OpenELEC VM Template Support

jonp

Sorry, what I did was follow the instructions here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/88788/oe-install-and-package-status-thread

Essentially, replicate the regular OE install method but use the files from OEPlex instead.

Been playing with PlexOE a little more.  Now I remember an issue that was a deal breaker for me:  hardware acceleration is not working.  My CPUs are getting crushed.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, what I did was follow the instructions here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/88788/oe-install-and-package-status-thread

Essentially, replicate the regular OE install method but use the files from OEPlex instead.

Been playing with PlexOE a little more.  Now I remember an issue that was a deal breaker for me:  hardware acceleration is not working.  My CPUs are getting crushed.

Like vdpau and whatnot?

Like vdpau and whatnot?

Yep.  I think the issue may be specific to AMD GPUs (if I remember correctly) but it has been a while since I did any research.

John

Like vdpau and whatnot?

Yep.  I think the issue may be specific to AMD GPUs (if I remember correctly) but it has been a while since I did any research.

John

Even in our OE VM I had to disable the acceleration for AMD GPUs but NVIDIA works just fine.

Like vdpau and whatnot?

John

Even in our OE VM I had to disable the acceleration for AMD GPUs but NVIDIA works just fine.

Why did you need to disable it when it works out of the box with stock OE?  My manual installs of OE have it enabled and my CPUs happiny sit at ~ 5% - 10% when streaming even the most demanding content.

Like vdpau and whatnot?

John

Why did you need to disable it when it works out of the box with stock OE?  My manual installs of OE have it enabled and my CPUs happiny sit at ~ 5% - 10% when streaming even the most demanding content.

Maybe my particular AMD GPU wasn't nice with it?  Maybe an issue with the OE beta versions?

If I left it on, playback would be like 15fps and that's no good.  Have you tried with our VM template and an AMD GPU yet?

Like vdpau and whatnot?

John

Maybe my particular AMD GPU wasn't nice with it?  Maybe an issue with the OE beta versions?

If I left it on, playback would be like 15fps and that's no good.  Have you tried with our VM template and an AMD GPU yet?

Never really tried since I continue to have issues with stepping forward/backward with the OE 5.95 betas.

That being said, I can certainly create one and give it a go.  Ahhh...the beauty of VMs.  :)

Stay tuned...I'll report back.

John

I've been thinking about using this VM and replacing my HTPC so I could put it to other uses. I had envisioned setting up the VM with a gpu passed thru to it and running HDMI to my A/V receiver. Hadn't really anticipated any problems until I read a comment in an unrelated thread that VNC is not possible if a VM has a gpu. Is that true? Since the tv is in my Living Room and is the primary one used by everyone it's almost impossible to tie it up for maintenance issues with Kodi (updates and setup and such). All of this I do via VNC from another computer or iPhone. I'm hoping I either misread or misunderstood the comment.

You cannot use VNC at all with the OE VM. It requires a GPU. There are, however, no updates that you would perform inside the VM.  Updates are issued in the form of new VM template images, which you can download through the unRAID web interface. Once a new version is downloaded, you simply stop the VM, edit the VM, and change the template version, then start the VM.

That said, even if the VM needed to be updated using GPU assignment, I don't think any HTPC solutions offer a workaround to this either.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you're saying? I would have to create a new VM anytime I want to install a new addon or change my settings?

When I was talking about using VNC I really meant that it would be for running updates and modifications on my video library. I usually like to check the artwork for new movies and sometimes the scrapers don't scrape the correct info. The remotes won't let me see the actual display.

Might just stick with what I have now. The HDMI would be about 75'. Probably too long for a high speed cable which would mean a set of HDMI to cat6 converters. The cost adds up fast. Would probably end up with a price tag higher than the htpc's original cost.

Which build did you use and how did you determine this?

I've been thinking about using this VM and replacing my HTPC so I could put it to other uses. I had envisioned setting up the VM with a gpu passed thru to it and running HDMI to my A/V receiver. Hadn't really anticipated any problems until I read a comment in an unrelated thread that VNC is not possible if a VM has a gpu. Is that true? Since the tv is in my Living Room and is the primary one used by everyone it's almost impossible to tie it up for maintenance issues with Kodi (updates and setup and such). All of this I do via VNC from another computer or iPhone. I'm hoping I either misread or misunderstood the comment.

You cannot use VNC at all with the OE VM. It requires a GPU. There are, however, no updates that you would perform inside the VM.  Updates are issued in the form of new VM template images, which you can download through the unRAID web interface. Once a new version is downloaded, you simply stop the VM, edit the VM, and change the template version, then start the VM.

That said, even if the VM needed to be updated using GPU assignment, I don't think any HTPC solutions offer a workaround to this either.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you're saying? I would have to create a new VM anytime I want to install a new addon or change my settings?

When I was talking about using VNC I really meant that it would be for running updates and modifications on my video library. I usually like to check the artwork for new movies and sometimes the scrapers don't scrape the correct info. The remotes won't let me see the actual display.

Might just stick with what I have now. The HDMI would be about 75'. Probably too long for a high speed cable which would mean a set of HDMI to cat6 converters. The cost adds up fast. Would probably end up with a price tag higher than the htpc's original cost.

No, your settings for Kodi are stored outside the VM image template. Think of the VM image like firmware on a router. When you want to upgrade, you just flash new firmware, but your old settings still persist because they aren't stored in the firmware.

So I'm wondering, how do you handle remotely updating your current HTPC?

I quit Kodi. Download the new dmg file and launch it. Drag the Kodi app to the "Applications" folder. Then I launch Kodi. This is all done via VNC usually, with a mouse.

I also like to check "Recently Added" videos to be sure the artwork is decent. This is the main thing I use VNC for. I hate getting ready to watch a movie and finding out the scraper has mis-matched it. Just an OCD thing I guess. Obviously the same video file is going to play regardless, but all the info will be wrong and it'll drive me crazy throughout the movie.

For me it would be very hard to operate Kodi without a monitor. I would always be wanting to know what it looked like.

I quit Kodi. Download the new dmg file and launch it. Drag the Kodi app to the "Applications" folder. Then I launch Kodi. This is all done via VNC usually, with a mouse.

I also like to check "Recently Added" videos to be sure the artwork is decent. This is the main thing I use VNC for. I hate getting ready to watch a movie and finding out the scraper has mis-matched it. Just an OCD thing I guess. Obviously the same video file is going to play regardless, but all the info will be wrong and it'll drive me crazy throughout the movie.

For me it would be very hard to operate Kodi without a monitor. I would always be wanting to know what it looked like.

Ok, so you install Kodi on top of another OS (like Ubuntu or otherwise), then you use a VNC server inside that OS to access the OS.  With OpenELEC I think you can do the same thing by downloading a VNC add-on for OpenELEC.  I haven't done this myself yet, so I'd need to look into it more, but seems like it should be doable.

Ok, so you install Kodi on top of another OS (like Ubuntu or otherwise), then you use a VNC server inside that OS to access the OS.  With OpenELEC I think you can do the same thing by downloading a VNC add-on for OpenELEC.  I haven't done this myself yet, so I'd need to look into it more, but seems like it should be doable.

Yes. It's a MacMini. It works great but it's kind of a waste since most of the features of MacOS are never used. That's the main reason I was looking at running Kodi from my unRaid. It would let me put the Mini to use as a network server. It could probably run Kodi and Yosemite Server both simultaneously, but with a core 2 duo processor I'm afraid there might occasionally be issues.

Is there anyway I could test the openelec VM and VNC addon without buying a GPU?

Yes. It's a MacMini. It works great but it's kind of a waste since most of the features of MacOS are never used. That's the main reason I was looking at running Kodi from my unRaid. It would let me put the Mini to use as a network server. It could probably run Kodi and Yosemite Server both simultaneously, but with a core 2 duo processor I'm afraid there might occasionally be issues.

Is there anyway I could test the openelec VM and VNC addon without buying a GPU?

No, you would definitely need a GPU to even start the OpenELEC VM right now. We are experimenting with making OpenELEC work over purely remote graphics, but its not ready for prime time yet.  The closest alternative could be to set up a VM using Kodibuntu. You can obtain the ISO from the Kodi.TV website.

I'm just wondering what you mean with hard to operate kodi without a monitor?

If you use the openelec VM you still have the kodi interface on the screen connected to the graphics card.

Which build did you use and how did you determine this?

http://plexrpms.markwalker.dk/OpenELEC/3.2/OpenELEC-Plex-Generic-3.2.4-237-Plex-Home-Theater-1.4.1-47a90f0.x86_64.tar

When I play Avatar bdrip, both CPUs are up in the 60% - 70% range.  Playing the same media in OE 5.0.8, CPUs are 5% - 10%.

I'm just wondering what you mean with hard to operate kodi without a monitor?

If you use the openelec VM you still have the kodi interface on the screen connected to the graphics card.

Yes, but the connected screen would be in another room 75' away and the main reason to use VNC would be so that everyone else could be watching their shows while I was doing whatever with Kodi. I suppose with the right GPU card I could disconnect the monitor from my computer and hook it to the GPU and maybe use IPMI(?) to connect a keyboard to Kodi. Or maybe I can pass thru a USB port? But then I'd also have to disconnect a keyboard and hook it to the unRaid. I don't really see that happening. I'd get tired of crawling underneath my desk pretty quickly.:)

The primary reason I was looking at Openelec was so that I could take the MacMini that I currently use for Kodi and use it for a network server instead. The lack of VNC support would be a deal killer though I think. If I have to buy a GPU, HDMI over Ethernet adapters, ethernet cables, new monitor and a new keyboard the price tag gets so high that it would be cheaper to just get another Mini from eBay.

Haven't really decided yet. I can see other advantages to connecting a monitor and keyboard to the unraid. IPMI is a real pain IMO. Just not really in my budget right now.

If you just need a player and don't use oddball formats (H.264 Hi10P, or H.265) maybe get a Raspberry Pi 2 B or something similar? Far cheaper than a Mac Mini and with OpenELEC becomes more appliance than project. If you need H.265 support, the new Fire TV will have support for that, as do several Android based boxes that have Kodi installed, or it can be installed on.

If you need Hi10P the options are all basically expensive as it requires a fair bit of horsepower to play properly.

There are quite a few ways to get Kodi cheaply onto a display if you have the network in place.

So I found some example xml's from johnodon in his PXE boot thread and managed to get Openelec beta 5 installed through the Ubuntu live boot cd mode... 

Strangely enough, passthrough audio is working fine for me with the full install vs using the beta 3 from Limetech where it would not work and menu sounds caused clicking noises galore (yes I tried the fixes mentioned in this thread, no help).  Not sure if there is just some stuff in the full version that's not in the forked version.

Anyways, i'm going to watch some stuff and see how it works out...  If anyone else out there is having issues, I recommend checking out johnodon's pxe thread and look at his xml... I found that every time i edited the VM in the webgui I would have to re-edit the xml and change out ALL the lines of code for the disk controller (from <disk> to </disk> and change the nic from the virtio to e1000.

watched my first movie just now... had a good bit of jitter from time to time, would happen about every 20 minutes or so.  Video playback was fine but audio would freak out.  Hopefully it's a setting I can change in the config files somewhere... 

Update:  Added options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1 to my sound.conf file in the config folder of the VM I built and it seems to have fixed the jitters on trueHD so i'm hopeful it fixed the random issues mentioned in the paragraph above... will need to watch a movie tomorrow to confirm.

so, just got done watching a full movie on the vm...  3 or 4 times throughout the movie the audio would go completely out while the video kept going; then it would all sync up and keep going.

this is after adding the mentioned setting to the config file...

any other ideas? 

So I found some example xml's from johnodon in his PXE boot thread and managed to get Openelec beta 5 installed through the Ubuntu live boot cd mode... 

Strangely enough, passthrough audio is working fine for me with the full install vs using the beta 3 from Limetech where it would not work and menu sounds caused clicking noises galore (yes I tried the fixes mentioned in this thread, no help).  Not sure if there is just some stuff in the full version that's not in the forked version.

Anyways, i'm going to watch some stuff and see how it works out...  If anyone else out there is having issues, I recommend checking out johnodon's pxe thread and look at his xml... I found that every time i edited the VM in the webgui I would have to re-edit the xml and change out ALL the lines of code for the disk controller (from <disk> to </disk> and change the nic from the virtio to e1000.

This is the only annoying thing about how KVM stuff has been integrated into the GUI for me so far. Some stuff is nice to change in the GUI, but once you start adding bits to the XML because they arent available int he GUI, any changes you make in the GUI overwrite what changes youve made in the XML. Really hoping there's a more comprehensive view on the 'edit' screen that shows all available devices to be passed through, and if theyve already been assigned to other VMs.