Jump to content
linuxserver.io

[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

4626 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

@francrouge Change your appdata path to be /mnt/cache and it should work. /mnt/user doesn't work well with Plex.

Edited by saarg

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, saarg said:

@francrouge Change your appdata path to be /mnt/cache and it should work. /mnt/user doesn't work well with Plex.

 

There are a number of containers that don't work well with /mnt/user, and as that is the default chosen by LT the pain of this isn't going to go away for dev's any time soon, anybody with me for trying to get this changed?, i know historically LT have not been able to reproduce the problem with using /mnt/user, but i think there has to be enough evidence to show them that yes using docker and /mnt/user is troublesome for more than 1 or 2 containers, i can name the following for the ones i know about:-

 

Sonarr

Radarr

Koel

 

im sure linuxserver could add more to this list.

 

p.s. sorry for the hijack @saarg

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, binhex said:

i know historically LT have not been able to reproduce the problem with using /mnt/user

6.2.something LT introduced symlink / hardlink support, and then refined it a release later as they missed "special" files

 

The problem is that no one is able to actually reproduce the issue (or more to the point, reproduce it and state with certainty what is actually failing).  All of my containers run using /mnt/user trouble-free (incl, Plex, Radarr, Sonarr)  I have a feeling that the problem is somewhere filesystem related (or the appdata share traversing multiple disks)

 

But, I do agree that many users (not all) have issues with /mnt/user for the config folders, and that regardless you're always going to have the least amount of trouble specifying a disk share instead of a user share for docker appdata.  The entry in the Docker FAQ does reflect this.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Squid said:

6.2.something LT introduced symlink / hardlink support, and then refined it a release later as they missed "special" files

 

The problem is that no one is able to actually reproduce the issue (or more to the point, reproduce it and state with certainty what is actually failing).  All of my containers run using /mnt/user trouble-free (incl, Plex, Radarr, Sonarr)  I have a feeling that the problem is somewhere filesystem related (or the appdata share traversing multiple disks)

 

But, I do agree that many users (not all) have issues with /mnt/user for the config folders, and that regardless you're always going to have the least amount of trouble specifying a disk share instead of a user share for docker appdata.  The entry in the Docker FAQ does reflect this.

 

 

 

yeah i completely understand LT cant reproduce and thus don't want to switch over to disk shares, lets face it user shares are more convenient right, BUT it def is a problem for some users (myself included) for certain containers, i dunno, i just feel that its another thing we have to ask a newbie about, in order to rule this out being the "problem", it gets a bit old after a while :(

 

edit - just for the record my filesystem is btrfs cache drive, single appdata share, not across multiple disks (no cache pool either).

Edited by binhex

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, binhex said:

it gets a bit old after a while

Completely agree.  Which is why every time I see a post from a developer talking about switching from user to disk share I usually respond with Why - What's the actual problem? so that this can get fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, binhex said:

BUT it def is a problem for some users (myself included) for certain containers,

I've seen a lot of references to this issue but no description of the symptoms. I use /mnt/user/ for my Deluge media share and haven't seen any problems, but maybe that's just because I don't know what to look for?

Edited by wgstarks

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Squid said:

Which is why every time I see a post from a developer talking about switching from user to disk share I usually respond with Why - What's the actual problem? so that this can get fixed.

 

ok last post, as i really am hijacking this thread now, @CHBMB will give me hell! :-).

 

ok so the effect can be varied depending on the container, but for instance, i had a user attempting to start sonarr, it was a clean install no previous config and every time they started the container it corrupted the database (run twice with a cleandown between tries):-

 

my suggestion of switching to /mnt/diskX stopped this corruption from happening and the container started first time:-

 

im sure there are other accounts of such strangeness from other dev's when using /mnt/user/

 

Edited by binhex

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, binhex said:

@CHBMB will give me hell! :-).

 

Truthfully:  Do you care?  :D

 

9 minutes ago, binhex said:

other accounts of such strangeness

But thus far, nobody has been able to pinpoint the actual cause.  What filesystem function is failing?  And until that happens so long as most users have zero problems with /mnt/user and some have "strangeness" it can't get fixed as no one knows why...

 

Binhex-sonarr:  Just installed it using /mnt/user  No problems.  No issues in the docker log or in the app's log...

 

I'm sick of it too and want it fixed, but there's something else at play that we've never been able to nail down.  If I was ever able to personally replicate the problem, I would figure out what's going on and why, and submit the defect report.

 

22 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I use /mnt/user/ for my Deluge media share

 

Media shares, etc won't have the problem manifest itself on.  The issue is with /config folders (ie: the appdata)

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Squid said:

Truthfully:  Do you care?  :D

 

ha, oo good point! ;-)

 

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Media shares, etc won't have the problem manifest itself on.  The issue is with /config folders (ie: the appdata)

 

100% this, i have no issues with media using /mnt/user (thank god!), ok im going to stop whinging for now and when i get some time i will see if i can replicate it again and see if there is anything of any note in syslog.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Squid said:

I'm sick of it too and want it fixed, but there's something else at play that we've never been able to nail down.  If I was ever able to personally replicate the problem, I would figure out what's going on and why, and submit the defect report.

There was some mention of the Global Share Settings Tunable Direct io being at fault, and that makes sense since it is a FUSE option. The help note says it's experimental, but who reads help nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post

Is there anyway I can edit a file inside the the docker or perhaps replace a file after a docker restart if Plex gets changed.

 

I want to edit the Android.xml file to fix the 5.1 mess on Fire TV.

 

Kevin.

Edited by digitalfixer
Apparently it's now fixed.

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry to be a noob, but just setup my unRAID box and this Plex docker yesterday.

I noticed today Plex is saying there is an update available.

 

IS this something I need to manually upgrade, or just wait for the docker owner to release the update to docker and I just update the container itself?

Sorry

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, SavellM said:

Sorry to be a noob, but just setup my unRAID box and this Plex docker yesterday.

I noticed today Plex is saying there is an update available.

 

IS this something I need to manually upgrade, or just wait for the docker owner to release the update to docker and I just update the container itself?

Sorry

Restarting the docker will get the latest version unless you have specified another version.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Restarting the docker will get the latest version unless you have specified another version.

Just a simple stop/start?

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, SavellM said:

Just a simple stop/start?

The docker pulls whatever version you have specified for the version parameter on every start. The default is "latest".

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

The docker pulls whatever version you have specified for the version parameter on every start. The default is "latest".

Awesome thanks guys.

Share this post


Link to post

These just started popping up in my syslog the other day.  Anyone else?

 

Version 1.8.1.4139

 

Quote

Aug 17 19:13:27 UNRAID kernel: traps: Plex Transcoder[27813] general protection ip:2b7312a48fbd sp:7ffc69fcd538 error:0 in liblibmp3lame_encoder.so[2b7312a41000+6a000]
Aug 17 19:16:58 UNRAID kernel: traps: Plex Transcoder[28879] general protection ip:2ad44debbfbd sp:7ffca1fed178 error:0 in liblibmp3lame_encoder.so[2ad44deb4000+6a000]
Aug 17 19:20:28 UNRAID kernel: traps: Plex Transcoder[29979] general protection ip:2b7246a94fbd sp:7fff83a1c768 error:0 in liblibmp3lame_encoder.so[2b7246a8d000+6a000]
Aug 17 19:23:58 UNRAID kernel: traps: Plex Transcoder[31044] general protection ip:2abe17a0afbd sp:7fff98195428 error:0 in liblibmp3lame_encoder.so[2abe17a03000+6a000]
Aug 17 19:27:28 UNRAID kernel: traps: Plex Transcoder[32137] general protection ip:2b6776df5fbd sp:7ffc424f9988 error:0 in liblibmp3lame_encoder.so[2b6776dee000+6a000]
Aug 17 19:30:58 UNRAID kernel: traps: Plex Transcoder[734] general protection ip:2b8881056fbd sp:7ffddc89cd58 error:0 in liblibmp3lame_encoder.so[2b888104f000+6a000]
Aug 17 19:34:30 UNRAID kernel: traps: Plex Transcoder[1947] general protection ip:2aed532a9fbd sp:7fffe48e15e8 error:0 in liblibmp3lame_encoder.so[2aed532a2000+6a000]

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi,
I'm having a bit of trouble with the Plex DVR and maybe you can help me.

I'm running a tvheadend Server and a tvhProxy, both work fine.
When I use the URLs from the server or the proxy in VLC it works fine.

So I tried to add it to the Plex DVR, the channels show up in the Program Guide and the EPG works.
But when I want to record an episode it gives me an "unknown error".
When I monitor the streams in tvheadend the stream pops up for 1-2 seconds an then it disapears again.
I couldn't find anything in the Logs (Plex and Docker), maybe I'm looking in the wrong logs?

Anybody an idea what could be wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/18/2017 at 3:18 PM, Shiftyy said:

[...]

I'm having a bit of trouble with the Plex DVR and maybe you can help me.

[...]

What device are you using to receive? I am not sure, but there could be driver issues through USB.
If you have a network connect one, like HDHomeRun, then I don't know what it could be from this description though. (Maybe install the HDHomeRun channel on Plex?)

 

 

---

 

I have a question, is there a way to run Plex through a VPN? I recently got PIA, which seems to be what most dockers around here prefer.

 

Or should I, (if possible?), look for a way to just connect all outgoing stuff from my Unraid server through a VPN? That'd be perfect I guess at this point...

Share this post


Link to post

Having a problem with the "webui link" from dashboard or docker page.  I have my network set to none, and my docker is assigned an IP ending in 48 (unraid is 198).  I had this working with a config setting until the last update or 2, but now I don't see anywhere to set this.  

Share this post


Link to post
What device are you using to receive? I am not sure, but there could be driver issues through USB.
If you have a network connect one, like HDHomeRun, then I don't know what it could be from this description though. (Maybe install the HDHomeRun channel on Plex?)
 
 
---
 
I have a question, is there a way to run Plex through a VPN? I recently got PIA, which seems to be what most dockers around here prefer.
 
Or should I, (if possible?), look for a way to just connect all outgoing stuff from my Unraid server through a VPN? That'd be perfect I guess at this point...
You can't really run Plex over VPN as port forwarding is an issue.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Having a problem with the "webui link" from dashboard or docker page.  I have my network set to none, and my docker is assigned an IP ending in 48 (unraid is 198).  I had this working with a config setting until the last update or 2, but now I don't see anywhere to set this.  
Is this referring to macvlan networking? Hopefully someone else will chip in, but not something we can really support.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, CHBMB said:

Is this referring to macvlan networking? Hopefully someone else will chip in, but not something we can really support.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
 

It is macvlan.  Basically the change is allowing a different URL when webui link is clicked, which I thought was configured in the setup options of the plex docker, but maybe it was somewhere else, just odd that it was working, and now stopped, and not that big of a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, bondoo0 said:

It is macvlan.  Basically the change is allowing a different URL when webui link is clicked, which I thought was configured in the setup options of the plex docker, but maybe it was somewhere else, just odd that it was working, and now stopped, and not that big of a deal.

 

Im not familiar with macvlan but I've managed to give dockers unique IP addresses by using pipework 1.1.6 - I followed some posts on this forum (apologies I don't have a link to hand but should come up with a search)

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.