[Support] Linuxserver.io - FreshRSS

Trying to install this Docker and getting an error ... not sure if this is a me thing or a general thing?

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: net/http: request canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers).
See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

3 hours ago, chewchump said:

Trying to install this Docker and getting an error ... not sure if this is a me thing or a general thing?

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: net/http: request canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers).
See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

A 'you' problem, somewhere.

I just reinstalled my docker and it went smooth, took about 3 seconds.

It seems that you are getting blocked from connecting to the Docker website, either by a DNS/firewall/vpn/proxy/ something along those lines.  Even something like pi-hole could potentially block you. 

1 hour ago, Energen said:

A 'you' problem, somewhere.

I just reinstalled my docker and it went smooth, took about 3 seconds.

It seems that you are getting blocked from connecting to the Docker website, either by a DNS/firewall/vpn/proxy/ something along those lines.  Even something like pi-hole could potentially block you. 

Ah thank you for checking for me - I appreciate that! 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

has anyone been able to implement fail2ban with this container? I'm running SWAG as my reverse proxy, and I only see an internal IP address in the logs. This is the only service this is happening. How do I get the real IP address in FreshRSS logs?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Just a note for anyone else. I've been trying to setup pass-through authentication to this docker. The documentation for FreshRSS (under nginx) is not great, and it a took a while to figure it out.

There's three changes you need to make (once you've set it up with an initial user).

1. Edit the file config.php (located in /config/www/freshrss/data/ ) and change the auth_type to http_auth:

'auth_type' => 'http_auth',

Has to be done here as by default it's grayed out in the web ui.

2. Start the FreshRSS docker, and open a console into it. Then create your .htpasswd file:

htpasswd -c /config/nginx/site-confs/.htpasswd <freshrss username>

This will request the password for the user, and write the file out there. Repeat for any other users if need be.

3. Edit the nginx site file (located at: /config/nginx/site-confs/default )

server {
        listen 80;
        listen 443 ssl;
        index index.html index.htm index.php;
        server_name _;
        ssl_certificate /config/keys/cert.crt;
        ssl_certificate_key /config/keys/cert.key;
        client_max_body_size 0;
        root /usr/share/webapps/freshrss/p;
        index index.php index.html index.htm;

location ~ ^.+?\.php(/.*)?$ {
                fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
                fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
                fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $fastcgi_path_info;
                include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
                fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
        }
        location / {
                try_files $uri $uri/ index.php;
        }
        location /i {
                auth_basic "Login";
                auth_basic_user_file /config/nginx/site-confs/.htpasswd;

fastcgi_param REMOTE_USER $remote_user;
                }
        }
}

Feel free to correct if necessary. This means if using a different reverse proxy than nginx or apache etc (i.e. edge firewall/router) to auth through that and pass through the auth directly to the application.

Note the default is to just create a new user and log them in. There's another option in the config.php:

'http_auth_auto_register' => false,

Thanks seeya.

Edited by plowna
  • 3 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:25 PM, akshunj said:

I know this is months later, but:

1. the error message for the mobile app is because the api password is not set.  If you set this and fill in the same password when prompted on the mobile app, you are set.

2. Readrops is a fine android RSS reader, and it supports freshrss.

Hello, I'm currently trying to connect FreshRSS to that app (Readrops), but I can't get it to detect the container.

I already edited the config.php, adding the container port, as per the FreshRSS suggestion (base url problem detected). So, after adding the corresponding port, both shows: PASS (✔️).

This is what fill-in inside the android app:

Account url: http://server_ip:port/api/grader.php

Account name: FreshRSS user (login credentials)

Login: FreshRSS user password (login credentiales)

Password: API pass (Settings > Profile > API Management)

Thank you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I tried with an app called 'FocusReader', and it connects with the container. But I would like to try FreshRSS.

Edited by SmartPhoneLover
  • 7 months later...

Hi all,

I am running unraid for the first time and have installed the FressRSS container on it with minimal configuration. DB is SQLite and it has its own IP on my network. The problem I am seeing is that now that the instance is up and running I want to add some feeds - however when I click the subscription or + button I get a server 500 error.

Digging in to the logs nginx is throwing the following into the error.log:

2022/08/11 14:48:03 [error] 201#201: *1023 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning:  In
valid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/share/webapps/freshrss/app/views/javascript/nbUnrea
dsPerFeed.phtml on line 7PHP message: PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /u
sr/share/webapps/freshrss/app/views/javascript/nbUnreadsPerFeed.phtml on line 12" while reading r
esponse header from upstream, client: 192.168.0.122, server: _, request: "GET /i/?c=javascript&a=
nbUnreadsPerFeed HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "192.168.0.62"

To me that reads like it might be throwing an error because there are no feeds yet? Anyone have suggestions please?

On 8/11/2022 at 2:55 PM, hoju said:

Hi all,

I am running unraid for the first time and have installed the FressRSS container on it with minimal configuration. DB is SQLite and it has its own IP on my network. The problem I am seeing is that now that the instance is up and running I want to add some feeds - however when I click the subscription or + button I get a server 500 error.

Digging in to the logs nginx is throwing the following into the error.log:

2022/08/11 14:48:03 [error] 201#201: *1023 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning:  In
valid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/share/webapps/freshrss/app/views/javascript/nbUnrea
dsPerFeed.phtml on line 7PHP message: PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /u
sr/share/webapps/freshrss/app/views/javascript/nbUnreadsPerFeed.phtml on line 12" while reading r
esponse header from upstream, client: 192.168.0.122, server: _, request: "GET /i/?c=javascript&a=
nbUnreadsPerFeed HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "192.168.0.62"

To me that reads like it might be throwing an error because there are no feeds yet? Anyone have suggestions please?

Ended up removing the instance and doing a complete fresh install including to a new config directory. This time around I could add feeds. Crisis averted.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm looking to do a fresh install.  When I click "install" from the app store I get this message:

One or more ports used by this application are already in use by another service or app running on your server. You will need to adjust the host ports accordingly on the template

The docker template has port 80 filled in.  From what I'm reading in this thread it seems that port 80 is fine.  I only have a basic understanding of ports and I believe port 80 is HTTP so that makes sense to me.  But am I supposed to use something else?  I'm just cautious because I don't want to accidentally break my ability to access Unraid from the browser to fix any problem I create.  Other than the port question, all of the other docker settings seem pretty straightforward.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, zero_koop said:

Hi, I'm looking to do a fresh install.  When I click "install" from the app store I get this message:

The docker template has port 80 filled in.  From what I'm reading in this thread it seems that port 80 is fine.  I only have a basic understanding of ports and I believe port 80 is HTTP so that makes sense to me.  But am I supposed to use something else?  I'm just cautious because I don't want to accidentally break my ability to access Unraid from the browser to fix any problem I create.  Other than the port question, all of the other docker settings seem pretty straightforward.  Thanks.

If you don't have another docker container using port 80 then it is probably unRAID (Check this in Settings -> Management Access -> HTTP Port). Just use another number instead. 8080 is another common port number to use, then just use numbers up from there.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Zan said:

If you don't have another docker container using port 80 then it is probably unRAID (Check this in Settings -> Management Access -> HTTP Port). Just use another number instead. 8080 is another common port number to use, then just use numbers up from there.

Thank you! Yes, it was Unraid using port 80 and thanks because I didn't know that it was safe to use ports above 8080 because that was also in use, so I used 8081 and it worked!  Much appreciated.

On 12/23/2021 at 1:20 PM, SmartPhoneLover said:

Hello, I'm currently trying to connect FreshRSS to that app (Readrops), but I can't get it to detect the container.

I already edited the config.php, adding the container port, as per the FreshRSS suggestion (base url problem detected). So, after adding the corresponding port, both shows: PASS (✔️).

This is what fill-in inside the android app:

Account url: http://server_ip:port/api/grader.php

Account name: FreshRSS user (login credentials)

Login: FreshRSS user password (login credentiales)

Password: API pass (Settings > Profile > API Management)

Thank you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I tried with an app called 'FocusReader', and it connects with the container. But I would like to try FreshRSS.

@SmartPhoneLover, just wondering if you ever got Readrops working.  Like you I got FocusReader working but can't get Readrops to connect.  For what it is worth, this is the inputs I am trying (I think yours are wrong, but then again mine don't work either):

Account url: http://server_ip:port/api/greader.php

Account name: FreshRSS

Login: username

Password: API password (Settings > Profile > API Management)

If I get this working I'll probably make another post for newbies like me, but to get you started here is the manual (took me forever to find this): https://freshrss.github.io/FreshRSS/en/ or more specifically, this page:https://freshrss.github.io/FreshRSS/en/developers/06_GoogleReader_API.html

I am interested in making FreshRSS available to my phone when I am outside of my network, but honestly I have no idea where to start.  Is this something I need to research at a level beyond FreshRSS or is this something I can implement just for FreshRSS?  I know my Plex server is available outside of my network but I assume that is because you technically connect to a Plex.tv server which then connects to your home server and that is why I've never had to do any special setup to make Plex available outside of my network.  Is that the difference?  If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate the nudge.

4 hours ago, zero_koop said:

I am interested in making FreshRSS available to my phone when I am outside of my network, but honestly I have no idea where to start.  Is this something I need to research at a level beyond FreshRSS or is this something I can implement just for FreshRSS?  I know my Plex server is available outside of my network but I assume that is because you technically connect to a Plex.tv server which then connects to your home server and that is why I've never had to do any special setup to make Plex available outside of my network.  Is that the difference?  If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate the nudge.

If you have your own domain and cloudflare is your registrar then I'd recommend setting up an argo tunnel and using the cloudflared docker. Otherwise use the swag docker. SpaceInvaderOne has a video for swag. For cloudflared there's site with good instructions.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, plowna said:

o be done here as by default it's grayed out in the web ui.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, plowna said:

Just a note for anyone else. I've been trying to setup pass-through authentication to this docker. The documentation for FreshRSS (under nginx) is not great, and it a took a while to figure it out.

There's three changes you need to make (once you've set it up with an initial user).

1. Edit the file config.php (located in /config/www/freshrss/data/ ) and change the auth_type to http_auth:

'auth_type' => 'http_auth',

Has to be done here as by default it's grayed out in the web ui.

2. Start the FreshRSS docker, and open a console into it. Then create your .htpasswd file:

htpasswd -c /config/nginx/site-confs/.htpasswd <freshrss username>

This will request the password for the user, and write the file out there. Repeat for any other users if need be.

3. Edit the nginx site file (located at: /config/nginx/site-confs/default )

server {
        listen 80;
        listen 443 ssl;
        index index.html index.htm index.php;
        server_name _;
        ssl_certificate /config/keys/cert.crt;
        ssl_certificate_key /config/keys/cert.key;
        client_max_body_size 0;
        root /usr/share/webapps/freshrss/p;
        index index.php index.html index.htm;

}
        location / {
                try_files $uri $uri/ index.php;
        }
        location /i {
                auth_basic "Login";
                auth_basic_user_file /config/nginx/site-confs/.htpasswd;

fastcgi_param REMOTE_USER $remote_user;
                }
        }
}

Feel free to correct if necessary. This means if using a different reverse proxy than nginx or apache etc (i.e. edge firewall/router) to auth through that and pass through the auth directly to the application.

Note the default is to just create a new user and log them in. There's another option in the config.php:

'http_auth_auto_register' => false,

Thanks seeya.

And if the NGINX server is on a different server? 

I have a centralize NGINX to all my services deployed on dedicated machines...

• 5 months later...
On 12/27/2022 at 5:25 PM, VDIAS said:

And if the NGINX server is on a different server? 

I have a centralize NGINX to all my services deployed on dedicated machines...

Kind of late response, but just so it's documented here step 3 still has to be done for the NGINX server that FreshRSS runs to host the site since this allows the remote user login process to work.  FreshRSS has some NGINX config recommendations in their documentation here that I referenced after following the steps quoted and this allowed the reverse proxy to work + removed the network errors I was getting when feeds were being marked as read with my default configs.

• 6 months later...

I have started getting this error when I go to log in:

The web server seems to be incorrectly configured for cookies required for PHP sessions!

This is on all machine I've tried and with different browsers. I also tried deleting the image and reinstalling,

Do I have something misconfiguration? The only thing I changed was the port.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 6:51 PM, skinsvpn said:

I have started getting this error when I go to log in:

The web server seems to be incorrectly configured for cookies required for PHP sessions!

This is on all machine I've tried and with different browsers. I also tried deleting the image and reinstalling,

Do I have something misconfiguration? The only thing I changed was the port.

I had the same problem. After a few hours I managed to get it working by simply restoring an old config. The problem must've been a bad config during an update.

Go to your `appdata/freshrss/www/freshrss/data` folder and run the following to be a bit safe:

mv config.php config.php.bad
mv config.php.bak.php config.php

I may have gotten lucky with a good bak.config though.

Alternatively you might have to completely blow out the data folder and rebuild. If you don't want to go through the hassle of setting up your subscriptions again, inside the config.php you can set

'auth_type' => 'none',

export all your feeds and then blow everything out, rebuild and just import your feeds back in. You'd still have to setup API passwords and all that if you're using a mobile client but hopefully the auto backed up config works for you as well