[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I'm seeing a potential issue in the logs:

Apr 01, 2021 21:55:43.877 [0x14bb723f1700] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: hardware transcoding: opening hw device failed - probably not supported by this system, error: Generic error in an external library
Apr 01, 2021 21:55:43.877 [0x14bb723f1700] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: testing h264 (decoder) with hwdevice nvdec

I'm using a RTX 3070 and have the Nvidia Driver installed with driver 465.19.01.  I have --runtime=nvidia in Extra Parameters and my GPU is declared under Nvidia Visible Devices in the docker settings.  Hardware transcoding was working as recently as yesterday.  

Hi everyone, I would appreciate some advice please.

After a recent update to plex version 1.22.1.4228 I've now noticed that in the remote access settings, plex is using the public IP of my unraid server instead of the public IP of the docker container itself. Is there any way to force plex back to using the public IP of the docker container? I have verified the container's public IP by using curl ifconfig.io

Thank you!

8 hours ago, raujaku said:

Don't know if this has been mentions yet but, quicksync stops working after version 1.22.0.4163. I tested this across multiple containers, each with the same results.

I’m updated to the latest version and QuickSync is still working for me. I have an i5 8400. I’ve seen people having issues with Intel’s 11th gen CPU’s and 4K HDR files.

27 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

I’m updated to the latest version and QuickSync is still working for me. I have an i5 8400. I’ve seen people having issues with Intel’s 11th gen CPU’s and 4K HDR files.

Your right, after going past version-1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd I can no longer transcode 4k HDR.

This is on a server using a w1290-P.

6 hours ago, unraid20 said:

Hi everyone, I would appreciate some advice please.

After a recent update to plex version 1.22.1.4228 I've now noticed that in the remote access settings, plex is using the public IP of my unraid server instead of the public IP of the docker container itself. Is there any way to force plex back to using the public IP of the docker container? I have verified the container's public IP by using curl ifconfig.io

Thank you!

Neither unraid or the container use a public IP.

You should get the same IP doing curl of config.io in both unraid and the container.

18 minutes ago, ChillZwix said:

I have set up a pool with a M2 SSD, how can i use that for appdata for Plex files? 

I assume you want this for all appdata for all docker containers and not just Plex?

If you want your appdata to live on the M2 SSD, make appadata "Use cache pool : only/prefer"  in the appdata share settings and specify the M2 drive pool as the cache pool to be used.

Only means no appdata files can exist anywhere else and if you run out of space, you will get errors. Prefer means store appdata files on the selected cache pool as long as there is space, but, if there is no space, let them overflow to the array.

image.png.5c8c0efc8c480f0527d70e4492e047bb.png

You will have to move the current appdata off the unassigned device and to the M2 cache pool and modify docker paths and docker settings to point to the new appdata location.

Where is your docker.img file currently stored?  Is it in the default location of the system share are did you create its elsewhere?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

I assume you want this for all appdata for all docker containers and not just Plex?

If you want your appdata to live on the M2 SSD, make appadata "Use cache pool : only/prefer"  in the appdata share settings and specify the M2 drive pool as the cache pool to be used.

Only means no appdata files can exist anywhere else and if you run out of space, you will get errors. Prefer means store appdata files on the selected cache pool as long as there is space, but, if there is no space, let them overflow to the array.

You will have to move the current appdata off the unassigned device and to the M2 cache pool and modify docker paths and docker settings to point to the new appdata location.

Where is your docker.img file currently stored?  Is it in the default location of the system share are did you create its elsewhere?

Just for Plex.

Got a own Pool with SSDs for appdata, got my docker.img here too, and own cache pool for downloads.

But want appdata for Plex on a own pool.

EDIT:
Did crate a share with the m2 pool a Only, and did put my Plex appdata in. Remapped plex, and working.

Edited by ChillZwix

Hey hope for some help, after updating to latest pull, getting this:

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: executing...
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Docker is used for versioning skip update check
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
Starting Plex Media Server.

Have tried deleting preferences.xml, any ideas?

Plex Media Server.log Plex Media Server.5.log Plex Tuner Service.log

On 10/28/2020 at 11:16 AM, Stalkkaaja said:

Hey guys! How can I get custom fonts working for Plex docker? I have many shows with .ass subtitles and TrueType font files to go with them but no idea where to copy them.

add font files to the container path "/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Fonts/".

I have problem playing some files, and get this error in the logs: 

Jobs: Exec of /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/EasyAudioEncoder-1165-linux-x86_64/EasyAudioEncoder/EasyAudioEncoder failed. (13)

Anyone experience the same?

4 hours ago, frodr said:

I have problem playing some files, and get this error in the logs: 

Jobs: Exec of /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/EasyAudioEncoder-1165-linux-x86_64/EasyAudioEncoder/EasyAudioEncoder failed. (13)

Anyone experience the same?

It's because the mount is flagged NOEXEC.  You can chmod it yourself to fix it, but the problem will keep coming back everytime it tries to update the codec.  I have no idea what causes this and I am in the same boat as you.

Edited by FrostyWolf
  • Like 1
On 4/2/2021 at 7:01 PM, saarg said:

Neither unraid or the container use a public IP.

You should get the same IP doing curl of config.io in both unraid and the container.

Sorry what I should have said is the plex container traffic is routed through a VPN. So before the update, the console curl ifconfig.io IP address was the same as the IP address shown in settings>remote access. Now remote access is showing the IP address of the unraid server instead of the VPN. Does that make sense? Thanks

22 minutes ago, unraid20 said:

Sorry what I should have said is the plex container traffic is routed through a VPN. So before the update, the console curl ifconfig.io IP address was the same as the IP address shown in settings>remote access. Now remote access is showing the IP address of the unraid server instead of the VPN. Does that make sense? Thanks

Not sure why you need to route it through a VPN, but this is out of my scope to help with.

20 hours ago, FrostyWolf said:

It's because the mount is flagged NOEXEC.  You can chmod it yourself to fix it, but the problem will keep coming back everytime it tries to update the codec.  I have no idea what causes this and I am in the same boat as you.

Thanks for the info. 

It happens only with a few files and not others from the same folder. Is this to be expected?

On 4/3/2021 at 9:22 PM, FrostyWolf said:

I was running the commands:

findmnt -l | grep noexec
mount | grep noexec

but no listings. Can the reason for Plex not playing the file and log says:

be something else?

So this is probably a silly issue, but I changed the config path from /mnt/user/appdata/Plex-Media-Server to /mnt/cache/appdata/Plex-Media-Server. However, I realized that I had installed and set up Plex before I got my cache drive, so some of the appdata files for Plex are still on my array rather than the cache drive. So, I changed the path back to /mnt/user/appdata/Plex-Media-Server, restarted the container and my server. However, I'm given a blank page on my home screen, so it's obviously not picking up on the original appdata. All the original data is still there, so what should I do to fix it? In the 2nd picture you can see the folder with the original data, and it looks like a second folder got created when I made the change.  

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

changed the config path from /mnt/user/appdata/Plex-Media-Server to /mnt/cache/appdata/Plex-Media-Server. However, I realized that I had installed and set up Plex before I got my cache drive, so some of the appdata files for Plex are still on my array rather than the cache drive. So, I changed the path back to /mnt/user/appdata/Plex-Media-Server

When reading files on user shares when there are duplicates on other disks, the "lowest" disks are accessed, and cache is lower than any array disk. So if Plex created files on cache then it is seeing those instead.

47 minutes ago, trurl said:

When reading files on user shares when there are duplicates on other disks, the "lowest" disks are accessed, and cache is lower than any array disk. So if Plex created files on cache then it is seeing those instead.

Got it, to try and fix the issue I set my appdata user share to "prefer," invoked the mover (which transferred the majority of the Plex files from my array to the cache drive), and then I used krusader to transfer the few files that were left. Howevever, even after I did this and changed the path back to /mnt/user, I'm still running into the same issue.