[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

5071 posts in this topic Last Reply

9 hours ago, coblck said:

Was it working after you updated to 6.9.2 or has it been since you've updated ???

No idea what happened. Had nothing to do with 6.9.2 as it was running fine after the upgrade. Plex just stopped responding and was dropping any connection being made to it. Nothing obvious in the Plex logs either.

Life is too short to troubleshoot sometimes. I just deleted the whole thing, reinstalled, scanned the library again. All is up and working again. Easy.

I seem to recall that sometimes Plex 'Databases'? can get corrupt? Who knows. Anyway, all is well again and family have their tv.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go to the appdata share and look in Plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Crash Reports You will find folders for your previous versions named as the release version.

Yep, seems like the problem.   Not to be outdone... google.  And what do I find.... Hoopster's post from over a year ago. I see your post here regarding the iGPU not being enabled corr

Application Name: Plex Media Server Application Site: https://plex.tv/ Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/ Github: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex  

Posted Images

Hey all, I have been having a very odd problem and I cannot seem to find any solution to it.

I have been running a plex container on UnRAId for nearly 2 years. I'm currently running the latest docker image in 6.9.2 but this issue has been happening since before 6.9.0.

I have a P2000 that I use for HW transcoding and 32GB of RAM.

--

Every once in a while (every 24 hours up to just once in 3 weeks), I will receive a message from Uptime Robot that my Plex server is unreachable. I will be unable to access my content and am met with a message explaining that it is unable to connect. None of my libraries will load and I cannot access the server's settings. After some amount of time (1-5 hours) Plex will be available again. Usually, I've restarted the container a few times but I'm not sure if the restart was effective because Plex will still be unavailable for a while after the restart. Occasionally, I'll restart UnRAID which usually seems to fix the problem right away. I can't remember if I've ever NOT restarted the Plex container.

This problem happened this morning and I spent nearly an hour troubleshooting. After nearly 90 minutes, I was suddenly able to access Plex again. I wish that I could be more specific on what fixed it, but I had restarted the container and was typing up this post when it became accessible again.

The only change I've made is changing the Network Type from Bridge to Host (back and forth a few times). I don't really understand what the network type is lol but it was working on Bridge for about a week, then I changed it to Host after it stopped working and now it's working again. Probably a correlation and not causal since the last time it stopped working I changed it from Host back to Bridge and it started working again after some time.

This most recent time, I also changed my Appdata path from /mnt/user/appdata/plex to /mnt/cache/appdata/plex. Again, I don't think that this made any difference but if it did then awesome!

--

While watching the Plex console logs, this is what I'll see for the entire time that the server is down:

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io

To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: executing...
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Docker is used for versioning skip update check
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.

If I restart the container, then this will be appended after the message above:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: executing...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...
usermod: no changes

I was having the same problem, albeit at a much higher frequency (every day), with the Binhex-Plexpass container.

While the issue is occurring, I am unable to access Plex from my local IP (192.168.x.x:32400) as the page never loads. However, I am still able to access the GUI via app.plex.tv That's where I encounter the error message that says my Plex is unavailable.

I'm hoping to stop having issues where Plex becomes unavailable and any insight on what I've done wrong or ways to fix this issue is incredibly helpful! I've attached the server logs as well as my docker config info. There are a few unmapped paths (/movies, /tv, /music) which reappear after re-pulling the docker but all of my libraries are accessible.

plex-config-1.png

plex-config-2.png

Plex Media Server Logs_2021-04-13_08-41-03.zip

On 4/5/2021 at 12:25 AM, frodr said:

I was running the commands:

findmnt -l | grep noexec
mount | grep noexec

Innside the docker, many listings with "no exec". Trying to remove them with:

mount -o remount,rw,exec / : -> access denied?

Happy for any help. I totally useless in CLI.

Cheers,

11 hours ago, dapiedude said:

This problem happened this morning and I spent nearly an hour troubleshooting.

This problem is happening again. It started while I was watching some TV. Now my console logs are just repeating the "Starting Plex Media Player" message after I restarted the container.

Console messages below:

_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/
Brought to you by linuxserver.io
To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: executing...
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Docker is used for versioning skip update check
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

EDIT:

It looks like the database is corrupt:

Apr 13, 2021 19:44:58.310 [0x152f62038700] INFO - Plex Media Scanner v1.22.2.4282-a97b03fad - Docker Docker Container (LinuxServer.>
Apr 13, 2021 19:44:58.310 [0x152f62038700] INFO - Linux version: 5.10.28-Unraid, language: en-US
Apr 13, 2021 19:44:58.310 [0x152f62038700] INFO - Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
Apr 13, 2021 19:44:58.310 [0x152f62038700] INFO - /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Scanner --scan --refresh --section 2 --activi>
Apr 13, 2021 19:44:58.315 [0x152f62527780] DEBUG - Opening 20 database sessions to library (com.plexapp.plugins.library), SQLite 3.>
Apr 13, 2021 19:44:58.316 [0x152f62527780] INFO - SQLITE3:(nil), 283, recovered 5 frames from WAL file /config/Library/Application >
Apr 13, 2021 19:44:58.316 [0x152f62527780] ERROR - SQLITE3:(nil), 11, database corruption at line 66053 of [bf8c1b2b7a]
Apr 13, 2021 19:44:58.316 [0x152f62527780] ERROR - SQLITE3:(nil), 11, database disk image is malformed in "PRAGMA cache_size=2000"

I'm PUMPED to have a direction to go! lol Any advice on the best way to fix this issue? I just saw the official Plex documentation on potentially fixing this issue but it's from 2019 and I'm not sure if that's still up to date.

Edited by dapiedude
additional information highly relevant to solving my issue
On 4/2/2021 at 9:59 AM, raujaku said:

Your right, after going past version-1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd I can no longer transcode 4k HDR.

This is on a server using a w1290-P.

Same thing happening here.  Quick Sync HW transcode has stopped working on 4k HDR when Tone Mapping is enabled.  I can HW transcode 4K and 1080p without issue, but HDR transcode (tone mapping) has stopped working.  Disabling Tone Mapping in Plex settings fixes the issue.  

I am on Unraid v6.9.2, v1.22.2.4282 of Plex and using an i7 10700k CPU.

I have this in the Plex container log at startup...not sure if it's related:

https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/opencl/debian/plexmediaserver_opencl_amd64.deb:
2021-04-14 11:09:21 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Edited by Andiroo2
Added Unraid version
On 4/2/2021 at 12:39 AM, raujaku said:

Don't know if this has been mentions yet but, quicksync stops working after version 1.22.0.4163. I tested this across multiple containers, each with the same results.

On my system, HW transcode only breaks for tone mapping enabled 4K HDR files.  Can you check on your end too?  Is HW transcode working for other file types?

So i wonder if i still need to install nvidia-driver docker with the latest unraid and nvidia plugin?

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='PlexMediaServer' --privileged=true -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES'='all' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-a7a8907c-62bf-f2cc-595c-29393a8fd07f' -e 'PLEX_CLAIM'='claim--ID' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -p '32400:32400/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/Archiv/':'/Archiv/':'rw' -v '/tmp':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/mount_unionfs/google_vfs/':'/cloud/':'rw,slave' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer':'/config':'rw' --restart=unless-stopped --runtime=nvidia --network=filesharing -e ADVERTISE_IP="http://dns.com:32400/" -e ALLOWED_NETWORKS="192.168.86.0/24" 'linuxserver/plex'

doesnt seem to want to transcode. Its using VAAPI, one time i saw a transcode via nvidia-smi (inside docker container)

Is there a safe way to test it? and would it 100% use gpu over cpu? Currently i just go to play a file and then select 1080 or 720 or something to make it transcode

Edited by nuhll
On 4/14/2021 at 3:08 PM, Andiroo2 said:

On my system, HW transcode only breaks for tone mapping enabled 4K HDR files.  Can you check on your end too?  Is HW transcode working for other file types?

HW will work without tone mapping but what's the point lol? I'm currently on a version plex:version-1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd. The newest plex update had broken HW transcoding for comet and rocket lake cpus.

Edited by raujaku
On 4/14/2021 at 4:03 PM, Andiroo2 said:

Same thing happening here.  Quick Sync HW transcode has stopped working on 4k HDR when Tone Mapping is enabled.  I can HW transcode 4K and 1080p without issue, but HDR transcode (tone mapping) has stopped working.  Disabling Tone Mapping in Plex settings fixes the issue.  

I am on Unraid v6.9.2, v1.22.2.4282 of Plex and using an i7 10700k CPU.

I have this in the Plex container log at startup...not sure if it's related:

https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/opencl/debian/plexmediaserver_opencl_amd64.deb:
2021-04-14 11:09:21 ERROR 404: Not Found.

I rolled back to v1.21.3.4046 and HW tone mapping transcode is working again  

EDIT: ...and now I've got audio sync issues again on ATV4K.  Gonna have to play with some newer versions tomorrow.

Edited by Andiroo2
On 4/16/2021 at 9:49 PM, raujaku said:

HW will work without tone mapping but what's the point lol? I'm currently on a version plex:version-1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd. The newest plex update had broken HW transcoding for comet and rocket lake cpus.

Yep, I agree.  I was checking to see if you were experiencing the same issue as I was. 

I rolled back to docker tag linuxserver/plex:1.21.3.4046-3c1c83ba4-ls27 and I have HW transcode back for now.

EDIT: I upped this to linuxserver/plex:1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd-ls34 docker (v1.22.0.4163 per recommendation from the Plex forum thread on this issue: https://forums.plex.tv/t/4k-hdr-hevc-hw-transcoding-is-broken-on-i5-11600k-rocket-lake/707057/29)

Hoping it fixes the audio sync issue I started to notice on the older version I tried first (v1.21.3.4046).

Edited by Andiroo2

I just upgraded my plex docker to the latest version, and I discovered the following.

that remote access is no longer working that when I go in to have a look it has the right external IP address, but the word internet is greyed out and I have a red cross.

I have rechecked all my settings and all looks right.

image.png.28c398290040c30140d6f4b616e5f420.png

Update:

I have just rolled back and I am still getting the same issue:

linuxserver/plex:version-1.22.0.4163-d8c4875dd

it looks like it connect's and then loss the connection.  I have attach my log files in the hope someone can help me.

Plex Media Server Logs.zip

Edited by chris_netsmart

I had a problem after a power outage, my Plex docker would not start then it disappeared.

I tried to redownload the Plex docker. But then it started as a fresh plex docker.

So I tried CA Appdata restore. Everything seemingly worked, but it seems Plex cant reach the “old plex server and library” only the new instance from when I redownloaded the docker.
Adding a picture of what I am seeing.

unraid plex.jpg

Edited by chFresh

ty, i reclaimed the server.

but the media library saying it's empty.

that wired because restoring from ca seemingly goes w out error

every user and settings is correct. but no library 

Edited by chFresh
2 hours ago, Squid said:

To rule it all out, have you checked your port forwarding in the router?

OK I see the problem I was getting my VPN IP Address and not my ISP external IP address.

I found the course - it was my kill switch within PFSENSE that was the problem, I had it before my plex Alias

image.png.83330c09f4b14c24cadf585586bcb3fc.png

all ways the little things

Edited by chris_netsmart

So have been having an issue, when I have been downloading with NZBget, and it moves to my media share, Plex will freeze trying to scan files. I have to restart Plex to get it to load new files, and run ok. If I stop NZBget, Plex will run ok for about an hour, then freeze again.

It causes issues watching things on the same network, and also people remotely can struggle to even see the content.

Log file attached

Plex Log.txt

Help on rolling back to an earlier version.

Just realized the latest version of Plex is incompatible with ME !!   I hate the combined "Continue Watching" and "On Deck" hubs, for me this is a deal breaker.  Besides all the other small details with not being able to customize the Home Screen any longer.

Is there a way to roll back versions on the docker?  I see in the setup there is a "version" key that states "docker".  If I can roll back, would this be where the old version would be put?  What are the older versions? Is there a list?

Sorry for so many questions, as a Lifetime Plex subscriber, I've about had it.  Just not working for me anymore, unless I can roll back.

Thanks

-Keelhaulers

Edited by Keelhaulers
12 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

IIRC you should be able to use these tags- https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex/tags

Thank you for the list - much appreciated.  

I'm doing something wrong it would seem though. 

1) I've deleted my plex docker completely

2) Reinstalled docker while plugging in the tag for the version I want into the VERSION configuration

but this method still installs the latest, not really sure how to actually accomplish this.  Looking for some further advice, thank you all.

11 minutes ago, Keelhaulers said:

Thank you for the list - much appreciated.  

I'm doing something wrong it would seem though. 

1) I've deleted my plex docker completely

2) Reinstalled docker while plugging in the tag for the version I want into the VERSION configuration

but this method still installs the latest, not really sure how to actually accomplish this.  Looking for some further advice, thank you all.

per the help menu-
Add the version number to the repository field in the format linuxserver/plex:<version number>

5 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

per the help menu-
Add the version number to the repository field in the format linuxserver/plex:<version number>

This is what I needed!  Thank you for the information, my Plex viewing is saved..

29 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

So, Plex is removing the ability to customize the home menu?

Yes, server side settings now vice Client side.  Which could be good, but they made some changes that don’t work for my viewing pleasure.  Mainly the combining of “Continue Watching” and “On Deck” into one row hub. It doesn’t work for me as I usually have 30+ items that I’m viewing and scrolling for 2 minutes through this looking for what I want doesn’t work for me. 

There are other changes as well, like if you have TV/DVR setup and have it pinned on the left, you can not get rid of the “what’s on” and “Recent channels” hubs. 

again, all of this may be ok for a lot of users, it just isnt for my needs. 

-Keelhaulers

Edited by Keelhaulers
4 hours ago, Keelhaulers said:

This is what I needed!  Thank you for the information, my Plex viewing is saved..

Also set the version variable to docker, or else Plex will be updated on the next restart of the container.