[Support] Linuxserver.io - Kodi-Headless

9 hours ago, RivaSABB said:

OK, I understand but is there a way to sync the databases so that I only need to maintain one? For example if I rename a movie in one database will it rename in the others?

I don't think so.  What you could do is have local nfo data in each folder e.g all my movies are 'scrubbed' by radarr first that creates local metadata files for kodi to pickup including artwork (although I use artwork beef for full coverage)

On 4/28/2018 at 3:50 PM, DZMM said:

I don't think so.  What you could do is have local nfo data in each folder e.g all my movies are 'scrubbed' by radarr first that creates local metadata files for kodi to pickup including artwork (although I use artwork beef for full coverage)

Thanks for all your help. Done some investigating and it looks like integrating Emby will sort this out for me.

Have a super day!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys - 

So I got this container set up this morning, but have a few questions.  Below is how I currently update my library, how I set up the container, and my questions please...

How I Currently Update My Library

I have a mysql database which resides in it's own mysql Docker container (mysql:5.7.21).  To keep it up to date, I have a dedicated installation of Ubuntu in an ESX VM which runs the latest Kodi and obviously has advancedsettings.xml plus other config files in the default path.  I also use the Kodi Library Updater addon from the main Kodi repo to update & clean just the video library every hour.

Kodi Headless Container Installation & Configuration

I currently run Docker in an ESX VM using Fedora Atomic 27 as a host.

1. Via SSH, I ran the string at the end of these steps to install the container
  2. Once done, I created a new folder on the host within "~/kodiheadless/config" named "userdata" and set recursively to 0777
  3. I then copied the exact advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml from my Ubunutu VM I currently use to update the library into the userdata folder above then started the container

docker create --name=kodi-headless \
-v ~/kodiheadless/config:/config/.kodi:z \
-e PGID=0 -e PUID=0 \
-e TZ=America/Chicago \
-p 8080:8080 -p 9777:9777/udp \
linuxserver/kodi-headless

Since I use Atomic which enables SELinux, I get permissions errors if I don't add ":z" to the end of each created volume

Once started, logs showed "[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts..." then "[cont-finish.d] done" so it seemed to be up.  I didn't know if a web interface was included, but tried accessing it via both ports in a browser as well as connecting to it by adding it as a host within my Kodi app on my iPad, but no go.  I refreshed "~/kodiheadless/config" and saw that it had successfully created many more files/folders including additional ones in the userdata folder.  

My Questions

If it helps, here's a link to the kodi.log from the first time I started the container...

1. First of all, is this container still being maintained?  I see multiple headless Kodi ones so wanted to make sure
  2. As mentioned, once I started the container, many additional files & folders were created.  Should I have copied more than just those two XML files from the Ubuntu VM?  I'm not just talking about XMLs, but files & folders within Userdata or .config from the Ubuntu VM I currently use for that matter.
  3. How do I schedule automatic library updates using this container?  
  4. Would it be possible to install/use addons with this container?  The only other one I use on the Ubuntu VM besides to update Kodi Library is the Trakt one which syncs my library after each update & clean

Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, BzowK said:

Hey Guys - 

So I got this container set up this morning, but have a few questions.  Below is how I currently update my library, how I set up the container, and my questions please...

How I Currently Update My Library

I have a mysql database which resides in it's own mysql Docker container (mysql:5.7.21).  To keep it up to date, I have a dedicated installation of Ubuntu in an ESX VM which runs the latest Kodi and obviously has advancedsettings.xml plus other config files in the default path.  I also use the Kodi Library Updater addon from the main Kodi repo to update & clean just the video library every hour.

Kodi Headless Container Installation & Configuration

I currently run Docker in an ESX VM using Fedora Atomic 27 as a host.

1. Via SSH, I ran the string at the end of these steps to install the container
  2. Once done, I created a new folder on the host within "~/kodiheadless/config" named "userdata" and set recursively to 0777
  3. I then copied the exact advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml from my Ubunutu VM I currently use to update the library into the userdata folder above then started the container

Since I use Atomic which enables SELinux, I get permissions errors if I don't add ":z" to the end of each created volume

Once started, logs showed "[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts..." then "[cont-finish.d] done" so it seemed to be up.  I didn't know if a web interface was included, but tried accessing it via both ports in a browser as well as connecting to it by adding it as a host within my Kodi app on my iPad, but no go.  I refreshed "~/kodiheadless/config" and saw that it had successfully created many more files/folders including additional ones in the userdata folder.  

My Questions

If it helps, here's a link to the kodi.log from the first time I started the container...

1. First of all, is this container still being maintained?  I see multiple headless Kodi ones so wanted to make sure
  2. As mentioned, once I started the container, many additional files & folders were created.  Should I have copied more than just those two XML files from the Ubuntu VM?  I'm not just talking about XMLs, but files & folders within Userdata or .config from the Ubuntu VM I currently use for that matter.
  3. How do I schedule automatic library updates using this container?  
  4. Would it be possible to install/use addons with this container?  The only other one I use on the Ubuntu VM besides to update Kodi Library is the Trakt one which syncs my library after each update & clean

Thanks guys!

Edited by CHBMB
  • 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, rcmpayne said:

ok thanks... just so you know, those that added a Xbox one to a remote database screw them self as it updated the database :(. for Xbox, your only option is Kodi 18

lol , that's what you get for using alphas 

and it's gonna just get worse as alpha of kodi means the database schema could (and most likely will) change several times before release.

Edited by sparklyballs
On 6/14/2018 at 5:03 PM, sparklyballs said:

lol , that's what you get for using alphas 

and it's gonna just get worse as alpha of kodi means the database schema could (and most likely will) change several times before release.

Unfortunately, it's the only option for xbox one owners. :( I'd personally rather not use the alpha, but since in my household xbones are becoming more prevalent and 'easier to use' than having the family switch inputs to watch something on kodi, I'm screwed. :( Looks like it's time to roll my own again :( *Walking away grumbling about xbones*

BTW Mr. Balls, you rock ;)  

Getting a bunch of NFS errors on this docker as per the below.

Anyone else using NFS shares having the same problem?

SMB Is perfectly fine and there is nothing in my unraid syslog about this that would relate.

libnfs error: NFS: Lookup of /MEDIA failed with NFS3ERR_NOENT(-2)

On 6/22/2018 at 2:25 AM, CHBMB said:
On 6/21/2018 at 9:31 PM, megna22 said:
I'm not sure kodi was ever ment to be run on a server. It is a front end for streaming media. Put kodi or xbmc on all your xboxes and access your server through kodi.

I think you've missed the point of what this does.

You're right I have. So please clue me in. I have the same problem with Plex.

Or to expand further, since Kodi Headless presumably will be running 24-7, all updates of media it handles instead of the client boxes having to do it since they are presumably not on 24-7

On the other hand, if you have a kodi box / computer that is on 24-7, then kodi-headless is pointless as you can have the 24-7 box handle the updates instead.

13 hours ago, Squid said:

Or to expand further, since Kodi Headless presumably will be running 24-7, all updates of media it handles instead of the client boxes having to do it since they are presumably not on 24-7

On the other hand, if you have a kodi box / computer that is on 24-7, then kodi-headless is pointless as you can have the 24-7 box handle the updates instead.

Why doesn't someone adapt a app like Media center master to a unraid this would do the same thing not just kodi but for all the other platforms as well I would love this I run kodi,Plex, and WD live on boxes in my house and MCM does media data for all of these platform s.

Why doesn't someone adapt a app like Media center master to a unraid this would do the same thing not just kodi but for all the other platforms as well I would love this I run kodi,Plex, and WD live on boxes in my house and MCM does media data for all of these platform s.
Personally I think the days of apps like that are numbered. Most front-end apps like Kodi/Plex/Emby do a pretty good job of scraping what is needed without the need for a further external dependency imho.

The idea behind this container is you can run a database on your Unraid server that keeps all your Kodi instances in sync as they all use the central database rather than each individual Kodi instance having it's own database.
On 6/24/2018 at 2:31 PM, CHBMB said:

Personally I think the days of apps like that are numbered. Most front-end apps like Kodi/Plex/Emby do a pretty good job of scraping what is needed without the need for a further external dependency imho.

The idea behind this container is you can run a database on your Unraid server that keeps all your Kodi instances in sync as they all use the central database rather than each individual Kodi instance having it's own database.

I do that now only I do it for not only kodi but Plex and WD live as I run these on different boxes around my house only difference is I use MCM on a network connected computer running Windows.

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2018 at 6:48 PM, lostincable said:

Just reposting this.

Has anyone seen this error my log is full of it, switching to SMB it obviously works fine but with NFS shares setup it doesn't work.

libnfs error: NFS: Lookup of /TV/SHOWNAME/.nomedia failed with NFS3ERR_NOENT(-2)

Any help appreciated?

NFS3ERR_NOENT - No such file or directory. The file or directory name specified does not exist.

so either the dir doesnt exist but is in your db (issue clean library) or it does exist but lacks permission to get to the file...

Hi,

I finally decided to get this all setup again.  I did it 5+ years ago (atleast the mysql part).  I had forgotten the little knowledge of unraid I possessed.

I think I have everything pretty much setup.  I have a couple of issues/questions.  Thanks for the help.

I setup mariadb. I setup kodi-headless

On my Shield TV, I ran the database searches for TV and Movies.

I copied over the advancedsettings.xml and sources from the Shield TV to the kodi-headless userdata directory.  Is that correct?

Can I also copy over favorites and addons?  Will my FireTV pick those up from there?

I then copied over the 2 xml files to my Fire TV.  

On the fire TV it shows the Names of the TV and Movies in the library, but it says they do not exist, and there are no pictures.

Any idea of what I missed?

Also, could someone clarify how kodi-headless works? I couldn't find this information.  So, Kodi connects to the SQL server via the xml settings.  How does kodi headless know about the kodi database?  Is Kodi-headless' function to update the library?  How often is that done?  Anything else it does?

Thanks for answering any of my questions

Oh, one more quick question.  Does Kodi still have a FTP server built in for android?  If so what are the login parameters?  Thanks

Edited by abuzzbuzz
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 6:41 PM, sparklyballs said:

it's still alpha and as such that's a no

beta1 is out already (just blog/public wont be for a day or so). beta2 tag already set in repo.

windows: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/snapshots/windows/win64/kodi-18.0-Leia_beta1-x64.exe

shield/firetv: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/snapshots/android/arm/kodi-18.0-Leia_beta1-armeabi-v7a.apk

osx: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/snapshots/osx/x86_64/kodi-18.0-Leia_beta1-x86_64.dmg

files currently no longer work, beta1 was pulled due to AE being broken. new build being made today...

Edited by zoggy
added some links for non-linux in case others have mixed setup
35 minutes ago, zoggy said:

there's no working headless patch for leia at the moment, beyond alpha 1.