Jump to content
linuxserver.io

[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

4454 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I'm working on moving Plex Server from running on my Mac Pro to run on an unraid docket (linuxserver/Plex).  I think I have it running ok at the moment but I'm not sure how to upgrade the Plex code.  I thought since it was in a docker you just needed to restart the docker but that's not doing it.  

 

How do you update the plex code in my Docker?

 

Thank you

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, NotesIn9 said:

How do you update the plex code in my Docker?

'Check for Updates' button in the Docker tab.  If there are any updates you can click on 'apply update' for a specific docker container or 'Update All' button to apply available updates for all containers.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

'Check for Updates' button in the Docker tab.  If there are any updates you can click on 'apply update' for a specific docker container or 'Update All' button to apply available updates for all containers.

Ahhh Perfect.  Thank you very much!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Hoopster said:

'Check for Updates' button in the Docker tab.  If there are any updates you can click on 'apply update' for a specific docker container or 'Update All' button to apply available updates for all containers.

To update plex itself, it's enough to restart the container.

Updating the container will only get the latest public version.

 

Be sure to set the correct variable for version to get the latest update that you are entitled to.

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone else getting errors with the Plex Docker relating to Python or Libcrypto?

 

Sep 10 15:30:30 CACHE kernel: Plex Media Scan[22769]: segfault at 300000010 ip 000014923da39097 sp 000014923430b0d0 error 4 in libcrypto.so.1.0.0[14923d928000+204000]
Sep 11 22:11:31 CACHE kernel: traps: Plex Media Scan[10223] general protection ip:1484de7b85dc sp:7fff0d1091a0 error:0 in libpython2.7.so.1.0[1484de6c6000+195000]
Sep 12 04:51:47 CACHE kernel: Plex Media Scan[14863]: segfault at 300000010 ip 000014e711121097 sp 000014e7039d2fe0 error 4 in libcrypto.so.1.0.0[14e711010000+204000]
Sep 12 06:01:47 CACHE kernel: Plex Media Scan[27341]: segfault at 30000001c ip 000014d6f5f21097 sp 000014d6ec7f30d0 error 4 in libcrypto.so.1.0.0[14d6f5e10000+204000]
Sep 12 09:06:50 CACHE kernel: Plex Media Scan[28297]: segfault at 51 ip 000014daa525a097 sp 000014da97b12fe0 error 4 in libcrypto.so.1.0.0[14daa5149000+204000]
Sep 12 16:41:51 CACHE kernel: traps: Plex Media Scan[21409] trap stack segment ip:14e7b94ab4a9 sp:7ffe6fee2f70 error:0 in libpython2.7.so.1.0[14e7b93b9000+195000]

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/24/2019 at 10:28 PM, Chezro said:

With this screenshot in mind, are you saying I would need to add host paths and remove the ones here or would that break this particular container?:

image.thumb.png.2f639a0e983f6ca36aeddd5905dae87b.png


Considering I have only one path as is...I'm not sure I'm going to be able to match as neatly as before. I had three separately shareable libraries, a pre-roll and plugins. Is there a plex option that's better for me? Re-scanning isn't that much of an issue since I rename everything with filebot but separating my libraries, gpu transcoding and.....if possible, having a preroll, is.  

This is my current setup: 

image.thumb.png.a1222af46231288d2a5920f66f31ab66.png

 

 

 

Quick update. When you add libraries you can select which specific folder you dive into for each library. It was just a matter of setting my root for /movies and /tv and them manually setting up the library with a specific folder from inside each respective root directory. 

For instance: 

 

/tv is the root for tv shows. 

 

I moved my Anime folder into the folder I selected as my tv root folder and chose the folder /tv/Anime when I selected "BROWSE FOR MEDIA FOLDER".

 

It should also be mentioned that you can add a path to plex and still navigate to it the same way. It will be under the root structure itself "/":

My transcode folder for example: 

 

image.png.fcf422101762237573f51cc84ea34e6b.png

 

I could technically add it as a library....not that I'd do that...>_>

Hope this helps my noobs. 

Edited by Chezro

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/13/2019 at 7:34 AM, axipher said:

Anyone else getting errors with the Plex Docker relating to Python or Libcrypto?

 


Sep 10 15:30:30 CACHE kernel: Plex Media Scan[22769]: segfault at 300000010 ip 000014923da39097 sp 000014923430b0d0 error 4 in libcrypto.so.1.0.0[14923d928000+204000]
Sep 11 22:11:31 CACHE kernel: traps: Plex Media Scan[10223] general protection ip:1484de7b85dc sp:7fff0d1091a0 error:0 in libpython2.7.so.1.0[1484de6c6000+195000]
Sep 12 04:51:47 CACHE kernel: Plex Media Scan[14863]: segfault at 300000010 ip 000014e711121097 sp 000014e7039d2fe0 error 4 in libcrypto.so.1.0.0[14e711010000+204000]
Sep 12 06:01:47 CACHE kernel: Plex Media Scan[27341]: segfault at 30000001c ip 000014d6f5f21097 sp 000014d6ec7f30d0 error 4 in libcrypto.so.1.0.0[14d6f5e10000+204000]
Sep 12 09:06:50 CACHE kernel: Plex Media Scan[28297]: segfault at 51 ip 000014daa525a097 sp 000014da97b12fe0 error 4 in libcrypto.so.1.0.0[14daa5149000+204000]
Sep 12 16:41:51 CACHE kernel: traps: Plex Media Scan[21409] trap stack segment ip:14e7b94ab4a9 sp:7ffe6fee2f70 error:0 in libpython2.7.so.1.0[14e7b93b9000+195000]

 

I have been noticing this as well, I have been ignoring it with no consequences but am curious if there is a resolution...

 

Edit: for about a week now I've also been noticing issues where randomly an item chosen from the ui will spin for up to 10 seconds before loading the poster and Metadata. Sometimes the chosen item will spin for 10-15 seconds before it even shows a percentage (and it doesn't show as playing in the Plex ui). There doesn't seem to be any consistency on what content or content type I try. I've already scanned libraries, emptied trash, cleaned bundles, and optimized my libraries. 

 

I see a few slow queries but they don't seem to correspond to when I experience these issues. 

Edited by weirdcrap

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sorry that I am so dense. I'm trying to transition over from the limetech plex to the linuxserver. I see guides everywhere, but I don't know how to create the new docker with the new plex. I am on unraid 6.7.2. Can somebody give me specific instructions? I looked through this thread, but there are so many pages and haven't been able to find specific instructions. Thanks.

 

Nevermind. Figured it out.

Edited by nwbee
Im a dumbass

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, queen-adreena said:

Is it normal to be getting updates for this docker every day... sometimes a couple of times a day?

I found, that recently, all kinds of dockers were getting Zero Byte downloads and non-removable updates. i.e. You'd update it, it wouldn't really do anything but restart the container. Then when you checked it again, it wanted another upgrade.

 

I rebooted the server and this went away. If it happens again I'll definitely file a bug report. It had been up for maybe 45+ days?

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, BCinBC said:

I found, that recently, all kinds of dockers were getting Zero Byte downloads and non-removable updates. i.e. You'd update it, it wouldn't really do anything but restart the container. Then when you checked it again, it wanted another upgrade.

 

I rebooted the server and this went away. If it happens again I'll definitely file a bug report. It had been up for maybe 45+ days?

There is already a bug report-

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/dockers-wanting-to-update-but-dont-in-the-end-r618/

 

The fix will be included in 6.8, but in the meantime you can make sure that CA Auto Update is current. It will apply the fix automatically.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

There is already a bug report-

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/dockers-wanting-to-update-but-dont-in-the-end-r618/

 

The fix will be included in 6.8, but in the meantime you can make sure that CA Auto Update is current. It will apply the fix automatically.

Thanks for that! Now I know why it got "fixed!"

 

I have had CA Auto Update running for ages, but once I did the reboot maybe the the fix kicked in?  I've been up about 6 days now and the issue is certainly gone now. 

Share this post


Link to post

On mobile so apologies in advance 

 

 

I'm having an issue which I cannot seem to fix 

Plex software transcoding works fine but as soon as I enable HW transcoding it APPEARS to function (h.264 hw) > SD (hw) shows in dashboard but the file never starts Plex reports no network traffic but cpu usage goes up 60-80% 

 

I have rebuilt everything bar unraid so far, I am actually planning to rollback this evening  I have the usual modprobe i915 chmod -r 777 in go and pass --device /Dev/dri (from memory but it's copied from the numerous posts I've read) it used to work perhaps 2/3 days ago but now it's just a black screen or constant spinning circle. If I disable hw transcoding it will instantly play  

 

Uefi boot enabled

/Dev/dri is present with card0 and the other one render0123 (again sorry mobile memory) 

 

No ipmi present on board 

 

Same is true with other docker containers for Plex but I've always used Linux server so asking here :)

 

6.7.latest 

I5-6500 

16gb ram 

GB z270 

 

 

Please any advice before i go insane. 

 

 

Thanks

Exa

 

 

 

EDIT now at a computer again;

 

So here is the docker setup (running plexpass version) 

image.png.76d52afc065bdd9b6589b65cdfd13de8.png

 

 

here is /dev/dri 

image.png.ab7174823e36fd7c534d7daf21c05f25.png

 

 

go file now just says modprobe i915 as per the instructions on page one (i did previously do the chmod but this apparently is not needed, it made no odds anyway) 

 

 

i have not touched syslinux.cfg at all on this build 

 

so what happens is 

 

start a stream anything at all from chrome/firefox/any computer 

working fine

turn on transcoding even on the lowest of the low settings 

image.png.a1ae15ab6467ffd6856c692b2d541c86.png

 

and this appears awesome its working perfectly 

image.png.d97d580823212bef51e322d2f9519521.png 

confirmed in Tautulli 

image.png.37008d851adec3eaeee28c0ef547ad74.png

 

 

as we can see plex appears to have done its thing and is transcoding but for the love of me i cannot make it actually play i get a black screen with a spinning circle (no screenie you can imagine what that looks like) 

 

the true confusion comes from using anything android based 

 

so direct play on my office tv 

image.png.dc009bcf8fb4e415bb4d2ebf110838bc.png

 

force transcoding and it will drop back to SOFTWARE transcoding it wont use hardware, it does however now work 

image.png.fe7e7fb02575c94c50a8e7128da6891f.png

 

 

If it uses HW it fails to do anything, but it only does HW transcoding if i am using a PC, if i use an android device it only uses software transcoding. 

 

 

sorry for the two parter 

 

 

cheers

 

exa

 

 

 

Edited by Exa
adding more details and screenshots

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/15/2019 at 12:25 PM, weirdcrap said:

I have been noticing this as well, I have been ignoring it with no consequences but am curious if there is a resolution...

 

Edit: for about a week now I've also been noticing issues where randomly an item chosen from the ui will spin for up to 10 seconds before loading the poster and Metadata. Sometimes the chosen item will spin for 10-15 seconds before it even shows a percentage (and it doesn't show as playing in the Plex ui). There doesn't seem to be any consistency on what content or content type I try. I've already scanned libraries, emptied trash, cleaned bundles, and optimized my libraries. 

 

I see a few slow queries but they don't seem to correspond to when I experience these issues. 

I've been noticing the same messages in my unraid log:

image.png.f2284371213dcda74661f8254ae07b2d.png

 

every seems to keep working but these errors keep coming back, any ideas?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hey everyone, I'm still at a complete loss most of the time when it comes to docker containers and such and am fumbling my way through this. I'm currently trying to transition from the limetech plex docker to the linuxserver one. I've got the linuxserver one installed and I configured it as best I could. 

 

So I opened the web ui and it showed all my movies and such just as it was in the limetech version but no media would play. I clicked on my Movies library in plex and chose "edit" and noticed the path was set to "/MyMedia/Movies" instead of "/movies". So when I changed it it reimported all my movies - some with the correct cover art, watched status, collection info, etc but some are using different cover art and such. Also the "Recently added" section is not correct anymore. 

 

This is extremely disheartening as I was hoping the transition would be seamless. I must have missed something somewhere but I pointed my appdata to my PlexMediaServer appdata folder like in the instructions and set up all my media shares for the linuxserver docker correctly from what I can tell, for instance Movies are "/mnt/user/MEDIA/Movies/" in the docker container settings, TV is the same just in /MEDIA/Movies/, etc. 

 

Can I copy my database backup from the other day into this new docker folder as if i was doing a database restore and return everything to the way it was? Is there any way I can undo my screw up? 

Edited by BudgetAudiophile

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BudgetAudiophile said:

Hey everyone, I'm still at a complete loss most of the time when it comes to docker containers and such and am fumbling my way through this. I'm currently trying to transition from the limetech plex docker to the linuxserver one. I've got the linuxserver one installed and I configured it as best I could. 

 

So I opened the web ui and it showed all my movies and such just as it was in the limetech version but no media would play. I clicked on my Movies library in plex and chose "edit" and noticed the path was set to "/MyMedia/Movies" instead of "/movies". So when I changed it it reimported all my movies - some with the correct cover art, watched status, collection info, etc but some are using different cover art and such. Also the "Recently added" section is not correct anymore. 

 

This is extremely disheartening as I was hoping the transition would be seamless. I must have missed something somewhere but I pointed my appdata to my PlexMediaServer appdata folder like in the instructions and set up all my media shares for the linuxserver docker correctly from what I can tell, for instance Movies are "/mnt/user/MEDIA/Movies/" in the docker container settings, TV is the same just in /MEDIA/Movies/, etc. 

 

Can I copy my database backup from the other day into this new docker folder as if i was doing a database restore and return everything to the way it was? Is there any way I can undo my screw up? 

You didn't use the same volume mapping on our container as you did on the LimeTech one.

If you still have a backup of the appdata from the old container, it's probably best to delete ours and the appdata folder for it and start again, but with the correct volume mapping.

Share this post


Link to post

Alright, so I deleted the linuxserver docker restored my appdata to before i made the change. I have the limetech docker back up and running. What settings would i need to change in the linuxserver docker to have the correct volume mapping? 

Share this post


Link to post

This my setup. I just have three libraries. Feel free to make more if you need. You also need to verify each libraries path in the plex GUI.

 

a2ebdb91830c1e8395ca19aca92575ac.jpg&key=b7d17654af17d9e931ce031d73a1f74b23afba20b9f1343f8ef558a7bd812c48

 

a80c35db0747d5d6048297ab12b6ec00.jpg&key=f97d3bae904c31616244c846a168ac78e515d2e688adc3d90c7a7a7c36a4578d

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post

Alright, so I feel a little dumb now as I didn't realize there was an option for further settings for each library in the docker like you showed. This makes a little more sense I think now. Lets see if I'm on the right track. So a little background, I have 4 libraries in Plex - Movies, TV, Music, and Movies UHD. Here is how my limetech docker is set up and a screenshot of my movies library settings inside plex: 

 

1_limetech_setup.thumb.PNG.5e067ac1d886167e7b8f89d7e758bdbd.PNG

 

2_limetech_media_configuration.PNG.4c224f0d52b28aedd753a5839a98f9c6.PNG

 

For some reason the screenshot of my plex settings won't upload but inside of plex when I click on Edit for my Movies library it shows the folder as "/MyMedia/Movies"

 

So based on those screenshots this is how I'm assuming the linuxserver docker needs to be setup: 

4_linuxserver_setup.thumb.PNG.c7cb623dfe258481469615cdb1d05572.PNG

 

5_linuxserver_plex_configuration.PNG.9e6b68bcca7f9477aaeffc17d86d80d9.PNG

 

Does this appear to be correct? 

Share this post


Link to post

Excuse me gentlebeings.

I have used Plex Server on Windows for a few months. Took the plunge and assembled a media server/NAS. I want to use the Intel hardware transcoding abilities on my CPU. I have been using UnRaid for two weeks now and am still a lost puppy. Plex server is giving me an error. I am pretty sure I have multiple issues at the moment. My GoogleFu failed me just searching the error. Permissions were the common solution but this container avoids those issues.

Here is the Plex server log when I try to play a 5k mp4 video on a Fire HD10 from my server in my signature. I expect Plex to transcode the file down for the tablet. Extra parameter for device is set in the container. Go file is edited.

What settings should I check or set?


Thank you for your time.

plextranscodebarf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Well, If it were me, I would look at the settings in the web ui of the transcoder to start. There are some optimization settings there. You mention you are trying to do 5k, that's pretty intensive. 

 

I'd start my search here:

 

image.thumb.png.6d26924b494121e9016943f1f2bbf8d6.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/19/2019 at 8:19 PM, Exa said:

On mobile so apologies in advance 

 

 

I'm having an issue which I cannot seem to fix 

Plex software transcoding works fine but as soon as I enable HW transcoding it APPEARS to function (h.264 hw) > SD (hw) shows in dashboard but the file never starts Plex reports no network traffic but cpu usage goes up 60-80% 

 

I have rebuilt everything bar unraid so far, I am actually planning to rollback this evening  I have the usual modprobe i915 chmod -r 777 in go and pass --device /Dev/dri (from memory but it's copied from the numerous posts I've read) it used to work perhaps 2/3 days ago but now it's just a black screen or constant spinning circle. If I disable hw transcoding it will instantly play  

 

Uefi boot enabled

/Dev/dri is present with card0 and the other one render0123 (again sorry mobile memory) 

 

No ipmi present on board 

 

Same is true with other docker containers for Plex but I've always used Linux server so asking here :)

 

6.7.latest 

I5-6500 

16gb ram 

GB z270 

 

 

Please any advice before i go insane. 

 

 

Thanks

Exa

 

 

 

EDIT now at a computer again;

 

So here is the docker setup (running plexpass version) 

image.png.76d52afc065bdd9b6589b65cdfd13de8.png

 

 

here is /dev/dri 

image.png.ab7174823e36fd7c534d7daf21c05f25.png

 

 

go file now just says modprobe i915 as per the instructions on page one (i did previously do the chmod but this apparently is not needed, it made no odds anyway) 

 

 

i have not touched syslinux.cfg at all on this build 

 

so what happens is 

 

start a stream anything at all from chrome/firefox/any computer 

working fine

turn on transcoding even on the lowest of the low settings 

image.png.a1ae15ab6467ffd6856c692b2d541c86.png

 

and this appears awesome its working perfectly 

image.png.d97d580823212bef51e322d2f9519521.png 

confirmed in Tautulli 

image.png.37008d851adec3eaeee28c0ef547ad74.png

 

 

as we can see plex appears to have done its thing and is transcoding but for the love of me i cannot make it actually play i get a black screen with a spinning circle (no screenie you can imagine what that looks like) 

 

the true confusion comes from using anything android based 

 

so direct play on my office tv 

image.png.dc009bcf8fb4e415bb4d2ebf110838bc.png

 

force transcoding and it will drop back to SOFTWARE transcoding it wont use hardware, it does however now work 

image.png.fe7e7fb02575c94c50a8e7128da6891f.png

 

 

If it uses HW it fails to do anything, but it only does HW transcoding if i am using a PC, if i use an android device it only uses software transcoding. 

 

 

sorry for the two parter 

 

 

cheers

 

exa

 

 

 

Sorry to bump myself but does anyone have any ideas please? It's been a few days.

 

Cheers

 

Exa

 

Share this post


Link to post

Might not be the right place, and may have to go to the full plex support, but I'll start here. I've had this weird issue come up a couple times over the last couple weeks, and not sure what's causing it.

What's happened is that I'm playing something off my Plex server on the local LAN, and then a buddy of mine who I've shared the server with starts to play something. I've got tautulli monitoring things and sends me Slack notifications when something starts playing. What's happened is that I end up with a constant stream of updates where tautulli is sending notifications for both items that are now being played over and over and over and over and over and over....

 

Today when this happened, I just checked my Plex dashboard, and it only shows one thing playing. But the weird part is that for 8 seconds, it shows only what my buddy is playing. Then for one second it switches to my show, and then switches back to my buddy. And it does on like this on a 10s repeating loop. Tautulli was also only showing 1 active stream when in reality we both had something going on. The tautulli notifications would also occasionally get messed up, stating my buddy was playing what I was watching.

 

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/22/2019 at 7:27 AM, Exa said:

Sorry to bump myself but does anyone have any ideas please? It's been a few days.

 

Cheers

 

Exa

 

This thread is massive and not great for receiving support in my experience. You're better off asking in the Plex forums. 

Edited by weirdcrap
Your to you're

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.