[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

7 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Let me give it another try. Attached the mount on Unraid command line. Also the docker run command below:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex1' --net='host' -e TZ="Asia/Shanghai" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/':'/data':'rw' -v '/tmp':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/cache/Docker/PlexMediaServer/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

<removed>

Unraid mount.txt

I have looked at my own Plex container and every folder up to /mnt/cache/system/appdata/plex/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Codecs/EasyAudioEncoder-141-linux-ubuntu-x86_64/EasyAudioEncoder/ have exec permission set, so I think yours also do, but do check it by command line on unraid.

None of the mounts have noexec set, so shouldn't be an issue.

You could try to execute a chmod -R 777 on /mnt/cache/Docker/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Codecs/ just to see if it works, as I remember there was someone having an issue with EAC codec some pages back and it was fixed by changing permissions.

It might also be an issue using /tmp for transcoding. The plex user (abc inside the container) might not be able to execute anything from there. You might want to try to use a folder for the transcoding on your ssd instead. Just edit the host path for the /transcode mapping and set it to a folder on your ssd.

For some annoying reason recently I keep getting server not powerful enough message. I did eventually change my plex to transcode to ram rather than ssd but looking at stats I'm not hitting anywhere near using the 24gb ram.

Hoping it's just a version thing and will be fixed in a next update.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, bally12345 said:

For some annoying reason recently I keep getting server not powerful enough message. I did eventually change my plex to transcode to ram rather than ssd but looking at stats I'm not hitting anywhere near using the 24gb ram.

I only got it when I accidentally enabled pgs subs (forced transcode) on a high bitrate h265 file on my low power server. If the transcode rate is less than 1x, you'll get that message. Could there be an issue with the write speeds on the drive that causes a bottleneck and a low transcode rate? 

I only got it when I accidentally enabled pgs subs (forced transcode) on a high bitrate h265 file on my low power server. If the transcode rate is less than 1x, you'll get that message. Could there be an issue with the write speeds on the drive that causes a bottleneck and a low transcode rate? 
I pretty much always enable srt subs but it's only recently iv seen it.

Dual xeons 12 core 24 threads with 24gb ram. Disks speeds are fine AFAIK but wondering if its because the disks were spun down.

4 hours ago, saarg said:

You could try to execute a chmod -R 777 on /mnt/cache/Docker/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Codecs/ just to see if it works, as I remember there was someone having an issue with EAC codec some pages back and it was fixed by changing permissions.

It might also be an issue using /tmp for transcoding. The plex user (abc inside the container) might not be able to execute anything from there. You might want to try to use a folder for the transcoding on your ssd instead. Just edit the host path for the /transcode mapping and set it to a folder on your ssd.

Hooray, thanks for your help! The permission change solved my issues. Now, all movies are playing well.

Let me also switch the transcoding directory directory though. What's the default folder on the SSD to use? I know probably everything works, but I like to keep default (and not create unnecessary new folders if not needed).

7 hours ago, bally12345 said:

Just setup unraid and this docker and I am experiencing similar issues.

On LAN, I have no issues streaming/transcoding anything but when I'm connecting remotely, I cannot play any files.

The files will play for a few seconds then buffer.  Switching the quality of transcode does not help.

Before I switched over to unraid, I was using an Nvidia Shield TV and was able to watch remotely without this issue, so I do not think this is a network issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am trying to change my Plex account. I signed out from account #1 from the unraid docker and tried to sign in from my account #2.

Somehow, this does not work and it does not allow me to use the existing database on the Unraid docker. I used to be able to do that, but forgot how I did it. Something around a message "PMS found an aborted database, do you want to adapt it". Not sure how I can trigger this though.

Currently I am getting the following message after starting the server. Any thoughts?

"Looking for servers" with spinning ball on top-left. In middle, "get your plexserver" and "download plex media server".

Thanks!!!

7 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Hooray, thanks for your help! The permission change solved my issues. Now, all movies are playing well.

Let me also switch the transcoding directory directory though. What's the default folder on the SSD to use? I know probably everything works, but I like to keep default (and not create unnecessary new folders if not needed).

Thera are no default transcode directory. Add a new cache only share or use path inside another share. Up to you. 

I feel like I'm being stupid but I can't get Plex running anymore. I've had Plex running perfectly using binhex' container for about two years now, but a recent 'oops' moment has resulted in me setting up all my containers again. I've tried re-installing the binhex container using the same template but it failed to find my server. After some frustration I just decided to try a new container (this one).

So I've

1. Set up the container with my path mappings

2. Started the container and launched the web ui (:32400/web)

3. Logged in using my credentials

Now I see a message "A server could not be found. Download and install Plex Media Server, and it will appear here."

I had cleared all of my authorised devices earlier, and then changed my password. Now when I look at my authorised devices all I see is my web browser - Where I would expect to see a server instance.

Have I missed a step somewhere?

EDIT: It might be worth noting that I am accessing my server remotely through OpenVPN. I'm access the web interface at:

http://192.168.0.73:32400

Edited by danger781

On container startup I see this when viewing the log:

#####################################################
# Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web #
# and restart the docker, because there was no #
# plex token found in the preference file #

I assume this is referring to:

`/mnt/user/Docker Config/Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml`

I've tried deleting this and restarting the container again but it doesn't make a difference.

Edited by danger781
2 hours ago, saarg said:

Thera are no default transcode directory. Add a new cache only share or use path inside another share. Up to you. 

If the transcode folder is empty in the server settings, where does plex use as the transcode folder? In appdata, or in the docker image file?

59 minutes ago, danger781 said:

On container startup I see this when viewing the log:

# Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web #
# and restart the docker, because there was no #
# plex token found in the preference file #

I assume this is referring to:

`/mnt/user/Docker Config/Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml`

I've tried deleting this and restarting the container again but it doesn't make a difference.

I've manually added my PlexOnlineToken value to my Preferences.xml and restarted the container. This gave some success as the other fields such as PlexOnlineUsername and PlexOnlineEmail were populated successfully into the Preferences.xml file. However I am still not seeing a server...

51 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

If the transcode folder is empty in the server settings, where does plex use as the transcode folder? In appdata, or in the docker image file?

I was speaking of on the host side. If you haven't mapped any path, the transcode folder will be whatever plex use as default and it will most likely be inside the docker.img.

10 minutes ago, danger781 said:

I've manually added my PlexOnlineToken value to my Preferences.xml and restarted the container. This gave some success as the other fields such as PlexOnlineUsername and PlexOnlineEmail were populated successfully into the Preferences.xml file. However I am still not seeing a server...

I think this has to do with using a VPN. I don't remember how to get around it, but it should be buried in this thread somewhere... 😑

18 minutes ago, saarg said:

I think this has to do with using a VPN. I don't remember how to get around it, but it should be buried in this thread somewhere... 😑

I've managed to figure it out. I set up an SSH tunnel as per instructions here:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288586-installation/

https://www.skyverge.com/blog/how-to-set-up-an-ssh-tunnel-with-putty/

Then followed this sequence:

1. Stop the container

2. Delete the preferences.xml

3. Restart the container

4. Access the URL: http://localhost:8888/web/index.html

Good learning experience :)

31 minutes ago, saarg said:

I was speaking of on the host side. If you haven't mapped any path, the transcode folder will be whatever plex use as default and it will most likely be inside the docker.img.

No it is inside the plex library path. In other words, in appdata.

• Like 1

In the docker template, I've given plex Readonly access to my media share:

/mnt/user/MediaServer/

I now have DVR so plex needs a RW location to save recordings.

Can I add to the template a RW nested location, e.g.

/mnt/user/MediaServer/PlexDVR/

and maintain all folders except PlexDVR (and sub-folders) as readonly?

I'm unsure how nested permissions works with unraid.

16 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

I'm unsure how nested permissions works with unraid.

If the mappings are like

/media <--> /mnt/user/MediaServer/  Read only

/dvr <--> /mnt/user/MediaServer/PlexDVR/ Read write

Then,

Any attempt to access the plexDVR folder within the container via /media/PlexDVR will result in read-only access

Accessing the plexDVR folder via /dvr will result in read-write access

• Like 1

I'd now like to enable video preview thumbnails. As these will be created in appdata, this is a SSD cache drive. Is it possible to move the video preview thumbnails folder somewhere else, like a seperate SSD or something?

My appdata is also backed-up using CA backup but i'd also like to exclude these thumbnails as i'm expecting them to get quite large.

3 hours ago, jj_uk said:

I'd now like to enable video preview thumbnails. As these will be created in appdata, this is a SSD cache drive. Is it possible to move the video preview thumbnails folder somewhere else, like a seperate SSD or something?

My appdata is also backed-up using CA backup but i'd also like to exclude these thumbnails as i'm expecting them to get quite large.

For the first part, yes. The thumbs are in a folder called media (iirc). You can move that folder to the array and create a symlink in its place. You need to make sure that the symlinked location is accessible from inside the container. 

Once it is symlinked and out of your appdata folder, ca backup should not back up that location (unless you specifically select it) 

Just setting up the Plex docker on a new Unraid server, and I can't get linuxserver/plex to show in the Template list when I try to add the container. I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly, but it has been a while. :)

Added https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex to the Template repositories window.

Click on the Add Container button, but under Templates there is no template to choose.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Dave001 said:

Just setting up the Plex docker on a new Unraid server, and I can't get linuxserver/plex to show in the Template list when I try to add the container. I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly, but it has been a while. :)

Added https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex to the Template repositories window.

Click on the Add Container button, but under Templates there is no template to choose.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Install Community Applications https://forums.unraid.net/topic/38582-plug-in-community-applications/ and forget about the docker repositories section, the add container button, etc.