Which card for 24 drive with SM-X10SL7?

Hey Guys -

What is the new controller card to get these days to use with the SuperMicro X10SL7? I'm going to be building a new unRAID server and I'm doing it from ground up and then putting old server offsite.

Thank you,

your mobo have 14 ports already, so if you add one 8 port card, then 22 in total. are this enough? :)

i have great experience with IBM 1015 flashed to IT mode.. you can get then used from ebay too.

Hey Guys -

What is the new controller card to get these days to use with the SuperMicro X10SL7? I'm going to be building a new unRAID server and I'm doing it from ground up and then putting old server offsite.

Thank you,

If you want literally 24 on the SL7, you might consider a SAS Expander (e.g. Intel RES2SV240). These provide you with ample ports, at the expense of a bit of performance (not sure how noticeable it would be in an unRAID setup). There are some good deals for them on eBay.

I haven't tried it yet on my SL7, though I do plan to (expander already stocked and waiting).

Hey Guys -

Thank you,

If you want literally 24 on the SL7, you might consider a SAS Expander (e.g. Intel RES2SV240). These provide you with ample ports, at the expense of a bit of performance (not sure how noticeable it would be in an unRAID setup). There are some good deals for them on eBay.

I haven't tried it yet on my SL7, though I do plan to (expander already stocked and waiting).

In my experience with my SAS expanders it is about 25%.  So for my drives that start out at 135MB/s and drop to 60MB/s on the inner tracks I should get 100MB/s on the outer tracks.  In actuality I got about 90MB/s on the outer but the inner tracks were still 60MB/s.  90MB/s was what I was use to getting when I ran an array off of the SuperMicro PCI-X card: AOC-SAT2-MV8 which is fine for me.  What does that mean time wise:  If I should be getting parity checks done in 10 hours with just controllers it now takes 13 & 1/3 hours which is fine for me.