OpenELEC VM Template Support

jonp

Just curious, to any of you guys running nvidia hardware I have a question.  Have you tried watching any TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio 7.1 movies?  I find that after I put in the "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1" in the config file; I can watch all my movies flawlessly that are just normal old DTS or DD 5.1... However anytime I watch a FULL movie in either TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio that about every 15-20 minutes the audio will cut out for about 1-2 seconds then come right back. 

Anyways, it only happens on that specific setup... anyone else have any experience with it?

I've gone as far as building a custom openelec vm and it has the same issue; so not just the one that is built into unRaids... 

I do have my Vid card in a slower PCIex lane as I only had one 16x lane, but before I go building an all new unraid box; I figured i'd see if that'll be worth it...

Not CPU related, cpu is sitting on its rear...

I have this same issue. Only happening on TrueHD and DTS-HD. Would love this fixed.

Well at least i'm not alone!  whew!  makes me feel better...

Maybe the 6.0 release has some new drivers or something in it, cannot wait to try it out.  Probably wait for the unraid official instead of installing it from scratch this time around though

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eric actually put a build together of it for me today and while I only had the chance to just do a basic boot and make sure it played video, it did work, so our tentative plan is to include this in the next release.  Not sure if anything got resolved for folks with respect to audio issues and whatnot, but I guess we'll find out ;-)

Eric actually put a build together of it for me today and while I only had the chance to just do a basic boot and make sure it played video, it did work, so our tentative plan is to include this in the next release.  Not sure if anything got resolved for folks with respect to audio issues and whatnot, but I guess we'll find out ;-)

With the latest OE v6, I still get no sound if I enable TrueHD or DTS-HD even though my receiver supports those formats.

John

With the latest OE v6, I still get no sound if I enable TrueHD or DTS-HD even though my receiver supports those formats.

John

Have you tested this using the latest OE not in a VM?  Curious if this is a OE issue or a VM issue.

I watched a bunch of movies since I installed openELEC VM and so far only one movie had the random 1 second audio dropout. I'm not sure if it's audio codec related.

Last night I watched Inside Out bluray rip with 7.1 DTS-MA without a single hitch.

I am still on the beta release. Have the final 6.0 version made it do the template yet? And if it did, do I need to do something force it to show up?

thanks

John

Have you tested this using the latest OE not in a VM?  Curious if this is a OE issue or a VM issue.

Not with 6.0 final...only 5.95.5.  I'm pretty sure it is an OE issue though.

I'll try 6.0 a little later today.

John

Not with 6.0 final...only 5.95.5.  I'm pretty sure it is an OE issue though.

I'll try 6.0 a little later today.

Thanks johnodon. Please let me know if this is a VM specific issue. I think not, but let me know nonetheless.

Can I ask how are you all controlling this VM?

I have been trying to pass through a wireless xbox360 receiver but have had no joy whatsoever.

I've only passed it through using device id (tick box on edit VM screen), obviously plugged in with the VM off.

The controller doesn't even seem to sync with the receiver (all lights on the ring just flash).

However same method with a wireless mini kb/touchpad combo usb dongle works fine (but the kb/touchpad is awful to use).

The main reason I want to do this is I've installed RetroArch on it using johnoden's guide here - https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43836.0

Currently its just plugged into my monitors 2nd input, but I plan on extending it into the living room and replace one of my pi's in there that's running openELEC.

Also on that note, if I can get the controller working I'd want to look at getting a pulse eight cec adaptor in order to control it using my tv's remote. Anyone passed the usb part of that to the OE VM?

I'd like to do this as the tv remote is what we currently use to control the pi, keeps things simple for the missus and kids (and 1 less remote on the coffee table).

only other point to note is I plugged in the xbox receiver into my openelec pi and the ring doesn't flash (solid top left light) like its connected, it still doesn't control kodi though :(

Any help appreciated guys ;)

scratch the above about an xbox 360 controller

some googling on the lights found me the xboxdrv.sh driver that solves it all and the pad now works for both OE and the emulators

for anyone else interested the helpful instruction i followed can be found here - http://openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/71535-guides-retroarch-friends?start=319

still wouldn't mind hearing if anyone has a pulse eight adaptor working ;)

Can I ask how are you all controlling this VM?

I control mine via a combination of WMC IR receiver using the GUI USB passthrough, and the JSON IP protocol via my control system for things like "Toggle Watched" or audio/subtitle delay adjustments, as well as to pull the current video information to display on my remote.

some googling on the lights found me the xboxdrv.sh driver that solves it all and the pad now works for both OE and the emulators

for anyone else interested the helpful instruction i followed can be found here - http://openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/71535-guides-retroarch-friends?start=319

I got the pulse-eight adaptor working by adding the address manually to the xml for the VM.

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x2548'/>
        <product id='0x1002'/>
        <address bus='7' device='5'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
    </hostdev>

The above is the code specific to my installation but it might be of some use.

I got the pulse-eight adaptor working by adding the address manually to the xml for the VM.

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x2548'/>
        <product id='0x1002'/>
        <address bus='7' device='5'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
    </hostdev>

The above is the code specific to my installation but it might be of some use.

Smashing Phil, thanks for the confirmation.

Thanks for the code, did you have to manually add it? Just it seems to be the same entered when using the tick boxes on the 'edit VM' screen. Either way, useful non-the-less ;)

I think i'll get one ordered once I've solved my graphics card issue.

Any chance you can post a link to his image? I would really like to test out the updates to Airplay and whatnot.

So I finally got some time to mess with this again. I had lost sound after initially experiencing success. The addition of the "sound.conf" file to my modprobe.b folder has solved the problem for me. I have sound and I am experiencing success with TrueHD and DTS-MA passthrough. I still need to sit through a full movie but in a 15 minute sitting I am not having any issues. I am using an NVIDIA GT730 and using the Beta 3 VM template.  I know that is light on any detail. I am happy to provide more if someone would like to know more about my setup.

So I finally got some time to mess with this again. I had lost sound after initially experiencing success. The addition of the "sound.conf" file to my modprobe.b folder has solved the problem for me. I have sound and I am experiencing success with TrueHD and DTS-MA passthrough. I still need to sit through a full movie but in a 15 minute sitting I am not having any issues. I am using an NVIDIA GT730 and using the Beta 3 VM template.  I know that is light on any detail. I am happy to provide more if someone would like to know more about my setup.

May I ask which specific brand GT730 (passive/active) you are using?

May I ask which specific brand GT730 (passive/active) you are using?

Yes you may. EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 64bit with Active Cooling.

Here is a link to the exact unit on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5GZG5C?keywords=evga%20gt730&qid=1448392099&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1.

And more info about my rig.

M/B: Supermicro - X10SL7-F

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz

Memory: 16384 MB (max. installable capacity 32 GB) ECC

Kernel: Linux 4.1.13-unRAID x86_64

GPU questions?  I've tried the GT610 route...freezes up on reboot,  tried the GT720 route...no sound with usb.  Which cards are proving themselves...I'm looking at GT750Ti (kinda pricey, but..), GT730, at this point I just hate throwing more cash at a nvidia card.  Other choices in the amd might be 5450 or 6450.  Are the amd cards proving more reliable for Openelec, I don't see much otherwise.  Any input appreciated ~ Dave

GPU questions?  I've tried the GT610 route...freezes up on reboot,  tried the GT720 route...no sound with usb.  Which cards are proving themselves...I'm looking at GT750Ti (kinda pricey, but..), GT730, at this point I just hate throwing more cash at a nvidia card.  Other choices in the amd might be 5450 or 6450.  Are the amd cards proving more reliable for Openelec, I don't see much otherwise.  Any input appreciated ~ Dave

I have not tried any other cards other than the GT730. On my rigs I did have to enable ACS Override and add the sound.conf file with MSI interrupts but all seems to be working well now. I ironically originally set out to buy a GT720 because of the success others in the forum were having using it for Windows Virtualization but for some reason ended up buying GT730's instead. I now have two different rigs that are essentially identical up and running with the OpenELEC VM with GT730's. Neither have seen heavy use yet but I suspect they will over this Thanksgiving weekend. I will do my best to remember to report back if I have any issues. I

By the way I am not familiar with the "no sound with usb" issue that you mention in the previous post. Again I don't know the particulars of that issues but I have been using a wireless USB keyboard that I passed through to the OpenELEC VM with no issues to sound that I have experienced. If I can test something

-Will

I have 3 HD6450's passed through to 3 separate OE VMs.  They have worked flawlessly for their current purposes.  The only issues I have encountered are:

1.  No sound with TRUEHD or DTS-HD in passthrough even though both the video cards and my AV receiver support these formats.  I think this is more of a linux issue though as everything works perfectly in windows.

2.  If I shut down a VM unclearly (force stop), sometimes the vid card will not reset and the VM will crash on next start.  Only a server restart fixes the issue.  I do not know if this is purely an AMD issue.

I also have a GTX 750 TI on the way and will put it through the paces.

John

Hi

Is your fix for the issue with intermittent sound cut out? It is driving my crazy on my setup. I played some movies without a single audio drop pout, some with just few here and there and last night I was trying to watch Star Wars bluray rip and it was cutting out every few minutes.

I have file "disable-spdif-for-hd-audio.conf" in modprobe.d folder with line "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1" in it.

Did you do something else as well?

thanks

Hi

Is your fix for the issue with intermittent sound cut out? It is driving my crazy on my setup. I played some movies without a single audio drop pout, some with just few here and there and last night I was trying to watch Star Wars bluray rip and it was cutting out every few minutes.

I have file "disable-spdif-for-hd-audio.conf" in modprobe.d folder with line "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1" in it.

Did you do something else as well?

thanks

gulo,

I have not experienced any issues with audio cut outs. I applied the same fix that you listed above except that I put the "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1" in a file called sound.conf in the same folder you listed. The only problem that I am having is that Kodi crashes if I browse through my library too quickly (I have a little over a thousand movies scanned into my kodi library). It is a little annoying and an issue that I have never had when running OpenElec. Not sure why it's happening.

-Will