VPN from a VM

Hello All,

As the title suggests I am looking to be able to figure out a way that I can VPN from a Windows 10 VM.

The reason i want to be able to do this is I've created a VM dedicated for work (it's clean no bullshit, has all the apps in need and setup the way i need for work). However my issue is that when i RDP to this VM and want to connect to my work VPN of course the connection drops.

I am looking for ideas around this situation.

Post back a solution if you find it or one is offered.  I would be interested in the solution myself.  I will be VPNing to work myself latter this year.  Don't want their (work's) crap on my laptop.  Last time I installed their software (number of years ago now and probably wasn't VPN) it messed up my internet even when I wasn't connected to their server.  I had to reinstall the OS to resolve.  So I will only do it now if I can use a VM.

I ended up making a clone of my work laptop hard drive and loading the VirtIO drivers onto it and creating a VM with that image. The VPN software was already loaded on my work laptop so it was already apart of the new VM. I am able to connect to my works VPN with my VM without any issues.

That was what I was going to try.  Give them my old laptop to configure correctly and then transfer it to a VM.  Glad to see that might work.

bennymundz if that would be an option I would suggest you setup a bare metal instance that works first then transfer it to a VM.  Sounds like it would work and it is how I'm going to proceed myself.  Especially since I would have to stick with Windows 7 (what we use here at work).  A solution for Windows 10 might not work for me back on Windows 7.

That was what I was going to try.  Give them my old laptop to configure correctly and then transfer it to a VM.  Glad to see that might work.

bennymundz if that would be an option I would suggest you setup a bare metal instance that works first then transfer it to a VM.  Sounds like it would work and it is how I'm going to proceed myself.  Especially since I would have to stick with Windows 7 (what we use here at work).  A solution for Windows 10 might not work for me back on Windows 7.

Yeah it gets the job done. It is a Windows 7 VM and I don't have any plans on upgrading it to 10. It works so I'll leave it alone. My only complaint is it take a good 5 mins to load up but that is due to all the software on it and the fact that I only load it every couple of weeks at most so when it gets turned on everything wants to update right away.

Make sure that your VM is automatically connected through the VPN, and when you want to RDP to that VM simply put yourself in the VPN before doing so ?

Or maybe with dual LAN in your VM, so you can always access the VM from either network (VPN or local)

Make sure that your VM is automatically connected through the VPN, and when you want to RDP to that VM simply put yourself in the VPN before doing so ?

Or maybe with dual LAN in your VM, so you can always access the VM from either network (VPN or local)

Dual LAN is what I'm looking to be able to do as my work does not support split tunneling.

• 3 years later...
41 minutes ago, PieQuest said:

Ya, I did that, I'm just not sure where to go from there. How do I set 1 VNIC to do VPN and the other to handle LAN?

Right now i'm just using the built in windows vpn to connect to my work. I'm just unsure how to route that through a specific VNIC.

What should happen is the VPN chooses one of the NICs the other will stay connected to the internal network. What software is it using? Sounds almost like its not setup right as if your using an IP that is part of the local gateway the VPN isn't supposed to stop you from connecting to it unless its setup in a very specific way to grab literally all traffic.