Anybody gotten Xpenology to run on a VM on UNRAID 6 ??? PLEASE HELP

DGB

I have got another disk added when setting up the VM but is still doesn't work and if i try to change the file its gives an error

You have to change the bus from virtio to sata in the gui or it wont work.

EDIT: If you cant connect to your server:

Step 1. Download the Synology Assistant (https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/download/VirtualDSM)

Step 2. Let the Assistant search for your server (if it cant find your server wait a few seconds and try again)

If the assistant still cant find your server: Edit the xml file and change the network adapter model to "e1000" DlIffzx.png

If the assistant finds your server but the ip starts with "169.x.x.x" restart the server (i had to do it ~5-10 times until the server got a "real" ip adress)

Remember to set a static ip after setting up the server

I have got another disk added when setting up the VM but is still doesn't work and if i try to change the file its gives an error

You have to change the bus from virtio to sata in the gui or it wont work.

EDIT: If you cant connect to your server:

Step 1. Download the Synology Assistant (https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/download/VirtualDSM)

Step 2. Let the Assistant search for your server (if it cant find your server wait a few seconds and try again)

If the assistant still cant find your server: Edit the xml file and change the network adapter model to "e1000" DlIffzx.png

If the assistant finds your server but the ip starts with "169.x.x.x" restart the server (i had to do it ~5-10 times until the server got a "real" ip adress)

Remember to set a static ip after setting up the server

I can do the "e1000" thats fine but

I dont have the same options in advanced ????

Please see attached jpeg

Just RAW or qcow2 for primary vdisk type

Capture.JPG.6d0aa66cf142db3bd9f8aa6f14d3a700.JPG

Thats probably why you cant change the bus type in the gui (My Version: cBpnGE4.png)

Im not 100% sure if this works but try changing the harddrive config to:

<disk type='file' device='disk'>

<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>

<source file='/mnt/user/DSM/DSM/vdisk1.img'/>

<backingStore/>

<target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>

<boot order='2'/>

<alias name='sata0-0-2'/>

<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>

Replace the red text with your settings

Try this config:

<disk type='file' device='cdrom'>

<driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>

<source file='/mnt/user/isos/XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5.iso'/>

<backingStore/>

<target dev='hda' bus='sata'/>

<readonly/>

<boot order='1'/>

<alias name='sata0-0-0'/>

<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>

</disk>

<source file='/mnt/user/DSM/DSM/vdisk1.img'/>

<backingStore/>

<target dev='hdb' bus='sata'/>

<boot order='2'/>

<alias name='sata0-0-2'/>

<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>

<source file='/mnt/user/DSM/DSM/vdisk2.img'/>

<backingStore/>

<target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>

<boot order='3'/>

<alias name='sata0-0-4'/>

<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>

• 5 months later...

Currently I am using an hp n54 running xpenology and a g1820 running unraid. I like some of the applications of xpenology, like the nice remote web ui, mobile apps and the lovely Photo station/DSphoto app that I use to share photos with family living abroad. I am thinking of using this setup (xpenology as vm running on unraid) to consolidate both machines into one. What cpu would I need as I almost sure that the g1820 won't be enough. I have an 1150 motherboard and I was thinking about i3 4170. Do you think that would be powerful enought? Also, how much RAM would I need?

Thank you for the information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Id really appreciate a small guide on how to get Xpenology working on the KVM, my reason to use it is for their CCTV system which runs reasonable well for my requirements. I only have 2 cameras at my house, which is free under synology.

The only other alternative being an app named BlueIris which runs under windows, however that requires a $50 license fee.

I have attempted to get Xpenology to boot using the new DSM6 image created last month, however when it boots its states it cannot find any hard drive in the system.

my reason to use it is for their CCTV system which runs reasonable well for my requirements.

Xpenology is unsupported and you should always expect an error to corrupt data on the harddrive.

The only other alternative being an app named BlueIris which runs under windows, however that requires a $50 license fee.

Please use that alternative, you can use it in a virtual machine if you want but please don't use Xpenology for a CCTV system.

I have attempted to get Xpenology to boot using the new DSM6 image created last month, however when it boots its states it cannot find any hard drive in the system.

I don't know if DSM6 works under unRAID/KVM but you probably have the virtual harddisk set to VirtIO, which doesn't doesn't work in Xpenology. Change the virtual harddisk controller type to SATA and don't forget to set the virtual ethernet adapter to e1000.

Sorry for posting this again but i added the warning for using Xpenology for a CCTV system.

I just have working DSM 6.0.2 on unraid, check xpenology forum.

Mandatory set eth to e1000 and HDD to sata :( I pushing this guys to add the virtio drivers :P

work pretty fine, but my first objective to install xpenology was to use the new feature of DSM6 "hyperbackup"

but DSM doesn't like to create backups from  NFS sources(yes i have my unraid shared folders mounted with NFS)

maybe exist a way to cheat the OS to think it's hard drive directory not a  mounted FS.

Incremental/deduped + encryption + versioned backups on different cloud providers

the major feature is that you can see a timeline in the file explorer with all the version of a single file/folder. so it's very interesting for me this feature.

anyone know an webapp or something to do exactly the same?

Example --> https://global.download.synology.com/download/Package/img/HyperBackup/1.2.1-0235/screenshot_04.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2.11.2016 at 7:25 PM, segator said:

I just have working DSM 6.0.2 on unraid, check xpenology forum.

Mandatory set eth to e1000 and HDD to sata :( I pushing this guys to add the virtio drivers :P

work pretty fine, but my first objective to install xpenology was to use the new feature of DSM6 "hyperbackup"

but DSM doesn't like to create backups from  NFS sources(yes i have my unraid shared folders mounted with NFS)

maybe exist a way to cheat the OS to think it's hard drive directory not a  mounted FS.

Incremental/deduped + encryption + versioned backups on different cloud providers

the major feature is that you can see a timeline in the file explorer with all the version of a single file/folder. so it's very interesting for me this feature.

anyone know an webapp or something to do exactly the same?

Example --> https://global.download.synology.com/download/Package/img/HyperBackup/1.2.1-0235/screenshot_04.png

Hey!

How did you do the install of DSM 6.0.2 ? The loader is a *.img file, but Unraid needs *.iso? (Running Unraid 6.3.5)

I tried to install DSM 5.2 with an *.iso. It does not boot... --> edit

I set HDD to sata and eth to e1000.

Edit: DSM 5.2 ISO boots with SeaBIOS. After uploading the pat-file via browser the machine hangs after reboot "booting from hard disk"  (seen in the vnc-monitor)

DSM 5.2 is working. :) Changing the <boot order='1/> for the bootloader and <boot order='2'/> for the vdisk in the XML did it.

Anyway, is there a chance to get a *.iso for DSM 6.x ?9_9

Edit2:

The trick is to use the *.img bootloader as the frist vdisk (picture here): 

Now DSM 6.0.2 works. It displays an alert in the system health "DSM cannot start up normally. ..." But it works.O.oO.o

Any Ideas on this?

Edited by heyper
  • 2 months later...

guys I find out something you will like

DSM 6.1.3 + ETH Virtio + Hyperbackup working(yes the data is in the unraid host mounting with glusterFS)

in the Proxmox thread on xpenology forum someone compiled a version of jun loader with virtio driver works perfectly.

And Playing with petaSpace I find out that internally use glusterFS and works also with hyperbackup so I tried to create a glusterFS docker over unraid server and mount it in the xpenology VM and hyperbackup works :)

I thinking to create a docker with the DSM Ready to use image for all of you. I think lot of people could be interested.

Edited by segator
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2017 at 7:52 PM, segator said:

Hi guys, I finally create a first version of Xpenology on a Docker

https://github.com/segator/xpenology-docker

Check it all, I have DSM & hyperbackup with unraid server working

Thanks, looking forward to trying this but waiting/hoping it'll get added to the Community Applications first to help with the variables etc...

Edited by fergalc
spacing
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...