[Support] Linuxserver.io - MariaDB

Hi, I installed maridb for the first time and when I try to access it from the embeded console, firefox (latest version) opens a pop up but I cannot see the text since the characters do have the same colour as the background. Any idea how to solve this?

Rgds.

7 hours ago, luca2 said:

Hi, I installed maridb for the first time and when I try to access it from the embeded console, firefox (latest version) opens a pop up but I cannot see the text since the characters do have the same colour as the background. Any idea how to solve this?

Rgds.

If you mean the console built in to unraid when you click on a container it has nothing to do with the container. Most likely an extension in firefox making trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, yesterday i added a cache drive to my unraid server, which i belive somehow messed up the appdata share for the docker containers.

all the containers need to be set up again.

currently i am stuck at fixing mariadb, as the "mysqld.sock" is missing and the sql server wont start. it is supposed to be located in "/var/run/mysqld/"

trying to login to the sql server gives me this error:
"# mysql -uroot -p
Enter password:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)"

i have removed and readded the mariadb docker from the community applications plugin. but still the file is missing.

edit:

turns out i am missing alot of files in appdata folder after my screwup.

deleting mariadb folder from appdata and setting up mariadb from scratch solved my issue.

Edited by afsilver
33 minutes ago, afsilver said:

Hi, yesterday i added a cache drive to my unraid server, which i belive somehow messed up the appdata share for the docker containers.

all the containers need to be set up again.

currently i am stuck at fixing mariadb, as the "mysqld.sock" is missing and the sql server wont start. it is supposed to be located in "/var/run/mysqld/"

trying to login to the sql server gives me this error:
"# mysql -uroot -p
Enter password:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)"

i have removed and readded the mariadb docker from the community applications plugin. but still the file is missing.

edit:

turns out i am missing alot of files in appdata folder after my screwup.

deleting mariadb folder from appdata and setting up mariadb from scratch solved my issue.

What are your mappings for the mariaDB container? What do you use for your appdata directory?  Is it possible that your dockers are configured to use only the cache content like /mnt/cache/appdata/... and that you have application data on the array and not on the cache like /mnt/user/appdata/...?

Make sure your appdata is a cache-only share so that data in /mnt/cache/appdata never gets moved to the array and becomes unavailable for your containers.

• Like 1

i had the appdata share set to cache only. but some files where not moved. so i set cache to prefer and started the mover.
then i set the cache back to only. now i cannot find any appdata folders on any disks.
but i later read in another thread that i should manually move from mnt/disk'X' -> mnt/cache, not from mnt/user -> mnt/cache.

but to answer your question. my mapping for mariadb was /mnt/user/appdata/mariadb, but now it is /mnt/cache/appdata/mariadb.

4 minutes ago, afsilver said:

...now i cannot find any appdata folders on any disks.

but i later read in another thread that i should manually move from mnt/disk'X' -> mnt/cache, not from mnt/user -> mnt/cache.

but to answer your question. my mapping for mariadb was /mnt/user/appdata/mariadb, but now it is /mnt/cache/appdata/mariadb.

So appdata is only present on your cache, that's good and your mariaDB path is OK.  And you are right, moving from a share (/mnt/user) directly to a disk is a bad idea.  Always copy share to share or disk to disk.

Have you tried installing MariaDB to a new appdata like /mnt/cache/appdata/mariadb2, verify that this works, stop the container, copy the content of the mariadb dir to the mariadb2 dir, pray a bit and start it back up?  Without real backup, that's the only thing I can think of.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Gog said:

So appdata is only present on your cache, that's good and your mariaDB path is OK.  And you are right, moving from a share (/mnt/user) directly to a disk is a bad idea.  Always copy share to share or disk to disk.

Have you tried installing MariaDB to a new appdata like /mnt/cache/appdata/mariadb2, verify that this works, stop the container, copy the content of the mariadb dir to the mariadb2 dir, pray a bit and start it back up?  Without real backup, that's the only thing I can think of.

i did edit my first post, axplaining that i "fixed" mariadb by deleting the mariadb folder in appdata. you must have missed it 😃
it now works. but onto nextcloud which is also f'd.

thanks for the help anyways :D

6 minutes ago, afsilver said:

i did edit my first post, axplaining that i "fixed" mariadb by deleting the mariadb folder in appdata. you must have missed it 😃

Better that then the other way!  Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 10:06 PM, afsilver said:

I'm also suffering from a missing mysql.sock. The problem emerged after a docker update. Before I delete my own mariadb folder from appdata I'd like to know what problems you had with Nextcloud.

My container was updated 3 days ago and now all I get is this in the log  Whats going on?? 

200507 18:44:16 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
200507 18:44:16 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases
200507 18:44:18 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
200507 18:44:18 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases
200507 18:44:20 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
200507 18:44:20 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases
200507 18:44:22 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
200507 18:44:22 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases

EDIT  I had a look at the previous posts and removed Maria DB and appdata folder for it. When I spin it up again I noticed on the docker page the update status read not available instead of up to date.

Edited by mkono87
On 4/26/2020 at 7:44 AM, saarg said:

You haven't set the permissions for the user correctly. Google for the correct command to allow access.

After having issues with Mariadb I removed the appdata and repulled the container but now its not accepting my password. Why would permissions be different all of a sudden. What am I looking for?

3 hours ago, mkono87 said:

My container was updated 3 days ago and now all I get is this in the log  Whats going on?? 

200507 18:44:16 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases
200507 18:44:18 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
200507 18:44:18 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases
200507 18:44:20 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
200507 18:44:20 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases
200507 18:44:22 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
200507 18:44:22 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases

EDIT  I had a look at the previous posts and removed Maria DB and appdata folder for it. When I spin it up again I noticed on the docker page the update status read not available instead of up to date.

I'm getting the exact same thing, which has taken down nextcloud obviously. When I tried to login in I get :

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)

EDIT:

And just like the above, deleting mariadb completely along with the appdata folder, restoring from my last CA backup a few days ago, and then reinstalling the docker container while pointing it to the restored appdata folder fixed the issue.

Thank god for backups, but I really shouldn't had have to use it just because of an update....

Edited by goose1701
On 5/5/2020 at 7:53 AM, sampla said:

I'm also suffering from a missing mysql.sock. The problem emerged after a docker update. Before I delete my own mariadb folder from appdata I'd like to know what problems you had with Nextcloud.

Cant really remember, i believe it got a full reset. So i started over, since it did not contain any files, just a few users.

But i also believe this is the wrong thread for nextcloud issues.

Edited by afsilver
autocorrect

Hi there,

I was getting the endless loop of 

So I stopped the container, removed the appdata file(s) and removed (including image) the docker.

Downloaded new docker, configured it, and went to check the logs before doing anything else.  This is what I found:

ErrorWarningSystemArrayLogin

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: executing...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io

To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-initialise-db: executing...
Setting Up Initial Databases
Installing MariaDB/MySQL system tables in '/config/databases' ...
2020-05-09 15:52:48 0 [ERROR] InnoDB: Operating system error number 103 in a file operation.

2020-05-09 15:52:48 0 [ERROR] InnoDB: Error number 103 means 'Software caused connection abort'

2020-05-09 15:52:48 0 [ERROR] InnoDB: Cannot rename file './ib_logfile101' to './ib_logfile0'

2020-05-09 15:52:48 0 [ERROR] InnoDB: Database creation was aborted with error Generic error. You may need to delete the ibdata1 file before trying to start up again.

2020-05-09 15:52:49 0 [ERROR] InnoDB: Operating system error number 107 in a file operation.

2020-05-09 15:52:49 0 [ERROR] InnoDB: Error number 107 means 'Transport endpoint is not connected'

2020-05-09 15:52:49 0 [ERROR] InnoDB: File (unknown): 'close' returned OS error 307. Cannot continue operation

200509 15:52:49 [ERROR] mysqld got signal 6 ;

This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.

To report this bug, see https://mariadb.com/kb/en/reporting-bugs

We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help
diagnose the problem, but since we have already crashed,
something is definitely wrong and this may fail.

Server version: 10.4.12-MariaDB-1:10.4.12+maria~bionic-log

key_buffer_size=134217728
read_buffer_size=2097152
max_used_connections=0
max_threads=102
thread_count=0
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_threads = 760255 K bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

Thread pointer: 0x0
Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
terribly wrong...
stack_bottom = 0x0 thread_stack 0x49000
/usr/sbin/mysqld(my_print_stacktrace+0x2e)[0x5608d960cc3e]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(handle_fatal_signal+0x515)[0x5608d9080cf5]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x12890)[0x1492f4425890]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0xc7)[0x1492f2d59e97]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x141)[0x1492f2d5b801]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(+0xa890e7)[0x5608d92950e7]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(+0xa8c125)[0x5608d9298125]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(+0xc0b858)[0x5608d9417858]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(+0xc0d9b6)[0x5608d94199b6]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(+0xa72587)[0x5608d927e587]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(+0xb26e9d)[0x5608d9332e9d]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(+0xa1664d)[0x5608d922264d]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(_Z24ha_initialize_handlertonP13st_plugin_int+0x62)[0x5608d9083d52]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(+0x674c09)[0x5608d8e80c09]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(_Z11plugin_initPiPPci+0x84a)[0x5608d8e81dea]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(+0x59e3f9)[0x5608d8daa3f9]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(_Z11mysqld_mainiPPc+0x566)[0x5608d8db08d6]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe7)[0x1492f2d3cb97]
/usr/sbin/mysqld(_start+0x2a)[0x5608d8da44ea]
The manual page at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is causing the crash.
Writing a core file...
Working directory at /config/databases
Resource Limits:
Limit Soft Limit Hard Limit Units
Max cpu time unlimited unlimited seconds
Max file size unlimited unlimited bytes
Max data size unlimited unlimited bytes
Max stack size unlimited unlimited bytes
Max core file size 0 0 bytes
Max resident set unlimited unlimited bytes
Max processes 386184 386184 processes
Max open files 40960 40960 files
Max locked memory unlimited unlimited bytes
Max address space unlimited unlimited bytes
Max file locks unlimited unlimited locks
Max pending signals 386184 386184 signals
Max msgqueue size 819200 819200 bytes
Max nice priority 0 0
Max realtime priority 0 0
Max realtime timeout unlimited unlimited us
Core pattern: core

Aborted

Installation of system tables failed! Examine the logs in

/config/databases for more information.

The problem could be conflicting information in an external
my.cnf files. You can ignore these by doing:

shell> /usr/bin/mysql_install_db --defaults-file=~/.my.cnf

You can also try to start the mysqld daemon with:

shell> /usr/sbin/mysqld --skip-grant-tables --general-log &

and use the command line tool /usr/bin/mysql
to connect to the mysql database and look at the grant tables:

shell> /usr/bin/mysql -u root mysql
mysql> show tables;

Try 'mysqld --help' if you have problems with paths. Using
--general-log gives you a log in /config/databases that may be helpful.

The latest information about mysql_install_db is available at
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/installing-system-tables-mysql_install_db
You can find the latest source at https://downloads.mariadb.org and
the maria-discuss email list at https://launchpad.net/~maria-discuss

Please check all of the above before submitting a bug report
at http://mariadb.org/jira

2020-05-09 15:52:49 0 [Note] mysqld (mysqld 10.4.12-MariaDB-1:10.4.12+maria~bionic-log) starting as process 306 ...
2020-05-09 15:52:49 0 [Warning] Can't create test file /config/databases/3695b5df793a.lower-test

mysqld: Can't change dir to '/config/databases/' (Errcode: 107 "Transport endpoint is not connected")
2020-05-09 15:52:49 0 [ERROR] Aborting

Did I do the uninstall-re-install process incorrectly?  

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance for your help! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have screwed up my database while messing around and deleted mysql.db.  Not a big deal because I am trying to learn about databases. Question, can someone walk me through the steps of completely deleting everything and starting over please!

I have phpMyAdmin running in  a separate docker. It can connect to the MariaDB, but I can't create (or view users). This is a fresh install.

I've tried a lot of suggestions from google searches but honestly I'm pretty new at this and at a loss. I've uninstalled the docker and deleted it's app directory a few times to make sure I haven't made anything worse. Attached image is logged in as root.

mariadb privileges.PNG