Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares

dlandon

• 1 month later...

I have just moved a deleted folder out of the .recycle.bin folder on a share using Windows 10. But now every one of those files is corrupt and won't open (seems files just padded out with NULLS to get file size). Why would this happen and what can I do about it? I'm concerned that this means all my .recycle.bin files are corrupt across all shares. I suppose I should go and delete all those and start again? Luckily I do also have an online backup (hopefully that hasn't failed also) but that will take forever to re-download all the files ... wishing I had tested restoring before I needed it!

Edited by alaw005
Add more detail about corrupted files
19 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Never seen or had any reports of the recycle bin doing that.  I suspect the files were corrupted when they were deleted.

Thank you, didn't think of that. I did move a significant number of files around the other day so maybe something I did then. What might cause the files to corrupt like this? If I am restoring files from online backup but subsequently delete a restored file, will the deleted file replace any previously deleted (possibly corrupt) files in the .recycle.bin or is that something I can set?

1 hour ago, alaw005 said:

Thank you, didn't think of that. I did move a significant number of files around the other day so maybe something I did then. What might cause the files to corrupt like this?

Easiest way is if you move from a disk share to a user share (ie from /mnt/diskx/shareY/file to /mnt/user/shareY/file)

Edited by Squid
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

don't know what i'm doing wrong, but recycle bin does not work for my 2 unraid servers.

my settings for recycle below, (note i have disabled recycle bin in this picture)

here's what's happening, 

i'm running windows 10 on VM and when i delete a test file on server mapped drives in windows.  the file is gone, nothing shows up in recycle bin.  this to me is pretty simple operation, but it's not working.

hope someone can shed light on what i'm doing wrong.

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 3.32.27 PM.png

26 minutes ago, Spazhead said:

don't know what i'm doing wrong, but recycle bin does not work for my 2 unraid servers.

my settings for recycle below, (note i have disabled recycle bin in this picture)

here's what's happening, 

i'm running windows 10 on VM and when i delete a test file on server mapped drives in windows.  the file is gone, nothing shows up in recycle bin.  this to me is pretty simple operation, but it's not working.

hope someone can shed light on what i'm doing wrong.

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 3.32.27 PM.png

Post diagnostics.

12 minutes ago, Spazhead said:

It can take up to several minutes for a deleted file to show in the recycle bin.  The refresh runs in the background to keep the gui responsive.  You can browse to the recycle bin directly to check for the file.

\\Tower\share\.Recycle.Bin

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

It can take up to several minutes for a deleted file to show in the recycle bin.  The refresh runs in the background to keep the gui responsive.  You can browse to the recycle bin directly to check for the file.

\\Tower\share\.Recycle.Bin

i understand that, but i delete hundreds of files daily and when it was running for a week without purging,  recycle bin was still empty, files sizes range from 1k to 20GB that are deleted. i must have something broken or some support files not installed.

thanks

8 minutes ago, Spazhead said:

i understand that, but i delete hundreds of files daily and when it was running for a week without purging,  recycle bin was still empty, files sizes range from 1k to 20GB that are deleted. i must have something broken or some support files not installed.

thanks

Are you deleting the files via an smb connection? And do you have smb extras properly configured?

17 minutes ago, Spazhead said:

thanks

You have the age days set to 1 and you purge daily.  The files deleted that day will be removed from the recycle bin the next day.

10 minutes ago, Spazhead said:

i think i know the problem now, i'm allowing access to the 'rootshare' so that i can move files easily from one share to another, and i dont think recycle bin recognize the rootshare as a shared SMB, anyway you can make that happen?

thanks

The recycle bin only works on smb shares.  I can't change that.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with the plugin. 
After deleting a test folder and file, it shows in the log (I enabled 'Log deleted files').

It doesn't show the .Recycle.Bin folder on any of my shares.

I deleted the test folder and file from a windows 10 PC which had the share mapped as network drive.

I also cannot figure out how to navigate to the mentioned "//Tower/share/.Recycle.Bin.". I assumed the name Tower has to be changed to the name i've set on my server, and the name of my share in the '/share/' part.

I cannot figure out why it will not create and/or add deleted files to the recycle bin.

PS: the 'show hidden folders' option is checked in Windows Explorer.

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by dEAd0

Go to Settings->Recycle Bin and click on 'Shares', then click on the folder with the magnifying glass and you can browse the share Recycle Bin.

To navigate to the Recycle Bin in Windows enter '//Tower/share/.Recycle.Bin' in the browser bar of the navigator.  Replace 'Tower' with your server name.

• dlandon changed the title to Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares