Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares

dlandon

Quick question, why does it say in the logs:

Enabling the Recycle Bin on share 'TempDrive'

When this share is an Unassigned Devices share, and it's currently set to not turn on the recycle bin for unassigned devices? I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue and wondering if it has to do with the Recycle Bin plugin.

Edit: Oops, did not realize you're the same dev as unassigned devices. Sorry.

Edited by constellation
55 minutes ago, constellation said:

Quick question, why does it say in the logs:

Enabling the Recycle Bin on share 'TempDrive'

When this share is an Unassigned Devices share, and it's currently set to not turn on the recycle bin for unassigned devices? I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue and wondering if it has to do with the Recycle Bin plugin.

Edit: Oops, did not realize you're the same dev as unassigned devices. Sorry.

It was a problem in UD.  I've released a fix.

On 6/9/2019 at 11:33 AM, dlandon said:

Remove the spaces.  "appdata,system,AppDataBackup,Downloads"

Thanks for this plugin. I've just installed this, did a couple of quick tests and it seems nice :)

Would it be possible to update the 'help text' in the app next time you do an update to illustrate the appropriate syntax? The only example given is a single share.

I've also noticed that a few people have asked 'why doesn't it work when [not using SMB/Samba]?'. Another idea might be to make that a bit more obvious in the settings. I didn't realise this either but i worked it out by myself pretty quickly.

Just ideas humbly presented for your consideration :)

Goodday,

Im fairly new to Linux & Unraid in particular. Im seeing the warnings posted below in my syslog's. should I take action or investigate this further?

Feb 16 11:51:58 Nasbak Recycle Bin: Stopping Recycle Bin
Feb 16 11:52:00 Nasbak wsdd[3938]: set_multicast: Failed to set IPv4 multicast
Feb 16 11:52:00 Nasbak wsdd[3938]: Failed to add multicast for WSDD: Address already in use
Feb 16 11:52:03 Nasbak Recycle Bin: Starting Recycle Bin
Feb 16 11:52:06 Nasbak wsdd[4153]: set_multicast: Failed to set IPv4 multicast
Feb 16 11:52:06 Nasbak wsdd[4153]: Failed to add multicast for WSDD: Address already in use

nasbak-diagnostics-20200216-1138.zip

Edited by wymond
4 hours ago, wymond said:

Goodday,

Im fairly new to Linux & Unraid in particular. Im seeing the warnings posted below in my syslog's. should I take action or investigate this further?

Feb 16 11:51:58 Nasbak Recycle Bin: Stopping Recycle Bin
Feb 16 11:52:00 Nasbak wsdd[3938]: Failed to add multicast for WSDD: Address already in use
Feb 16 11:52:03 Nasbak Recycle Bin: Starting Recycle Bin
Feb 16 11:52:06 Nasbak wsdd[4153]: Failed to add multicast for WSDD: Address already in use

nasbak-diagnostics-20200216-1138.zip 203.16 kB · 0 downloads

Other than notifications of the Recycle Bin being started and stopped, those log entries are not from the Recycle Bin.  Appears to be network issues with wsdd.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Thanks to a youtube video I have been made aware of this plugin, even though I have been running two unraid servers for 5+ years! 😄  

I have been reading through and found conflicting reports about the mover does/does not move .recycle.bin

I would prefer the .recycle.bin to either stay on the cache drive until the 7 day timer is up or be written directly to the array, basically I do not want the mover to be moving from cache to the array. 

Can anyone let me know the current situation with this please?

Many Thanks 🙂

12 hours ago, mbc0 said:

I would prefer the .recycle.bin to either stay on the cache drive until the 7 day timer is up or be written directly to the array, basically I do not want the mover to be moving from cache to the array. 

The .Recycle.Bin files are handled the same as the share files.  It cannot be made to operate differently than the share with respect to the cache mover.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all, 

I'm having trouble getting this plugin to work.

The Recycling bin folder isn't created on any of my shares (I thought it would be a permission case, but when i checked one of my public shares (i.e My Media share) it still wasn't created), thus files that I'm doing a test delete isn't being saved/created on there.

I've checked the settings, and it looks to be fine from what I see.

I tried to create the actual folder itself (mkdir //tower/share/.Recycle.Bin), but i think it's being recognized as a regular folder, so it still wouldn't save any deletes there.

Here is my current settings:

image.thumb.png.b733b0beaf787b90cb05e1ee7632248e.png

I'll also attach the diagnostics, so it'll be easier for you guys to determine what i'm missing or screwed up on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

bigboi-diagnostics-20200506-2113.zip

22 hours ago, Speedy905 said:

Evening all, 

I'm having trouble getting this plugin to work.

The Recycling bin folder isn't created on any of my shares (I thought it would be a permission case, but when i checked one of my public shares (i.e My Media share) it still wasn't created), thus files that I'm doing a test delete isn't being saved/created on there.

I've checked the settings, and it looks to be fine from what I see.

I tried to create the actual folder itself (mkdir //tower/share/.Recycle.Bin), but i think it's being recognized as a regular folder, so it still wouldn't save any deletes there.

Here is my current settings:

image.thumb.png.b733b0beaf787b90cb05e1ee7632248e.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16

I'll also attach the diagnostics, so it'll be easier for you guys to determine what i'm missing or screwed up on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

bigboi-diagnostics-20200506-2113.zip 124.26 kB · 0 downloads

You are using 'smb encrypt' in the smb-extra.conf file.  I have not tested this to see if it has any affect on the recycle bin operation.

14 hours ago, dlandon said:

You are using 'smb encrypt' in the smb-extra.conf file.  I have not tested this to see if it has any affect on the recycle bin operation.

Hello again,

So I did some testing on my end, and I got it to work, here's what I've found/learned:

1. It'll still work on smb encrypt

2. To do test deletions, it has to be a file that is already on the share for at least 15-20 mins. (Which is probably why I thought I couldn't get it to work in the first place)

Thanks again. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Edit ->  Ignore my post.   I'm a complete idiot.  I didn't realize I had to go to Plugins -> Click on the Trash Can Icon and then turn it on.  Duh!

Please excuse my ignorance on this one, but I'm having some issues getting this to work.  I installed the plugin (v2020.02.27).   From File Explorer on a Windows 10 machine I deleted a file I didn't need from my \\tower\Music Videos share.  However, I'm unable to find a \\tower\Music Videos\.Recycle.Bin or any other hidden folder within the \\tower\Music Videos folder.

Am I looking in the wrong place?   I saw the screenshot above and don't see the Recycle.Bin under my list of user shares.  Does that need to be created manually?

Edited by Spyderturbo007
  • 1 month later...

New release of Recycle Bin.  If you are using the Recycle Bin on 6.9 Beta 24, you will notice that deleted files are logged to the syslog as well as the smb log used by Recycle Bin to show deleted files.  This is due to a change in the syslog settings.  If you are doing a lot of deleting on a SMB share, you might want to exclude that share from the Recycle Bin so the Syslog doesn't fill with file deleted messages.

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody
Why does the Recycle bin Plugin not work with the rootshare?
Because when I delete something in the rootshare it is not moved to the trash, but really deleted.
If I delete something in a "normal" share it will be moved to the trash.
Do I overlook a configuration or is this the expected behaviour of the plugin?

1 hour ago, TechDevil84 said:

Hello everybody
Why does the Recycle bin Plugin not work with the rootshare?
Because when I delete something in the rootshare it is not moved to the trash, but really deleted.
If I delete something in a "normal" share it will be moved to the trash.
Do I overlook a configuration or is this the expected behaviour of the plugin?

The plugin only works with things you delete over the network with SMB. It is basically using a built-in feature of SMB.

7 hours ago, BRiT said:

What "rootshare" ?

Hey BRiT

I mean the rootshare from that SpaceinvadernOne explanatory video.

How to setup a root share in unRAID, 1 share to rule them all! 2 Minute Tips Ep 02

7 hours ago, trurl said:

The plugin only works with things you delete over the network with SMB. It is basically using a built-in feature of SMB.

Hey trurl

If I understand your answer correctly the rootshare does not communicate via SMB?

Hey trurl
If I understand your answer correctly the rootshare does not communicate via SMB?
It is smb. But it does not work, it happens the same to me and i don’t know why. Maybe because this share is not listed in the GUI

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, gacpac said:

It is smb. But it does not work, it happens the same to me and i don’t know why. Maybe because this share is not listed in the GUI

If the share is not defined in the Unraid shares, the plugin cannot set up a recycle bin for that share.

• dlandon changed the title to Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares