OpenELEC VM Template Support

jonp

I've had good results using the GT720, except the dreaded audio and occasional video drop out..... 

The drop outs only seem to happen when streaming live or recorded TV from my TBS tuners (MPEG-2 format).  No dropouts when playing the shares from my server.

I have the addition of the "sound.conf" file and have tried all variations of options in the Kodi menu for refresh rates.

Having researched this, it seems common when trying to passthrough these file types to an AVR.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any solution that I may be missing?

The dropouts from live or recorded TV is more likely the decoder not being able to handle small errors in the DVB stream. I don't think it's the GPU's fault.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi,

trying to get the openelec vm to work on my unraid server due to now getting an i5 4460.

i think i'm filling everything in correctly, i have it connected to the hdmi cable that my rpi2 usually runs kodi on through my amp no probs, and the console on first boot shows up on the screen i'm using. as soon as i try and start the VM the screen goes black and thats it.

looking in the log it has this:-

2016-01-20 14:15:57.183+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.2.18, qemu version: 2.3.0

Domain id=1 is tainted: high-privileges

Domain id=1 is tainted: custom-argv

Domain id=1 is tainted: host-cpu

char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

the icon in VM's is showing as started.

here are my settings

oe%20unraid%201_zpsgg3oqqvr.jpg

oe%20unraid%202_zpstjtxipqa.jpg

not sure if its the GPU its an geforce gt520 (also tried a gt430) is that supported?

hi,

trying to get the openelec vm to work on my unraid server due to now getting an i5 4460.

i think i'm filling everything in correctly, i have it connected to the hdmi cable that my rpi2 usually runs kodi on through my amp no probs, and the console on first boot shows up on the screen i'm using. as soon as i try and start the VM the screen goes black and thats it.

looking in the log it has this:-

2016-01-20 14:15:57.183+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.2.18, qemu version: 2.3.0

Domain id=1 is tainted: high-privileges

Domain id=1 is tainted: custom-argv

Domain id=1 is tainted: host-cpu

char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

the icon in VM's is showing as started.

here are my settings

oe%20unraid%201_zpsgg3oqqvr.jpg

oe%20unraid%202_zpstjtxipqa.jpg

not sure if its the GPU its an geforce gt520 (also tried a gt430) is that supported?

I had a similar problem with a GT 610 card. I could only get the VM to start if i started it with unRAID, and after that i couldn't restart it. Blank screen on TV. I cant remember if i could reach it on the network though.

Tried to update bios on GPU but there was nothing new. So im using an old AMD card now.

JoWe

i can't see it in the clients list on the router, it is the mac address thats listed in the openelec VM i'm looking for right?

also followed the link to the video bios collection site and the card i have isn't listed (PNY GeForce GT520) ?

will this do the job instead?

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/102819/102819.html

and do i follow the instructions for seaBIOS or OVMF?

Hard for me to say since I don't know which card you have...

You can just try it. I don't think bad will happen. First try the GT 520 card that is closest to your model regarding memory and clock speed.

You follow either seabios or ovmf depending on what you have chosen in the openelec template.

apologies, now sorted, wen't through the motherboard bios again and there was a separate enable Vt-d tab for the GPU, had to set to OVMF and it all started fine.

one thing i'm having trouble with is connecting with openelec using the yatse app on my phone, i have everything turned on in kodi, however i keep getting unable to connect when adding the details into the app. anyone else had issues with it?

i notice that the gateway and primary DNS are now different, does running the VM give it its own range of IP addresses? i like to use fixed IP's on all my openelec clients, so usually i just change it to manual from within the OE gui.

apologies if these are stupid questions its my first time using a VM.

apologies, now sorted, wen't through the motherboard bios again and there was a separate enable Vt-d tab for the GPU, had to set to OVMF and it all started fine.

one thing i'm having trouble with is connecting with openelec using the yatse app on my phone, i have everything turned on in kodi, however i keep getting unable to connect when adding the details into the app. anyone else had issues with it?

i notice that the gateway and primary DNS are now different, does running the VM give it its own range of IP addresses? i like to use fixed IP's on all my openelec clients, so usually i just change it to manual from within the OE gui.

apologies if these are stupid questions its my first time using a VM.

Sorry I didn't catch this before...

Change your Network Bridge in the VM from 'virbr0' to 'br0'.  That way you will be using the same network bridge as unraid and your VMs will be able to reach your router (virbr0 is a self-contained network in KVM).

John

it doesn't have the br0 option in the dropdown, it has docker0?

The you need to enable bridge and set bridge = br0 in unraid...Settings --> Network Settings.

All of this is covered in the unraid wiki: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_6/VM_Management

BTW...I believe you can call the public bridge whatever you want but I have only ever seen 'br0' used.

So... I have DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby Digital TrueHD Lossess bitsteaming working on my AMD FX-6300, ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0, with an XFX ATI 5450. I'm running unRAID 6.1.7 and using the LT version of OE (beta 3?). I confirmed the decoding method on my receiver as it clearly states DTS or DTS-HD Master Audio. Only issue seems to be if the VM goes to sleep (accidentally triggered this).

Edit: Spoke too soon, had it working a few times... then it stopped. Files just wouldn't play with refresh rate and pass-through. Tried an old NVidia GT 520 and playback suffered for all my non-hardware decoded formats despite having enough CPU assigned to handle the playback. These formats include H.264 Hi10P, H.265 and H.264 10-bit.

Edit 2: Aaand... it's back to working again. I have no clue why.

are you telling us you have bitstreaming with OE and and AMD video card in a VM on unraid?

Yup, it seems to be intermittent, oddly enough I have a NVidia GPU installed, but not connected to anything in my box. I didn't do anything special, I just installed 6.1.7 on my USB stick, setup the VM and tried it for giggles... and it worked!

I have an AMD FX 6300 on an ASUS M5A99FX R2.0 PRO board (990FX chipset), the AMD card is in the first PCI-E slot (closest to the CPU).

Cards are (in order):

1: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5450 (LT OE VM)

2: Realtek Gigabit NIC (LT OE VM, since the shares on a different unRAID box, also fixes a minor issue with the network bridge not being up that messed up my centralized MySQL Kodi setup)

3: Intel PRO/1000 Dual Gigabit NIC (pfSense VM)

4: XFX NVidia GT 520 (not used, but when removed seemed to break refresh rate change + pass through)

5: PCI slot (empty)

6: Highpoint RocketRaid card (Windows VM to finish getting data of a 2x3TB drive array).

Okay, its taken a while but with the support of this community I have my HTPC up and running.  OpenELEC VM in unRAID with PleXMBC. XFX ATI HD 5450 video passthrough working. Even had my Harmony remote and Flirc working at one point. But somewhere along the way the remote quit working and I'm not sure when. I know it worked with PleXMBC 3.6.1 and plexmbc helper 3.4.2. I upgraded to PleXMBC 4.0.0 beta 4 and then plugin.video.plexbmc-isengard-helper-merge and updated the motherboard BIOS to fix some other issues and the remote no longer works. I set up a new OpenEWLEC VM with the original PleXMBC versions but the remote doesn't work. Flirc and remote work when plugged into a different machine. Looking at the XML the Flirc is listed with what looks like the correct Bus and Device number. Anyone have any ideas?

Okay, its taken a while but with the support of this community I have my HTPC up and running.  OpenELEC VM in unRAID with PleXMBC. XFX ATI HD 5450 video passthrough working. Even had my Harmony remote and Flirc working at one point. But somewhere along the way the remote quit working and I'm not sure when. I know it worked with PleXMBC 3.6.1 and plexmbc helper 3.4.2. I upgraded to PleXMBC 4.0.0 beta 4 and then plugin.video.plexbmc-isengard-helper-merge and updated the motherboard BIOS to fix some other issues and the remote no longer works. I set up a new OpenEWLEC VM with the original PleXMBC versions but the remote doesn't work. Flirc and remote work when plugged into a different machine. Looking at the XML the Flirc is listed with what looks like the correct Bus and Device number. Anyone have any ideas?

Post your XML and also Tools--> System Devices --> USB Devices.

John

XLM:

<domain type='kvm' id='2' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>OpenELEC</name>
  <uuid>2a1fd289-d161-74a0-fd04-4421094d883f</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate name="OpenELEC" icon="openelec.png" os="openelec" openelec="5.95.3_1"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>2097152</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>524288</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
    <locked/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>1</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.3'>hvm</type>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/appdata/OpenELEC-unRAID.x86_64-5.95.3_1.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='virtio'/>
      <readonly/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='virtio-disk0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pci-bridge'>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
      <source dir='/mnt/user/appdata/OpenELEC/'/>
      <target dir='appconfig'/>
      <alias name='fs0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </filesystem>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:4c:5c:45'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/OpenELEC.org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x1267'/>
        <product id='0x0103'/>
        <address bus='1' device='9'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x0e8d'/>
        <product id='0x1956'/>
        <address bus='1' device='3'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x20a0'/>
        <product id='0x0001'/>
        <address bus='1' device='10'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev2'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=2,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=pcie.0'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

System Devices:

System Devices

PCI Devices

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family ME Interface #1
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev d0)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev d0)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev d0)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family H97 Controller
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)

IOMMU Groups

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/0/devices/0000:00:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:00:01.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:01:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:01:00.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/2/devices/0000:00:02.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:00:03.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/4/devices/0000:00:14.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:00:16.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/6/devices/0000:00:19.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/7/devices/0000:00:1a.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/8/devices/0000:00:1b.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1c.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1c.3
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1c.4
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:03:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:04:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/10/devices/0000:00:1d.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/11/devices/0000:00:1f.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/11/devices/0000:00:1f.2
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/11/devices/0000:00:1f.3

USB Devices

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 8087:8001 Intel Corp. 
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 8087:8009 Intel Corp. 
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0951:1666 Kingston Technology DataTraveler G4
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 1267:0103 Logic3 / SpectraVideo plc G-720 Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0e8d:1956 MediaTek Inc. 
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 20a0:0001 Clay Logic 
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 8087:07dc Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1bcf:0c31 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. SPIF30x Serial-ATA bridge
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

SCSI Devices

[0:0:0:0]    disk    Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 PMAP  /dev/sda 
[2:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  Optiarc  BD ROM BC-5550H  B881  /dev/sr1 
[5:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      KINGSTON SHFS37A BBF0  /dev/sdb 
[6:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A82  /dev/sdc 
[7:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      ST31000524AS     JC4B  /dev/sdd 
[8:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD1001FALS-0 0K05  /dev/sde 

I've had issues with both of my unRAID builds and passing USB items to VMs for extended periods of time, you may want to look into passing through an entire USB controller like this or a PCI-E pass through of a controller card, which also gains you hotplug functionality if you say move a wireless keyboard around.

I went through the process of mapping all my ports. The result is I have 3 controllers, 4 buses. 2 USB2 ports are bus 1. All 6 of the USB3 ports are bus 1 if USB2 device is plugged in and bus 2 if a USB3 device is plugged in. Both bus 1 and 2 are on one controller. I don't know what uses the other controllers are used for. Its a Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WiFi board. Looks like passing through a whole controller is out.

What I can't figure out is it was working at one point.

*****update... went back and unplugged all USB and started adding them one at a time. Eventually discovered my Flirc did not play well with one of my USB Bluray players. I had to put the Flirc by itself in one of the USB2 port. If I put it in any of the USB3 ports with the Bluray in a USB3 it won't work.