[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

1 hour ago, alturismo said:

True HD decoding stream ... plex should use dirext stream (instead direct play) instead, which needs some transcoding room for audio ... are you using RAM transcoding ? if so, may increase the size therefore ... when i tested playback of true hd audio streams with the plex app i had to increase to like 3+ GB ramdisk ...

even the error you paste looks personally almost like a video decode error, but as you say with DD it plays fine it can only be the audio track ...

i would consult plex forums with your logs, pretty sure you will have more luck there.

and may a question, why you use crappy tv apps then ? afaik your TV cant handle truehd properly anyway and ARC would result in a encoded audio stream anyway, so a DD audio is prolly better anyway, just as sidenote.

I think you're on the right track though because I tested 3 films just now and noted their TrueHD bandwidth requirements:

• IT Chapter 2 (2160p, UHD REMUX DV HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 3.4Mbps
  • Spider-Man No Way Home (2160p, UHD REMUX DV HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 4.1Mbps
  • Moana (2160p, UHD REMUX HDR HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 7.7Mbps

Results are as you suggested:

• IT2 plays fine, struggles when navigating
  • Spider-Man struggles, eventually plays, but buffers and you cannot navigate
  • Moana won't start.

If the docker container is limiting the transcode ability for direct play, (which doesn't make sense to me by the way, direct PLAY, not stream, mean no transcode?),  then surely Plex forums won't have a solution...

Since it's direct play, I'll look on Plex forums and see if it's an android Plex client issue

Edited by Wispa
1 hour ago, Wispa said:

I think you're on the right track though because I tested 3 films just now and noted their TrueHD bandwidth requirements:

• IT Chapter 2 (2160p, UHD REMUX DV HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 3.4Mbps
  • Spider-Man No Way Home (2160p, UHD REMUX DV HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 4.1Mbps
  • Moana (2160p, UHD REMUX HDR HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 7.7Mbps

Results are as you suggested:

• IT2 plays fine, struggles when navigating
  • Spider-Man struggles, eventually plays, but buffers and you cannot navigate
  • Moana won't start.

If the docker container is limiting the transcode ability for direct play, (which doesn't make sense to me by the way, direct PLAY, not stream, mean no transcode?),  then surely Plex forums won't have a solution...

Since it's direct play, I'll look on Plex forums and see if it's an android Plex client issue

I just came across advice on the Plex forums which suggests installing the latest Plex beta (arm64v8a). And I can gladly say the issue has been resolved for me :)

Here's a link https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announcements-android-tv-beta/154124/517

Edited by unraid20
5 minutes ago, unraid20 said:

I just came across advice on the Plex forums which suggests installing the latest Plex beta (arm64v8a). And I can gladly say the issue has been resolved for me :)

Here's a link https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announcements-android-tv-beta/154124/517

I just found this also, here is the URL to join the BETA programme as the beta version fixes this issue.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.plexapp.android

Edited by Wispa
  • Like 1

I am running this docker container and it has been working well for many years.

I just realized one thing that I never tried before. It seems that I cannot access my library over app.plex.tv.

I am getting the message: app.plex.tv is unable to connect to "xxx" securely when trying to access the library.

I am only using in home network. I don't plan to access remotely and have disabled this feature.

IOS and ATV devices work. Also, accessing the web app locally (my-IP:32400) work>

I am getting the error message only when trying to access via app.plex.tv.

Thanks for your help!

8 hours ago, steve1977 said:

I am only using in home network. I don't plan to access remotely and have disabled this feature.

The website is connected remotely so you would have to enable remote connections for it to connect and forward ports in your firewall/router.

1 hour ago, steve1977 said:

Thanks. I tried this. I am then getting an error message that I am not connected directly to the server and it is very slow.

Searching google shows other posts about this. Most suggest not using VPN’s or proxies. Be sure no ports are being blocked. If none of these apply you might try posting in the Plex forums.

Hi.

I'm installing Plex Media Server as a Docker Container (I have tried several), but PMS does not publish ports unless network type is HOST?

I have tried custom networks and the default BRIDGE network, but the same result.

Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks.

I do not know if this questions has been answered, at least I couldn't find any.

On Plex (linuxserver.io) can I upgrade the libraries within plex as seen in the picture or will this mess everything up? (see attached screenshot)

image.png.3653cf9bcb759a4ad0a15337672b8d32.png

Bump! Any ideas?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I believe it is not recommended to update from within a docker.  Limixserver.io updates their dockers pretty regularly, so I would think their latest docker would likely include the latest release of Plex.

As for Plex itself, I'm not a big fan of quickly updating to their latest and greatest release.  They have a bad habit of fixing/adding one thing, and breaking another feature.  Just need spend some time in their forums (or Reddit /PLEX) to read the stories.  I run a pretty old revision myself, as they broke my OTA TV streaming back during football season.

6 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

I believe it is not recommended to update from within a docker.  Limixserver.io updates their dockers pretty regularly, so I would think their latest docker would likely include the latest release of Plex.

As for Plex itself, I'm not a big fan of quickly updating to their latest and greatest release.  They have a bad habit of fixing/adding one thing, and breaking another feature.  Just need spend some time in their forums (or Reddit /PLEX) to read the stories.  I run a pretty old revision myself, as they broke my OTA TV streaming back during football season.

It’s not an update of the app. It’s an update of the metadata for the videos. IIRC it’s basically rescanning all the videos with a new agent. May have updated the db as well.

Oh.  My bad.  I haven't been nagged to update the libraries for the new Plex agent since I downgraded for the OTA TV issue.  But then, I haven't read a single good thing about Plex's new metadata agent, only people who had lost many custom updates, poor metadata matching to video files, and other complaints.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Plex server.  Just sometimes I smh at Plex itself.  😒

• 2 weeks later...

I migrated my windows 10 based Plex server over to Unraid about a month ago. The windows rig was using a 12 year old i5 3rd gen Ivy Bridge CPU with Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics, with 16 gigs of ram. My new Unraid server is using a intel 12th gen (yes, I didn't know at the time that the integrated graphics weren't supported yet), i7 with 64 gb of ram. It took me a little bit to get everything configured and working well....but everything seems great. The only problem is I've had a couple of my users indicate that they either can't play a movie or it buffers really bad. I NEVER had that issue previously. I know I can't use QS yet, but I can't imagine why it would be buffering (oh, and I'm on a 1 Gig up/down fiber connection). Any suggestions of what I can try to attempt to troubleshoot and rectify?

**edit**

I may have found something related. I went into the plex console and am seeing the attached error.

I also found this post where it states that it could be related to my transcode folder (which I didn't specify in the plex container settings as I thought I read it was no longer needed). It also mentions deleting the codecs folder in the Plex appdata folder. Does any of that make sense? Here is the discussion I found:

plex error.JPG

Posted (edited)

Hey y'all,

Yesterday I updated my Plex container (the last update I made was 2-3 months before), and now I can't use hw decoding with HDR tone mapping enabled.

Are there any changes on Plex side, that could break that feature? It was working fine before.

I'm running an Intel j5040 board and (now unfortunately) the latest version of Plex. Hw decoding is working fine when I disable HDR tone mapping, but that's not really a solution.

Did anyone of you experience something similar? Andy Ideas how to fix it? Or should I just downgrade and not Update for a while?

EDIT: Downgrading Plex to 1.25.9 did resolve the issue for me. I guess I won't update Plex for a while. I hope this helps anyone else searching for answers.

Thanks for your help

Edited by ONE-JURU
Edit because of downgrade fix
  • Upvote 1

Need some help.

Recently i notice that my CPU had been spiking from time to time and i notice that my Server are drawing over 50W of power during idle.

Ive check what application is using my processor on Glances and notice that Plex Transcoder are there but i notice that plex are not streaming anything i've even open plex server and notice there is no task running on plex dashboard.

What's might be wrong with Plex here anyone could help please.

image.thumb.png.d4c72ee716c1acc4f45907986fb501eb.pngimage.thumb.png.3bcb42239b7169984aa6d80ef4489228.png

On 5/13/2022 at 1:48 AM, ONE-JURU said:

Hey y'all,

Yesterday I updated my Plex container (the last update I made was 2-3 months before), and now I can't use hw decoding with HDR tone mapping enabled.

Are there any changes on Plex side, that could break that feature? It was working fine before.

I'm running an Intel j5040 board and (now unfortunately) the latest version of Plex. Hw decoding is working fine when I disable HDR tone mapping, but that's not really a solution.

Did anyone of you experience something similar? Andy Ideas how to fix it? Or should I just downgrade and not Update for a while?

EDIT: Downgrading Plex to 1.25.9 did resolve the issue for me. I guess I won't update Plex for a while. I hope this helps anyone else searching for answers.

Thanks for your help

I'm having the same problem as well. Would you be able to tell me how you downgraded the plex version?

Same problem as you guys HW transcoding with HDR tone mapping seems to be broken in latest version of linuxserver image.  Downgrade to Plex to 1.25.9 did not help but downgrade container image did.  If you want to test change repository to linuxserver/plex:1.25.9.5721-965587f64-ls109

Confirming that plex:1.25.9.5721-965587f64-ls109 helped in my situation as well.  Was having a large amount of stuttering with HW transcoding with Nvidia drivers until downgrading to this version (this is what caused me to switch from Binhex's version as well).  Though I'll admit I didn't test all the versions in between.

Guys,

I have a GTX750ti that is about to be replaced.  Thrown into an i7-2600 unraid/plex server, would it help with plex transcoding, particularly taking 1080 streams and transcoding to 720 for remote users at 2-4mbps?

Thanks.