Unable to passthrough GPU

Domain id=4 is tainted: high-privileges

Domain id=4 is tainted: host-cpu

char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

is the only thing that shows up in the VM log.

im using the following:

Asus P8Z68 DELUXE & i5 3570S (Motherboard doesn't have on-board video)

MSI 8500GT

Sapphire 7870 XT

Clicking Info in the webui shows

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

i've tried passing through both those cards and it gives me the same thing, i've been trying to look for a solution but i have no idea whats going on or how to fix it, any help seriously appreciated.

Did you try with both plugged in at the same time ?

I' not sure wether you can pass through with only one GPU. (At least with an iGP that doesn't work)

yes i've tried with both plugged in.

• Changing BIOS to SeaBios and OVMF
  • Changing Machine Type
  • Tried PCIe ACS Override Set ON
  • Tried supplying the GPU ROM manually through the XML

i can set the CPU to emulated and Domain id=4 is tainted: host-cpu stops showing but it will still give me Domain id=4 is tainted: high-privileges.

I set the GPU to VNC and it boots the VM fine (with the CPU Passthrough)

really no idea.....

Just an FYI, the messages in the VM log are absolutely fine. They happen when GPU assignment works or not.  They are not error messages at all, in fact, but rather, just letting you know that you can't use VM live migration features, which is fine, because we don't support that anyway (enterprise / business class feature).

All of that said, I'm not 100% sure it's your motherboard.  It could be those particular GPUs.  Hard to tell without being able to test them on another IOMMU capable motherboard.

Just an FYI, the messages in the VM log are absolutely fine. They happen when GPU assignment works or not.  They are not error messages at all, in fact, but rather, just letting you know that you can't use VM live migration features, which is fine, because we don't support that anyway (enterprise / business class feature).

All of that said, I'm not 100% sure it's your motherboard.  It could be those particular GPUs.  Hard to tell without being able to test them on another IOMMU capable motherboard.

I do have another board i could try but im not entirely sure if its IOMMU capable and it means taking it apart and swapping out CPU not that big of a deal though.

could you recommend another GPU that's known to work? NVIDIA or AMD something on par with the 7870 i have.

My board does not have onboard video, and would not pass through the GPU I wanted (GTX 750) until I also installed an older GPU and did not pass it through. That may be an easier fix or test for you than swapping out boards

In the OP he shows having two GPUs already and tried passing through either results in the same. He has left both attached I believe.

I swapped CPU's and tried the other motherboard.

Checked to see if it supported IOMMU in the unraid webui this is what i got:

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Went into the bios of the MB was able to choose between igpu, pci, pcie for primary display i chose igpu there was also another option that would empower both igpu and pci/pcie (multi monitor) i tried the vm with it enabled and disabled.

results: same issue as OP.

The GTX 550 can be problematic, but it should at least light up your monitor.  How old are the GPUs / motherboards / processors you have tested with?  I'm pretty shocked that you're having so much difficulty. If they are several years old, that could be the issue (just poor IOMMU implementation or odd GPUs).

The GTX 550 can be problematic, but it should at least light up your monitor.  How old are the GPUs / motherboards / processors you have tested with?  I'm pretty shocked that you're having so much difficulty. If they are several years old, that could be the issue (just poor IOMMU implementation or odd GPUs).

Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 so not the current Haswell tech.

i5 3570S - pretty much new

Sapphire 7870 XT -had this for 3+ years

Motherboards i havent had long < year.

im thinking it might just be the motherboards and shitty IOMMU support from shitty Asus.

i may just sell everything i have and buy current with tested hardware for now i'll wait until i can get the 550GTX to test some more.

If i decide to buy new hardware what should i be looking at in the mid range?

I need VM and GPU Passthrough capabilites

im thinking it might just be the motherboards and shitty IOMMU support from shitty Asus.

i may just sell everything i have and buy current with tested hardware for now i'll wait until i can get the 550GTX to test some more.

What's your total budget / range?  How many SATA ports do you require?  How many GPUs / other PCI devices do you intend to install?  Can definitely give you some pointers.

What's your total budget / range?  How many SATA ports do you require?  How many GPUs / other PCI devices do you intend to install?  Can definitely give you some pointers.

budget $1400 if i can sell both my current setups for around $400-$500 each + some extra from my pocket.

*note im dealing with Canadian Dollars.

*Ill probably be buying from newegg.ca or canadacomputers.com

Not looking to buy any drives but i need at least 7 sata for the ones i already have.

I just need 1 gpu for a single VM, maybe a sound card but im not sure how much of a benefit passing a sound card to a vm is going to give me.

budget $1400 if i can sell both my current setups for around $400-$500 each + some extra from my pocket.

Not looking to buy any drives but i need at least 7 sata for the ones i already have.

I just need 1 gpu for a single VM, maybe a sound card but im not sure how much of a benefit passing a sound card to a vm is going to give me.

Ok, I think your budget is reasonable.  Do you want to go new CPU as well (haswell series) or do you want to try to stick with the CPU you have already?

If you stick with what you got, it might work just fine with another motherboard.  If you go completely new CPU/Mobo, I would push you to purchase based on a system I have tested and working (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Workstation_.283_of_3.29).  That system has 10 SATA ports on the mobo itself and I've tested it with several GPUs now and it works really solid.

Ok, I think your budget is reasonable.  Do you want to go new CPU as well (haswell series) or do you want to try to stick with the CPU you have already?

If you stick with what you got, it might work just fine with another motherboard.  If you go completely new CPU/Mobo, I would push you to purchase based on a system I have tested and working (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Workstation_.283_of_3.29).  That system has 10 SATA ports on the mobo itself and I've tested it with several GPUs now and it works really solid.

if i stick with what i have, which motherboard would you recommend? also where could i even buy that motherboard in the link, just did a search and it doesn't seem to be getting sold anywhere.

if i stick with what i have, which motherboard would you recommend? also where could i even buy that motherboard in the link, just did a search and it doesn't seem to be getting sold anywhere.

I will put a build together for you based on currently available hardware.  That or I could resell you the one I have ;-).