[Support] Linuxserver.io - MariaDB

4 minutes ago, saarg said:

It still doesn't have anything to do with our container. There is MySQL inside the container. It's pretty obvious from looking at the screenshot you posted.

Starting mysqld

/usr/bin/mysqld

@saarg I may not have your level of expertise when it comes to this sort of thing, but it was a genuine question, asked with sincerity so that I could fix my problem. I won't take it personally as I've noticed you take a similar tone with other individuals on this forum, but please remember, we all started somewhere. 

1 hour ago, LoneTraveler said:

@saarg I may not have your level of expertise when it comes to this sort of thing, but it was a genuine question, asked with sincerity so that I could fix my problem. I won't take it personally as I've noticed you take a similar tone with other individuals on this forum, but please remember, we all started somewhere. 

There was no anger or tone meant from my side. I was just pointing out that it doesn't have anything to do with our mariadb since the nginx proxy manager have its own MySQL server running inside the container.

16 minutes ago, saarg said:

There was no anger or tone meant from my side. I was just pointing out that it doesn't have anything to do with our mariadb since the nginx proxy manager have its own MySQL server running inside the container.

Thanks for clarifying, appreciated. 

I'll focus my attention over on the NginxProxyManager support page, hopefully this is an easy fix. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

ok i got the error mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases

i now understand that its a corruption of the db......

i totally suck and dont have a backup....... any idea on how to get the data from the ibdata1 file? 

ok i know i failed to backup and will start working on that asap but the data on those db were important so is there anyone who have any idea?

Thx for the support

2 hours ago, LifeBasher said:

ok i got the error mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases

i now understand that its a corruption of the db......

i totally suck and dont have a backup....... any idea on how to get the data from the ibdata1 file? 

ok i know i failed to backup and will start working on that asap but the data on those db were important so is there anyone who have any idea?

Thx for the support

That is a normal message and not an error.

2 hours ago, saarg said:

That is a normal message and not an error.

Sorry u are right when it write it once its a normal message but when its an endless loop it isn't 

So i forgot to mention that it was an endless loop of that message

It comes from the file idbdata1 caus i tried to reinstall the docker and it start crashing again as soon as i bring that file 

And from my understanding it looks like all the db data and for real im so doomed if i cant do anything about it ....

Edited by LifeBasher
16 minutes ago, LifeBasher said:

Sorry u are right when it write it once its a normal message but when its an endless loop it isn't 

So i forgot to mention that it was an endless loop of that message

It comes from the file idbdata1 caus i tried to reinstall the docker and it start crashing again as soon as i bring that file 

And from my understanding it looks like all the db data and for real im so doomed if i cant do anything about it ....

That is crucial information to add :)

As for fixing the database I don't have any suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Good day all,
I have been using Mariadb for some time and recently I have noticed that on my docker setting page I see the following 'not available' action where it generally says 'up-to-date' <see attached screen>

anyone else encounter this concern or know a fix?

Thanks

mariadb.JPG

Edited by bombz
37 minutes ago, bombz said:

Good day all,
I have been using Mariadb for some time and recently I have noticed that on my docker setting page I see the following 'not available' action where it generally says 'up-to-date' <see attached screen>

anyone else encounter this concern or know a fix?

Thanks

mariadb.JPG

That happens sometimes for all the dockers. Just run another check for updates and it’ll go away.

1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

That happens sometimes for all the dockers. Just run another check for updates and it’ll go away.

Gotcha.
Not sure where I can select 'check for updates' under the options when you select the icon, it doesn't list that as something to select.

I am just trying to figure out how MariaDB works and have a question. Can you use the same MariaDB for multiple different apps? For instance I have MariaDB installed and my Nextcloud uses it. If I install Piwigo can it also use that same MariaDB?  Will it just create and manage multiple databases for different apps? Is there a point where it starts to get too slow when using multiple apps? My database for Nextcloud is around 160GB and when I install Piwigo it will also be around 150-200GB.  I'm sure the size isnt a issue, really just wanted to make sure that multiple apps can use the same MariaDB.

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, SPOautos said:

really just wanted to make sure that multiple apps can use the same MariaDB.

They can, but the fact that you are asking means that you shouldn't, at least until you understand the consequences of sharing the same engine for multiple apps.

The short and sweet of it is, if you mess up the database for one app, and don't have the technical knowledge to manually fix it, you will be stuck losing ALL your databases to recover the one rogue app.

Containers share resources, disk space, cpu and ram. Whether you spin up 2 db containers or one, the server usage is the same, each additional copy of the container only consumes the space and other resources used by the additional data of the apps using the database, just like a single container would.

The only downside to multiple containers is keeping track of the port numbers, but there are 10s of thousands of port numbers at your disposal.

If you want to educate yourself on database management, on the surface it's not that bad, but it's a deep field of knowledge. Much easier to use docker containers the way they were meant to be used, as individual building blocks that can be discarded and replaced as needed without effecting other containers.

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

They can, but the fact that you are asking means that you shouldn't, at least until you understand the consequences of sharing the same engine for multiple apps.

The short and sweet of it is, if you mess up the database for one app, and don't have the technical knowledge to manually fix it, you will be stuck losing ALL your databases to recover the one rogue app.

Containers share resources, disk space, cpu and ram. Whether you spin up 2 db containers or one, the server usage is the same, each additional copy of the container only consumes the space and other resources used by the additional data of the apps using the database, just like a single container would.

The only downside to multiple containers is keeping track of the port numbers, but there are 10s of thousands of port numbers at your disposal.

If you want to educate yourself on database management, on the surface it's not that bad, but it's a deep field of knowledge. Much easier to use docker containers the way they were meant to be used, as individual building blocks that can be discarded and replaced as needed without effecting other containers.

So the better thing (for a newb) would be to just install MariaDB a second time using different port numbers.....and during install, would I also need to change the appdata location/file name so that the second install doesn't over write the first install? (basically to keep them totally seperate)

21 minutes ago, SPOautos said:

So the better thing (for a newb) would be to just install MariaDB a second time using different port numbers.....and during install, would I also need to change the appdata location/file name so that the second install doesn't over write the first install? (basically to keep them totally seperate)

Exactly. Name each instance so it's easy for you to figure out which database serves what. That way when something gets ornery, you can deal with only the one app.

Use the docker folders app to keep things tidy if having many container icons showing causes you OCD pain.

• Like 1

hello guys i have a big problem, from this morning i think my mariadb docker does not work. i have my nextcloud on it...

if i try on command line to login i get this error.

any help?.

mysql -uroot -p
Enter password:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)

Hi everyone, 

I am having some issues with MariaDB, namely with creating a new user. 

Half a week ago I also had an issue where it dropped all the mysql.user passwords after a gracefull reboot of unraid so it might have to do something with that.

In the picture you can see MariaDB does say the command worked but actualy it didn't.

Hope someone can help, Ent.

image.png.3fe196155ac098109af057ee5d447f24.png

Hi all,

I noticed this morning that my mariadb docker was simply gone, causing all sorts of issues for me.
I managed to repair it by going into apps, previous apps, reinstall mariadb, and it seems to have picked up it's old database etc and things *seem* fine.

Then for some reason, in the docker list, it needed an update. Though it was only gone maybe a day, and I have auto updates turned on.

I was just wondering what could have caused it to drop out like that?

On 10/31/2020 at 8:42 PM, 4554551n said:

Hi all,

I noticed this morning that my mariadb docker was simply gone, causing all sorts of issues for me.
I managed to repair it by going into apps, previous apps, reinstall mariadb, and it seems to have picked up it's old database etc and things *seem* fine.

Then for some reason, in the docker list, it needed an update. Though it was only gone maybe a day, and I have auto updates turned on.

I was just wondering what could have caused it to drop out like that?

I'm having the same issue. I noticed an update was available and when I attempted to apply the update it froze during the process saying it had downloaded 0 of 0 bytes and the process never continued after that. I killed the browser tab and went back in and found the MariaDB docker missing entirely. I put it back via previous apps feature, but it still said an update was available and attempting to update caused it to freeze then disappear again. I'd also like to know how to properly update or what I may have done wrong. Thanks.