[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I've just reinstalled Linuxserver's plex docker after my server randomly decided to delete all of my dockers and vms; however, I cant seem to remember what I should do with the "transcoder temporary directory" setting. By default it's blank, but I cant find anything  telling me where the default location is. Does anyone know where the default transcoder directory is????

I want to make sure that my transcoder directory is on my SSD cache.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 1.38.19 PM.png

Edited by ImBadAtThis
typo
48 minutes ago, ImBadAtThis said:

Does anyone know where the default transcoder directory is????

If you leave it blank it defaults to {path to your Plex folder in appdata}/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode

If your appdata share in on an SSD, it will transcode on the SSD.

If you have created a transcoder volume mapping in the Plex docker, then enter the specified container path as your Transcoder temporary directory.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Is there a way to revert to the previous version of the docker? After installing the latest update I can no longer play content on my LG TV (Just opens up to a blank screen and can't do anything)

I checked this page: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/builds?page=1 but it says that the last build was over 2 years ago?

Check the tags tab, not builds

5 hours ago, Hendo said:

Last version was 163 but when I add that to the docker it doesn't download anything, it just restarts the docker

zLevlt7.png

Is there something else I need to type here?

Edit: I figured out how to do it, But the TV app is still broken, Guess I just need to wait for an update on that

Version variable is for the plex version, not container tag. And you need to use the long plex version (10 digits or so). 

The docker image tag on the other hand gets added to the end of the image name ie. linuxserver/plex:124

Hey, this wasn't happening before. 

I noticed that after an update. My server stopped showing up in some computers. It's confusing, I can still access using my TV, my phone, outside my network. 

The message I get is this.

image.thumb.png.024b2e5a7eb4772c6438719afa1936cf.png

Honestly, this doesn't make sense to me.

2 hours ago, gacpac said:

Hey, this wasn't happening before. 

I noticed that after an update. My server stopped showing up in some computers. It's confusing, I can still access using my TV, my phone, outside my network. 

The message I get is this.

image.thumb.png.024b2e5a7eb4772c6438719afa1936cf.png

Honestly, this doesn't make sense to me.

Have you tried signing out of plex and signing in again? That usually works for me.

• Like 1

I've been having issues getting to the webpage after the container successfully loads and the logs show that Plex Media Server successfully started.  I'm not using the claim code parameter that I see is on the official plex image.  Is it required for the linuxserver/plex image?  https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex

57 minutes ago, jmeterx said:

I've been having issues getting to the webpage after the container successfully loads and the logs show that Plex Media Server successfully started.  I'm not using the claim code parameter that I see is on the official plex image.  Is it required for the linuxserver/plex image?  https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex

Linuxserver version does not use the claim code.

Did you set it up with host networking? and are you trying to connect to it while on the same subnet? If not, you may have to use the ssh tunnel method described on plex website, troubleshooting guide.

Since I swapped my rig from 2 desktops to a single dual xeon server I was expecting to see much better performance when using Plex.

However as soon as I get 2 or 3 streams going I start getting "Your server is not powerful enough to playback smoothly" message and then just a load of random pauses.

I have my appdata on ssd cache drive, transcode to SSD or RAM made no difference.

I tried pinning all the threads to plex but it was just maxing out.

I have definetly seen improvements in speed when unzipping large files etc. But really plex was the main reason moving to a dual xeon setup.

Admittly it's not the latest and greatest rig but surely it should be able to handle 4 or 5 transdcodes?

I have attached the diagnostic if anyone can see anything obvious please let me know http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c41005109ca2/server-diagnostics-20190117-2205.zip

M/B: Supermicro - X8DT3CPU: Intel Xeon CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHzHVM: EnabledIOMMU: EnabledCache: 384 kB, 1536 kB, 12288 kBMemory: 24 GB Multi-bit ECC

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, aptalca said:

Linuxserver version does not use the claim code.

Did you set it up with host networking? and are you trying to connect to it while on the same subnet? If not, you may have to use the ssh tunnel method described on plex website, troubleshooting guide.

Yes it was configured with host networking and it is on the same subnet, I tried the ssh tunnel method but still cannot access.  I also tried disabling the firewall temporarily to see if it was causing any issues but no such luck 

2 hours ago, jmeterx said:

Yes it was configured with host networking and it is on the same subnet, I tried the ssh tunnel method but still cannot access.  I also tried disabling the firewall temporarily to see if it was causing any issues but no such luck 

What are you doing exactly and what are you experiencing?

10 hours ago, aptalca said:

What are you doing exactly and what are you experiencing?

So here is my config:

sudo docker create --name=plex --net=host -e VERSION=latest -e PUID=1001 -e PGID=1001 -e TZ=America/Chicago -v /home/docker/plex/config:/config -v /home/docker/plex/tvshows:/data/tvshows -v /home/docker/plex/movies:/data/movies -v /home/docker/plex/sports:/data/sports -v /home/docker/plex/transcode:/transcode linuxserver/plex

Here is the resulting startup log

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
          _         ()
         | |  ___   _    __
         | | / __| | |  /  \
         | | \__ \ | | | () |
         |_| |___/ |_|  \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid:    1001
User gid:    1001

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
Change in ownership detected, please be patient while we chown existing files
This could take some time
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing...

#####################################################
#   Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web    #
#   and restart the docker, because there was no    #
#   preference file found, possibly first startup.  #
#####################################################

[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting dbus-daemon
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.
Starting Avahi daemon
Found user 'avahi' (UID 102) and group 'avahi' (GID 103).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.7 starting up.
No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
New relevant interface virbr0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eno1.IPv6 with address fe80::5c50:8409:3944:309c.
New relevant interface eno1.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eno1.IPv4 with address 10.0.1.200.
New relevant interface eno1.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface lo.IPv6 with address ::1.
New relevant interface lo.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface lo.IPv4 with address 127.0.0.1.
New relevant interface lo.IPv4 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 192.168.122.1 on virbr0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::5c50:8409:3944:309c on eno1.*.
Registering new address record for 10.0.1.200 on eno1.IPv4.
Registering new address record for ::1 on lo.*.
Registering new address record for 127.0.0.1 on lo.IPv4.
Server startup complete. Host name is docker.local. Local service cookie is 3163664822.

In terms of what I am experiencing, I am unable to access the site to configure "http://localhost:32400/web" from local or remote locations 

Edited by jmeterx
31 minutes ago, jmeterx said:

home/docker/plex/movies:/data/movies

Looks like you aren't using Unraid. See the first post in this thread for instructions on the proper place to get support for linuxserver dockers on other systems.

After running plexmediaserver for about two years it now recently started to stutter a lot when showing movies. I use my plex app on my samsung tv to watch the movies. After I turn on a movie it takes about 2 sek and it start to flicker and stutter. I have no idea what is wrong. I do not know a lot about this so I just installed the docker, mapped the movie directory and everything have been going great after that.

I have made no changes before the stuttering started.

I have tried direct play, direct streaming and transcode. Nothing changes. I have manually tried to set the buffer size but makes no difference. 

As mentioned I have not changed any settings before this happen. Have there been any updates that has caused some issues regarding the transfer that I have not seen?

Please help. My plex server is useless at the moment:(

33 minutes ago, mrvilla said:

After running plexmediaserver for about two years it now recently started to stutter a lot when showing movies. I use my plex app on my samsung tv to watch the movies. After I turn on a movie it takes about 2 sek and it start to flicker and stutter. I have no idea what is wrong. I do not know a lot about this so I just installed the docker, mapped the movie directory and everything have been going great after that.

I have tried direct play, direct streaming and transcode. Nothing changes. I have manually tried to set the buffer size but makes no difference. 

As mentioned I have not changed any settings before this happen. Have there been any updates that has caused some issues regarding the transfer that I have not seen?

Have you tried playing a movie in a browser to check if the same happens? 

Flickering and stuttering sounds like a client issue. Might be your plex app on the TV got updated and the update broke it. 

4 hours ago, saarg said:

Have you tried playing a movie in a browser to check if the same happens? 

Flickering and stuttering sounds like a client issue. Might be your plex app on the TV got updated and the update broke it. 

I think you are on to something here! I tried playing the movie on my browser and it play without any issues.

I will try to reinstall the plex on my TV. If that will not work than what? Chromecast?

14 minutes ago, mrvilla said:

I think you are on to something here! I tried playing the movie on my browser and it play without any issues.

I will try to reinstall the plex on my TV. If that will not work than what? Chromecast?

Might try getting help on the Plex forums too. May be a known issue.

7 hours ago, mrvilla said:

Im having this issue too. The flickering and stuttering happens no matter which player I use (web, chromecast, tv app).  If anyone has any resources, please share.

4 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

How can I change to 1.15.0.573-123756e9a

This seems to have fix for a lot of issues in regards to high cpu usage according to Plex Forums.

The docker is currently set to Latest.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Set the version variable to that version number