Asrock E3C224D4I-14S into Silverstone DS380?

You shouldn't need a CPU with embedded GPU, since the board has a built-in video chip that SHOULD support a display connected to the DSub connector.  I have no idea why that's not working, unless it's disabled when you have an active IPMI connection (since it's that chip also generates the IPMI video).  Be sure you don't have an active IPMI client and see if you get video then.

By the way, a PCIe x16 card SHOULD work fine in the PCIe x8 slot on the board.    The slot looks like it's open-ended, so an x16 board can be plugged in -- and it should work just fine, albeit at x8 speed.

Sorry for the late reply but I was busy reshuffling my server landscape.

Gary, what you commented was my understanding as well. When I switched it on the first time I was able to get access at least via IPMI. Meanwhile that isn't working anymore, I'm afraid that I have to RMA that board.

Minor remark: "PCIe x16 card SHOULD work fine in the PCIe x8 slot on the board" as long as the X8 slot is open at the end  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that this is going to work. Please have a look at the pictures. I didn't ordered the PUS not yet and I think that this is the deal breaker...the mainboard is overlapping the space where the PSU is sitting.

EDIT: I can't add more pictures...annoying, this is the message: "Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 192 KB." and my Macfinder is showing a size of 91kb.

I got the E3C224D4I-14S to fit inside the DS380, by drilling new motherboard stand offs. http://i.imgur.com/Jl1JzDb.jpg

See my build log here.

• 2 weeks later...

The new board has arrived. Getting messages at my screen this time: "System Initializing" and that's basically it. No BIOS or UEFI screen. I have no luck with this board

Meanwhile also no access via IPMI. Need to talk to the dealer tomorrow.

Looking at the board it looks like it has the same bios reset as mine. No jumper pins but 2 half moon solder points you make contact with a flat head screw driver. Did you try resetting the bios? Also if the bios is an older version it can take a very very long time to boot.

Dear all, the board is working now.....I changed the memory.

unRAID is booting and fully functional but I recognized some strange behavior: BIOS is only showing 4 out of 5 Toshiba drives. One Toshiba drive, the two WD RED's and the Samsung SSD cache drive are hidden. However, unRAID is showing all drives.

Some more information:

• I connected the backplane to #13 & #15 (see manual pg. 6/7). It seems that LSI controller is attached to #15 & #21 and the mobo ports to #13 and the two blue SATA ports. Can anyone confirm?
  • I have NOT flashed the LSI controller

I'm traveling the next days and will post some pictures afterwards.

IMG_1027.jpg.bf8f5813ce19873da539f20c532d67d7.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg.ce68ade0ad87690da1d15ba7e7acd457.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg.e36d131abbe03561e7ecac8ab5b71473.jpg

Sounds like it may be "picky" on memory ... although it's also possible it just wasn't seated securely and removing it and replacing it did the trick.

Not sure why all your drives aren't showing in the BIOS ... are they by chance shown in two different locations based on which controller they're connected to ?

In any event, good that all's well ... I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip more knowing that you don't have that issue to come home to  :)

In any event, good that all's well ... I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip more knowing that you don't have that issue to come home to  :)

Well said Gary :-) you are spot on!!

You won't believe but the first dealer sold me wrong memory...I'm using 4GB from my backup server now and all is well. As soon as the new memory arrives, I will make some photos and post it here. I also have to work on the air flow so that fresh air is entirely going through the disks.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have been following this and many other threads on making this motherboard and case combination work together, and in the absence of a consistent and reliable solution, I have designed a bracket that will allow a Flex-ATX power supply to be mounted in the SFX bay.  There are two potential mounting options available by rotating the bracket, using the power supply support rail built into the chassis or a rail integral to the bracket.

Here is a screenshot:

ibAn772

I am working with Protocase, well-known maker of one-off and custom cases and other hardware, to get a quote for production of this part.  I expect it to be somewhere in the $80-100 range for a single unit, plus a one-time setup fee.  This price would go down with an increased number of units, thus making this an ideal opportunity for a group buy.

Would anyone be interested in pursuing a group buy for this part?

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all, the board is working now.....I changed the memory.

unRAID is booting and fully functional but I recognized some strange behavior: BIOS is only showing 4 out of 5 Toshiba drives. One Toshiba drive, the two WD RED's and the Samsung SSD cache drive are hidden. However, unRAID is showing all drives.

Man, I know this board inside and out. A. It doesn't matter that you have no video on the xeon chip, as the board has an asmedia vga chip. You need to flash the lsi firmware to whatever latest, non-raid. I don't know if I'm confusing this board with the c2550 but one of the two has storage shit in two different places, one on the main settings menu, then a few tabs over there is an Intel North and South Bridge menus, one of them has more storage info. I've also had the "Loading" error, but only after updating FW and Baseband, then not letting it "settle" also, remember that one of the SAS plugs (the one closest to the USB plug inside) is Sata only, along with the two ports on the board. In a previous build I had 8x 4TB Reds in the Sleds on the SAS Ports (SAS works with Sata but not the other way), plus another 4 SSDs in the 2.5 cage, I wasn't using the pci at the moment, so I hung my 450 Sfx sideways with thumbscrews. Lol. But seriously, I raged out and used implements of mass destruction on my first DS380, the SATA plugs and Capacitors will literally fall off that stupid backplane. ONLY use Sata cables that have the "clips" for unplugging them or you are in for a real treat. And I never will figure out why they made that stupid thing with Dual Channel SAS connections on it, as they were very rarely used on anything.

If you need help or info, I'm the Asrock Rack Know it All, I love the neat stuff they make, and I tinker way too much.

• 3 weeks later...

You are right, I might need to update that but upfront: I ended up buying 2x 8GB Hynix modules. Here is the part number: HMT41GE7AFR8A-PB. These are expensive modules but I needed low profile modules that leave enough room for the CPU fan.

Net, net: I would buy this mainboard again but I would not recommend the DS380 case. Too small and the airflow is a desaster. So better using a larger case. As a result all components would run much cooler and the whole thing would be much more silent. But others might think differently.....

• 3 weeks later...

Would there be any speed or other benefits to flashing LSI to IT mode versus just leaving the LSI controller set in its default raid mode? If anyone knows the answer to this I would appreciate it, as I'm almost done with my build and excited to share the story and pics soon. While it has been said that everything works in both configurations, I just wanted to know if there were any benefits in using the LSI in raid mode vs IT mode? Thanks in advance.