Which SATA extension card?

rikdegraaff

Hi All,

I have a nice unRAID server working here.

But all the (6) slots on my motherboard are in use...

Now I read in the unRAID wiki that not every PCI Sata extension card works with unRAID.

Am I right?

Well, I live in the Netherlands, so were can I get an unRAID-compatible card for more Sata slots?

I hope this question is posted in the right category, otherwise please move it  ;)

Greetings, Rik

PS. I have unRAID Server Pro version: 5.0

First, if your system has PCIe slots, you want to get a PCIe extension card, NOT a PCI card.  The PCI bus is very bandwidth limited ... if that's all you have available then it's best to only connect 2 drives to an add-in card, even if it has 4 ports (4 will work, but the attached drives will work slower than possible whenever more than 2 are active - i.e. during parity checks, drive rebuilds, etc.).

Confirm which type of card you need and we can suggest specific models.

You have one PCI slot and one PCIe x1 slot, and one PCIe x16 slot.  As long as the x16 slot is available (i.e. you're not using it for a graphics card), then I'd get an 8-port SATA card like the SAS2LP-MV8 [ http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SAS2LP-MV8.cfm ]

The x16 slot will always be available, because I don't want a graphics card in my server.

I hope the card that you mentioned, is available in the Netherlands...

Otherwise I need an other one...

EDIT: He is available in the Netherlands, but the price, whoa 140 Euro's...

Aren't there cheaper cards with 8 slots?

... He is available in the Netherlands, but the price, whoa 140 Euro's...

Aren't there cheaper cards with 8 slots?

There's an earlier generation of the card [sASLP-MV8] that works fine ... see what that costs over there.  Otherwise, you just need to see what 4 or 8 port cards are available at your supplier for a price that's more in line with what you want to pay.

Okay I found both of your suggested cards, and over here they cost (both) around the 140 euro's.

I am going to look if there are cheaper cards over here, and if I found some card, I will state that in this topic, to check if they are compatible with unRAID.

Many thanks,

Rik

EDIT2: I just found this one: HighPoint RocketRAID 2680SGL .

Does this card work with unRAID??

EDIT: Nope, nothing here that is cheaper. Then I'll go for the first card AOC-SAS2LP-MV8.

Thanks for the support!

I can't say for sure about that specific card, but it uses the same Marvell 88SE6485 chip that the AOL-SASLP-MV8 uses, so I'd certainly think it will work just fine.

Now I am doubting...

The more expensive card, I mean the SAS2LP-MV8, is that card 100% supported with unRAID?

And how is it with my drives, can that card take up to 3TB disks?

Because I don't want to buy a cheaper card, and in the end, a not working card...

I hope you can answer these two questions.

Many thanks for all the support!

Gr. Rik

Either of the cards should work => and they will support any size disk you want to buy ... 3TB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB, or even larger.

Okay thank you.

Sorry, but due to my autism, I am very anxious of buying the wrong card.

So I need a clear answer, which of the three will work?

I'm sorry for all those questions, but I can't afford me to buy a wrong card...

A few folks have had some issues with the newer AOL-SAS2LP-MV8 card, so it may be "safer" to get the AOL-SASLP-MV8.

Since the RocketRAID 2680SGL uses the same SATA chip as the SASLP-MV8 it SHOULD work just as well ... but I've found several threads that indicate folks have had significant issues with that card, so I'd avoid it.

To be safe, you should probably only buy a controller that's on the UnRAID compatibility list for controllers (be sure you only look at the PCIe controllers -- you do NOT want a PCI or PCI-X version):

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#PCI_SATA_Controllers

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the bump!

I have finally received my Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 extension card.

Now I have 2 ports on the card, with descriptions PORT0~3 and PORT4~7.

But which cable do I need to get 4 SATA cables out of 1 port on the card?

Can someone tell me that?

Thanks,

Rik

8087 forward breakout

Won't he have to flash the older firmware to disable the RAID feature...? Its important to know which firmware the card you got has.

Post says he has an SAS2LP which doesn't have the raid feature.  Should work out of the box.  Disable INT13 if there's problems booting, but that's all.