[Support] Linuxserver.io - Kodi-Headless

I've been noticing this on the kodi log from the Unraid Docker container page.

Mar 22 17:17:01 1b70d5ca1352 /USR/SBIN/CRON[12351]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

It looks like that runs every hour and when it finds a movie or show then I get the following.

tdb(__NULL__): tdb_open_ex: called with name == NULL

Then it repeats hourly until it finds a new movie or show.

Also I'm hoping you guys can add the dateutil module that trakt.tv needs per this post.  Thanks!

Just installed kodi-headless, so far everything appears to be working as it should. Just wanted to note that I also see  the same entries in my docker log:

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/40_update.sh...
--2016-04-06 17:29:37--  https://files.linuxserver.io/kodi/LATEST16
Resolving files.linuxserver.io (files.linuxserver.io)... 104.18.61.43, 104.18.60.43
Connecting to files.linuxserver.io (files.linuxserver.io)|104.18.61.43|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 37
Saving to: ‘/tmp/LATEST’

0K                                                       100% 11.9M=0s

2016-04-06 17:29:38 (11.9 MB/s) - ‘/tmp/LATEST’ saved [37/37]

No Update Required
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/999_advanced_script.sh...
*** Running /etc/rc.local...
*** Booting runit daemon...
*** Runit started as PID 61
Apr  6 17:29:38 bbc212c21def syslog-ng[70]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'
Apr  6 18:17:01 bbc212c21def /USR/SBIN/CRON[239]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Apr  6 19:17:01 bbc212c21def /USR/SBIN/CRON[388]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Apr  6 20:17:01 bbc212c21def /USR/SBIN/CRON[529]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Apr  6 21:17:01 bbc212c21def /USR/SBIN/CRON[685]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

Greetings,

I had used a kodi headless install before on my unraid v5 and have a few questions now that I have gone to the 6.1.9.

1) What size container would be ideal? Since my kodi client now has 10gbs in the appdata/roaming folder and is still growing would setting a 25gb container be suggested?

2) On my old install of kodi headless, I triggered an auto update every x hours with cleaning by , first installing that addon on my client and then copying it over to the kodi headless install. Worked good, can this also be done on this headless install? For that matter can any addon be done this way?

3) Which is preferred for this docker, MySQL or MariaDB? Also as like question 1 , what would be a good docker size?

Thanks

warning to those that update kodi from windows and/or linux:

I already had a kodi w/sql setup:

firetv w/kodi (bedroom)

htpc (win7) running kodi, mysql, where normally I updated everything from.

nas (unraid), where the content lives.

so before kodi-headless, I would have to update kodi on startup since normally i do not leave kodi running..  thus, putting kodi on the nas (where the content lives) means it should be able to update faster and is always running..

so getting kodi-headless going was pretty simple.. just install and copy over my sources.xml / advancedsettings.xml (use provided, updated relevant info -- I enabled debug logging though)  / etc

everything work, see it picking up new content without any issues...

now one inefficiency that has came to light is the difference when kodi updates the library on a windows box vs doing it on a linux box due to the way it builds its hash.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/Jarvis/xbmc/video/VideoInfoScanner.h#L195

due to the differences on stat(), it means that the hash values computed are different on windows than they are on linux. which means if the same os updates the library its quick due to hash matching. if its done by the opposite os than the hash was created on, it results in a hash difference which then means a re-scan is in order.. which can result in the whole library being re-scanned.. example:

22:10:06 T:4860   DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Rescanning dir 'smb://husky/TV/TV/Arrow/' due to change (1E4DB81B2D859EACB79E29ABE8D27BD8 != 6FB9D4F50C64535E2F30E7E509309322)

Hi Guys,

I'm using Kodi Headless on Unraid with multiple Kodi/OpenELEC boxes, all running Kodi 15. As such, I used the Environmental Variable (Version: 15) to make my headless Kodi match the version...

However, whenever the headless Kodi scans in new content, the thumbnails appear to be corrupt/empty for all my clients, including the webGUI for Kodi Headless. If I refresh the content via any other client, the problem is solved...

What am I missing?

*Nevermind! Figured it out! Just setup a dummy kodi client and make sure not to install any extras, just barebone kodi. Copy the kodi config files from headless over to the dummy machines appdata location for kodi. Launch Kodi and install and configure the addon you need (in this case, I needed Trakt and Watchdog). Once you are done. Stop Kodi Headless, and put all the files back*

Does anyone have trakt functioning. I followed the instructions for dateutil from the thread linked above and I copied over the plugin. I think my issue is that the folder structure on Kodi headless is a bit different from the client folder structure. For example, the folder structure for kodi headless seems to be based off of the folders that are under /appdata/roaming/kodi instead of /program files/kodi.

How exactly should we go about manually loading plugins to headless?

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree in the sense that the db schema didnt change. However, if there are changes to stability due to the way that the headless install lacks audio/certain things.. that would beneficial? I've had the headless instance throw errors/segfault a few times now... not sure if 16.1 would solve them however. Looking through, I don't see that this time the bump includes any fixes on how it puts data into the db (how it scans / how it calculates any meta info) so this is probably a minor one to worry about for the purpose of kodi-headless.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have a race condition where kodi-headless fires up before mariaDB.  Both are lio dockers.  Anyone else have this error ?

Great timing, I came here to ask the very same question.

I'm currently using needo's mariadb container, which doesn't do any updates during start up so it always starts before kodi.

I was thinking about switching to lsio's mariadb but wasn't sure if it would always start before kodi. Perhaps kodi can have a delay timer?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've read through the entire thread, and have done some searching as well and am unsure how to get Kodi up and working correctly.  I have installed Kodi and mariaDB, but I don't know where to begin after that.  I have used Plex for a long time, so I am used to having a UI to manage things, but I am fine with setting Kodi up from a command line, there just doesn't seem to be a guide I can follow.

Does one exist?  I would love to take advantage of some of the benefits that Kodi has over Plex for local viewing, but I am at a loss where to begin.  I'm not looking for someone to do it for me, but if there is a getting started guide that applies to Kodi headless on unRAID, that would be really helpful.

TIA!

Hi All,

I've read through the entire thread, and have done some searching as well and am unsure how to get Kodi up and working correctly.  I have installed Kodi and mariaDB, but I don't know where to begin after that.  I have used Plex for a long time, so I am used to having a UI to manage things, but I am fine with setting Kodi up from a command line, there just doesn't seem to be a guide I can follow.

Does one exist?  I would love to take advantage of some of the benefits that Kodi has over Plex for local viewing, but I am at a loss where to begin.  I'm not looking for someone to do it for me, but if there is a getting started guide that applies to Kodi headless on unRAID, that would be really helpful.

TIA!

In a nutshell:

Set up a HTPC to work with and interface with MySQL / MariaDB properly (eg: set up advancedsettings.xml)

The copy from the HTPC to the appdata/kodi/userdata for this app the following files:

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

Then modify the advancedsettings.xml included with this app appropriately

Point CP / Sonarr to talk to this app.

Done

NB:  When setting up your HTPC, make sure that you use the default scraper with Kodi, otherwise this app will not be able to scrape the files correctly

Hi All,

TIA!

In a nutshell:

Set up a HTPC to work with and interface with MySQL / MariaDB properly (eg: set up advancedsettings.xml)

The copy from the HTPC to the appdata/kodi/userdata for this app the following files:

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

Done

NB:  When setting up your HTPC, make sure that you use the default scraper with Kodi, otherwise this app will not be able to scrape the files correctly

So in this case my Mac is my HTPC, would I go to kodi.tv download Jarvis 16.1 for OSX and then modify and copy the following files from OSX to unRAID?

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

If so, that seems pretty straight forward.  I just need to make sure my paths, etc. are correct.

Hi All,

TIA!

In a nutshell:

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

Done

So in this case my Mac is my HTPC, would I go to kodi.tv download Jarvis 16.1 for OSX and then modify and copy the following files from OSX to unRAID?

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

If so, that seems pretty straight forward.  I just need to make sure my paths, etc. are correct.

Yeah, once you verify that kodi works properly on the computer (interfacing and scanning correctly in conjunction with MariaDB/MySQL), then copy those files over, and modify advancedsettings.xml appropriately

Hi All,

TIA!

In a nutshell:

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

Done

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

Yeah, once you verify that kodi works properly on the computer (interfacing and scanning correctly in conjunction with MariaDB/MySQL), then copy those files over, and modify advancedsettings.xml appropriately

Hey Squid,

I appreciate your help on this topic.  I did have one last question if you know the answer.  From what I gather using Kodi headless, the primary benefit is just having all of the metadata stored on unRAID, would that be correct?  The primary reason why I wanted to set up Kodi was to use some of the addons such as acestream that aren't available on Plex, and won't run on a Mac without using Wine.  Thanks again!

Hi All,

TIA!

In a nutshell:

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

Done

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

Hey Squid,

I appreciate your help on this topic.  I did have one last question if you know the answer.  From what I gather using Kodi headless, the primary benefit is just having all of the metadata stored on unRAID, would that be correct?  The primary reason why I wanted to set up Kodi was to use some of the addons such as acestream that aren't available on Plex, and won't run on a Mac without using Wine.  Thanks again!

The primary (and only benefit) to running Kodi Headless is so that CP / Sonarr have somewhere to tell to update the library with a new download.  If one of your HTPC's is always on 24-7, then there is zero reason to run Kodi Headless.  But if you turn off / sleep your HTPC's then running Kodi Headless will keep your library up to date.

Hi All,

TIA!

In a nutshell:

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

Done

mediasources.xml

passwords.xml

sources.xml

Hey Squid,

The primary (and only benefit) to running Kodi Headless is so that CP / Sonarr have somewhere to tell to update the library with a new download.  If one of your HTPC's is always on 24-7, then there is zero reason to run Kodi Headless.  But if you turn off / sleep your HTPC's then running Kodi Headless will keep your library up to date.

Ok thank you.  That is what I figured, I appreciate you clearing it up for me. :)

I'll hang tight for a bit longer then.  Between all the improvements in kodi and the fact that LibreElec actually has an alpha releases at the same time as kodi released theirs,  I have a few things to play with now.  Currently with openelec so interested in trying out Libre. 

Also there is a note in the alpha mentioning progress on making kodi headless.  Of course its already possible but sounds like they are making improvements.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I'll hang tight for a bit longer then.  Between all the improvements in kodi and the fact that LibreElec actually has an alpha releases at the same time as kodi released theirs,  I have a few things to play with now.  Currently with openelec so interested in trying out Libre. 

Also there is a note in the alpha mentioning progress on making kodi headless.  Of course its already possible but sounds like they are making improvements.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Honestly, don't bother wasting time with OpenELEC now and make the shift to LibreELEC, development on OE has pretty much ceased.  Pretty painless switch in my experience.

Kodi Headless will make Sparklyballs job easier I would imagine....

• 1 month later...