[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Current Nvidia setup help needed.  I had my Nvidia card working with the special build of Unraid, but I see that Unraid now supports the Nvidia driver directly.   I deleted the unsupported Nvidia setup, upgraded to the latest Unraid, and loaded the new Nvidia driver.  I restarted everything.   I looked and the setup for the new driver looked very similar to the old one.   But currently I do not have hw encoding working, so something is amiss.   I did see a suggestion to setup an environmental variable, but no photo of where that goes.  Is there a special field for environmental variables or does the -e specify it?    

When the Nvidia setup changed, I wondered if this version of Plex Server is still being supported, but it looks like it is, and it was working well for me.    Can I get this to work with the new Nvidia driver setup in Unraid?

Thanks,

Ross

On 3/11/2021 at 8:00 AM, Savinon said:

I cannot get my nvidia card to hw transcode I followed all steps and get it to transcode. please help!!

Nvidia-driver.PNG

plex docker settings.PNG

advance settings.PNG

plex hw transcoding settings.PNG

nvidia-smi.PNG

Aren't you missing the variable: NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES  = all?

I am running into a similar issue.

I can't see transcodes happening using nvidia-smi, but I have transcoding enabled and it appears to be in use when I run like three transcodes at the same time.

My cpu cores are not going up, but the fan speed on my gpu increases to the max.

So plex docker appears to be using the gpu, but I can't see what it is transcoding.  Any ideas?

Hello,

Unraid 6.9/6.9.1 gave me only issues, one of them is transcoding with my GPU. I have a P2000 for transcoding, but it stopped working, after the update. I've installed the new unraid-nvidia plugin, rebooted, but when I would play something on plex, I would get this error "An unknown error occurred (4294967283) Error code: 4294967283". I also have a jellyfin install where hardware transcoding works, soo my only guess is that there is a issue with plex. From there I tried a new plex install with a new appdata folder, but it gave me the same issue. I have attached the logs with debug and verbose turned on for plex. Right now I've downgraded to 6.8.3 using this prebuild image, and transcoding works just fine.

If it helps, here is the docker command for my install: 

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="Europe/Athens" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-354baa92-71fb-a164-9d8f-1807bc4bf2af' -e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES'='all' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/Media/':'/media':'rw' -v '/tmp/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '':'/movies':'rw' -v '':'/tv':'rw' -v '':'/music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' --runtime=nvidia 'linuxserver/plex'

Is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Plex Media Server Logs_2021-03-15_08-25-47.zip

Just migrated to this docker from hot.io. While setting up the docker I chose to remove all the unnecessary port mappings; 1900, 3005,32410 etc.

I apply the settings, the docker is downloaded and setup. I go back to the docker tab, only to find out is has added/created all the port mappings I deleted. WHY!?

Network type is HOST. How do I remove the unnecessary port mappings. I only require port 32400 for the webui.

14 hours ago, unRAIDuser7 said:

Just migrated to this docker from hot.io. While setting up the docker I chose to remove all the unnecessary port mappings; 1900, 3005,32410 etc.

I apply the settings, the docker is downloaded and setup. I go back to the docker tab, only to find out is has added/created all the port mappings I deleted. WHY!?

Network type is HOST. How do I remove the unnecessary port mappings. I only require port 32400 for the webui.

The port mappings doesn't have any meaning when using HOST network, so ignore it.

48 minutes ago, jang430 said:

Hi.  Trying this container out.  Why doesn't it see media on my Unraid Share?  It seems media server not installed.  Tried signing out and in, still the same.  This is also the case for my installation of official Plex container.  

Would be better if you described what you are seeing more in detail.

What is the exact error message you are getting and when. Are you connecting from a computer on the same subnet as the Plex container?

Also post your docker run command.

I am connecting from outside the network. I manage this unraid server.  I connected via OpenVpn.  Also tried accessing the server via it's public IP:32400, with same result.  

I don't know where to click to do the claim.  I can't find it.  The server don't show any Claim notifications.   I just run the docker app via gui, not familiar with docker run command.

23 minutes ago, jang430 said:

not familiar with docker run command.

As documented by Squid in the Docker FAQ forum:

How to get the docker run command

From a post in the Plex support forums:

I finally got it to work. None of the “support” articles were of much help, but how I ended up resolving it:

1. Connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to the server (which is normally headless), and clear the browser of history and cache,
    2. disconnect the server from the internet
    3. Accessing the GUI from localhost:32400/web/
    4. From there I was finally able to see the server
    5. econnect the server to the internet
    6. before logging in (I tried that and it went right back to “no soup for you”), click the “claim server” button; I was then prompted to login.
    7. the server was claimed and I’m now able to access server settings.

In the end, if my unraid server was able to access the Plex sign-in servers during this process, it would not work. They must have some machine identifier somewhere that is preventing you from just logging in as a fresh server.

5 hours ago, jang430 said:

Thank you!  that gives me a new problem though.  The server is remote, and I don't have access to it now.  But thanks for the instructions.  I will find a way to fix this.

Did you try to claim the server using the token? The correct env variable to use and where to get the token is in the readme.

You're right!  I was challenged by the instructions by Hoopster, as I don't have physical access to the unit.  This morning, I downloaded the official app once again, and this time, the field there that talks about claiming something makes more sense.  True enough, after putting in the token, it worked!  

Thank you saarg.

30 minutes ago, jang430 said:

I downloaded the official app once again, and this time, the field there that talks about claiming something makes more sense.

Good!  Glad you got it worked out.  Your "No Soup for You" post and follow up post made it sound like you were unable to enter the token and were stuck at that message so I found a post about that situation in the Plex forums. 

Personally, I had no idea if that would be a solution as it is nothing I ever needed to do.  Nevertheless, thanks to Saarg, you found a way to enter the token and are up an running so that is what counts.

Hi,

After updating to 1.22.1.4228-724c56e62 I appear to be unable to play files in firefox or edge.  I am able to navigate plex, and click into the info screens for items, but I cannot play an item. I click play and nothing happens. It looks like the browser registers the click but nothing changes.

Chrome works just fine with no issues.

I have tested on multiple computers.

Any ideas, I have removed all ad blockers, and cleared my cookies, etc.

Edited by guyonphone
9 hours ago, guyonphone said:

Chrome works just fine with no issues.

That suggests there is no problem with this docker or the way you are using it, but instead a problem with plex and/or your browsers. Have you checked on the plex forums for help with this?

3 hours ago, trurl said:

That suggests there is no problem with this docker or the way you are using it, but instead a problem with plex and/or your browsers. Have you checked on the plex forums for help with this?

Thank You, I ended up rolling back to a previous version and its working now. Must be an issue with the release.

1 hour ago, guyonphone said:

Thank You, I ended up rolling back to a previous version and its working now. Must be an issue with the release.

This might be related to a recent Plex release that is upgrading the secure portion to using Let's Encrypt that might not be playing nicely with some browsers.  I just tried and it's working for me in Firefox, Edge (Chromium) and Chrome.  Not sure if that is fully implemented in the latest docker release and if Plex is forcing a change in the secure connections settings on certain installs.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/206225077-how-to-use-secure-server-connections/?utm_source=Plex&utm_medium=email&utm_content=network_security_button&utm_campaign=Newsletter_Mar_24_2021_RoW_PP

I do clear my cache/cookies once a month or so in all my browsers (CTRL + SHIFT + DELETE) in most to bring up the dialog.  Maybe that might clear some things up for you as well if you are using the secure access mode.

Edited by axipher
Added link to Plex Article
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/difflib.py:437: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

a[besti+bestsize] == b[bestj+bestsize]:
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/difflib.py:433: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

a[besti-1] == b[bestj-1]:

running 1.22.1.4228

I'm getting the warning above usually during scans 

I see one other person with the issue below and of course no help from plex forum.

has anyone else seen this?

@luigi408 did you ever fix this?

https://forums.plex.tv/t/unicodewarning-errors-while-updating-library-metadata/545011/4