[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

On 1/24/2019 at 7:45 AM, aptalca said:

No, what I mean is, the docker image is only able to pull either the stable (public) releases or plexpass versions.

Go to the Plex website, hit download and you'll see a toggle switch for plexpass. With it on and off, you'll see two versions listed. Those are the latest versions this image supports. Not ones that are posted on the forums.

Resurrecting this a bit ... so based on what you said I do indeed see that version 1.15.0.659 is available as a plexpass verison for me. But my log says it still isn't available.

Atempting to upgrade to: 1.15.0.659-xxx
https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.15.0.659-xxx/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-xxx_amd64.deb:
2019-02-16 10:09:37 ERROR 404: Not Found.

########################################################
# Upgrade attempt failed, this could be because either #
# plex update site is down, local network issues, or #
# you were trying to get a version that simply doesn't #
# exist, check over the VERSION variable thoroughly & #
# correct it or try again later. #

I've been running for quite some time and updates have occurred in the past. I'm on 1.14.1.5488 right now. I recall a while back seeing an update issue but I ignored it at the time and it "went away" some time later when I next looked. I chalked it up to resolved connection issues, but now I'm thinking it "went away" because the plexpass version moved to stable and the download succeeded.

I do see mention on the git readme about "IMPORTANT NOTE:- YOU CANNOT UPDATE TO A PLEXPASS ONLY (BETA) VERSION IF YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN WITH A PLEXPASS ACCOUNT" which makes me ask, logged in where? inside my plex docker instance? yup, done that. In a parameter of the docker set-up? I don't see where to do that. On my desktop I can download the 1.15 verison, and did as a test. But the link for THAT is "https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.15.0.659-xxx/debian/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-xxx_amd64.deb which is different than where the dockers seems to be attempting to pull from. While logged into the plex.tv website the docker link doesn't work from my browser either. But maybe the deb version is what I should be testing against?

Any help is appreciated and by all means tell me what other info I might need to provide.

Edited by jumperalex
Yes, I use it.  It works very well and has a good channel guide.  However, I am using HDHomeRun tuners.  Very hassle free.

Here is the list of Plex supported DVR tuners.
Enlighten me. How the HDhomerun works? Becauae I saw there's different ones. That you have to buy the connect to use multiple TVs.

But if I'm doing it through plex, wouldn't it be just one I guess?

And have plex do the streaming

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, gacpac said:

Enlighten me. How the HDhomerun works? Becauae I saw there's different ones. That you have to buy the connect to use multiple TVs.

But if I'm doing it through plex, wouldn't it be just one I guess?

And have plex do the streaming

Yes, there are different HDHomeRun models. 

I have two dual-tuner Connects on my network, each connected to a separate antenna.  They also make a unit with 4 tuners and one that works with cable cards.  The Extend model has built-in encoders which produces smaller recordings and takes the encoding burden off of the server.  The Connects work just fine for me as my server handles the encoding without problem.

The HDHomeRun units connect to the LAN, not to a TV.  In fact, they do not have to be anywhere near a TV. 

I have the HDHomeRun app on every streaming devices in the house; TVs, computers, iOS and Android phone, iPads.  The app just picks an available tuner from the four I have to watch TV.  For recording, I use the Plex DVR instead of the HDHomeRun DVR.

Again, the only connections the HDHomeRun units have are an antenna in coax connection and an RJ45 Ethernet port for connecting to the LAN.  Any device on the LAN can access any available tuner.  I can even access the tuners remotely via Plex Live TV and DVR.

Edited by Hoopster
14 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Yes, there are different HDHomeRun models. 

I have two dual-tuner Connects on my network, each connected to a separate antenna.  They also make a unit with 4 tuners and one that works with cable cards.  The Extend model has built-in encoders which produces smaller recordings and takes the encoding burden off of the server.  The Connects work just fine for me as my server handles the encoding without problem.

The HDHomeRun units connect to the LAN, not to a TV.  In fact, they do not have to be anywhere near a TV. 

I have the HDHomeRun app on every streaming devices in the house; TVs, computers, iOS and Android phone, iPads.  The app just picks an available tuner from the four I have to watch TV.  For recording, I use the Plex DVR instead of the HDHomeRun DVR.

Again, the only connections the HDHomeRun units have are an antenna in coax connection and an RJ45 Ethernet port for connecting to the LAN.  Any device on the LAN can access any available tuner.  I can even access the tuners remotely via Plex Live TV and DVR.

So, the 2 dual tuner give you 4 streams at the same time. But doesn't Plex bypasses that?

Anyhow, with the HDHomeRun you can use either plex or the app itself I guess. 

So, what difference you see? because to me it's just the beauty of using one app for everything even outside the house or another country via plex. 

1 minute ago, gacpac said:

So, the 2 dual tuner give you 4 streams at the same time. But doesn't Plex bypasses that?

Anyhow, with the HDHomeRun you can use either plex or the app itself I guess. 

So, what difference you see? because to me it's just the beauty of using one app for everything even outside the house or another country via plex. 

I have added both Connects in Plex, so, yes, it has all four tuners available to it.  I choose to use the HDHomeRun app for watching TV on my local LAN.  For me, it is just a bit easier, but, you could certainly do it through Plex as well.  In fact, it is only way to watch TV/streaming media remotely.  As I said, Plex does have a very good channel guide.

Of course, all recorded media is viewed through Plex.  You can do it all with Plex if you choose. 

image.png.c9d7e3cd8f66cbab0ed2f0dd8fa419bf.png

Here's the channel guide in the HDHomeRun app.  It pops up on the right of the screen (it has pop outs to show upcoming shows on each channel):

image.thumb.png.49dd55e7798b889d76be400663c22142.png

Here's the Plex Channels view in the channel guide:

image.thumb.png.4c3ad4ee9ce188b51c72175bf69f1506.png

3 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I have added both Connects in Plex, so, yes, it has all four tuners available to it.  I choose to use the HDHomeRun app for watching TV on my local LAN.  For me, it is just a bit easier, but, you could certainly do it through Plex as well.  In fact, it is only way to watch TV/streaming media remotely.  As I said, Plex does have a very good channel guide.

Of course, all recorded media is viewed through Plex.  You can do it all with Plex if you choose. 

image.png.c9d7e3cd8f66cbab0ed2f0dd8fa419bf.png

Here's the channel guide in the HDHomeRun app.  It pops up on the right of the screen (it has pop outs to show upcoming shows on each channel):

image.thumb.png.49dd55e7798b889d76be400663c22142.png

Here's the Plex Channels view in the channel guide:

image.thumb.png.4c3ad4ee9ce188b51c72175bf69f1506.png

That's sweet.  So depending how many streams at the same time you will have, hence the hdhomerun connects with plex. 

Btw. Do you get the features of skipping advertisings during shows, or things like that?

6 minutes ago, gacpac said:

@Hoopster I'm just assuming here. But aren't this 2 models the same but updated?

image.png.ad41484671ddd00d08f19961e09aa9e0.pngimage.png.7638baf4559016443911f6da4a6e7cf2.png

Yes, the one on the left is the latest (version 5) model.  The one on the right is version 4 (that's the one I have).  There is really no functional difference other than the newer model has no activity lights for the two tuners and it has more sensitive tuners. 

24 minutes ago, gacpac said:

Do you get the features of skipping advertisings during shows, or things like that?

Yes, Plex has a built-in commercial skip functionality.  It records the whole show with commercials and when the recording ends it removes the commercials.  It works fairly well, but sometimes it leaves in portions of commercials.

Yes, Plex has a built-in commercial skip functionality.  It records the whole show with commercials and when the recording ends it removes the commercials.  It works fairly well, but sometimes it leaves in portions of commercials.
Man that's perfect. I'll get that right away.

2 minutes ago, Ascii227 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, forcing an update has fixed the issue for me.

Great, thanks for posting.

@jumperalex 

Atempting to upgrade to: 1.15.0.659-xxxxxxxxx
2019-02-16 17:22:34 URL:https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.15.0.659-xxxxxxxxx/debian/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-xxxxxxxxx_amd64.deb [81547030/81547030] -> "/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-xxxxxxxxx_amd64.deb" [1]
(Reading database ... 10486 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-xxxxxxxxx_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.15.0.659-xxxxxxxxx) over (1.14.1.5488-xxxxxxxxx) ...
Setting up plexmediaserver (1.15.0.659-xxxxxxxxx) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init/plexmediaserver.conf ...

Working for me, double check the link you're using, and you have signed into PlexPass on your server before attempting to upgrade right?

Edited by CHBMB
3 hours ago, jumperalex said:

Resurrecting this a bit ... so based on what you said I do indeed see that version 1.15.0.659 is available as a plexpass verison for me. But my log says it still isn't available.

Atempting to upgrade to: 1.15.0.659-xxx
https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.15.0.659-xxx/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-xxx_amd64.deb:
2019-02-16 10:09:37 ERROR 404: Not Found.

# Upgrade attempt failed, this could be because either #
# plex update site is down, local network issues, or #
# you were trying to get a version that simply doesn't #
# exist, check over the VERSION variable thoroughly & #
# correct it or try again later. #

I've been running for quite some time and updates have occurred in the past. I'm on 1.14.1.5488 right now. I recall a while back seeing an update issue but I ignored it at the time and it "went away" some time later when I next looked. I chalked it up to resolved connection issues, but now I'm thinking it "went away" because the plexpass version moved to stable and the download succeeded.

I do see mention on the git readme about "IMPORTANT NOTE:- YOU CANNOT UPDATE TO A PLEXPASS ONLY (BETA) VERSION IF YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN WITH A PLEXPASS ACCOUNT" which makes me ask, logged in where? inside my plex docker instance? yup, done that. In a parameter of the docker set-up? I don't see where to do that. On my desktop I can download the 1.15 verison, and did as a test. But the link for THAT is "https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.15.0.659-xxx/debian/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-xxx_amd64.deb which is different than where the dockers seems to be attempting to pull from. While logged into the plex.tv website the docker link doesn't work from my browser either. But maybe the deb version is what I should be testing against?

Any help is appreciated and by all means tell me what other info I might need to provide.

Judging by that log, you need to update your plex image/container

1 hour ago, aptalca said:

Judging by that log, you need to update your plex image/container

I update every month on schedule. Forcing a docker update now ... yup, there are updates ... done ... and there I can now see it grabbing the new plexpass version in the log using the same url that I said I found on plex.tv myself.

That is rather annoying 😛 But now I know.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, jumperalex said:

I update every month on schedule. Forcing a docker update now ... yup, there are updates ... done ... and there I can now see it grabbing the new plexpass version in the log using the same url that I said I found on plex.tv myself.

That is rather annoying 😛 But now I know.

Thanks.

Most of our images don't update apps inside the container so not updating the image for a month is ok. But for apps that update inside the container like this plexpass version, you should make sure you are always on the latest image, otherwise it may break (like it did this time but could have been a lot worse)

2 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Most of our images don't update apps inside the container so not updating the image for a month is ok. But for apps that update inside the container like this plexpass version, you should make sure you are always on the latest image, otherwise it may break (like it did this time but could have been a lot worse)

haha fair play. I've never had any other "worse" problems. But yeah now I know. I wonder if that might be something worth adding as a caution actually in the docker overview box? "Note: This Docker image is more dependent on an up-to-date image than you might be used to. Any application problems may be solved by a docker update" or something like that ... Just saying.

And saying Thank You!

6 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Great, thanks for posting.

Apologies for getting this wrong, but still having the same issue after forcing the latest update. i am able to browse around my library, but still trying to play anything results in the transcoder process crash error. Again, if i revert to tag 168 everything works fine again. is there any info i can retrieve from my system to help pinppint why this might be? Thanks very much.

Apologies for getting this wrong, but still having the same issue after forcing the latest update. i am able to browse around my library, but still trying to play anything results in the transcoder process crash error. Again, if i revert to tag 168 everything works fine again. is there any info i can retrieve from my system to help pinppint why this might be? Thanks very much.
Try a force update. Alternatively switch on advanced and remove Plex and any orphaned images from your docker screen.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Try a force update. Alternatively switch on advanced and remove Plex and any orphaned images from your docker screen.

Thankyou for the advice, I have done a forced update several times now. I always have advanced mode on, but dont have any orphaned docker images. LATEST tag on the plex docker is giving me transcoder crash errors trying to play anything, just switching it back to 168 and restarting the docker makes everything play fine.

I am a plexpass subscriber, will this have anything to do with it? Mind you I wouldnt have hardware transcoding available to me if I wasnt!

Is there anything else I can try? Thanks again

EDIT: Adding my plex docker logs after forcing an update on LATEST tag, just incase it helps.

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Atempting to upgrade to: 1.15.0.659-9311f93fd
2019-02-17 08:19:09 URL:https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.15.0.659-9311f93fd/debian/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-9311f93fd_amd64.deb [81547030/81547030] -> "/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-9311f93fd_amd64.deb" [1]
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-9311f93fd_amd64.deb ...
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-9311f93fd_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.15.0.659-9311f93fd) over (1.14.1.5488-cc260c476) ...
Setting up plexmediaserver (1.15.0.659-9311f93fd) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init/plexmediaserver.conf ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
Starting Plex Media Server.

Edited by Ascii227

I started hitting the transcoder issue as well. The reason I didn't notice it before is because it works fine on mp4. But mkvs cause a transcoder error.

Since it works for mp4s I'm convinced it's the new Plex server 1.15 and not docker related.

Tag 168 is unable to update to 1.15 (due to change in package location on Plex servers) and that's why it works fine.

EDIT: some mkvs play fine, I'm at a loss. Most likely plex transcoder issues. They do use a newer ffmpeg build in 1.15

Edited by aptalca
32 minutes ago, aptalca said:

I started hitting the transcoder issue as well. The reason I didn't notice it before is because it works fine on mp4. But mkvs cause a transcoder error.

Since it works for mp4s I'm convinced it's the new Plex server 1.15 and not docker related.

Tag 168 is unable to update to 1.15 (due to change in package location on Plex servers) and that's why it works fine.

EDIT: some mkvs play fine, I'm at a loss. Most likely plex transcoder issues. They do use a newer ffmpeg build in 1.15 

Thanks for confirming. Now that I look in the logs I see the upgrade error for tag 168. I will have a sift through the plex forums to see if anybody else is posting any similar issues with 1.15.

Please do post back if you find any more info.

Edited by Ascii227
On 2/17/2019 at 5:45 PM, aptalca said:

I was hoping this was the issue but no luck :

Unfortunately Plex specifically state that they dont support hw transcoding through a docker image, and so they wont touch this with a barge pole.

Is anybody seeing this issue who isnt using a docker image?

(Not much chance in this thread I know but worth asking!)

11 minutes ago, Ascii227 said:

Unfortunately Plex specifically state that they dont support hw transcoding through a docker image, and so they wont touch this with a barge pole.

Is anybody seeing this issue who isnt using a docker image?

(Not much chance in this thread I know but worth asking!)

This is going to be of no help to you in resolving your issue, but,

• I am using Plex in a docker (LSIO container)
  • My PMS version is the latest 1.15.0.659
  • Hardware transcoding is setup in the container and is working - I tested 3 video and forced a transcode - all showed (hw)/(hw) decode and encode
  • Every video I played was an MKV produced with either MakeMKV docker or Handbrake docker (also using the QSV hardware transcode function)
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

This is going to be of no help to you in resolving your issue, but,

• I am using Plex in a docker (LSIO container)
  • My PMS version is the latest 1.15.0.659
  • Hardware transcoding is setup in the container and is working - I tested 3 video and forced a transcode - all showed (hw)/(hw) decode and encode
  • Every video I played was an MKV produced with either MakeMKV docker or Handbrake docker (also using the QSV hardware transcode function)

No but this is all good troubleshooting info, thankyou. Are you using the '--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri' switch in the extra parameters field for the docker?

Edited by Ascii227