[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I'm having an issue where my streams will timeout in the middle of a movie or tv episode. I'm streaming from the iOS plex app to a Chromecast. It only happens once per episode or movie but it requires me to switch to my phone and then back to the Chromecast. Any ideas what may be causing it?

Edited by kage1414

Hi, i'm just learning my new unraid server, and i have a small problem with this plex app. I apologize if this is covered somewhere, i couldn't find it. My problem is that in the dashboard, i am not getting anything on the realtime bandwidth graph. In the Plex Dash app it works, but on the server it is just flat lines. Any help to fix this is appreciated.

Last night, Plex worked fine. Tonight, after a Plex Docker update a couple of hours ago, I can't even get the web UI going. Something has been broken by the update. How do I go about fixing this?

The last bunch of lines in the log file (like over 50? and more coming) are "Starting Plex Media Server."

I haven't changed anything in months, but definitely not in the past 24 hours, when Plex was working last.

7 hours ago, Karyudo said:

Last night, Plex worked fine. Tonight, after a Plex Docker update a couple of hours ago, I can't even get the web UI going. Something has been broken by the update. How do I go about fixing this?

Have you 'stopped' the container and restarted it, to see if it's stuck in some kind of boot loop?

My Plex is up to date, don't know when the last update was, but is working fine.

Some other things you can try ...   painfully go through the logs in /mnt/user/appdata/<plex>/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs and try to determine what the error is. Plex Media Server.log 1/2/3/4/5 is probably what you need to look at.

Double check that your Plex docker config did not get changed somehow and that the /config mount point is still mapped to /mnt/user/appdata/<plex>

And if all that fails, it's likely that you have a corrupted database.. so you could try to fix it https://support.plex.tv/articles/201100678-repair-a-corrupt-database/

or delete your /config directory and let Plex rebuild everything.

Thanks, Energen. I did go through most of the things you suggested (with no luck), and also posted to the linuxserver.io Discord last night, where I got confirmation it's database corruption.

The first and only recovery suggestion so far was to point Plex at /mnt/cache/appdata instead of /mnt/user/appdata, and that didn't work.

I also learned that CA Appdata Backup is a useless turd. Restoring appdata from a backup is an all-or-nothing proposition (i.e. it restores *all* applications, not just the one with the problem), takes forever, and also didn't fix the problem. In theory, I have three separate backups from when Plex worked fine. In practice, I've got several hundred GB of useless trash, it seems. Don't know why I wasted my time.

In general, unRAID has been a huge letdown in terms of how robust and redundant everything supposedly is. It's still my favourite, but it's way more fragile than the lucky folks who have never had a problem think.

48 minutes ago, Karyudo said:

I also learned that CA Appdata Backup is a useless turd. Restoring appdata from a backup is an all-or-nothing proposition (i.e. it restores *all* applications, not just the one with the problem), takes forever, and also didn't fix the problem. In theory, I have three separate backups from when Plex worked fine. In practice, I've got several hundred GB of useless trash, it seems. Don't know why I wasted my time.

Well yeah that's generally what the restore is for... restoring an entire appdata that was lost.  You can extract specific folders though to restore manually as it's only a fancy zip file.

You only need the files from appdata\plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Plug-in Support\Databases

So I don't know what your process was but here's what I would do to exhaust all options --- before totally freaking out on Unraid for no reason, since it was some kind of error with Plex updating apparently.

Stop Plex container.

Drop in files from backup archive to plex appdata

Start Plex container.

Check if it works.

If yes... great.

If not... repeat with another set of backup files from an older date.

The only problem is I don't know if plex does anything to the database on a version update... say for example they added a data field for something.. so the latest version attempts to access the old database and doesn't find what it's looking for..... I don't think they would do that since it would automatically break all old databases but you never know... so you might have to try and roll back your plex container to an older version, if it's possible, using version tags.

Did you look at the link I posted for repairing a corrupt database?  You might have to play around with that also.  Lots of manual work.

Or you kill it all and delete the config and start fresh.

Thanks for your calm response—unlike mine. This is not my first problem with Plex, or unRAID, or Docker, or BTRFS, so after a while I feel pretty down on the whole thing, which is otherwise a pretty incredibly good ecosystem. I'll feel better once I get Plex sorted.

I'm also pretty sure I know now what caused my Plex problem: Sonarr. Obliquely, anyway. There was a huge flood of... Linux isos... yesterday, and Sonarr cued them up and started downloading them. Ultimately, there were so many that the cache drive filled up, and SABnzbd stopped. But I imagine at the same time Plex is trying to add those new items to the database, on the same cache drive. I ran the mover to keep the downloading coming, but I guess Plex was already done for. After I sort out the immediate database corruption, I think I'm going to have to look at putting Plex data on a separate SSD, and perhaps also getting a bigger cache SSD.

I'll read and re-read your post a couple of times, dig in, and see where I end up after a few hours.

1 hour ago, Karyudo said:

I think I'm going to have to look at putting Plex data on a separate SSD, and perhaps also getting a bigger cache SSD.

A lot of bad things happen when the cache is full, and even though it's supposed to fall back to writing to the array (depending on how the share is set up) I've definitely ran into problems with a full cache drive. So that could have something to do with it.  Double check all your share cache settings and make sure they are writing to cache first and to the array if the cache is full.  For example, whichever share you have your downloads going to you would probably want to be set to Cache: Yes.  This implies the fall back writing to the array if cache is full.

As for moving the Plex data... well, the only thing Plex does to the media is create the thumbnails / metadata for the file.  So all of that metadata could get to be quite large, which goes back to the size of your cache drive, but it's not like it's creating a duplicate of the actual media file. 

In either case, you don't 'need' any of the Plex data on the cache drive.  I don't really think it makes a difference if the metadata is on the faster cache drive or a slower spinning drive.  The files are so small that it's irrelevant.  So consider just creating a Plex data share to use instead of appdata on the cache drive and have that share not use cache.

Similarly, let's say that the amount of data being downloaded at once was the cause of your problem, you could create a downloads share specific for SABnzbd or whatever tool does your downloading and have that share not on cache also.  It's unlikely that you need to use the cache drive for downloads, you're not going to affect the speed of the download by writing to the array directly, I doubt your internet is that fast. ;)

All in all, if you've had multiple problems with Unraid then I think you might need to re-evaluate how you're operating on Unraid.  You 'might' be doing something wrong :)

Oh, I'm always proven to be the one at fault. That's a given. But when that happens with multiple users of unRAID and Dockers, then I think they might need to re-evaluate how little information they're providing on setup, such that users continue to get things wrong. It's shocking how little documentation is provided with any given Docker, and how brittle some things are (like the cache filling up). Trying to get the binhex qBittorrentVPN running was an all-day project, and still the WebUI call points to port 8080 every damn time....

It's no surprise to me that Linux has never taken over the world: its most ardent supporters are *the worst* for inadequate and out-of-date documentation, terseness bordering on obfuscation, condescension, and victim-blaming.

Edited by Karyudo
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Karyudo said:

Oh, I'm always proven to be the one at fault. That's a given. But when that happens with multiple users of unRAID and Dockers, then I think they might need to re-evaluate how little information they're providing on setup, such that users continue to get things wrong. It's shocking how little documentation is provided with any given Docker, and how brittle some things are (like the cache filling up). Trying to get the binhex qBittorrentVPN running was an all-day project, and still the WebUI call points to port 8080 every damn time....

It's no surprise to me that Linux has never taken over the world: its most ardent supporters are *the worst* for inadequate and out-of-date documentation, terseness bordering on obfuscation, condescension, and victim-blaming.

Just, wow.

What, you've never noticed that before? That's not to say there aren't many amazingly experienced and generous folks, too—of course there are; and maybe even in greater numbers than most other communities—but there isn't a more insufferable jerk in the computing world than a Linux jerk. It's pathological.

In any case, that's off-topic. I'll get back to trying Energen's multiple troubleshooting suggestions. Hope one of the options works before having to kill it all and start from scratch.

3 minutes ago, Karyudo said:

What, you've never noticed that before? That's not to say there aren't many amazingly experienced and generous folks, too—of course there are; and maybe even in greater numbers than most other communities—but there isn't a more insufferable jerk in the computing world than a Linux jerk. It's pathological.

In any case, that's off-topic. I'll get back to trying Energen's multiple troubleshooting suggestions. Hope one of the options works before having to kill it all and start from scratch.

Please stop the shit throwing in this thread as it is highly off-topic and doesn't inspire to help you with your issue.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, saarg said:

Just, wow.

lol.. he's not totally incorrect.  I mean, any group of people for a product will have their devout fanboys that defend their product to no end and if you ask a noob question you get ridiculed.  Even Linus Torvalds has been known to go off on different people and about different subjects.

That's just internet life...

• Like 1

I've started to get this in my plex docker log that seems to repeat about once a day.  How do I go about finding out what files are missing?

__code__:181: FutureWarning: The behavior of this method will change in future versions. Use specific 'len(elem)' or 'elem is not None' test instead.
ERROR: Could not open the input file (No such file or directory)
ERROR: Not enough audio data
ERROR: The argument for -length must be a positive number
__code__:181: FutureWarning: The behavior of this method will change in future versions. Use specific 'len(elem)' or 'elem is not None' test instead.

7 hours ago, Luc1fer said:

I've started to get this in my plex docker log that seems to repeat about once a day.  How do I go about finding out what files are missing?

ERROR: The argument for -length must be a positive number

Probably better to ask on the Plex forum as they would know more about this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I’m new to unraid and I try to solve my problems by reading all this stuff.

I have one problem:
How can I find out which IPv6 my Plex Container is using?
Network is set to „host“.
In Plex settings the use of IPv6 is checked.

Is there a way to show the IPs in the console of the docker?
Is the docker using IPv6 generally (main unraid is configured and has a IPv6, Plex Settings IPv6 is checked)

Thank you for your help. I‘m still learning.

Regards

6 minutes ago, Schicksal said:

Hello, I’m new to unraid and I try to solve my problems by reading all this stuff.

I have one problem:
How can I find out which IPv6 my Plex Container is using?
Network is set to „host“.
In Plex settings the use of IPv6 is checked.

Is there a way to show the IPs in the console of the docker?
Is the docker using IPv6 generally (main unraid is configured and has a IPv6, Plex Settings IPv6 is checked)

Thank you for your help. I‘m still learning.

Regards

From the docker tab toggle advanced on to get the container ID. It will look like "d61de8b911c5". Go into the terminal of the host machine, and use the docker inspect command:

docker inspect d61de8b911c5 | grep v6

This will extract the IPv6 lines from the running docker's config.

• Like 1

hmmm,

"LinkLocalIPv6Address": "",
            "LinkLocalIPv6PrefixLen": 0,
            "SecondaryIPv6Addresses": null,
            "GlobalIPv6Address": "",
            "GlobalIPv6PrefixLen": 0,
            "IPv6Gateway": "",
                    "IPv6Gateway": "",
                    "GlobalIPv6Address": "",
                    "GlobalIPv6PrefixLen": 0,

how to activate IPv6 for my this plex container?

i thought with network "host" it has the same like the main unraid system.

18 minutes ago, Schicksal said:

how to activate IPv6 for my this plex container?

i thought with network "host" it has the same like the main unraid system.

This command will enumerate the networks configured in docker

docker network ls

Find the entry for your host networking, and use the inspect command on it to see if IPv6 is active on that interface:

docker inspect <yourIDhere> | grep v6

Thank you for your help.
I will test it after work.
You will read me again

------edit------

docker network ls

where do i have to run this command?

unraid console or in the plex docker console?

the plex docker console doesn't know this command.

in unraid console it shows me 4 Network IDs. doesn't matter if the plex docker is running or not.

------edit2-----

docker inspect <yourIDhere> | grep v6

if i'm using this command in the unraid terminal on the network id which is named as "host"

the result of it is: 

"EnableIPv6": false,
                "IPv6Address": ""

ahhhhhhhh

Edited by Schicksal

Has something changed in the Plex container?  It seems to be stuck on 1.19.5.3112, and always gives me an "Update available" message.  I have been auto-updating the container regularly but it doesn't update the container.  I tried "force update" and no difference.  I am using the :latest tag.

1 hour ago, BoxOfSnoo said:

Has something changed in the Plex container?  It seems to be stuck on 1.19.5.3112, and always gives me an "Update available" message.  I have been auto-updating the container regularly but it doesn't update the container.  I tried "force update" and no difference.  I am using the :latest tag.

That is the latest version.

https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex/tags