwidth to upload and play @ 4K easily. This is not for every file so I am a bit relieved. Specifically issues is seen playing remote on Samsung TV QN65Q65FN - stream of 53.32GB source file H265 HDR-2160p TrueHD-Atmos 7.1. My best guess is that TV cannot handle H265 that well.

12 minutes ago, Ockingshay said:

if i run this docker in host network type, my players see plex as "nearby" but if i run a custom network type and give plex a static IP all my players see plex as "remote". Are there some other settings i need to change as i really want to get all my dockers on their own IP addresses?

I have full remote access to my server with correct port forwarding with either network type.

to show what i mean i even created a second server to show one as nearby and one as remote

Untitled.jpg

Hi @Ockingshay,

Go to Settings > Network.

This is the setting you might want to look into 👇, please use your own network address range.

This is my test server settings which work great. I am showing here as an example the VLAN range and Docker LAN range.

image.thumb.png.0243d5466bedec16effbf580f915e481.png

Also, This👇

image.thumb.png.f265c421e891b38fe6126ffe29467d4f.png

3 minutes ago, Shomil Saini said:

Hi @Ockingshay,

Go to Settings > Network.

This is the setting you might want to look into 👇, please use your own network address range.

This is my test server settings which work great. I am showing here as an example the VLAN range and Docker LAN range.

image.thumb.png.0243d5466bedec16effbf580f915e481.png

Also, This👇

image.thumb.png.f265c421e891b38fe6126ffe29467d4f.png

Many thanks, I had already done this and it allows me to circumvent the remote quality restrictions but it doesn’t address the underlying difference of host and custom network type.

Edited by Ockingshay

First of all I would like to thank you for creating a great plex docker and I appreciate all the time that it takes.

My plex docker is causing a random cpu to lock out at 100% constantly (mostly after about a day) regardless of whether its in use or not.

I did think initially it was related to the wsd issue, but it resolves it self when you stop the plex docker and the process listed is not the wssd process.

htop

30642 nobody     20   0  121M 20996 13180 R 99.6  0.1  5h52:30 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder -codec:#0x80 ac3 -an

Other than using a specified IP address on the docker everything is default including not specifying the transcoding path, I have not pinned any CPU's either.

I am running unraid 6.8.3 and the docker is up to date.

Thanks.

Is anyone else noticing that the plex docker is starting to get killed for Out of Memory errors during Plex's server maintenance window? 

This morning alone Plex has been OOM reaped dozens of times, sometimes as often as every minute!! https://pastebin.com/8BcJnQ5J

This is happening across two different severs with different memory amounts and client loads (both use LSIO Plex docker). The errors begin within minutes of the maintenance window beginning and never appear after the maintenance window has closed. I do have hard RAM limits set in the docker's config, however they have never approached or hit this limit before in normal operation so I'm hesitant to increase the limit (they are in place to prevent runaway RAM consumption by dockers).

NODEFlix has an 8GB RAM limit set for the PMS docker

NOTYOFLIX has a 6GB RAM limit set for the PMS docker

image.thumb.png.d63c4f7f82291a2810925d17c31c85cf.pngimage.thumb.png.d1a23625cda7b3abf93b1998304d061b.png

I haven't changed anything about either servers Plex settings or docker configurations recently. The only thing I can think of is Plex's new "Detect Intro" feature runs as a scheduled task so I have disabled it and will monitor to see if the errors return with that setting off. However I don't recall seeing this issue when that feature was introduced,  this problem just appeared a few days ago...

Attached are both server diagnostic zips.

node-diagnostics-20200705-0545.zipvoid-diagnostics-20200705-0545.zip

I've posted about my issues over on the Plex forums since this thread is to massive for anything to be seen or addressed. https://forums.plex.tv/t/server-maintenance-leads-to-excessive-resource-utilization/611012/

Edited by weirdcrap
19 minutes ago, cinereus said:

Both this and the plexinc container haven't been working via plex web for a couple of weeks now. No idea why but no video files will play at all, it remains stuck at 0:00.

I haven't had any issues the last few weeks. Just verified again just now via plex web and playback was fine.