[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

First off, a huge thank you to the LSIO team for all their work on this docker and all the other dockers that they do.

Secondly, with Plex Live TV announcement, Plex (for me) might finally free me from Kodi/TvHeadEnd for Live TV. The holy grail for me would be to be able to use Plex for my media, Live TV, and DVR with Comskip. Having searched the forums, it looks like Comskip support for this Plex docker has stymied folks in the past. I ran across this how-to by a dev / network engineer that makes it seem pretty simple to get Comskip up and running inside a Plex docker.

Has anyone got this running? If so, do you have to re-enable the Comskip, Plexcomkip and Dependencies every time you update the docker (maybe this is a stupid question, but I don't know much about Docker other than how to get one running and set variables/paths)? Is this a solution that could be integrated into the LSIO docker eventually?

I would try playing around with this myself, but I recently fried my HDHR Connect. Note to self, don't plug the wrong AC Adapter into the HDHR. I plugged in an adapter outputting way too many volts and suddenly it smelled like burning...

First off, a huge thank you to the LSIO team for all their work on this docker and all the other dockers that they do.

Secondly, with Plex Live TV announcement, Plex (for me) might finally free me from Kodi/TvHeadEnd for Live TV. The holy grail for me would be to be able to use Plex for my media, Live TV, and DVR with Comskip. Having searched the forums, it looks like Comskip support for this Plex docker has stymied folks in the past. I ran across this how-to by a dev / network engineer that makes it seem pretty simple to get Comskip up and running inside a Plex docker.

Has anyone got this running? If so, do you have to re-enable the Comskip, Plexcomkip and Dependencies every time you update the docker (maybe this is a stupid question, but I don't know much about Docker other than how to get one running and set variables/paths)? Is this a solution that could be integrated into the LSIO docker eventually?

I would try playing around with this myself, but I recently fried my HDHR Connect. Note to self, don't plug the wrong AC Adapter into the HDHR. I plugged in an adapter outputting way too many volts and suddenly it smelled like burning...

In the guide you linked to, the part where it tells you to do things inside the container, those things won't survive an update or recreation of the container. However they will survive restarts of the container.
Question for US guys. If I set up kodi and or plex on a win7 VM with video and USB passthrough, will DRM channels show up? Or drm works only on windows media center?

i could then setup tha vm to auto-start kodi or plex.

You would need a tuner and a TV provider that supports cablecard

Disclaimer: I'm in Canada, not us.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, hernandito said:

Question for US guys. If I set up kodi and or plex on a win7 VM with video and USB passthrough, will DRM channels show up? Or drm works only on windows media center?

i could then setup tha vm to auto-start kodi or plex.

Only Windows Media Center supports recording DRM channels in the US. No other solutions exist for recording US-based PC DVR software with DRM/Premium channels.

I can't keep track if SiliconDust's multi-year overdue, behind schedule, and unstable software allows for watching of DRM channels

On 6/2/2017 at 9:41 PM, trurl said:

Not really clear what you are doing. Is this using docker exec to get to bash inside the container? The Plex Plugins folder is in your Plex appdata, which is mapped to your unRAID storage (if you are doing it right), so you can just put plugins in there.

Yes, the symbolic link was in a bash inside the container.  I found the plugin directory in my config dir now, thanks for making me think about that.

On 6/3/2017 at 6:12 AM, bnevets27 said:

Yeah I'm a little confused too. Linuxserver releases updates on Fridays so you would expect that the current release isn't the latest.

But I'm on Version 1.7.2.3878 and Plex changelog shows 1.7.2 as the latest and checking for updates inside of plex doesn't show any updates as being available.

I have my tuner passed through with this in the container

Extra Parameters: --device=/dev/dvb

Plex doesn't find it but its also not supported so was just going to try...

I'm interested in doing this too, it'd save me from having to run tvheadend in a docker and tvhproxy in a VM. Let us know if you make any progress!

3 hours ago, Zan said:

I'm interested in doing this too, it'd save me from having to run tvheadend in a docker and tvhproxy in a VM. Let us know if you make any progress!

What is the problem lads? 

You only need to restart the container to get the latest version. No need to wait for our weekly refresh. You are on the latest version.

The refresh starts at 11 pm UK time. So it might be Saturday until the new images are available.

Edited by saarg
41 minutes ago, saarg said:

What is the problem lads? 

You only need to restart the container to get the latest version. No need to wait for our weekly refresh. You are on the latest version.

The refresh starts at 11 pm UK time. So it might be Saturday until the new images are available.

I'm not sure, saarg. I've bash'd into the docker and can see that the DVB adaptors are passed through and registered, but plex doesn't see them when I try to add a DVR.

On the plex site it says NAS-based plex only supports networked tuners so I assumed the docker would be the same https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/225877427-Supported-DVR-Devices-and-Antennas

They've also removed the WinTV-quadHD specifically, so possibly an issue just with that card. Anyway hoping you or others could confirm whether other cards can be detected by the plex docker, or give me some pointers on what to do next.

I also tried a Ubuntu vm today with the card passed through and media tree installed as per hauppages instructions but that also didn't get the card detected in plex.

2 hours ago, Zan said:

I'm not sure, saarg. I've bash'd into the docker and can see that the DVB adaptors are passed through and registered, but plex doesn't see them when I try to add a DVR.

On the plex site it says NAS-based plex only supports networked tuners so I assumed the docker would be the same https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/225877427-Supported-DVR-Devices-and-Antennas

They've also removed the WinTV-quadHD specifically, so possibly an issue just with that card. Anyway hoping you or others could confirm whether other cards can be detected by the plex docker, or give me some pointers on what to do next.

I also tried a Ubuntu vm today with the card passed through and media tree installed as per hauppages instructions but that also didn't get the card detected in plex.

In your first post you said it wasn't supported, so I didn't understand what the issue were since you knew it wasn't going to work.

So it's quite clear that you need a supported tuner to get it working.

The comment about NAS-based plex only supporting network based tuners doesn't really apply to unRAID as we have the DVB build.

To clarify Zan quoted me. I said my tuner was not supported and was not surprised it didn't work. My post was mainly to confirm if using --device=/dev/dvb to pass through the tuner was the correct thing to do.

Assuming Zan also used that, it looks like he has confirmed he has passed through the tuner but plex doesn't see it. He hasn't mentioned what tuner he has.

7 hours ago, saarg said:

In your first post you said it wasn't supported, so I didn't understand what the issue were since you knew it wasn't going to work.

So it's quite clear that you need a supported tuner to get it working.

The comment about NAS-based plex only supporting network based tuners doesn't really apply to unRAID as we have the DVB build.

Thanks saarg, I think they pulled the WinTV-quadHD from the supported list because the ATSC version isn't working however I read somewhere that the DVB version that I have, might still be ok.

I'm still really keen to drop my tvheadend docker and associated tvhproxy VM I'm currently running for plex DVR.

Just to test that the docker can get signal from the card, I was thinking of building w_scan from source inside the docker. Or would there be another easier way to test this?

8 hours ago, Zan said:

Thanks saarg, I think they pulled the WinTV-quadHD from the supported list because the ATSC version isn't working however I read somewhere that the DVB version that I have, might still be ok.

I'm still really keen to drop my tvheadend docker and associated tvhproxy VM I'm currently running for plex DVR.

Just to test that the docker can get signal from the card, I was thinking of building w_scan from source inside the docker. Or would there be another easier way to test this?

There is no reason to test that the docker gets a signal. We already know that passing through a DVB card works in a docker container.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, CHBMB said:

@saarg Only if you chmod the card....

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Since they need to get the drivers installed first, the DVB Plugin takes care of that, doesn't it?

Of course if someone is passionate enough to compile their own kernel it's needed :) 

I've had to reinstall my system a couple of times and just noticed that I have 3 plexmediaserver directories.  Evidently I'm not consistent in my naming scheme!

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20170609-ntiq-75kb

The latest iteration of my installation uses plexmediaserver in all lower case.  http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20170609-sk7t-145kb

Am I correct that the other two directories could be deleted?  Or does plex create more than one?

Has anyone gotten the DVR part to work using a HDHR Connect? I can watch Live TV with the latest version but when I try to DVR something it plays fine for 15 seconds to a minute and then it's just all messed up. I figure since I can watch Live TV fine but can't DVR the same channel without it messing up that it's an issue somewhere with Plex or maybe how unraid is setup... I don't know. But I'd love to get DVR working!

Has anyone gotten the DVR part to work using a HDHR Connect? I can watch Live TV with the latest version but when I try to DVR something it plays fine for 15 seconds to a minute and then it's just all messed up. I figure since I can watch Live TV fine but can't DVR the same channel without it messing up that it's an issue somewhere with Plex or maybe how unraid is setup... I don't know. But I'd love to get DVR working!

My hdhr connect is getting delivered today. I'll let you know within the next few days
5 hours ago, pinion said:

I've not had any issues with it.

23 minutes ago, PCRx said:

I've not had any issues with it.

I found a few threads over in the Plex forums and it was suggested to go back to a 1.6 version. That still didn't work.

I tried a new docker container. The second most popular one in apps from plexinc PlexMediaServer. It worked just fine for recordings. The only difference I saw was they had set a temporary transcode directory. I then tried to do the same back in this container but I'm still getting the same issue. Also set the version back to 'latest' and it's still a no go. I'm going to try to setup a new linuxserver Plex container and see if it works from a fresh one. I'll report back.

38 minutes ago, pinion said:

I found a few threads over in the Plex forums and it was suggested to go back to a 1.6 version. That still didn't work.

I tried a new docker container. The second most popular one in apps from plexinc PlexMediaServer. It worked just fine for recordings. The only difference I saw was they had set a temporary transcode directory. I then tried to do the same back in this container but I'm still getting the same issue. Also set the version back to 'latest' and it's still a no go. I'm going to try to setup a new linuxserver Plex container and see if it works from a fresh one. I'll report back.

Ok, a brand new container seems to have done the trick. So what is my best bet here? Should I wipe everything out and start fresh remapping all of my libraries?