[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

21 hours ago, Kaizac said:

Anyways I thought HDR tonemapping HW transcoding was working. But when I check some files in my library then some movies work perfectly but others are still showing artifacts. Dashboard is showing that transcoding is being done by HW and can't find any difference. Maybe because I'm on the latest Intel gen that it's not fully supported yet. But is your whole 4K library being played with tonemapping without artifacts?

The issue was with 10th and 11th gen Intel CPUs on Linux (I have an i7 10700k).  Tone mapping was moved out of hardware due to a bug, so anytime I would try to transcode a HDR movie it would peg my CPU.  After moving to v1.23 of Plex Server, the issue is gone (i.e. back to HW transcoding for all files like it did in v1.22.0.4163 and earlier).

Edited by Andiroo2

I'm using plex on docker for the first time and I'm not having the same performance (very nitpicky, more below) as before when I used Plex Server directly from my windows server.

More information that might be revelant about the servers:

- Both Servers are using a NVMe SSD for the metadata (docker server has a faster NVMe SSD (enterprise vs consumer))

- Regarding the CPUs, docker server has 2xE5-2680 v4, windows server has a i7 4790k

- Both servers have the same content to be displayed on the libraries.

- Both servers are on the same network, connected to the same switch. 

I measure the response time it takes on the unraid docker instance to load completely all images in one library with Chrome network tools and this is the response time from my old plex server loading one library (in red is the analytics events that are blocked by adblocker, ignore those):

image.png.5fb1dfed739e9d7bc56098dae6f2239b.png

Now the same library but accessing my plex docker instance instead:

image.png.f462491e32b940a32413e231152b49a1.png

More details on the 287ms request, we can see the webpage is waiting for the response from the server:

image.png.452a894d0121ec23b09f0f3e6bf6424a.png

Why is this much difference between servers (10x more, but sometimes it spikes even higher) I know I'm being nitpicky here, but I wonder if there's anything else I can do to match the performance I had before.

I tried to use bridge mode on the docker plex server but it didn't make any difference.

EDIT: I found out this post by @mgutt so I tried it out the direct access tweak, changed my appdata config folder path on plex docker config (/mnt/user/appdata/plex) to (/mnt/cache/appdata/plex) and now the performance matches my old server! I'll leave this post here in case anyone finds the same "issue"

Edited by IppoKun
solution
  • Like 1

I recently changed my routers IP from 192.168.1.1 to a random IP and started running into this odd error. I've reinstalled a couple of times and after each time, I land on a page with the following error: 

"Not authorized

You do not have access to this server"

I attached a screenshot here. 

I'm a total UnRaid noob and am sure I'm missing something here, but I just do know what. 

Has anyone seen this before? 

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 21.49.48.png

1 hour ago, happyfuntime said:

I recently changed my routers IP from 192.168.1.1 to a random IP....... 

Are you using DHCP for your plex with remote acces or internally only? Don't recommend DHCP because of portforwarding. Plex really needs 32400 (if not manually changed) 

49 minutes ago, XisoP said:

Are you using DHCP for your plex with remote acces or internally only? Don't recommend DHCP because of portforwarding. Plex really needs 32400 (if not manually changed) 

I'm trying to access internally. My router is set to DHCP, but I reserved the server's IP and opened port 32400 to no avail. I'm still seeing the error. 

EDIT: I pulled up the logs and see this error repeating about a billion times: 

ErrorWarningSystemArrayLogin

Starting Plex Media Server.
Error: Unable to set up server: listen: Address in use (N5boost10wrapexceptINS_6system12system_errorEEE)

Edited by happyfuntime
6 hours ago, trurl said:

How random? Only certain ranges are allowed for private LAN.

I set the router's IP to 68.70.69.1 and my server is in the range. I changed the network type at those aforementioned errors went away. I've already spent about 12 hours researching this and am going to reinstall from scratch. 

On 5/26/2021 at 12:55 AM, happyfuntime said:

I recently changed my routers IP from 192.168.1.1 to a random IP and started running into this odd error. 

Change your router's IP back to 192.168.1.1 and DHCP range back to 192.168.1.[100-255].  This will solve your problems.  You can't just pick any random internal IP for your router.  

Once you're back online, check the Wikipedia article posted by @trurl, specifically the section on Private IPv4 Addresses.  This has details on the ranges you CAN use for your internal network:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network.

2 hours ago, Andiroo2 said:

Change your router's IP back to 192.168.1.1 and DHCP range back to 192.168.1.[100-255].  This will solve your problems.  You can't just pick any random internal IP for your router.  

Once you're back online, check the Wikipedia article posted by @trurl, specifically the section on Private IPv4 Addresses.  This has details on the ranges you CAN use for your internal network:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network.

So, you're totally right. I did that just moments ago and BOOM. It works!

Thanks so much for your help!

6 hours ago, trurl said:

This is a support thread for Plex Media Server, not Plex Media Player. Does your Plex Media Server webUI work?

Sorry about the miscommunication (I meant to say Plex Media Server, not Plex Media Player).  I can access my libraries in the webUI, but the home screen is broken.

Edited by clowncracker

I have a weird issue that started seemingly out of nowhere yesterday. 

• iOS app does not see server
    • (flashes "offline" occassionally)
  • Local web UI does not see server
    • server name drop down appears briefly upon initial login in with orange spinning wheel. Times out after ~10 seconds and the server name disappears. It's like the server does even exist.  
  • AndroidTV app does not see server
    • Error "[server] is not currently available"
  • Regularl Windows program does not see server
    • Error "Not Authorized" "You do not have access to this server"
  • iPadOS app does see server
  • Plex.TV does see server
    • everything green including remote access

Some other key points

• I've tried googling, wasn't particularly helpful
  • Whether devices are connected locally or remotely, does not change status.
  • I upgraded to plex pass last month, been working fine since
  • When viewing server settings on plex.tv it says there's an update
  • I've tried the "public" and "latest" versions but I get this error in logs:
    • # Upgrade attempt failed, this could be because either #
      # plex update site is down, local network issues, or #
      # you were trying to get a version that simply doesn't #
      # exist, check over the VERSION variable thoroughly & #
      # correct it or try again later. #

UPDATE: remote access is no longer green even though I changed nothing yet, so solving that first now. What baffles me more than anything is I can't see the server at all on the local Web UI

Edited by TheWhiteKnyt

Any ideas on the below?

I have googled a bit and it is suggested sqlite3 is not fit for large libraries, I am pretty sure mine is small in comparison to others. I also saw not much help or resolution on this. I have yet to try the increase default cache size suggestion but my configs/cache is running on a parity raid 1tb M.2 SSD setup so speed is not the issue.

This happened a while ago but has been fine for a couple months, now I have had it twice in 2 days. I have optimised the db and turned of automatic library scan.

Any other suggestions or an actual fix?

My whole Unraid setup is only 6months old so I would like to think it is not an aging issue heh.

image.thumb.png.93572e652ba775eaf6178922f9fe6a59.png

Server Version#: 1.23.3.4706
Player Version#: 4.57.4

Plex Media Server 5

Plex Media Server 4

Plex Media Server 3

Plex Media Server 2

Plex Media Server 1

Plex Media Server

LSIO Plex Docker Log

Starting with the last attachment, the plex docker log, I started getting "decoder information: 249" messages repeating several hundred times, followed by "unsupported format change", and finally "udc input failed with 1001" with a few of the unsupported format and no data written messages sprinkled in.

I've attached the unraid plex docker log as well as all of my plex media server logs going back to about 1am eastern time.

I do not have automatic library updates turned on.

My OS is unraid 6.9.2 with the linuxserver plex docker container set to latest and I am a plexpass subscriber. I am also using an nvidia GTX 1660 with the container for hardware transcoding. My transcode directory is /tmp.

I'll appreciate any help that I can get!

Plex Media Server.log plex docker log.log Plex Media Server.1.log Plex Media Server.2.log Plex Media Server.3.log Plex Media Server.4.log Plex Media Server.5.log

Edited by CriticalMach
File Upload
On 5/1/2021 at 1:31 PM, audioclass said:

I'm experiencing a minor issue/inconvenience on a consistent basis.  Any time my container is restarted, my Settings > Remote Access configuration is unchecking the 'Manually specify public port' setting, which prompts the screen to indicate that my server is not accessible remotely.  I can recheck the box, and press apply, and I then get the green 'Fully accessible outside your network' message again.  So far, this has not actually impacted the ability of my users to access, despite the message, but it is annoying to have to keep turning it back on again.  I also fear that if my firewall states get cleared during that period it WILL cause issues.  Any idea why this setting does not persist through a restart? 

I've tried searching for similar cases but haven't had much luck.  Of course, if I switch to UPnP this is a non-issue, but I'm keen to keep this disabled on my firewall for obvious security concerns.

Anyone have any clue on this?  Every time I update I have to change this setting back again, and any time it is disabled my users are passed through the plex relay which limits bandwidth/resolution.

Edited by audioclass
  • 3 weeks later...

On 6/4/2021 at 5:39 PM, trurl said:

This is a support thread for Plex Media Server, not Plex Media Player. Does your Plex Media Server webUI work?

I wanted to follow up on this, since I'm still having this issue:

Whenever I load Plex Media Server on a browser, the home page fails to load. The home page states, "There was an error loading your home screen. Please try again in a few minutes." Anyone know a way to fix this?

I can access my libraries in the webUI, but the home screen is broken.

Im getting SQL errors in the plex log (attached image) Have tried rolling back to a backup I took 2 days ago, and Plex was working perfectly after that up until a few hours ago. We had this exact same issue about a month ago and changing the plex docker from this linux server one to the official plex one fixed it, but its happening again.

Im finding it hard to believe its really a database issue as im rolling back to a database that worked perfectly fine, but im all out of ideas.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

screenshot.268.jpg

screenshot.272.jpg

Edited by Gracey400
23 hours ago, trurl said:

Maybe a problem with your system beyond just this container. Is everything else working? 

I tried the binhex container and copied my config across and I get the same error so it seems like it is not an issue with the latest linuxserver.io update. Either my system is having issues or my database is corrupt. 

On 7/11/2021 at 2:30 AM, zerolim1t said:
Help getting this error then plex just crashes

[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
Starting Plex Media Server.
Critical: libusb_init failed

now plex keeps crashing randomly. Anyone with the same issue?

i’m having the same issue here sad.png I just turned off the server and turned back on. Now i’m getting libusb_init failed

Edit: actually I don’t remember if I had a new update on the docker container pending which was then applied..

Edit/2: plex is the only container that won't start. Now is crashing as soon as I hit start saying:

Execution error

Server error

I've deleted docker.img, recreated everything.. same stuff, every other container is working as before except for plex.. :(

Edited by Blaz0r
5 hours ago, Blaz0r said:

i’m having the same issue here sad.png I just turned off the server and turned back on. Now i’m getting libusb_init failed

Edit: actually I don’t remember if I had a new update on the docker container pending which was then applied..

Edit/2: plex is the only container that won't start. Now is crashing as soon as I hit start saying:

Execution error

Server error

I've deleted docker.img, recreated everything.. same stuff, every other container is working as before except for plex.. :(

Ok found out what happened. When I moved to unraid 6.9.2 from 6.8.3 I read that we now had full support for hw acceleration with the iGPU of intel series 9 cpus (i have a i3 9100).

Therefore I (wrongly) thought I could remove modprobe i915 + chmod from the config/go file. I did that but I never restarted the server.

Today I restarted my server and Plex could no longer use the --device=/dev/dri I previously added to the docker template to make use of hw transcoding.

To fix my problem I simply ran

touch /boot/config/bodprobe.d/i915.conf

and restarted the server

Edited by Blaz0r