[Support] Linuxserver.io - Piwigo

3 hours ago, waltzin said:

I'm having the same issue as Major Tom, my Piwigo is still showing 2.9.5 with the latest update and I'm not getting the new features that 2.10 is supposed to have.

I tried changing to the latest tag but doesn't seem to have done anything(not sure if I did it correctly)

Also, the Dockerhub page is giving a 404 error atm.

If docker hub can't be reached from your server, you can't update the container, so that is probably the reason why you are still on an old version.

I'm going to answer that with a question and you will hopefully understand where to images are stored.
Where is you appdata folder located?

They’re stored in mnt/user/appdata/AppName

So yeah, I’d suppose pics are being stored in appdata. I look at Nextcloud for example and all its files are stored in mnt/user/Nextcloud. How would I change piwigo from storing images uploaded outside of appdata? If I recall Nextcloud has a extra parameter when it’s setup to define its uploads to be not stored in appdata folder. How would I change piwigo? Never the less restarted Unraid Server, because Unassigned Drive plugin update required restart, now piwigo just loads to a white screen lol. I did figure out the MariaDB IP got changed when server got restarted and tried to get it back on correct IP by stopping it, stopping container that had the IP needed, statically assigning MariaDB it’s initial IP back and restarting MariaDB on the correct IP and restarting piwigo but now it’s just flat borked so I guess lesson learned is assign static IP to MariaDB/MySQL databases?
8 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

They’re stored in mnt/user/appdata/AppName

So yeah, I’d suppose pics are being stored in appdata. I look at Nextcloud for example and all its files are stored in mnt/user/Nextcloud. How would I change piwigo from storing images uploaded outside of appdata? If I recall Nextcloud has a extra parameter when it’s setup to define its uploads to be not stored in appdata folder. How would I change piwigo? Never the less restarted Unraid Server, because Unassigned Drive plugin update required restart, now piwigo just loads to a white screen lol. I did figure out the MariaDB IP got changed when server got restarted and tried to get it back on correct IP by stopping it, stopping container that had the IP needed, statically assigning MariaDB it’s initial IP back and restarting MariaDB on the correct IP and restarting piwigo but now it’s just flat borked so emoji848.pngemoji2361.png I guess lesson learned is assign static IP to MariaDB/MySQL databases?

You are doing something wrong if the IP changed. Have you been using the internal docker network address? Don't use that. Use unraid IP:port (if you can specify port) or set your own IP, as I think you did. You have both on a custom bridge?

Might be your database got corrupted. Don't know without logs.

I don't know if you can specify the location for uploads. You have to consult the piwigo documentation to find that out.

You are doing something wrong if the IP changed. Have you been using the internal docker network address? Don't use that. Use unraid IP:port (if you can specify port) or set your own IP, as I think you did. You have both on a custom bridge?
Might be your database got corrupted. Don't know without logs.

I don't know if you can specify the location for uploads. You have to consult the piwigo documentation to find that out.

Well since I had had Piwigo on my reverse proxy, on “proxynet” I thought MariaDB had to be on “proxynet” too? So, for clarification, if something is on a UnraidIP:port it can be accessed by “proxynet” OR my subnet Unraid Server is on, defined as “br0”? Proxynet is 172.18.0.0/16 and Unraid Server is on 192.168.1.0/24? I didn’t know if I’d had MariaDB configured as “Host” it could’ve been on both networks?

Is their a way to setup a route in my pfSense firewall so the proxynet 172 network can be accessed as a part of any of the rest of my network or is that just in general “bad practice” because in event someone “hacked” my reverse proxy they’d have a route into rest of network?

Yeah super late my time, and I’m sure I got IPs straightened out and it *was* working so tomorrow I’ll try to sift in logs. I know both MariaDB and Piwigo will fully start as far as watching the startup logs.

Saarg, thank you for your help, I do most certainly appreciate your help. Your always active and answering questions and such so folks like myself can learn, so thanks, thanks a ton!
13 hours ago, blaine07 said:

Well since I had had Piwigo on my reverse proxy, on “proxynet” I thought MariaDB had to be on “proxynet” too? So, for clarification, if something is on a UnraidIP:port it can be accessed by “proxynet” OR my subnet Unraid Server is on, defined as “br0”? Proxynet is 172.18.0.0/16 and Unraid Server is on 192.168.1.0/24? I didn’t know if I’d had MariaDB configured as “Host” it could’ve been on both networks?

Is their a way to setup a route in my pfSense firewall so the proxynet 172 network can be accessed as a part of any of the rest of my network or is that just in general “bad practice” because in event someone “hacked” my reverse proxy they’d have a route into rest of network? emoji848.png

Yeah super late my time, and I’m sure I got IPs straightened out and it *was* working so tomorrow I’ll try to sift in logs. I know both MariaDB and Piwigo will fully start as far as watching the startup logs.

Saarg, thank you for your help, I do most certainly appreciate your help. Your always active and answering questions and such so folks like myself can learn, so thanks, thanks a ton! emoji846.png

As long as you don't set an IP for the container, you can still reach it on unraidIP:port even when it's on another custom bridge, as you proxynet.

You are correct in that both containers have to be on the same bridge to talk to each other. That's a security feature so containers can't talk to the host.

I don't think you can set up a route in pfsense to the internal docker network.

If you need mariadb in both the default bridge and in your proxynet, I think the best option is to set up one container in each bridge.

• Like 1
On 12/3/2019 at 7:40 PM, saarg said:

If docker hub can't be reached from your server, you can't update the container, so that is probably the reason why you are still on an old version.

Thanks saarg. 

It's still showing 404 error, do you know who I would advise to get fixed?

On 12/6/2019 at 7:49 PM, saarg said:

Your isp.

You get a 404 on hub.docker.com?

I Think the link in the opening post is wrong.  I tried the docker hub link in my docker settings and that worked.

I ended up updating Piwigo through the Piwigo gui settings and it seems to have worked. I'm now on 2.10 with the new features. Not sure if this is the correct way to do it with docker though.

1 hour ago, waltzin said:

I Think the link in the opening post is wrong.  I tried the docker hub link in my docker settings and that worked.

I ended up updating Piwigo through the Piwigo gui settings and it seems to have worked. I'm now on 2.10 with the new features. Not sure if this is the correct way to do it with docker though.

Yeah the link is wrong, I'll fix it, should be

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/piwigo/

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 11:42 PM, waltzin said:

I did the same and it did work. After a week I pulled new images including Piwigo and built new containers. After this I am still on 2.10.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tested these two options;

1)  this Piwigo docker, accessing a separated mariadb instance. Rather complex and slow loading large amounts of images.

2)  Piwigo, mariadb, nginx, php-fpm and CSF, all on 1 debian minimal VM.

Both instances of piwigo access the exact same folders from an unraid share with terabytes of imagefiles.

The second option performs noticeably faster, even without doing proper IO tests etc. The difference is so obvious, that I'm not even going to bother testing it with tools. Could be because I run unraid with a decent Xeon and 32GB RAM, but still; I don't see any advantage over docker instances for piwigo, and I just wanted to share that, because frankly, setting up piwigo in that VM was so much easier, other than maybe using a little fewer resources I don't understand what all the fuss on having it as a docker instance is about.

The SSL/TLS cert for NGINX is located in an Unraid Share with Unraid Mount tag in the VM. Same LetsEncrypt wildcard cert I use for the unraid UI. So no weird proxying or network complexities. Plus, a csf/lfd firewall in front of the piwigo server VM, allowing me to serve the stuff through my internet-router to the world.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Julius said:

I've tested these two options;

1)  the Piwigo docker with apache, accessing a separated mariadb instance. Rather complex and slow loading large amounts of images.

2)  Piwigo, mariadb, nginx, php-fpm and CSF on it, all on 1 debian minimal VM.

Both instances of piwigo access the exact same folders from an unraid share with terabytes of imagefiles.

The second option performs noticeably faster, even without doing proper IO tests etc. The difference is so large, that I'm not even going to bother testing it with tools. Could be because I run unraid with a decent Xeon and 32GB RAM, but still; I don't see any advantage over docker instances for piwigo, and I just wanted to share that, because frankly, setting up piwigo in that VM was so much easier, other than maybe using a little fewer resources I don't understand what all the fuss on having it as a docker instance is about.

The SSL/TLS cert for NGINX is located in an Unraid Share with Unraid Mount tag in the VM. Same LetsEncrypt wildcard cert I use for the unraid UI. So no weird proxying or network complexities. Plus, a csf/lfd firewall in front of the mysql and piwigo server, allowing me to serve the stuff through my internet-router to the world.

This container doesn't use Apache, but nginx. So if you didn't use this container I find it strange you are posting this here.

What might seem easy to you might not be as easy for others. For people not used to setting up a VM with all the requirements, this docker is easier.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, saarg said:

This container doesn't use Apache, but nginx. So if you didn't use this container I find it strange you are posting this here.

What might seem easy to you might not be as easy for others. For people not used to setting up a VM with all the requirements, this docker is easier.

Oh I wasn't even checking. I thought it did use apache, since I saw that being mentioned somewhere. I'll edit my post, because that part was irrelevant anyway. It's not the apache vs nginx that makes the VM better (for me).

• 3 weeks later...

Wondering if someone can help me out with videos? I got videojs, localfiles (allow files with all extensions), and ffmpeg/mediainfo installed but I cannot figure out how to actually upload video. The web uploader doesn't take them. The tutorials seem to suggest that they have to be put in a local dir and then synced through videojs. But I can't figure out where do they go?

EDIT: Ok I figured it out, they have to go in galleries/folder and then if you run quick sync they will get picked up. Still struggling with getting it to do auto thumbnails.

EDIT2: The piwigo forum has the answer: http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=175041 I did this and I was able to generate thumbnails as well.

Edited by bonzi
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Even though I created a new "Path" Variable and set the Container Path to /config/www/gallery/galleries/ in the docker, this is still uploading photos.  I'm assuming this is making duplicate copies of my photos off of my array and uploading them to the appdata/piwigo? 

Is there anyway to just point the docker to my Photo share and let it just pick from there to create the albums, etc?

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 1/27/2020 at 4:05 PM, bonzi said:

Wondering if someone can help me out with videos? I got videojs, localfiles (allow files with all extensions), and ffmpeg/mediainfo installed but I cannot figure out how to actually upload video. The web uploader doesn't take them. The tutorials seem to suggest that they have to be put in a local dir and then synced through videojs. But I can't figure out where do they go?

EDIT: Ok I figured it out, they have to go in galleries/folder and then if you run quick sync they will get picked up. Still struggling with getting it to do auto thumbnails.

EDIT2: The piwigo forum has the answer: http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=175041 I did this and I was able to generate thumbnails as well.

Hi @bonzi !

I hope you'll see my post here...! Or anyone having a solution for me

I'm struggling with videos in piwigo.

I don't know how to intall : FFmpeg, ffprobe, mediainfo, exiftool.. as it is required to handle videos correctly. Should I install new docker containers and link them to the piwigo container? Should all this be installed on the Unraid system ?

All I want to do is fill those fields

Fw27Z07.png

I'm lost for now :(

On 5/18/2020 at 4:10 AM, guilhem31 said:

Hi @bonzi !

I hope you'll see my post here...! Or anyone having a solution for me

I'm struggling with videos in piwigo.

I don't know how to intall : FFmpeg, ffprobe, mediainfo, exiftool.. as it is required to handle videos correctly. Should I install new docker containers and link them to the piwigo container? Should all this be installed on the Unraid system ?

All I want to do is fill those fields

Fw27Z07.png

I'm lost for now :(

Hi, as far as I remember they are part of the docker, I think the green check marks indicate you have them installed. Look in the /usr/bin or equivalent directory to be sure. If they aren't there then install them.

31 minutes ago, bonzi said:

Hi, as far as I remember they are part of the docker, I think the green check marks indicate you have them installed. Look in the /usr/bin or equivalent directory to be sure. If they aren't there then install them.

Ok I'll look a it then ;)
Seemed to easy to be true ! haha

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having some issues getting this set up.

I installed mySQL as the database server with what I think are the correct parameters.

After entering everything in Piwigo's initial setup for database configuration I get a "Cannot connect to server" message. Though I'm pretty sure everything in there is right - at least as far as I know.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Since there doesn't seem to be an all-in-one  tutorial on the web.

Linking shares to container

Step 1 - permitted characters:

Piwigo doesn't like spaces and non-englisch characters. Your filenames are probably filled with them. If not, skip.

Start Piwigo and go to plugins and install "Local files editor".

Open this editor and in "local configuration" find

$conf['sync_chars_regex'] = '/^[a-zA-Z0-9-_.]+$/';

You can add or remove chracter to fit your needs. As long as you mind the UTF-8 encoding.

Latin languages $conf['sync_chars_regex'] = '/^[(a-zA-Z0-9-_.+&áéíóúàãõ@ )]+$/';

Germans $conf['sync_chars_regex'] ='/^[(a-zA-Z0-9-_.ÄäÖöÜüß@ )]+$/';

Etc

Keep your filenames civil and don't anger the html guys. & # ' " can be troublesome.

Special characters are also dependant on your os.

You'll find out in step 3.

Step 2 - make the link in unraid:

Add a path in the docker config.

image.png.b82a578115f5a58f8adf25ba0f2db386.png

Step 3 - sync the files/folders inside Piwigo:

Go to admin > tools > synchronize

This part is self explanatory. Don't forget to turn of simulation.

Edited by dee2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious here, but I was having issues publishing photos from Shotwell on my Linux desktop to my Piwigo instance

After some Googling, I discovered that I needed to make the following changes to /config/php/php-local.ini:

date.timezone = Australia/Thargominda;        *****  your timezone here of course
post_max_size = 32M;
upload_max_filesize = 32M

This has fixed my problem, which was manifested as a strange protocol error during the upload.  Obviously, if you upload photos that don't exceed the standard POST size, you won't have problems.  For instance photos from my Samsung phone weren't an issue, but photos from my Canon 70D were.

Edited by Russell_C
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been asked (didn't see it if it was): I have a large photo collection already on my Unraid server in its own directory. Is there a way to link Piwigo to just look there and populate its database with those photos instead of uploading them all again?

Update: I found references to creating a symlink for galleries to where my photos are, which I did, but I keep getting the error: [./galleries/] PWG-ERROR-NO-FS (File/directory read error)

It looks like this might be due to conflicting ownership and permissions of the symlink and directory and files, however per suggestions online everything matches (ownership is set to nobody:users and permissions set to 777). Any suggestions?

Edited by thunderclap