OpenELEC VM Template Support

jonp

its a USB infrared receiver that I've been using with kodi for the last 2 years, I've never had an issue with it before this.

Ok, can you try this for me?  Stop the VM.  Edit the XML for the VM (click the VM icon and select Edit XML).  Locate and remove this from the XML:

<controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x7'/>

</controller>

<controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>

<master startport='0'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>

</controller>

Then add this:

<controller type='usb' model='nec-xhci'/>

Click "Update" and try your VM again.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2.  You do need some kind of usb keyboard attached to go through the initial configuration.

I am still baffled by this as I do not have this same issue.  I am able to use the Kore app right away (no USB keyboard needed).  Still trying to figure out why some folks are having this issue.

When openElec first starts it takes you through initial configuration, one step of which is giving it a hostname I seem to recall.  Therefore if you don't press next,next,next on these options it isn't on the network until you do??

2.  You do need some kind of usb keyboard attached to go through the initial configuration.

I am still baffled by this as I do not have this same issue.  I am able to use the Kore app right away (no USB keyboard needed).  Still trying to figure out why some folks are having this issue.

When openElec first starts it takes you through initial configuration, one step of which is giving it a hostname I seem to recall.  Therefore if you don't press next,next,next on these options it isn't on the network until you do??

No.  It defaults to the name of OpenELEC.  You can change it at the welcome screen, but it should be on the network.  Again, I haven't had this issue.

Got another question,

Trying to change the theme tonight, but noticing that this does not seem to work.  Doing some reading, and it seems that this VM template was created as read only.  Is there a way to make it writeable so that I can change the default theme?

Thanks

No, but it should work because we store all that data (including any skins) in the appdata folder.  What skin were you trying to load?  Keep in mind that some skins may not yet be compatible with this version of Kodi (has nothing to do with our VM).  Try Aeon Nox.  I know that one works.

One other thing I noticed (although not probably related to this VM specifically) is that after enabling the network bridge the MAC address of my network card has changed.

This meant all of my devices that used to send WOL packets to the tower to switch it on didn't work until I realised what the issue was and updated them.

No, your MAC address hasn't changed. That's quite literally impossible as its hard coded. What has more likely happened is that you have two Ethernet interfaces and both are plugged in and when this is the case and bonding isn't enabled, a race condition determines which one unRAID uses for network connectivity.  Enable bonding under network settings should resolve this.

Hey Jonp,

I've got an issue similar to SuperW2 on the first page, only it doesn't seem to be an IOMMU group conflict, but a permission issue. Take a look:

fnrVOAv.png

Just for reference, here's my IOMMU Group list:

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/0/devices/0000:00:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:00:01.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:0b:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:0b:00.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/2/devices/0000:00:05.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/2/devices/0000:0a:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:00:09.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:05:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:05:00.3
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:06:03.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:07:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:07:02.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:08:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:08:00.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/4/devices/0000:00:0f.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:00:10.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:00:10.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:00:10.2
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:00:10.3
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:00:10.4
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/6/devices/0000:00:11.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/7/devices/0000:00:15.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/7/devices/0000:00:15.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/8/devices/0000:00:16.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/8/devices/0000:00:16.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1c.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1c.2
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1c.3
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:02:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:03:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/10/devices/0000:00:1d.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/10/devices/0000:00:1d.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/10/devices/0000:00:1d.7
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/11/devices/0000:00:1e.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/12/devices/0000:00:1f.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/12/devices/0000:00:1f.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/12/devices/0000:00:1f.2
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/12/devices/0000:00:1f.3

I tried relocating the GPU to other PCIe slots, as well as enabling ACS Override, to no avail.

The GPU is an Nvidia GT30. Motherboard is an Asus DSEB-DG/SAS. My next step is to review the BIOS settings, but I'm hoping you can chime in with something.

Might have made some progress...

I edited my syslinux.cfg to include

append intel_iommu=on vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 pcie_acs_override=downstream initrd=/bzroot

as shown below:

default /syslinux/menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot
  append intel_iommu=on vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 pcie_acs_override=downstream initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest
label Xen/unRAID OS
  kernel /syslinux/mboot.c32
  append /xen --- /bzimage --- /bzroot
label Xen/unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /syslinux/mboot.c32
  append /xen --- /bzimage --- /bzroot unraidsafemode

It got the VM up and running, but I just get a blank screen. I also am unable to shut down the VM via the VM Manager. I've attached my system diagnostics for your review. I'll continue troubleshooting tomorrow I suppose.

tower-diagnostics-20150906-0128.zip

What is it exactly?  A special fork of OpenELEC?  A plugin you install on top of OpenELEC. I'm a big Plex fan so I'm intrigued.

Exactly. Its a fork of OpenELEC (3.2.x I believe) that has the current PHT installed on it instead of Kodi. It turns hardware into a plex appliance basically.

Hmm, I will need to talk to Eric. Sounds like a good idea for us to considering that we already have done the bulk of the work in tuning OpenELEC.

What is it exactly?  A special fork of OpenELEC?  A plugin you install on top of OpenELEC. I'm a big Plex fan so I'm intrigued.

Exactly. Its a fork of OpenELEC (3.2.x I believe) that has the current PHT installed on it instead of Kodi. It turns hardware into a plex appliance basically.

Hmm, I will need to talk to Eric. Sounds like a good idea for us to considering that we already have done the bulk of the work in tuning OpenELEC.

It might be as simple as pointing your OE unVM to a different image? I'd try, but don't have a vt-d CPU.

It might be as simple as pointing your OE unVM to a different image? I'd try, but don't have a vt-d CPU.

Probably but we would need to add our customizations to the project you linked me to (such as adding all the virtual drivers).  It probably wouldn't work just using the stock image they provide.

One other thing I noticed (although not probably related to this VM specifically) is that after enabling the network bridge the MAC address of my network card has changed.

This meant all of my devices that used to send WOL packets to the tower to switch it on didn't work until I realised what the issue was and updated them.

No, your MAC address hasn't changed. That's quite literally impossible as its hard coded. What has more likely happened is that you have two Ethernet interfaces and both are plugged in and when this is the case and bonding isn't enabled, a race condition determines which one unRAID uses for network connectivity.  Enable bonding under network settings should resolve this.

Hmm, I do have multiple interfaces but only one is plugged in (the same one I've always used).  In fact the onboard one is disabled via the BIOS, I use an add-in intel card.

I have to admit I did think the mac address was hard coded, but whatever has happened it has changed and I need to use the new one to wake up the server????

I wonder if I have old logs which might show what it was before and after the change... or if I disable the bridge whether it changes again..  will have a play when I get chance.

I'm still scratching my head with the issues mentioned below. I tested some USB passthrough devices on another VM to ensure vt-d is working, and it looks like it is. I am guessing that maybe the syslinux.cfg changes didn't provide the right solution. Any ideas?

edit: Nevermind, based on my discussions in this post, http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42770.msg407518#msg407518, I'm assuming that my issues are hardware related.

I'm still scratching my head with the issues mentioned below. I tested some USB passthrough devices on another VM to ensure vt-d is working, and it looks like it is. I am guessing that maybe the syslinux.cfg changes didn't provide the right solution. Any ideas?

edit: Nevermind, based on my discussions in this post, http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42770.msg407518#msg407518, I'm assuming that my issues are hardware related.

Just an FYI, USB device assignment is not the same as PCI pass through. USB devices should be assignable, even without VT-d.

I've got an HBA in the other slot at the moment, but that's something to consider for the second machine. Assuming that works, why would it be the case? I tried both slots with the Nvidia card alone, and got the same results.

For whatever reason, some folks have seen this happen with certain motherboards / GPUs.  I have not run into this personally myself on any of my test systems but others have consistently reported this issue.

As far as a root cause....your guess is as good as mine at this point.  There is some black voodoo magic in graphics pass through sometimes ;-)