OpenELEC VM Template Support

jonp

More trouble with OpenElec and PleXBMC. Everything was working until I decided to change unRAID to a static IP address. I did it from the network settings screen. When I applied it I lost communication with the server. Investigation showed the network.cfg file was blank. I copied the file from my initial download files and restarted it and it found a new address and I was able to connect to it again. When I tried starting my OpenELEC VM gave me an error saying it couldn't find or connect to br0 (something like that). I ended up deleting the VM and all the OpenELEC files and redoing the VM.Then spent the whole day trying to get PleXBMC going again. No matter what I do I it will not find the content on my Plex Media Server in Docker. PMS is running and I can view movies from it on another box on the network. I don't think I am doing anything different setting it up but it sure doesn't work. Below it the XML file, Any help would be appreciated. I hate to say this but with all the trouble I have had I'm really feeling like unRAID should still be in the beta stage not a paid for product.

<domain type='kvm' id='2' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>OpenELEC</name>
  <uuid>04768d21-869d-b6df-3ab9-e13f20b64f91</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate name="OpenELEC" icon="openelec.png" os="openelec" openelec="5.95.3_1"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>524288</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>524288</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
    <locked/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>1</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.3'>hvm</type>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/appdata/OpenELEC-unRAID.x86_64-5.95.3_1.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='virtio'/>
      <readonly/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='virtio-disk0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pci-bridge'>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
      <source dir='/mnt/user/appdata/OpenELEC/'/>
      <target dir='appconfig'/>
      <alias name='fs0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </filesystem>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:5c:de:ad'/>
      <source bridge='virbr0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/OpenELEC.org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x1267'/>
        <product id='0x0103'/>
        <address bus='1' device='5'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x20a0'/>
        <product id='0x0001'/>
        <address bus='1' device='4'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x0e8d'/>
        <product id='0x1956'/>
        <address bus='1' device='3'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev2'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=2,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=pcie.0'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any way to download the template and img directly, I don't have internet at home for another 10-20 days, I'd like to set up openelec now...impatient I know!.

I tried setting it up from an image from OpenELEC following the guide in this forums but it keeps getting errors before loading, so thought i'd try the Limetech template.

cheers. appreciate any help offerred.

Has anybody managed to pass through a Pulse Eight CEC HDMI adapter to their Openelec 6 VM in Unraid 6.2.0 beta21?

I managed it in the 6.1.9 Openelec template with the following addition to the XML:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>

<driver name='vfio'/>

<source>

<address domain='0x0000' bus='0x82' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>

</source>

</hostdev>

Adding this to the XML of VM 6 brings up the PCI device in the Other PCI Devices box of the setup page, but the VM will not work with this line added to the XML.

Appreciate any help as the Wife will soon get sick of having to use the iphone to work the TV  :)

2eb756t.png

se67ag.png

Has anybody managed to pass through a Pulse Eight CEC HDMI adapter to their Openelec 6 VM in Unraid 6.2.0 beta21?

I managed it in the 6.1.9 Openelec template with the following addition to the XML:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>

<driver name='vfio'/>

<source>

<address domain='0x0000' bus='0x82' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>

</source>

</hostdev>

Adding this to the XML of VM 6 brings up the PCI device in the Other PCI Devices box of the setup page, but the VM will not work with this line added to the XML.

Appreciate any help as the Wife will soon get sick of having to use the iphone to work the TV  :)

Hey Dave,

Can't help you as I've never used any CEC kit but another way of achieving WAF would be to use a FLIRC.  Then you'd be cool just passing through USB.  I use one for my main HTPC but confess to never having tried it in a VM but may be an option for you.

Hi Neil

Long time no speak.  Hope that you are well mate.

The Pulse Eight adapter is great and worked a treat with the VM previously, so I'm determined to get it working with the new stuff.  It is just great to be able to control everything with the TV remote.  I found the FLIRC temperemental.

I see that you have been busy with the second job mate.  It's all looking great.

;)

I was barking up completely the wrong tree!

With the new Openelec template you do not need to think too much about passing through devices, it does it for you.  On a previous build I was passing through an entire PCi-e USB hub to enable the use of a Pulse Eight adapter.  Now you just plug it in to a USB slot and select it.  Awesome!

I would recommend one of these devices to anyone with an openelec VM.

Any word on when we might see a LibreELEC 7 image? OpenELEC 6 is a little stale now since it is based on Kodi 15, and not latest stable.

I see that the custom images are hosted on Eric Schultz's Github, but I didn't see any new activity.

The reason I'm asking is because I use a mysql setup, which requires all clients to use the same version (database version) and all my other clients are on Kodi 16.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Updated to 6.2, attempted to install a fresh openelec VM using the unraid default.

I get a openelec/kodi boot screen, but it hard crashes. Searching the log in my openelec appdata folder I find this tidbit:

02:11:03 T:140213840799616  ERROR: GLX Error: No Display found

02:11:03 T:140213840799616  FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

System is with mostly defaults of the template, OVMF, Q35-2.5, 1GB RAM, AMD 6450 graphics card.

Diags attached, openelec log attached.

I am new to openelec and Kodi, google did not get me far in my search for this issue. Any help appreciated.

bigbang-diagnostics-20160915-2220.zip

kodi_crashlog_20160916021103.txt

• 4 weeks later...

I updated to unRAID 6.2.1 and it broke my openELEC. I tried re-installing the VM but it won't start. I'm getting:

"Failed to start org Server

See systemctl status xorg.service for details."

I have no idea what Xorg server is! Can anyone help?

• 2 weeks later...

I updated to unRAID 6.2.1 and it broke my openELEC. I tried re-installing the VM but it won't start. I'm getting:

"Failed to start org Server

See systemctl status xorg.service for details."

I have no idea what Xorg server is! Can anyone help?

I've had the same issue upgrading to 6.3.0.

I am running a Nvidia GT720.  The VM works when run with a VNC but not when the GPU is selected on the template.

I tried the old "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1" but no joy.

Any ideas on this?  This setup worked fine until I upgraded.....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Is there a way to upgrade libreelec to a other version (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=269815 ).

When I preform the normal upgrade procedure , ( coping the system and kernel files to the update folder) it still boots the original version.

No, you can't update the normal way with the template. You will have to install openelec  as a Linux VM putting the install media as the primary vdisk then installing to a second vdisk. There is a tutorial in the forums for how to do this.

Once installed this way you can update the normal way.