OpenELEC VM Template Support

jonp

Been having some trouble with this running consistently and looking for suggestions. Unraid runs fine when I am not running VM's (docker/plugins work fine). When running this VM, the performance is not good and when attempting to play a video it crashes unraid. I am unable to reach the server through telnet/web/etc. I tried changing the ram to test if there was an issue, but same issue.

What logs can I post to help diagnose it? I have another thread with my diagnostics and have not gotten anywhere with getting a stable server when running vm's.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a strange issue with the OE template.

When i auto start the VM with unRaid, all works great for days. But if i restart the VM, I never get video again, until a restart of the server. When i tried OVMF bios, restarting the VM hanged the whole server, even stopped respondning to ping. And a hard reset is all that helps to get back online.

I saw that someone had similar issues with system hanging.

I have a Asus GT 610 card.

JoWe

When i auto start the VM with unRaid, all works great for days. But if i restart the VM, I never get video again, until a restart of the server. When i tried OVMF bios, restarting the VM hanged the whole server, even stopped respondning to ping. And a hard reset is all that helps to get back online.

JoWe

There are some video cards that do not support resets of the GPU with VMs like this.  The result with these GPUs can be sometimes as simple as it just no longer working for pass through.  Others may see the system lock up.  Unfortunately there isn't much we can do in these situations.  You can check to see if your GPU has a BIOS update and if so, apply it, but if that doesn't change anything, you may just have to go with a different GPU for this.

JoWe

I have very similar issues -tried using both ASUS GT720 and a ASUS GT610. Everything would be fine until the first reboot -then it would lock up my entire UnRAID server (running UR 6.1.3).

I am waiting for the next release / update to OE before I try again -I don't have much time right now to tinker with different configs.

I only want to use small & passive GPU's due to the size of my case & where it lives in my house.  I'll spend the money and test another card if there was good experience with it, but it needs to be a single wide & passive GPU. Oh and it needs to support bit-streaming HD audio through OE...

I have not tried the "MSI interrupts enabled" fix yet, but i have confirmed that my GPU does not share anything unusual within the IOMMU Groups.

My 2c

BR

I have very similar issues -tried using both ASUS GT720

I'm very surprised you had this issue with this specific card, unless ASUS is doing something stupid with their specific BIOS.

I have 3 GT720's (1 MSI, 2 reference/OEM's), tested all of them with 2 different motherboards (ASRock, and ASUS), and they work flawlessly (I have tried to make them break, they did not, and I wasn't nice to them in testing!). I have CERTAINLY had these issues with previous tested cards (5450, and G210).

Finally got around to playing a little more with the OE template HD audio passthrough and running into an issue.  First, here are my config details...

- OE template 5.95.3

- Vid card passthrough = Radeon HD6450

- 2 pinned CPUs

- 2GB RAM

- AV Receiver = Sony DN840 (supports DTS-HD and TrueHD)

- Output = Mitsubishi HC1500 projector

- HDMI 1.4 from vid card to amp and from amp to projector (via "video" input on amp which supports all current formats i.e. 4K)

I have enabled passthrough in OE and enabled all supported formats (DTS, DD, DD Plus, DTS-HD and TrueHD).  However, if I play a DTS-HD or TrueHD movie, I get no sound.  The other formats work fine.

From what I read here on the forum, you need to select the proper audio device as your default and passthrough device.  The problem I have is that I only have one selection which is grayed out:  HDA ATI, @@@

I have tried different combinations of using SeaBIOS and OMVF + vid card ROM files and not and nothing has helped.  If I plug my WIN10 desktop with a Radeon 7770 into the AMP, I am able to select the proper audio device and DTS-HD and TrueHD are decoded without issue (so not an AMP issue).  So, I am not sure if my issue lies with KVM, the HD6450, OE, or whatever.

Here is some relevant info from the Kodi log:

20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE: Enumerated ALSA devices:
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:     Device 1
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : HDA ATI
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: @@@
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_channels        : FL,FR,LFE,FC,BL,BR,BC,BLOC,BROC
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_sampleRates     : 32000,44100,48000,88200,96000,176400,192000
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_LPCM,AE_FMT_AC3,AE_FMT_DTS,AE_FMT_EAC3,AE_FMT_DTSHD,AE_FMT_TRUEHD,AE_FMT_S32NE,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_AAC

Any suggestions?  In the meantime, I am going to build a WIN8.1 VM and passthrough the same vid card to it to see if I can rule out this being an OE/Linux issue.

TIA,

John

There are some video cards that do not support resets of the GPU with VMs like this.  The result with these GPUs can be sometimes as simple as it just no longer working for pass through.  Others may see the system lock up.  Unfortunately there isn't much we can do in these situations.  You can check to see if your GPU has a BIOS update and if so, apply it, but if that doesn't change anything, you may just have to go with a different GPU for this.

There is a bios upgrade on the ASUS support page for GT610, but when i try to run that, i get a message that says that my grphic card dont support UEFI. Ive opened a support case with ASUS to se if theres anything that can be done.

I have very similar issues -tried using both ASUS GT720 and a ASUS GT610. Everything would be fine until the first reboot -then it would lock up my entire UnRAID server (running UR 6.1.3).

I am waiting for the next release / update to OE before I try again -I don't have much time right now to tinker with different configs.

I only want to use small & passive GPU's due to the size of my case & where it lives in my house.  I'll spend the money and test another card if there was good experience with it, but it needs to be a single wide & passive GPU. Oh and it needs to support bit-streaming HD audio through OE...

I have not tried the "MSI interrupts enabled" fix yet, but i have confirmed that my GPU does not share anything unusual within the IOMMU Groups.

My 2c

BR

I had the problem where OE hangs the system, but only with OVMF bios, when using SeaBIOS, i just get no video, Unraid still works fine.

If i cant get it working Ill probobly buy a new card, proved to be working.

regards

Finally got around to playing a little more with the OE template HD audio passthrough and running into an issue.  First, here are my config details...

- OE template 5.95.3

- Vid card passthrough = Radeon HD6450

- 2 pinned CPUs

- 2GB RAM

- AV Receiver = Sony DN840 (supports DTS-HD and TrueHD)

- Output = Mitsubishi HC1500 projector

- HDMI 1.4 from vid card to amp and from amp to projector (via "video" input on amp which supports all current formats i.e. 4K)

I have enabled passthrough in OE and enabled all supported formats (DTS, DD, DD Plus, DTS-HD and TrueHD).  However, if I play a DTS-HD or TrueHD movie, I get no sound.  The other formats work fine.

From what I read here on the forum, you need to select the proper audio device as your default and passthrough device.  The problem I have is that I only have one selection which is grayed out:  HDA ATI, @@@

I have tried different combinations of using SeaBIOS and OMVF + vid card ROM files and not and nothing has helped.  If I plug my WIN10 desktop with a Radeon 7770 into the AMP, I am able to select the proper audio device and DTS-HD and TrueHD are decoded without issue (so not an AMP issue).  So, I am not sure if my issue lies with KVM, the HD6450, OE, or whatever.

Here is some relevant info from the Kodi log:

20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE: Enumerated ALSA devices:
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:     Device 1
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : HDA ATI
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: @@@
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_channels        : FL,FR,LFE,FC,BL,BR,BC,BLOC,BROC
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_sampleRates     : 32000,44100,48000,88200,96000,176400,192000
20:05:34 T:139959590602624  NOTICE:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_LPCM,AE_FMT_AC3,AE_FMT_DTS,AE_FMT_EAC3,AE_FMT_DTSHD,AE_FMT_TRUEHD,AE_FMT_S32NE,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_AAC

Any suggestions?  In the meantime, I am going to build a WIN8.1 VMo and passthrough the same vid card to it to see if I can rule out this being an OE/Linux issue.

TIA,

John

I had this problem a couple of years ago. I dont know if it´s still the same, but when i had the problen, it was the drivers in Linux for Radeon that didnt support DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. I tested my Radeon card in Windows and it worked. I ended up buying a Geforce GT 610. (That i now have problems with rebooting the VM, but HD audio works fine in my 9.1 surround system) :)

Sigh...

So it is definitely an OE/Linux issue.  My WIN8.1 plays and transcodes DTS-HD and TrueHD without any issue at all.

Next I may try Ubuntu or Mint with Kodi installed to see if this is purely an OE issue but I don't have high hopes.

John

If you disable "Adjust Refreshrate to match video" will that get you HD Audio?

JoWe

Sigh...

So it is definitely an OE/Linux issue.  My WIN8.1 plays and transcodes DTS-HD and TrueHD without any issue at all.

Next I may try Ubuntu or Mint with Kodi installed to see if this is purely an OE issue but I don't have high hopes.

John

If you disable "Adjust Refreshrate to match video" will that get you HD Audio?

JoWe

As far as I can see, that option is turned off by default and I don't turn it on.  So, I am assuming that won't help in this case.

BTW, I am having the same result with Mint + Kodi.  Kodi on Linux defaults to PulseAudio which does not support TrueHD and DTS-HD so I has to start Kodi with Alsa enabled.  However, just like OE, I can only see that HDA ATI, @@@ device and HD is not working.

Just when I thought I was done with WIN.  :S

John

As far as I can see, that option is turned off by default and I don't turn it on.  So, I am assuming that won't help in this case.

BTW, I am having the same result with Mint + Kodi.  Kodi on Linux defaults to PulseAudio which does not support TrueHD and DTS-HD so I has to start Kodi with Alsa enabled.  However, just like OE, I can only see that HDA ATI, @@@ device and HD is not working.

Just when I thought I was done with WIN.  :S

John

Yes its off by default, i always enable it and pause video for 6sec when the TV changes refresh rate, i think it gives a smoother picture.

I found this bug report, maybe it could be same as your problem? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75064

Will we ever be done with WIN= :)

Hello

Is it normal that every time I reboot my Unraid the openELEC img file is downloaded from the server again?

According to the instructions at http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_6/VM_Guest_Support#Downloading_the_VM you should be able to define the location of the virtual disk image just like I do with my Windows VM. However I don't have that option and it's always defaulting to /usr/local/emhttp/

Is this OK?

thanks

ZeFTLej.png

JoWe

After having contact with Asus support, the card i have cannot be updated (GT610-SL-1GD3-L). So theres probably not much more to do than replace the GPU.

JoWe

I have 2 GT720 cards, 1 for windows VM (working great, needs no adjustment) and the other for OE Vm.  I want to use HDMI, however, at current Kodi (OE) has problems with this and I need to create a file in config folder of OE.

.config/modprobe.d/sound.conf with the code line options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

in order to get the HDMI to work without popping noises.

Being the total novice that I am, how in the heck do I accomplish this?  All my research just says to do it, but I don't have the foggiest idea how to.

I'm currently using a VGA cable combined with external speakers, but I shouldn't have to do this.

Any help sure would be appreciated ~ Dave

I have 2 GT720 cards, 1 for windows VM (working great, needs no adjustment) and the other for OE Vm.  I want to use HDMI, however, at current Kodi (OE) has problems with this and I need to create a file in config folder of OE.

.config/modprobe.d/sound.conf with the code line options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

in order to get the HDMI to work without popping noises.

Being the total novice that I am, how in the heck do I accomplish this?  All my research just says to do it, but I don't have the foggiest idea how to.

I'm currently using a VGA cable combined with external speakers, but I shouldn't have to do this.

Any help sure would be appreciated ~ Dave

I thought this was done automatically in the latest unraid, but can't find it in the changelogs, so it might just have been a promise from jonp in a post.

You have to go in the config folder for Openelec and create a file in .config/modprobe.d/ called sound.conf. Inside the file you add: options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

After that you can start the Openelec VM and your sound should be good :)

Thanks saarg, maybe you missed my point. Do I create the file in text editor or text wrangler and paste it into the config file?  I understand what you're saying, I just don't understand the mechanics ~ Dave

Let's see if I've got it.  I create a file in notepad++ using that info, name it sound.conf and save it or paste it into the .config/modprobe.d/.  Is this how the file is created and entered?

Thanks saarg, maybe you missed my point. Do I create the file in text editor or text wrangler and paste it into the config file?  I understand what you're saying, I just don't understand the mechanics ~ Dave

Let's see if I've got it.  I create a file in notepad++ using that info, name it sound.conf and save it or paste it into the .config/modprobe.d/.  Is this how the file is created and entered?

That is correct  :)

You might have to change the format from windows to Unix with the EOL conversion in notepad++. Choose Edit --> EOL conversion --> Unix and save the file again.

Just curious, to any of you guys running nvidia hardware I have a question.  Have you tried watching any TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio 7.1 movies?  I find that after I put in the "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1" in the config file; I can watch all my movies flawlessly that are just normal old DTS or DD 5.1... However anytime I watch a FULL movie in either TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio that about every 15-20 minutes the audio will cut out for about 1-2 seconds then come right back. 

Anyways, it only happens on that specific setup... anyone else have any experience with it?

I've gone as far as building a custom openelec vm and it has the same issue; so not just the one that is built into unRaids... 

I do have my Vid card in a slower PCIex lane as I only had one 16x lane, but before I go building an all new unraid box; I figured i'd see if that'll be worth it...

Not CPU related, cpu is sitting on its rear...

Just curious, to any of you guys running nvidia hardware I have a question.  Have you tried watching any TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio 7.1 movies?  I find that after I put in the "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1" in the config file; I can watch all my movies flawlessly that are just normal old DTS or DD 5.1... However anytime I watch a FULL movie in either TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio that about every 15-20 minutes the audio will cut out for about 1-2 seconds then come right back. 

Anyways, it only happens on that specific setup... anyone else have any experience with it?

I've gone as far as building a custom openelec vm and it has the same issue; so not just the one that is built into unRaids... 

I do have my Vid card in a slower PCIex lane as I only had one 16x lane, but before I go building an all new unraid box; I figured i'd see if that'll be worth it...

Not CPU related, cpu is sitting on its rear...

I have this same issue. Only happening on TrueHD and DTS-HD. Would love this fixed.