[Docker] BorgBackup deduplicated backup solution

Hello,

borg-backup (https://borgbackup.github.io/borgbackup/) is a fork of the excellent Attic (https://attic-backup.org/) that provides deduplicated and optionally encrypted backup. Pretty similar to bup that I have been using extensively. borg bring many new exciting features over Attic including configurable chunk sizes to accommodate lower RAM (important with very large backups) and different password based encryption scheme. The latest git version also brings lz4 compression scheme (in addition to zlib). One the reason for moving away from bup is the impossibility to prune older backup.

I'm planning to use it on unRAID both internally to do periodic backup/snapshot of important data (doesn't take additional space if nothing has changed) and also remotely from clients.

Based upon the work done by Silvio Fricke I published two projets on Dockerhub:

- Latest git version: https://hub.docker.com/r/alphazo/borgbackup-git/

- Latest released version: https://hub.docker.com/r/alphazo/borgbackup/

You can find and install them using the new extended search feature found in the Docker Community Application plugin.

I quickly tested it and was able to perform backups. I haven't gone through the generation of the unRAID template yet.

Hope this will be useful to the unRAID community.

PS: this could also be used in a distributed encrypted incremental and deduplicated backup scheme where you store some of your content to another (untrusted) remote unRAID machine.

Hello,

borg-backup (https://borgbackup.github.io/borgbackup/) is a fork of the excellent Attic (https://attic-backup.org/) that provides deduplicated and optionally encrypted backup. Pretty similar to bup that I have been using extensively. borg bring many new exciting features over Attic including configurable chunk sizes to accommodate lower RAM (important with very large backups) and different password based encryption scheme. The latest git version also brings lz4 compression scheme (in addition to zlib). One the reason for moving away from bup is the impossibility to prune older backup.

I'm planning to use it on unRAID both internally to do periodic backup/snapshot of important data (doesn't take additional space if nothing has changed) and also remotely from clients.

Based upon the work done by Silvio Fricke I published two projets on Dockerhub:

- Latest git version: https://hub.docker.com/r/alphazo/docker-borgbackup-git/

- Latest released version: https://hub.docker.com/r/alphazo/docker-borgbackup/

You can find and install them using the new extended search feature found in the Docker Community Application plugin.

I quickly tested it and was able to perform backups. I haven't gone through the generation of the unRAID template yet.

Hope this will be useful to the unRAID community.

PS: this could also be used in a distributed encrypted incremental and deduplicated backup scheme where you store some of your content to another (untrusted) remote unRAID machine.

Going to move this to the Docker subforum here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As no-one else has replied. I'm trying this now to compare it to hashbackup.

I'm not sure of the benefit of a docker, as the borg executable is self contained, just like hashbackup.

With hashbackup you need to backup drives separately, rather than user shares as otherwise it will think there have been changes even when there haven't been. Does anyone know if this is also the case with borg? Ie: can I backup /mnt/user/media rather than /mnt/disk1/media, /mnt/disk2/edia etc etc?

As no-one else has replied. I'm trying this now to compare it to hashbackup.

I'm not sure of the benefit of a docker, as the borg executable is self contained, just like hashbackup.

With hashbackup you need to backup drives separately, rather than user shares as otherwise it will think there have been changes even when there haven't been. Does anyone know if this is also the case with borg? Ie: can I backup /mnt/user/media rather than /mnt/disk1/media, /mnt/disk2/edia etc etc?

page3 have you managed to get it working?

I am not sure if I am missing something, but how are we meant to use this docker? When I start it, it just stops right away. Looking at it as well, it seems like it doesn't have the webUI that a lot of the other common dockers like Plex etc have which to my understanding means you don't have an interface to interact with it. I see mentions of some examples etc on the dockers page but have no idea where to type that nor can I find the ini file which is meant to store configuration.

Is there an advance guide or documentation to using dockers for cases like these where it has not been properly setup with a template? Most of the guides I have been able to find seem to be for the more typical scenario.

I didn't use the docker, but simply downloaded the binary and put it on my cache drive.

It is running fine, but I'm having a problem with running out of disk space during a large backup. I'm having difficulty trying to determine how to change where Borg writes its cache, or how regain the space now used on root.

I didn't use the docker, but simply downloaded the binary and put it on my cache drive.

It is running fine, but I'm having a problem with running out of disk space during a large backup. I'm having difficulty trying to determine how to change where Borg writes its cache, or how regain the space now used on root.

Seems more likely you would be running out of RAM since that is where everything except /boot and /mnt actually is, including "root". Simplest way to regain that space is just to reboot unRAID.

Seems more likely you would be running out of RAM since that is where everything except /boot and /mnt actually is, including "root". Simplest way to regain that space is just to reboot unRAID.

Thanks. I've found Borg has two environment variables that can override where it places its keys and cache. The cache can be quite large - far bigger than RAM. I've now got it to backup 2Tb successfully and can easily mount the backup as a fuse file system.

Borg is a self contained binary, so all I did to get it going was create a directory (on my cache drive), place the binary there. I then copied their example backup script and modified it for my setup (I want to backup to USB). I've set the two environment variables mentioned above within the script and all works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I've found Borg has two environment variables that can override where it places its keys and cache. The cache can be quite large - far bigger than RAM. I've now got it to backup 2Tb successfully and can easily mount the backup as a fuse file system.

Borg is a self contained binary, so all I did to get it going was create a directory (on my cache drive), place the binary there. I then copied their example backup script and modified it for my setup (I want to backup to USB). I've set the two environment variables mentioned above within the script and all works fine.

any chance of sharing some of your scripts please, i am having trouble trying to wrap my head around this :/

Sire. I'm experimenting with a "daily" backup. So far, I have:

#!/bin/sh
REPOSITORY=/mnt/disks/Backup
export BORG_CACHE_DIR=/mnt/cache/apps/borg/.cache/borg
export BORG_KEYS_DIR=/mnt/cache/apps/borg/.borg/keys

/mnt/cache/apps/borg/borg create --compression zlib,6 --stats --progress                         \
    $REPOSITORY::`hostname`-`date +%Y-%m-%d`    \
    /mnt/user/Lightroom				\
#    /mnt/user/Photos				\
    /mnt/user/iTunes				\
#   /mnt/user/media				\
    /mnt/cache/apps				\
    --exclude '.DS_Store'                       \
    --exclude '._.DS_Store'  	         	\
    --exclude .AppleDouble/			\
    --exclude .Recycle.Bin/

# Use the `prune` subcommand to maintain 7 daily, 4 weekly and 6 monthly
# archives of THIS machine.  --prefix `hostname`- is very important to
# limit prune's operation to this machine's archives and not apply to
# other machine's archives also.
/mnt/cache/apps/borg/borg prune -v $REPOSITORY --prefix `hostname`- \
    --keep-daily=7 --keep-weekly=4 --keep-monthly=6

/mnt/cache/apps/borg is on my SSD and where I put the borg executable.

/mnt/disks/Backup is my external USB mounted via the Unassigned Devices plugin.

BORG_CACHE_DIR and BORG_KEYS_DIR moves borg cache files from /root/tmp (memory) to my cache drive (small SSD).

Sire. I'm experimenting with a "daily" backup. So far, I have:

#!/bin/sh
REPOSITORY=/mnt/disks/Backup
export BORG_CACHE_DIR=/mnt/cache/apps/borg/.cache/borg
export BORG_KEYS_DIR=/mnt/cache/apps/borg/.borg/keys

/mnt/cache/apps/borg/borg create --compression zlib,6 --stats --progress                         \
    $REPOSITORY::`hostname`-`date +%Y-%m-%d`    \
    /mnt/user/Lightroom				\
#    /mnt/user/Photos				\
    /mnt/user/iTunes				\
#   /mnt/user/media				\
    /mnt/cache/apps				\
    --exclude '.DS_Store'                       \
    --exclude '._.DS_Store'  	         	\
    --exclude .AppleDouble/			\
    --exclude .Recycle.Bin/

# Use the `prune` subcommand to maintain 7 daily, 4 weekly and 6 monthly
# archives of THIS machine.  --prefix `hostname`- is very important to
# limit prune's operation to this machine's archives and not apply to
# other machine's archives also.
/mnt/cache/apps/borg/borg prune -v $REPOSITORY --prefix `hostname`- \
    --keep-daily=7 --keep-weekly=4 --keep-monthly=6

/mnt/cache/apps/borg is on my SSD and where I put the borg executable.

/mnt/disks/Backup is my external USB mounted via the Unassigned Devices plugin.

BORG_CACHE_DIR and BORG_KEYS_DIR moves borg cache files from /root/tmp (memory) to my cache drive (small SSD).

thanks for your script ;D

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Noticed the same thing martinj, but I use the --files-cache=mtime,size command instead as they say the ignore inode is depricated now.

I made the terrible mistake also of not backing up my .cache drive before my reboot, so I kept wondering why it always wants thinks my repository is unknown >.> now I copy it over the same was as I do with my ssh-files from /boot/ssh on array startup.

Edited by Nischi