Server locking up V6 Beta 15

I upgraded a few months ago from V5 to V6, and am currently running beta 15. When I upgraded I was concerned about having old plugins, etc. in various old folders on my flash. I was able to upgrade with my paid version and have been running without issue ever since.

A couple of days ago, I tried accessing the server with a media player with no luck. I went to the machine, it was running, but was not accessible. The monitor connected to it is also connected to a surveillance DVR, and when I tried switching inputs, the monitor just kept going back to the DVR. I did a hard reset and was able to connect via network. I ran a parity check in maintenance mode. The next morning the machine was locked up again. I then pulled the box out of the closet and now have it setup next to me to keep an eye on it and do occasional checks. It seems to be doing parity checks fine, it is accessible with the array started, but last time it locked up, I noticed a message on the monitor about spinning down disks 1 and 2. At that time, there was no response from the keyboard, and all devices had disappeared in the GUI window. I tried refreshing the browser and got "unable to connect." It required a hard reset to restart.

I am not a total beginner, but can't determine from the logs I have been able to pull what the problem might be.

I am getting this error in "plugin file install errors:" Fatal error: Call to undefined function make_link() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(277) : eval()'d code on line 21

I am attaching a file with two logs I was able to pull when the machine was running.

One other thing I have noticed, I use a Mac and have lost connectivity with the shares until I restart the Mac, then I can access the shares again.

Any help? Thoughts?

System: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - F1A75-V PRO

CPU: AMD A4-3400 APU with Radeon HD Graphics @ 2700

Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB

Memory: 8192 MB (max. installable capacity 128 GB)

Network: eth0: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex

Kernel: Linux 3.19.4-unRAID x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.0.1k

Tower_logs.pdf

I have upgraded to 6.0.1 stable release. The server ran fine during the array startup and the parity check completed. This morning when I checked it, I got the same thing. The server is inaccessible via browser, and no response from keyboard input. I performed a hard shutdown via the power switch.

I am attaching a camera shot of the screen.

kernel-panic.JPG.380f3d25f00eaed7b9c68f1a3f67e53c.JPG

As far as plugins, I used to run AirVideo, but removed it since it was no longer supported in V6. I also ran a cron job that kept the folder structure alive for access without spinning up the drives. Currently on the "installed plugins" area I have Community Application V. 2015.08.23 - Dynamix webGui v. 2015.06.26 - and of course unRAID Server OS v. 6.0.1

Dockers and VM's: no, however I had added a docker container, but never got around to doing anything with it.

I removed everything else and was able to delete an old plugin to get rid of an error. So it is pretty much clean EXCEPT my flash drive is the same that I have used since OS version 4(.7?) and has a LOT of old stuff just lying around. I am willing to pretty much start over, I am just unsure of what I need to do to build a fresh installation, but keep my paid version, plus all the drive configurations.

I am attaching the requested diagnostics file.

tower-diagnostics-20150827-0924.zip

As far as plugins, I used to run AirVideo, but removed it since it was no longer supported in V6. I also ran a cron job that kept the folder structure alive for access without spinning up the drives. Currently on the "installed plugins" area I have Community Application V. 2015.08.23 - Dynamix webGui v. 2015.06.26 - and of course unRAID Server OS v. 6.0.1

Dockers and VM's: no, however I had added a docker container, but never got around to doing anything with it.

I removed everything else and was able to delete an old plugin to get rid of an error. So it is pretty much clean EXCEPT my flash drive is the same that I have used since OS version 4(.7?) and has a LOT of old stuff just lying around. I am willing to pretty much start over, I am just unsure of what I need to do to build a fresh installation, but keep my paid version, plus all the drive configurations.

I am attaching the requested diagnostics file.

You should clean out this stuff:
Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: Installing /boot/extra packages

and

Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: Installing system plugins
Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: plugin: installing: /boot/plugins/webGui-latest.plg
Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: 
Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): /boot/plugins/webGui-latest.plg:1: parser error : Document is empty in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 193
Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file():  in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 193
Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): ^ in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 193
Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): /boot/plugins/webGui-latest.plg:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 193
Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file():  in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 193
Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): ^ in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 193
Aug 27 09:22:19 Tower logger: plugin: xml parse error

The 1st thing I copied from your syslog was referring to the extra folder on your flash. unRAID will automatically install any packages it finds there.

The 2nd thing I copied from your syslog was referring to the plugins (not config/plugins) folder on your flash. unRAID will automatically install any plugins it finds there, though in this case it looks like it failed probably because the dependencies can't be downloaded anymore.

There is also this

Aug 27 09:22:16 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

but since there are no other filesystem errors reported for your flash its probably a false alarm. If you want, you can put your flash in your PC and let it checkdisk.

Ran chkdsk on Win machine, no errors found in original flash drive.

I did a fresh install on a separate flash and booted the machine, of course there is no configuration data, and it comes up as trial without my key. Can someone tell me the specific files that I could copy over from my original flash to a new flash?

I appreciate everyone's help. I obviously am not a linux admin.

Ran chkdsk on Win machine, no errors found in original flash drive.

I did a fresh install on a separate flash and booted the machine, of course there is no configuration data, and it comes up as trial without my key. Can someone tell me the specific files that I could copy over from my original flash to a new flash?

I appreciate everyone's help. I obviously am not a linux admin.

See Upgrading to V6 sticky in this subforum

Alrighty. I loaded up a new flash drive following the upgrade instructions. I copied the ident.cfg, network.cfg, and share.cfg files to the new config folder. Note regarding the instructions versus what I have - There is no share subfolder under config. All .cfg files were in /config. There is a shares subfolder which contained all my share names with .cfg so I copied that folder over also.

I booted the machine, and in less than two minutes, I get the lockup dump ending with ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

Aaaarrgh!

Thoughts?

I've never used Memtest, but I tried it out today. Ran 2 passes (about 5 hours) with no errors.

So, now I have a fresh flash drive with 6.0.1 clean install with replacement Plus key. Last night I started up the system, did a parity check overnight. This morning the system was locked up in the browser. There was a different dump message on the monitor (should have written it down but did not), but one different thing was when I hit the Enter key the screen rolled up one line, and the cursor was blank. Every hit of the enter key brought the same result, so something was not locked up.

Today I turned on notifications and found a command timeout on my oldest drive, a 2Tb Seagate. I did a short smart test which passed. I also replaced the HDD cable because I found a reference to faulty cables causing command timeouts. I just fired the machine up, it ran for 30 minutes and got another kernel panic dump:

---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

Are there any other signs to look for or tests to run? Any ideas? CPU, M/B? I can't imagine it is software at this point. I will probably order a new drive to replace the 2Tb...all my others are 3Tb.

• 2 weeks later...