[Support] Linuxserver.io - Kodi-Headless

Hello,

I'm trying to setup kodi-headless-arm64 as DLNA server (on mini server) because minidlna unable to stream 4k movies to sony bravia tv (getting only ~25Mbps).

With normal Kodi install (on linux) with NFS mount I can get all speed I need (movie bitrate ~62Mbit/s). I have 1Gbps network.

I've figured out that easest way to setup kodi headless is to use host network because bridge network does not work even with all necessary port mapping.

But now there is another issue - I see all files on TV but unable to play them. I just get "Cannot play video" error. But I can play from android smartphone.

Smart TV can play movies over DLNA from another Kodi (installed on PC with linux) and from server when miniDLNA app is running but unable to play from kodi-headless.

Do anyone have any suggestions where to look on this issue?

2 hours ago, tradio said:

Hello,

I'm trying to setup kodi-headless-arm64 as DLNA server (on mini server) because minidlna unable to stream 4k movies to sony bravia tv (getting only ~25Mbps).

With normal Kodi install (on linux) with NFS mount I can get all speed I need (movie bitrate ~62Mbit/s). I have 1Gbps network.

I've figured out that easest way to setup kodi headless is to use host network because bridge network does not work even with all necessary port mapping.

But now there is another issue - I see all files on TV but unable to play them. I just get "Cannot play video" error. But I can play from android smartphone.

Smart TV can play movies over DLNA from another Kodi (installed on PC with linux) and from server when miniDLNA app is running but unable to play from kodi-headless.

Do anyone have any suggestions where to look on this issue?

This support thread is only for users that run unraid. As you are trying to use the kodi-headless-arm64 image, please submit an issue to the github repo or pop over to our discord. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Ive got an issue that i cant resolve, hopefully you guys can tell me what dumb thing i did/did not do.

I have a handful of kodi boxes up and running pointing at a SQL database. I decided to setup this headless container to handle library updates but im running into an issue. All i did was setup the advancedsettings to point at the database then point sonarr at it but it doesnt update the library. In the kodi log file it says:

17:58:37.621 T:22745948530432 WARNING: Process directory 'smb://ip/folder/name of show' does not exist - skipping scan.

These folders all exist but kodi headless doesnt appear to be able to see them.  What can i do to get this up and running?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 2:20 PM, richardsim7 said:

Possibly a dumb question, but how do I install add-ons to this? Specifically 'Library Auto Update'

I would love to know the answer to this as well.  Is this possible?  I currently have a client permanently running that is set with the auto update plugin to update every couple of hours.

Edited by PureLoneWolf
extra info
13 minutes ago, PureLoneWolf said:

I would love to know the answer to this as well.  Is this possible?  I currently have a client permanently running that is set with the auto update plugin to update every couple of hours.

It's not possible to easily add plugins to this.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:52 PM, PureLoneWolf said:

Assuming you just want to have kodi run an update on a schedule. You can do that with cron and curl I think it was. Just look up how to update kodi via cmd line.

Here it is

put that in user scripts and run it as frequently as you want

Edited by bnevets27
  • 2 months later...

I have installed this on my unRaid server. My only application for this kodi instance is to be able to rip audio cds when I pop it in just like regular Kodi does.

I reckoned that I can make changes in guisettings.xml in the following section as below and it should do the trick but somehow its not ripping discs. I have the same settings on another regular kodi box and I use that to rip cds. Can anyone help?

<audiocds>
        <autoaction>2</autoaction>
        <ejectonrip default="true">true</ejectonrip>
        <encoder>audioencoder.flac</encoder>
        <recordingpath>/var/media/Data/Music/Ripped Music/</recordingpath>
        <trackpathformat default="true">%A/%A - %B/[%N. ][%A - ]%T</trackpathformat>
        <usecddb default="true">true</usecddb>
    </audiocds>

3 hours ago, extremeaudio said:

I have installed this on my unRaid server. My only application for this kodi instance is to be able to rip audio cds when I pop it in just like regular Kodi does.

I reckoned that I can make changes in guisettings.xml in the following section as below and it should do the trick but somehow its not ripping discs. I have the same settings on another regular kodi box and I use that to rip cds. Can anyone help?

<audiocds>
        <autoaction>2</autoaction>
        <ejectonrip default="true">true</ejectonrip>
        <encoder>audioencoder.flac</encoder>
        <recordingpath>/var/media/Data/Music/Ripped Music/</recordingpath>
        <trackpathformat default="true">%A/%A - %B/[%N. ][%A - ]%T</trackpathformat>
        <usecddb default="true">true</usecddb>
    </audiocds>

This is meant to be used to update a central kodi database, so ripping cds is not something we support. 

But did you pass through the cdrom to the container? 

• Like 1

Has there been any progress on a version that works with Leia?

I see a tag was added but it doesn't start.

EDIT:

Today I checked again and the tag showed it was updated a day ago.  I deleted and re-added the docker image and it now loads up.

I guess it was updated since I tried it last.  It now seems to work.  I'll post any issues I find.

thanks

Edited by surge919
  • 2 weeks later...

@sparklyballs

I've seen your posts on the Kodi forums.

I'm looking for some advice how to get a full kodi stripped down to a headless version.

I'm running an Armbian Stretch (Debian) Image on a BananaPi M2 Berry.

There is a Kodi available in the repository that I could install right away.

My intention is to run a headless Kodi for the DB and since resources on the BananaPi are limited, I would like to remove the overhead. Is it possible? Where should I start?

Edited by Fireball3
6 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

@sparklyballs

I've seen your posts on the Kodi forums.

I'm looking for some advice how to get a full kodi stripped down to a headless version.

I'm running an Armbian Stretch (Debian) Image on a BananaPi M2 Berry.

There is a Kodi available in the repository that I could install right away.

My intention is to run a headless Kodi for the DB and since resources on the BananaPi are limited, I would like to remove the overhead. Is it possible? Where should I start?

Why not run the container on your banana? 

44 minutes ago, Fireball3 said:

Haven't thought about that tbh.

Need to check how to set up the docker environment or whatever is needed.

Will the banana be able to pull the docker, resource wise?

I don't know anything about your 🍌, but go to docker.com and follow the install guide there and see if arm is mentioned. 

• 3 weeks later...

Edit:

Ignore it, I used the wrong container. (x86 instead of the arm) 🤡

Now the container is running and the log shows this:

Warning: MHD_USE_THREAD_PER_CONNECTION must be used only with MHD_USE_INTERNAL_POLLING_THREAD. Flag MHD_USE_INTERNAL_POLLING_THREAD was added. Consider setting MHD_USE_INTERNAL_POLLING_THREAD explicitly.

Any advice where to set that flag explicitely?

Finally found some time to read through the docker guides and managed to pull the kodi-headless from linuxserverio.

This is what I get when trying to start the docker.

root@bananapim2:/opt/appdata/kodi# docker start kodi-headless
kodi-headless
root@bananapim2:/opt/appdata/kodi# docker logs kodi-headless
standard_init_linux.go:207: exec user process caused "exec format error"
standard_init_linux.go:207: exec user process caused "exec format error"

The inspect output is attached.

Need help with this.

Edited by Fireball3