Could not load host key

I am experiencing a few issues since upgrading to 6.1 (you will see my other threads).

When booting up, I am getting several error messages around not being able to load host key such as "Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key key_load_public: invalid format" and many other also related to host key (dsa_key, ecdsa_key, etc).

Any idea?

As he said, there's no reference to it anywhere in the diagnostics.  I expected to see a docker or plugin involved, but there's no evidence of any plugins loaded and the docker system is disabled.  Somewhere, there is a security subsystem or an authentication subsystem or an encryption subsystem that is not working right, but if you don't run into any problems, then it's harmless, something you aren't using.  Turn off anything you don't use, like AFP or NFS.

The only thing I saw were some I/O errors just before you downloaded the diagnostics, possible issues with sdd, Disk 5.  May be nothing, inconclusive.

As he said, there's no reference to it anywhere in the diagnostics.  I expected to see a docker or plugin involved, but there's no evidence of any plugins loaded and the docker system is disabled.  Somewhere, there is a security subsystem or an authentication subsystem or an encryption subsystem that is not working right, but if you don't run into any problems, then it's harmless, something you aren't using.  Turn off anything you don't use, like AFP or NFS.

The only thing I saw were some I/O errors just before you downloaded the diagnostics, possible issues with sdd, Disk 5.  May be nothing, inconclusive.

Thanks Rob. I don't have any dockers and uninstalled all plugins.

I think both issues (host key and I/O error) may have something to do with AFP (Time Machine)? You are right that I had severe problems with Disk 5 (I/O error, cannot read or write to the disk, unmounts after a while). Also, the host key error was always there upon start. I believe both errors started to happen when the Time Machine backup kicked in.

Right now, neither the error is there nor does the I/O error re-occur. I still have AFP enabled, but it is currently not doing any backup activity.

The host key error may not be relevant (except that it bothers me), while the I/O error is very disturbing as the disk became unsusable. I actualy thought the disk is faulty, but it is now working well again. Very weird. Also weird that it is just one out of the 13 disks that is having this issue. And the "/I/O error disk" is not the one that it is backing up on...

Any thoughts? You think it could be related to the AFP backup activity? Any other ideas?

Sorry, quick correction. the I/O error may (?) have disappeared and may (?) have been related to AFP .

However, the host key error is still there and actually there are dozens of error messages upon starting Unraid (corrupt, reducing speed, host key, etc.). There are so many errors that it is hard to write them all down. Let me attached a new diagnostic info.

Do you think this may be related to a faulty disk? Or rather to a corrupt flash drive? The issue exists since updating from 6.1RC2 to 6.1.

tower-diagnostics-20150904-1338.zip

I am now trying to figure out whether the flash disk is the issue. That's what I exactly suspect as things are out of order since the upgrade to 6.1, for which I took the flash disk out of my computer.

Unfortunately, I do not have a windows based machine, so cannot run chkdsk. I tried on Mac, but somewhat this did not work. I also found this link below, but Unraid says that "unmount" is not a known command. Any thoughts?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=34266.msg318661#msg318661

Thanks in advance!

Thanks. Fair point, I shoudl have looked more closely. Just tried umount, but not giving me any error messages. Assume the errors then must come from a faulty array drive? It is a bit of a pain, but probably need to unplug all 14 disks and then see whether the errors go away. Alternative suggestions welcome!

I don't see anything in your syslog. If you were having a flash problem or a disk problem it would probably be there.

Also, many things that do show up in syslog that look like they might be errors are just the result of unRAID trying to figure out your hardware when it boots.

Where are you seeing these errors, on the console? Are you actually experiencing any problems other than these messages?

I don't see anything in your syslog. If you were having a flash problem or a disk problem it would probably be there.

Also, many things that do show up in syslog that look like they might be errors are just the result of unRAID trying to figure out your hardware when it boots.

Where are you seeing these errors, on the console? Are you actually experiencing any problems other than these messages?

Thanks for helping on this issue. It is a good question whether there are actually any issues. One disk did not work yesterday (I/O error when trying to copy to or from it followed by disappearing and not being accessible at all until reboot). This issue is gone though by now. No idea whether it will come back and what has caused it. I have unplugged the disk, but the error messages are still there.

Yes, the error messages come up in the console upon start, restart and shut-down. They go away too fast, so I cannot read all of them. For sure, there are the following (replicable as every time upon reboot):

could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key

key_load_public: invalid format

could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key

could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ed25519_key

sshd_no hostkey available -- exiting

Doesn't support (...)

Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key

ssd: no process found

mount: cannot find /in/etc/fstab or /etc/mtab (...)

ERROR transfer event (...)

I am attaching another diagnostic, which I took just now. All these error messages are new since the upgrade. If not faulty drive or corruption, could this be related to the upgrade to 6.1?

Thanks again!!!

tower-diagnostics-20150904-2258.zip

I am also getting plenty of error messages when shutting down Unraid. Among others, I am seeing "can't find in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab". Any thoughts? You think the issue is Flash / Upgrade related or a faulty disk?

I'm pretty sure those are quite normal, completely harmless, as the kernel shuts down.  I think anyone with a console probably sees those on shutdown.

My feeling is it's not a problem with the 6.1 upgrade itself, no one else seems to have the same problems, but not sure what it is.  I would check the Files on flash drive section of the upgrade guide, as remnants of older versions can cause very strange problems.

These key files are copied from the flash drive during startup. You can rename or remove the config/ssh directory on the flash drive, then reboot and unRAID will generate new key files. This should take care of these error messages, but it will also make the server look different to any SSH clients.

Don't know how the files became invalid, maybe points to corrupt flash drive.

These key files are copied from the flash drive during startup. You can rename or remove the config/ssh directory on the flash drive, then reboot and unRAID will generate new key files. This should take care of these error messages, but it will also make the server look different to any SSH clients.

Don't know how the files became invalid, maybe points to corrupt flash drive.

Thanks for your message. I am not at my server now, bu will look into it soon. Can you elaborate more on implications of deleting this directory. What are SSH clients? Does it matter that it looks different?

Could this also be the reason for some of the other errors (e.g., "mount: cannot find /in/etc/fstab or /etc/mtab")?

Thanks!

Can you elaborate more on implications of deleting this directory. What are SSH clients? Does it matter that it looks different?

SSH is a way to log in to the server from another computer (client) and get a command prompt. Like telnet but newer and more secure. If you haven't used ssh then deleting the directory will not matter. If you have used ssh you might get some warnings when you try to login over ssh again.

Thanks, I keep on having issues (although now updated from 6.1 to 6.1.2). Related to the host key error may be that I can no longer SSH via Putty and also not use WinSCP (see http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42857.0 and also http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42846.0 for diagnostic files).

I really hope that I can get this working agani. Do you think downgrading to 6.0 may be a solution? Or a new USB stick?

Thanks, I keep on having issues (although now updated from 6.1 to 6.1.2). Related to the host key error may be that I can no longer SSH via Putty and also not use WinSCP (see http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42857.0 and also http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42846.0 for diagnostic files).

Definitely related. You need valid ssh host keys to do anything over ssh. Did you rename or remove the config/ssh directory on the flash drive and then reboot?

Do you think downgrading to 6.0 may be a solution?

No.

Or a new USB stick?

Maybe. Especially if you continue to see problems with files stored on the usb stick.

Definitely related. You need valid ssh host keys to do anything over ssh. Did you rename or remove the config/ssh directory on the flash drive and then reboot?

I tried to remove, but did not reboot (and then added the folder back as it had no impact). Let me remove and reboot. Maybe that's what will help. Will keep this thead updated.

• 11 months later...