[Support] Linuxserver.io - Kodi-Headless

hi, may i ask if someone has a working trakt solution for this kodi instance ?, so far i guess i have all running besides trakt, or is not possible anymore ?
I just keep using trakt on the clients themselves. Even if you couod install the add on in the headless server, doubt you would be able to configure it.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, mkono87 said:

I just keep using trakt on the clients themselves. Even if you couod install the add on in the headless server, doubt you would be able to configure it.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

looks actually as the only solution, it is configured by the same mashine i configured the libs etc, but thanks, just thought lets make it simple with 1 trakt running ;) and not all individual clients.

Thoughts here? I've upgrade from Kypton to Leia and cannot reliably get the kodi headless to update the db via json rpc VideoLibrary.scan method anymore. I have the advancedsettings.xml that was posted earlier in this thread and a passwords.xml that has credential information for the smb path/username/password. From what I remember the initial sources were configure with another client and then subsequent updates commands would work with this headless docker, it no longer works.

I just setup all my other clients to Leia and noticed that I had to change the smb max version to v3 to get them to access unRAID smb shares. Like so:

<setting id="smb.maxprotocol">3</setting>
    <setting id="smb.minprotocol" default="true">0</setting>

Of course this was done via the GUI.

Not sure if this has to be on this headless as well. I know it's in guisettings.xml but every time I try to change to the above on headless it reverts back to:

<setting id="smb.maxprotocol" default="true">3</setting>
    <setting id="smb.minprotocol" default="true">0</setting>

Even if I stop the docker, edit and restart. Odd...

Edited by joelones

Trying this docker out again.

I had stopped because Leia support didnt come in a timely manner and I just used a firetv on the side to get by.

Updated my docker from :Krypton to :Leia and noticed that it was only showing 18.3 :/

Dug through github and found out that only the 'master' branch got updated to 18.5 (also looks like no one has been maintaining this docker?)

Updated docker to just use master branch and now I see its showing 18.5 now.

I see that its not able to scrape for new content however it fails to even curl to get the login token:

2020-01-21 20:31:13.916 T:22602176238592  NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
2020-01-21 20:31:13.916 T:22602176238592  NOTICE: Starting Kodi (18.5 Git:20200109-nogitfound). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
2020-01-21 20:31:13.916 T:22602176238592  NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x64 build
2020-01-21 20:31:13.916 T:22602176238592  NOTICE: Kodi compiled 2020-01-09 by GCC 7.4.0 for Linux x86 64-bit version 4.15.18 (266002)
2020-01-21 20:31:13.916 T:22602176238592  NOTICE: Running on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 4.19.56-Unraid
2020-01-22 02:31:13.937 T:22602176238592  NOTICE: ADDON: metadata.tvdb.com v3.2.3 installed
2020-01-22 04:05:42.202 T:22601646622464   DEBUG: GetEpisodeList: Searching 'https://api.thetvdb.com/login?{"apikey":"439DFEBA9D3059C6","id":281511}|Content-Type=application/json' using The TVDB scraper (file: '/config/.kodi/addons/metadata.tvdb.com', content: 'tvshows', version: '3.2.3')
2020-01-22 04:05:42.207 T:22601646622464   DEBUG: CurlFile::ParseAndCorrectUrl() adding custom header option 'Content-Type: application/json'
2020-01-22 04:05:42.207 T:22601646622464   DEBUG: CurlFile::Open(0x148e3818ca60) https://api.thetvdb.com/login
2020-01-22 04:05:42.486 T:22601731766016 WARNING: CActiveAE::StateMachine - signal: 22 from port: timer not handled for state: 1
2020-01-22 04:06:07.523 T:22601646622464 WARNING: Previous line repeats 25 times.
2020-01-22 04:06:07.523 T:22601646622464   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Timeout was reached(28)
2020-01-22 04:06:07.523 T:22601646622464   ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for https://api.thetvdb.com/login:
2020-01-22 04:06:07.523 T:22601646622464   ERROR: Run: Unable to parse web site
2020-01-22 04:06:07.523 T:22601646622464 WARNING: No information found for item 'smb://husky/TV/TV/Black-ish/Season 06/', it won't be added to the library.

Currently we have no maintainer for this container. It's a babysitting job to build this container and it's a hack as kodi is not meant to be used headless.

I would advise to not use kodi headless. I would suggest either emby or plex as backend. I'm not sure if jellyfin have good enough clients/plugins available yet to be a choice.

found this docker last night: https://hub.docker.com/r/celedhrim/kodi-server

he used to be one of the guys that did the kodi-headless patch.  

he complained about how it wasnt fun to maintain the patch and that the increasing build times was exceeding the allowed time on dockerhub which was causing its own problems.  he switched to doing fake Xorg ( with XPRA) and pulseaudio ( kodi complain is no sound card/daemon)

no more patch to maintain, uses kodi ppa ubuntu image, which is much faster to build. but does result in more cpu/memory (as it has to waste cycles to do the full interface) and does rely on the ppa images (which only matters if kodi removed old images and you wanted to build an older version)

so far its working just fine for me.

sonarr talks to it and I see it updates everything as a normal linux box.

to set it up I just installed the docker via CA docker (search for: kodi-server)

since I wanted to get latest leia: celedhrim/kodi-server:leia

added path 'data' and set it to my old kodi-headless dir: /mnt/cache/appdata/.kodi

added 'port': 8089 (he exposes this one instead of the default 8080 --- so update advancedsettings webserver port to 8089 (or change mapping))

added 'port': 9090 (so websocket to the docker works)

Edited by zoggy
added port for websocket and removed edit note
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, zoggy said:

he complained about how it wasnt fun to maintain the patch and that the increasing build times was exceeding the allowed time on dockerhub which was causing its own problems.  he switched to doing fake Xorg ( with XPRA) and pulseaudio ( kodi complain is no sound card/daemon)

no more patch to maintain, uses kodi ppa ubuntu image, which is much faster to build. but does result in more cpu/memory (as it has to waste cycles to do the full interface) and does rely on the ppa images (which only matters if kodi removed old images and you wanted to build an older version)

to set it up I just installed the docker via CA docker (search for: kodi-server)

I just added path 'data' and set it to my old kodi-headless dir: /mnt/cache/appdata/.kodi

then added 'port': 8089 (he exposes this one instead of the default 8080 --- so update advancedsettings webserver port to 8089)

as a side note, if you need to use vim briefly, in either of these dockers its easist if you just install vim-tiny (vim with almost no features enabled, which reduces whats needed to install)

example for kodi-headless:

docker exec -it kodi-headless /bin/bash
apt-get install vim-tiny
alias vim=/usr/bin/vim.tiny

thanks for this tipp, may as note for others, doesnt work empty, need advanced etc so docker can start properly

and cpu cycles ... each minute high usage while idle, i guess die the video/audio hacks ... also when hitting play in webui, 100% cpu and NOT returning besides restart docker, no real life scenario, just as note

but trakt is working in there as note ;)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 10:11 AM, zoggy said:

added path 'data' and set it to my old kodi-headless dir: /mnt/cache/appdata/.kodi

added 'port': 8089 (he exposes this one instead of the default 8080 --- so update advancedsettings webserver port to 8089 (or change mapping))

Thank you ... installed and working... 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue as mentioned below. I setup a headless kodi to update the mariaDB which previously has been working fine from a ShieldTV and LibreElec NUC. The shares are approached via NFS and I see them in headless KODI UI but nothing updates. Also have some warnings about old directories not available in the log and the update finishes in two seconds.

Could you guys maybe provide any hints in what could be the solution you used?

Much appreciated.

On 9/28/2019 at 4:24 AM, mkono87 said:

So i finally nuked everything and started over and got it working. My only problem is trying to set it up in a way for different watch statuses for each of the 2 people in my house. I myself, use 3 clients and the other uses 2. I checked the kodi docs over and over and tried to get it working with the <name> tag but its just not working properly. Im starting to think maybe just having two kodi-headless instances would make this much simpler? Does anyone do this? Is it possible to change the 9077 port as well?

On 9/26/2019 at 5:12 AM, mkono87 said:

Ya, I just cant get it to update the library consistently. I have setup radarr/sonarr to trigger update and clean and even though the logs show its scanning, nothing gets added. But it works when using a windows kodi client. This is very odd.  Logs shows this

2019-09-26 03:00:30.422 T:23410259937024  NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..
2019-09-26 03:00:30.487 T:23410310465280 WARNING: CActiveAE::StateMachine - signal: 22 from port: timer not handled for state: 1
2019-09-26 03:00:36.104 T:23410259937024 WARNING: Previous line repeats 5 times.
2019-09-26 03:00:36.104 T:23410259937024 WARNING: Process directory 'nfs://192.168.0.50/mnt/user/media/Tv Shows/Mike/' does not exist - skipping scan.
2019-09-26 03:00:36.105 T:23410259937024 WARNING: Process directory 'nfs://192.168.0.50/mnt/user/media/Tv Shows/Sandra/' does not exist - skipping scan.
2019-09-26 03:00:36.105 T:23410259937024  NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 00:05
2019-09-26 03:00:36.488 T:23410310465280 WARNING: CActiveAE::StateMachine - signal: 22 from port: timer not handled for state: 1
2019-09-26 03:02:07.925 T:23410755302400 WARNING: Previous line repeats 91 times.
2019-09-26 03:02:07.925 T:23410755302400  NOTICE: NFS is idle. Closing the remaining connections.
2019-09-26 03:02:08.503 T:23410310465280 WARNING: CActiveAE::StateMachine - signal: 22 from port: timer not handled for state: 1

Those two folder paths I deleted and need to get rid of them in the db eventually.

Edited by eXTriC
typo
  • 1 month later...
On 1/22/2020 at 9:39 PM, saarg said:

Currently we have no maintainer for this container. It's a babysitting job to build this container and it's a hack as kodi is not meant to be used headless.

I would advise to not use kodi headless. I would suggest either emby or plex as backend. I'm not sure if jellyfin have good enough clients/plugins available yet to be a choice.

Just noticed this post.  IF LS don't think this container will continue to be maintained many better start looking at moving over to another centralised solution.  Can we have some clear direction?  This container has been central to everything I have to the point it kept me with Unraid as my home server solution.  It would be a shame to see it go but life moves on I guess.

I started playing with Jellyfin over the weekend.  Got it running with Kodi but it's nowhere near as instant and snappy as Kodi with a SQL backend.  I guess I could just keep the SQL backend and use one of the clients to do the updating.

6 hours ago, dalben said:

Just noticed this post.  IF LS don't think this container will continue to be maintained many better start looking at moving over to another centralised solution.  Can we have some clear direction?  This container has been central to everything I have to the point it kept me with Unraid as my home server solution.  It would be a shame to see it go but life moves on I guess.

I started playing with Jellyfin over the weekend.  Got it running with Kodi but it's nowhere near as instant and snappy as Kodi with a SQL backend.  I guess I could just keep the SQL backend and use one of the clients to do the updating.

It's still maintained, so no worries for the future.

But I would reccomend switching to emby/jellyfin as the backend. Much easier setup and it's not a hack. And you also get the plugins for Kodi to integrate the library.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, saarg said:

It's still maintained, so no worries for the future.

But I would reccomend switching to emby/jellyfin as the backend. Much easier setup and it's not a hack. And you also get the plugins for Kodi to integrate the library.

Cool, good to know.  I have started playing with Jellyfin but it's not working as smoothly as I had hoped, but that could be my issue so I'll keep plugging away,

Off topic, but surprised the Kodi guys gave up on a headless instance to manage a centralised SQL DB.  I think they still consider a SQL DB as "experimental"

On 3/11/2020 at 6:05 AM, eXTriC said:

I have the exact same issue as mentioned below. I setup a headless kodi to update the mariaDB which previously has been working fine from a ShieldTV and LibreElec NUC. The shares are approached via NFS and I see them in headless KODI UI but nothing updates. Also have some warnings about old directories not available in the log and the update finishes in two seconds.

Could you guys maybe provide any hints in what could be the solution you used?

Much appreciated.

i copied the ls kodi docker and added a cronjob script to automatically update the library every night regardless of radarr/sonarr.

6 hours ago, dalben said:

Cool, good to know.  I have started playing with Jellyfin but it's not working as smoothly as I had hoped, but that could be my issue so I'll keep plugging away,

Off topic, but surprised the Kodi guys gave up on a headless instance to manage a centralised SQL DB.  I think they still consider a SQL DB as "experimental"

I don't think they have tried to go headless at all. Headless have been hacks from the start I think.

I would go emby until jellfish is stable enough. If you only use the emby for kodi plugin you don't need premium. Well, maybe if you want hardware acceleration.

11 hours ago, saarg said:

I don't think they have tried to go headless at all. Headless have been hacks from the start I think.

I would go emby until jellfish is stable enough. If you only use the emby for kodi plugin you don't need premium. Well, maybe if you want hardware acceleration.

They did have headless/SQL backend as a student type hackathon topic at one stage but never eventuated.

Will try Emby to see if there is much difference but Jellyfin seems the more admirable platform with the right intent so I wanted to give that a shot first

• 2 months later...

I have tried this headless kodi time to time, its so close to working but no cigar.  I finally setup a VM with xubuntu and loaded kodi on top of that.  its very clunky to setup and use via the virtual console - but it works to update my mariadb on a regular schedule.

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, zoggy said:

Trying to get this solution to work, but im a total noob so doing something wrong. I have not added a 'data' path, do I need to?

I have managed to get and install the docker image adding port 8089 and 9090, copied over my advancedsettings.xml to the following path

docker cp /mnt/user/upload/advancedsettings.xml b393c2965ef9:/usr/share/kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

only getting connection refused trying to connect to the server on port 8089, also tried copying the file to another path but then the docker wont start anymore

docker cp /mnt/user/upload/advancedsettings.xml b393c2965ef9:/usr/share/kodi/portable_data/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

My advancedsettings.xml looks like this

<advancedsettings>
  <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.168.0.250</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>kodi</user>
    <pass>kodi</pass>
  </videodatabase> 
  <musicdatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>kodi</user>
    <pass>kodi</pass>
  </musicdatabase>
  <videolibrary>
    <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
    <importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
  </videolibrary>
  <services>
    <esallinterfaces>true</esallinterfaces>
    <webserver>true</webserver>
    <zeroconf>true</zeroconf>
    <port>8089</port>
   </services>
</advancedsettings>

Also should the docker be running in bridged or host mode? I have tried both but not working in either.

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 1:43 PM, tjohansson said:

Trying to get this solution to work, but im a total noob so doing something wrong. I have not added a 'data' path, do I need to?

I have managed to get and install the docker image adding port 8089 and 9090, copied over my advancedsettings.xml to the following path

docker cp /mnt/user/upload/advancedsettings.xml b393c2965ef9:/usr/share/kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

only getting connection refused trying to connect to the server on port 8089, also tried copying the file to another path but then the docker wont start anymore

docker cp /mnt/user/upload/advancedsettings.xml b393c2965ef9:/usr/share/kodi/portable_data/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

My advancedsettings.xml looks like this

<advancedsettings>
  <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>kodi</user>
    <pass>kodi</pass>
  </videodatabase> 
  <musicdatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>kodi</user>
    <pass>kodi</pass>
  </musicdatabase>
  <videolibrary>
    <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
    <importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
  </videolibrary>
  <services>
    <esallinterfaces>true</esallinterfaces>
    <webserver>true</webserver>
    <zeroconf>true</zeroconf>
    <port>8089</port>
   </services>
</advancedsettings>

Also should the docker be running in bridged or host mode? I have tried both but not working in either.

I do bridge as i want stuff isolated and there are minimal ports i need to access.

BTW you do need to have a mysql/mariadb docker so kodi can store data.

For the kodi-headless docker, these are my settings (advanced view):

firefox_2020-11-20_00-09-27.png

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to get the LSIO headless docker instance to update via Sonarr callbacks? I've tried running the curl command, and testing Sonarr but the library never gets updated. I saw a note...somewhere...that said something didn't work with Leia. Was that the curl commands? If I'm watching the debug logs, I can see the command get accepted, and cleaning the library seems to work as it says it takes 5 seconds, but outside of that there's nothing.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Grzywa said:

It does not seem that it is. Release is few verions behing current Kodi. Last comment/issue is from mach (almost a year ago) and last commit is from over a year ago. 

That's why I asked this question. Maybe I'm missing something ? 😕

Doesn't look like you read it all. Do you see the issues closed at the bottom?

Is there anything you need in the newer releases that affect the headless function?