Running rebuild tree on emulated disk

ixnu

Running 6.0.1 ReiserFS

I lost a disk (md7) and tried to rebuild md7.

On the rebuild using two different disks, I got this:

Aug 12 12:06:23 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning: reiserfs-5090 is_tree_node: node level 31374 does not match to the expected one 2
Aug 12 12:06:23 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device md7): vs-5150 search_by_key: invalid format found in block 419397763. Fsck?
Aug 12 12:06:23 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device md7): vs-13070 reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o failure occurred trying to find stat data of [4565 5071 0x0 SD]
Aug 12 12:06:23 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning: reiserfs-5090 is_tree_node: node level 31374 does not match to the expected one 2
Aug 12 12:06:23 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device md7): vs-5150 search_by_key: invalid format found in block 419397763. Fsck?
Aug 12 12:06:23 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device md7): vs-13070 reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o failure occurred trying to find stat data of [4565 7549 0x0 SD]
Aug 12 12:06:23 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device md7): vs-13070 reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o failure occurred trying to find stat data of [4565 5072 0x0 SD]

I am currently running in Maintenance mode and executed the following on the emulated disk:

root@Tower:~# reiserfsck --fix-fixable /dev/md7
reiserfsck 3.6.24

Will check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/md7
and will fix what can be fixed without --rebuild-tree
Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes
###########
reiserfsck --fix-fixable started at Wed Aug 12 12:25:46 2015
###########
Replaying journal: Done.
Reiserfs journal '/dev/md7' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed

My question while waiting on what will almost certainly be a tree rebuild...

What should be the command to rebuild the tree on an emulated disk?

Any gotchas?

Thanks!

My question while waiting on what will almost certainly be a tree rebuild...

What should be the command to rebuild the tree on an emulated disk?

Just use --rebuild-tree in place of the --fix-fixable.

At some point you will need to force unRAID to do a rebuild onto a physical drive to remove the need for the emulation and get back to a protected state.

Thanks  itimpi

Sorry, but I want to make sure I follow you.

At some point you will need to force unRAID to do a rebuild onto a physical drive to remove the need for the emulation and get back to a protected state.

I assume this means a rebuild from parity NOT an additional Reiser --rebuild-tree on the new physical disk that is no longer emulated.

Thanks again!

Thanks  itimpi

Sorry, but I want to make sure I follow you.

I assume this means a rebuild from parity NOT an additional Reiser --rebuild-tree on the new physical disk that is no longer emulated.

One would normally refer to the reiserfsck run as a 'repair' rather than a rebuild.  In unRAID the term rebuild normally refers to the process of transferring the contents of an emulated drive back to a physical drive. 

Note that a rebuild is not just using parity - it uses the combination of all the other data drives plus the parity drive to rebuild the target data drive.  This is why all the other data drives need to be healthy for a rebuild to be successful.

Archived