Basic newbie networking doubt

zhopudey

Didn't work. Getting "destination host unreachable" when pinging from unraid, and "Request timed out" when pinging from windows.

Destination host unreachable can mean a number of things, including driver problems in the unRAID computer.

You should have no problem with your win7 computer, and your unRAID, both connected to the switch with a straight through cable.  The route to the local net is implied when you assign two ip addresses from the same subnet, which you did correctly. 

In the unRAID box log into the console and type 'netstat -nr'.  You should have three lines in response, if so, what are they?  I'd bet you have 0 or 1 lines which means that the interface is down, usually because the drivers aren't talking to it.  Look at the LED's for the ethernet connector, is one of them lit?  Are there any lights when you 'ping' the win7's address?  I'll bet not.

I've run into several cards, for example, with the Realtek 8169S chip that don't work.  One that does.  Those that don't exhibit exactly the behavior you're describing.

--Bill

Here's the output from 'netstat -nr'

KERNEL IP ROUTING TABLE

Destination    Gateway    Genmask    Flags    MSS  Window  irtt  IFace

127.0.0.0      0.0.0.0    255.0.0.0  U            0  0              0      0

Is this bad? I got a spare lan card, can I use that in the unraid box? It says realtek 8168C(P)/8111C(P). Will it work with unraid?

Here's the output from 'netstat -nr'

KERNEL IP ROUTING TABLE

Destination    Gateway    Genmask    Flags    MSS  Window   irtt   IFace

127.0.0.0      0.0.0.0     255.0.0.0   U             0  0              0       0

Is this bad? I got a spare lan card, can I use that in the unraid box? It says realtek 8168C(P)/8111C(P). Will it work with unraid?

Yep, bad.  The driver (if any) being selected for that card is either not there or not working correctly with the card.  You'll see  additional lines when it's actually working.  Something like this:

[Destination    Gateway    Genmask    Flags    MSS  Window  irtt  IFace

10.146.162.0    0.0.0.0        255.255.255.0  U        0 0          0 eth0

127.0.0.0      0.0.0.0        255.0.0.0      U        0 0          0 lo

0.0.0.0        10.146.162.33  0.0.0.0        UG        0 0          0 eth0

The last line would only be present if you had set a default gateway for outbound traffic to a router or equivalent.  However, you don't need that just for local machines talking to each other.  Also, if you do an 'ifconfig eth0' with no arguments the second line will look something like this:

inet addr:10.146.162.49  Bcast:10.146.162.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

But only if the interface is 'up' and working.

I don't know about the chip set on the card you're asking about.  It may or may not, so just give it a try.  There seems to be something squirrely with some of the drivers included in the 4.4.2 build.

--Bill

I tried with 4.5b as well, with the same results. If my lan port is not working with unraid, will using a router help?

No.  The router's basic function is to gain connectivity to the outside world, it can do nothing about a failed port on a system.  You have to find an interface card that will work on your system and is correctly supported by unRAID.  Check the hardware Wiki for possibilities.

Though it's not likely,  are there any BIOS settings in the motherboard having to do with ethernet connectivity or PCI ports that may be set incorrectly?  If the MB has built-in ethernet, that should be turned off in the BIOS, etc.

--Bill

I connected thru the router, and booted into windows on both machines. The lan port on the unraid PC is working fine. Why is unraid not working? :( And how do I try out a lan card? I tried disabling the onboard nic in bios, hoping unraid would pick up the lan card, but ifconfig did not show the eth entry.

I connected thru the router, and booted into windows on both machines. The lan port on the unraid PC is working fine. Why is unraid not working? :( And how do I try out a lan card? I tried disabling the onboard nic in bios, hoping unraid would pick up the lan card, but ifconfig did not show the eth entry.

This sounds like you had the on-board NIC enabled at the same time using the card?  You can't have two active NIC's.  Try removing your NIC card and turning on the onboard NIC, see if that works.  If the onboard is a Marvel chipset it might.

Whether or not it works on the same hardware in Windows isn't relevant (well, it rules out dead hardware I guess), since with unRAID you are running a different operating system and different device drivers.  Apples and Oranges.  You need to find a NIC that works in unRAID.

Look at the hardware Wiki for probable NIC's.  Is yours on that list?  (card or chipset).  You'll need to obtain one that is and try it to see.  But definitely keep the MB NIC off, and for that matter, serial and parallel ports too if not needed.

It's a PIA to be sure.  I tried a total of six cards and found one that worked if a SATA disk controller was NOT installed, and one other that seemed to work regardless.  That one was a PCI-e card D-Link DGE-560T with a Marvell chipset.  All the rest were PCI and played dead, even though they all contained what was supposed to be a compatible Realtek 8169S chip.  Go figure.

--Bill

This sounds like you had the on-board NIC enabled at the same time using the card?

No, I installed the lan card, disabled the onboard, and booted into unraid. Then ifconfig did not show the eth0 details. BTW, that lan card works fine in windows. Its a realtek 8168c. The mobo is an intel dg965.

This sounds like you had the on-board NIC enabled at the same time using the card?

No, I installed the lan card, disabled the onboard, and booted into unraid. Then ifconfig did not show the eth0 details. BTW, that lan card works fine in windows. Its a realtek 8168c. The mobo is an intel dg965.

Here are the listed compatible NICs.  I don't know if it's complete, but I do know that some cards listed don't work for other, and I've found at least one that works but isn't listed.

Network Controllers

* Atheros L1

* Broadcomm BCM5751 Gigabit PCIe x1

* D-Link DGE-528T Gigabit Ethernet (from v4.1)

* Intel 82566DC Gigabit LAN chipset

* Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

* Intel PRO/100 Ethernet

* Linksys LNE100TX

* Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet

* Netgear GA311 Gigabit Ethernet

* Realtek - RTL8169S, RTL8111B, RTL8111C, probably others too

* Others that use the same chipsets as the controllers above

From http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility#Network_Controllers

--Bill

Have you read this yet?

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ#Networking

Try typing ifconfig. You should get a response like this;

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1E:90:86:02:C2
          inet addr:192.168.1.102  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:6480685 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:9423824 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:6
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1950788200 (1.8 GiB)  TX bytes:1011715089 (964.8 MiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:292 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:292 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:42248 (41.2 KiB)  TX bytes:42248 (41.2 KiB)

Your motherboard as a DG965 has 3 similar listing in the motherboard list here;

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility#Motherboard

Those all list Intel 82566DC adapters so I expect yours should work.

At the command prompt type MC to start Midnight Commander.

Go up a directory and into the /boot/config

Pick the network.cfg file and hit F4 to edit it.

It should look like this;

# Generated network settings

USE_DHCP=yes

IPADDR=

NETMASK=

GATEWAY=

I have ^M after each line and it works fine but I don't think they have to be there.

Also, read here and capture a syslog and post it.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting#Capturing_your_syslog

Peter

can I connect the unraid box directly to my windows PC using a patch or a cross cable? What settings will I need to enter in the network adapter?

Yes, you can.  If connecting the two boxes is all you need, then you don't need a router, or a switch, or a DHCP server.

Here is what you do:

1. Plug the flash drive into your windows PC.

2. Go to folder "config" on the flash drive, and open the file "network.cfg" in Notepad.

3. Write the following there:

USE_DHCP=no

IPADDR=192.168.1.1

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

GATEWAY=

4. Save, quit Notepad, and use the "safely remove hardware" thingie before unplugging the flash disk.

5. Setup your PC to have a fixed IP address: 192.168.1.2 with netmask 255.255.255.0

(Start -> Settings -> Network Connectios -> Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties)

6. connect the two boxes with a network cable, plug the flash drive in the unRAID box, and start it.

Done.

On your PC, point your web browser to 192.168.1.1

You should be able to see your unRAID main web page.

If you don't see the unRAID main window, then please do the following two things:

1. From a dos box on the PC, type:  ipconfig /all

2. From the unRAID console (login:root ; no pass) type:  ifconfig -a

and post the results here so we can further help you.

Note: Most gigabit NICs don't need a cross-over cable.  They can detect the type of cable and adjust for it.

Make sure you use a good CAT-5e or CAT-6 network cable!

Good luck!

Purko

===============

Clarifications:

1. While writing the above post, I was kind of thinking about connecting the unraid to a windows PC.

But of course all of the above applies if you want to connect it to a MAC, or to any other OS.

2. Above I mentioned using the Windows Notepad for editing your "network.cfg".

Now it occured to me that this may cause a problem with the line-endings in the text file:

-- Windows uses (CR+LF) at the end of the lines;

-- Linux uses (LF);

-- Mac uses (CR).

So you need a text editor that can write its text files the Linux way. (Wordpad will do)

The reason I forgot about this small detail is because I use "Notepad2" on my windows PC, as a replacement for Notepad. It is a quite nice and smart little text editor. If you are interested, it can be found here:

http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

3. In the step-by-step guide above I used the number 192.168.1/24 just as an example. If you are already using this network number on another adapter, then you need to pick something else for your Unraid connection.

You can pick from any of the following reserved network ranges:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

For example, you can set up the unraid box as:

...and the lan adapter on your PC as:

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Added to the FAQ (link back only).  Feel free to edit or expand.

Can I connect my unRAID server directly to my PC?

I have linked the question directly to purko's post (2 above).  His instructions sound good, but I would like some confirmation of all the steps listed.  Also, what if they are already using the 192.168.0.* subnet, with the other NIC in the Windows machine?  Should there be a special note to avoid using a subnet already being used?