[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

3 minutes ago, Endda said:

I see Plex has enabled hardware acceleration in their latest build

- https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115002178853-Using-Hardware-Accelerated-Streaming

I just tested this out with the latest version but can't seem to get it use the hardware. The article says some NAS devices could have issue with the feature, is that what is happening here?

yes, it works, you just need a few extra commands on unraid, and in the docker, check back 2-3 pages. I'll write up a noob 3 line guide in a few days.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, LSL1337 said:

yes, it works, you just need a few extra commands on unraid, and in the docker, check back 2-3 pages. I'll write up a noob 3 line guide in a few days.

Ah, thanks!

Here's the link for anyone who is looking for it

I did have to enable privileged mode for it to work for me

2 hours ago, LSL1337 said:

Don't give up just yet, it works much better on windows.

We just need updated(meaning better) linux drivers for windows, but it could take months, or even years....

so eventually...

I've also heard something about needing better drivers that may help but does this only have an effect on intel gpus for transcoding? I have an Xenon 1225 v3 and am currently using that to hardware transcode but was curious if anyone knew if buying say a 1050ti to transcode being newer if that would produce better quality transcodes or if it would be the same due to that driver issue.

4 hours ago, akira1984 said:

I've also heard something about needing better drivers that may help but does this only have an effect on intel gpus for transcoding? I have an Xenon 1225 v3 and am currently using that to hardware transcode but was curious if anyone knew if buying say a 1050ti to transcode being newer if that would produce better quality transcodes or if it would be the same due to that driver issue.

I'm no expert, but as far as i know you wouldn't be better off eventually, well, even worse.

on geforce (consumer) cards there is a transcode limit of 2, so you can't transcode more than that at the same time.

on these intul GPUs you can do 5-6-7 1080p transcodes with minimal cpu usage, BUT at the moment, on linux they look like sh1t. intel is working on the new drivers (i think), and hopefully they will improove the quality, to be on par with windows, which is decent. there is no eta, it could be weeks, months, or years.

2 things i'm semi sure about:

- intel QS is ok on windows (anyone can try it I guess, and decide for themselfs) and there is no stream limit (nvidia will only do 2 for sure, even on a 600 dollar 1080ti)

- intel is working on a fix, there is a github for it with plenty of recent commits. (but will it fix this issue? idk)

so there is hope. I think this feature was in beta since christmas.

You used plex for months/years without it.

Basically it works right now, it's just suboptimal.

Hopefully a little more wait will improve it even further.

On the bright side, you don't have to do anything, one update will just fix it (hopefully). keep checking the changelogs

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, tturkey said:

Is there a way to upgrade to pre-release of va-api? Would it be worth it? I'm thirsty for hw transcode :P
Also, first post, so thank you to everyone who posts here it has helped me a lot.

since everything is possible, I'm sure you can somehow put it into the plex docker, but it's not straigforward, like 2 commands in ssh.

check the plex forums, I think some guys tried it, but if you are a linux beginner, It's probably over our heads

On 10/2/2017 at 2:15 PM, Chandler said:

You can just move your whole appdata folder over to the cache drive to speed up all your dockers. If you do move the whole appdata folder over make sure you reflect those changes in the share so tell it to use cache only. And it also wouldn't be a bad idea to set up the community applications backup plugin to backup your appdata folder to the array every so often. 

You can add a folder that is stored on another PC. You'll have to SMB/NFS share the folder to your server and then map the folder into the plex docker just like how you did earlier to see your media within plex. 

Just a further question on using a drive that is located on another pc.  I shared the drive on my HTPC, then on unraid created an smb share to /mnt/disks/DANIEL-HTPC_HTPC_Media

It's sitting umounted.  If I mount the drive, does it actually do anything to the shared drive so it's inaccessible from the PC it's actually sitting in?  Also what happens when I power off the PC.  Does the mounted drive stay mounted or will it cause problems when I power of and on the pc?

1 hour ago, DigitalDivide said:

Just a further question on using a drive that is located on another pc.  I shared the drive on my HTPC, then on unraid created an smb share to /mnt/disks/DANIEL-HTPC_HTPC_Media

It's sitting umounted.  If I mount the drive, does it actually do anything to the shared drive so it's inaccessible from the PC it's actually sitting in?  Also what happens when I power off the PC.  Does the mounted drive stay mounted or will it cause problems when I power of and on the pc?

This would be better suited as it's own thread. But to answer quickly. 

1. mounting the share from the HTPC to unraid will not make the drive inaccessible from the PC. that would defeat the entire purpose of shares.

2. When the htpc is powered off, the share to unraid will be disconnected. The share will only work with the PC on

3. If you do power cycle the htpc, you will have to go back into the unraid gui and remount it unless you make a cron job to test/remount when needed

11 hours ago, LSL1337 said:

since everything is possible, I'm sure you can somehow put it into the plex docker, but it's not straigforward, like 2 commands in ssh.

check the plex forums, I think some guys tried it, but if you are a linux beginner, It's probably over our heads

Fair enough, I guess we're waiting then. Thank you :)

33 minutes ago, Endda said:

In regards to this hardware transcoding, if I toss a video card in my unRAID build, will it use that to help transcode things? (instead of or along with using the iGPU of the Intel chip)

Not unless you add the driver for the video card yourself. That involves installing all dependencies and repackaging bzroot. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Endda said:

In regards to this hardware transcoding, if I toss a video card in my unRAID build, will it use that to help transcode things? (instead of or along with using the iGPU of the Intel chip)

Easier and less painful to simply create a VM specifically for this and use hardware passthrough on the video card.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Squid said:

Easier and less painful to simply create a VM specifically for this and use hardware passthrough on the video card.

I did do just that to test and got our plex container to do hw encode with nvidia

But plex doesn't support hw decode on nvidia just yet

• Like 1
On 9/23/2017 at 2:09 AM, mikefallen said:

Having same issue can't find forum post your talking about do you mind detailing how you fixed it would be greatly appreciated!

Found a fix

Delete codecs folder in appdata:

\appdata\plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Codecs

Restart the docker image and it fixes the issue

Thank you for this! I had the exact same issue and deleting the Codecs folder solved everything.

"Plexpass" release now named "Beta"...

StSimm1 Plex Dev Team LondonPosts: 697Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
October 12 edited October 12

Plex Media Server 1.9.5 is now available to Plex Pass users
( this will not get auto-update notification please update manually )

NEW:
- (Trailers) Allow specifying preroll with a file path.
- (Trailers) Allow specifying alternate prerolls with file paths separated by semicolon.
- (Trailers) Allow specifying sequential prerolls with file paths separated by comma.
- (Update Channels) New release channels names. "PlexPass" channel is now named "Beta".

1 minute ago, Nicon4454 said:

no it is not a plex issue that is an issue with the os

You said you are having this problem using safari or chrome. Since the unRAID OS doesn't have safari or chrome, then I don't see how it can be a problem with unRAID. That is why I suggested you try to find a solution on the plex forums.

On 13/10/2017 at 12:03 PM, nathanj said:

Im having issues with the mouse not hiding with playing videos in fullscreen, have tried on chrome and safari. Its incredibly annoying, would this be docker/plex specific issue or an issue on my end?

I agree with @trurl, this is going to be a Plex issue.

Does anyone have a step by step guide to get Plex HW transcoder working?

I have a bunch of 4k rips and when trying to transcode them to 720p for tablet viewing I get a few warning about Server being unable to transcode quick enough.

I see CPU load in unRAID hovering around 40 to 55% mark. Plex transcode has HW option ticked, and Transcoder quality set to Prefer higher speed encoding, Background transcoding x264 preset set to Very fast.

Is there a way to get HW encoding working on my Xeon E3-1245 v6?

And is there a way that I can get the CPU to reach max to transcode quicker?

Lastly, does using /tmp work anymore for ram transcoding?

Edited by SavellM
On 17/10/2017 at 2:02 PM, SavellM said:

Does anyone have a step by step guide to get Plex HW transcoder working?

I have a bunch of 4k rips and when trying to transcode them to 720p for tablet viewing I get a few warning about Server being unable to transcode quick enough.

I see CPU load in unRAID hovering around 40 to 55% mark. Plex transcode has HW option ticked, and Transcoder quality set to Prefer higher speed encoding, Background transcoding x264 preset set to Very fast.

Is there a way to get HW encoding working on my Xeon E3-1245 v6?

And is there a way that I can get the CPU to reach max to transcode quicker?

Lastly, does using /tmp work anymore for ram transcoding?

Bump anyone?