[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Quick and maybe a stupid question.

I just migrated from Binhex-Plex to Linuxserver.io, because of hardware transcoding. I know Binhex has one for plexpass, for HW-transcoding, as far as I know. But that just confuses me & SpaceinvaderOne made a video using linuxservers docker, so for me, is was a good place to start.

But my question is, does the hardware transcode option only visible if you have a PlexPass? I can se my options for transcoding is different from the one he(SpaceinvaderOne) has in his video, using the same docker. Or have I made a mistake when I migrated?

Edit: Nvm, it all looks fine, except the settings. But when I press play nothing happens. It's seems a mistake have been made :E

Edited by Michelle Bausager
30 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

The Plex application requires a PlexPass to enable HW transcoding, regardless of what platform you are using.

Yes, but I would like to see the grayed-option before I buy.

My question boils down to; is it greyed-out or not visible before the purchase? 

Edit: It's not visible. Now to figure out why the migration didn't work :E

Edited by Michelle Bausager
New Info

Hrm, anyone else having issues HW transcoding 4k HEVC HDR content? My 4K HEVC content is hardware transcoding perfectly on my intel 10400, but throw HDR into the mix and it just reverts back to software. I have the HDR tone mapping option enabled of course.

26 minutes ago, coblck said:

Fine with my i5 7400 

Yeah suspecting it may be an issue with 10000 series?  I dunno, have to spend some time getting logs for it I guess. Could have sworn I was watching a video file with it transcoding perfectly fine just the other day though, wonder if I can downgrade easily from latest version to test that theory...

12 minutes ago, coblck said:

Did notice there is an update on my docker waiting but not updated yet maybe be worth rolling back see if OK 

Hrm thought this would be easy, but can't find a place anywhere in the linuxserver.io package to enter the tag so guessing I need to manually add it as a new variable, anyone more knowledgeable than myself mind sharing how to set the specific tag to use please?

Nevermind figured it out! And indeed, everything is working perfectly again on the older image. I swapped back to 'version-1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd' with linuxserver.io image and that did the trick for me. Unsure if it's just me, but might be worth mentioning to save some people headaches should it be an actual issue.

Hello all, posting here if anyone else runs into this issue.

Saw there was an update to Unraid 6.9.1 this morning. Update installed with no issue and restarted my server. On reboot, my Plex container was not started (should be auto-start). When I went to start it, it just gave me the "execution error: bad parameter" error. I tried editing the docker settings, and when I went back to the Docker tab, Plex was gone. This was odd as it was working perfectly last night.

I tried to add the container again from my previous image but kept getting this error:image.thumb.png.303b37a9fa9d09b902ff61d50ad42df6.png

I searched for "nvidia driver" and installed this one as it seemed like the previous "Unraid Nvidia" plugin that I had downloaded before wasn't there anymore (see screenshot). 

Once that finished installing, I re-added the container from my previous image and it fired up no problem. Hope this helps.

image.png

I updated to the latest version today after I was notified by Plex that a new "everyone" version was available. Now when I go to settings I get the error "server settings are unavailable". I followed the instructions and deleted the login information from my Preferences.xml file. But then it wouldn't let me claim my server. Rather than going to the login it just says "server settings are unavailable". I was finally able to log my server back in by using the PLEX_CLAIM Docker variable. It still won't let me get to my settings though. Any ideas?

29 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

I updated to the latest version today after I was notified by Plex that a new "everyone" version was available. Now when I go to settings I get the error "server settings are unavailable". I followed the instructions and deleted the login information from my Preferences.xml file. But then it wouldn't let me claim my server. Rather than going to the login it just says "server settings are unavailable". I was finally able to log my server back in by using the PLEX_CLAIM Docker variable. It still won't let me get to my settings though. Any ideas?

I am having the same problem

Checking the logs, I get:

Plex Plug-in [com.plexapp.system]: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.7.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Plex Plug-in [com.plexapp.system]: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.7.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Relay: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

29 minutes ago, resuarez said:

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Relay: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Exactly the same issue here :(

42 minutes ago, resuarez said:

Same issue here, running latest version of UnRaid and Plex. Same exact errors in the logs, cannot access Plex remotely or access the server settings. Only local network users are able to play files from Plex. 

5 minutes ago, Octa said:

Well it seems its a Plex issue rather than linuxserver.io, see here https://forums.plex.tv/t/server-settings-are-unavailable-ubuntu-20-04-1-22-1-4271/706327

For now, edit the container with the previous version in repository: linuxserver/plex:version-1.22.1.4228-724c56e62

And also dont forget to set the VERSION env to 1.22.1.4228

Perfect, that fixed it. Thanks for the work around!

I'm having an issue with Plex, and I don't know whether or not it is this docker.  I am unable to play certain movies on my server, and this seems to have started a few weeks ago.  Without rhyme or reason, certain files will not play on my server locally, but they will remotely for some users, but not all.  This seems to be regardless of codec, resolution or source, as I would pull multiple variations of the same movie file and yet they still would not play.  The odd thing about this is that some, but not all, of my remote users are able to stream the file without a problem, and when I stream the file from a friends' Plex server, the same file that I have on mine, it streams without a problem.  I'm unsure if there is a permissions issue or maybe a problem with my hardware transcoding.  I am using a GTX 3070 for hardware transcoding and trying to direct play/direct stream this file on Samsung TV, Apple TV, Roku, iOS and Chrome Browser clients and none are playing the file in question.  I have attempted the codec deletion method but that didn't fix anything.  I have tried reaching out in another thread here and on the Plex forums but have come up short.  I'll upload my current Plex logs and my server diagnostics, but could use a hand diagnosing whatever this problem is.  

PlexLogs.zip trescommas-diagnostics-20210401-2001.zip