Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares

dlandon

Is it safe to move files into the .Recycle.Bin folder directly? For example, the DupeGuru duplicate file finding utility has an option to either delete duplicate files or move them to a "trash" folder somewhere. On my Synology NAS, I had it move them to the system trash folder, which worked fine. Would doing the same on Unraid, having DupeGuru move the files to be deleted to the .Recycle.Bin folder cause any problems?

7 hours ago, WalkerJ said:

Is it safe to move files into the .Recycle.Bin folder directly? For example, the DupeGuru duplicate file finding utility has an option to either delete duplicate files or move them to a "trash" folder somewhere. On my Synology NAS, I had it move them to the system trash folder, which worked fine. Would doing the same on Unraid, having DupeGuru move the files to be deleted to the .Recycle.Bin folder cause any problems?

You can move files to the recycle bin.

Does RecycleBin system hook into file delete or is it a registered action on samba delete? The reason I ask is that I have a share that is also the /home for a VM through virtio mount (samba mount is too linear). It is used primarily as an FTP backup endpoint. After some tests, I could get a standard SMB connection to generate a recycle bin log entry but with the virtio mount, it isn't generating a log entry or recycling the file. I tried changing /home to a CIFS mount but nah, that ain't going to work with my current hardware / network.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm trying to reduce the number of duplicate files at the client end during backups (it is a basic mirror operation over FTP after backup.gz is created). I figured Recycle Bin set to about 3 mos or so, let the backup software delete its old backups more regularly instead of holding 3 to 5 times the size of the site being backed up. Some of these sites are getting pretty heavy in the GBs and backups stack up fast.

Great plugin btw, thanks for picking up the torch!

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I'd investigated more before "fixing" it but I noticed my cache was much fuller than it should be. Recycle Bin reported 11GB used on my (cache-enabled) Download share but according Krusader it was actually 260GB:

664127815_ScreenShot2022-03-01at11_55_51AM.thumb.png.0e1304a8a6298f808418f84dec7d3d2b.png

Emptying the share's Recycle Bin from the settings page got it down to 0.

Anyone else seen that?

(I have mover tuning setup to exclude .Recycle.Bin dirs but I don't think that would affect it.)

Gday all,

So since the misses started cleaning up her pictures too frantically, i decided to install this plugin and create a recycle bin. However, it doesn't seem to work.

I have installed it via the app section, enabled the recyclebin plugin, restarted to make sure it would stick, changes the age days to 21 and kept the rest default. But, upon deleting files, no bin is created . . . 

What is wrong?

Im using 6.10.0 RC2

Ok, i think i found the issue.

Since i'm using the 'root' share as my main working area, it doesn't seem to work.

But when i map a folder in the root to a share, it works.

Any way i can have it work on the 'root' share too?

with root share, i mean the way as instructed in this video: 

3 hours ago, Caennanu said:

Any way i can have it work on the 'root' share too?

Because the recycle bin plugin is unaware of the share defined in the smb-extra.conf, it cannot configure the recycle bin for that share.  I have suggested adding the 'rootshare' feature into Unraid and then the recycle bin plugin would configure the 'rootshare' properly.

It can't be manually done because there are too many configurable parameters to the recycle bin.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new file manager plugin that replaces the built in file browser and has a lot more functionality.  It makes recovering files from the recycle bin a lot smoother.  Go to CA and search for "File Manager'.  Install the Dynamix File Manager.  Once you've done that, you can click on the browse icon in the recycle bin plugin shares page and you'll see what you can do.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, dlandon said:

There is a new file manager plugin that replaces the built in file browser and has a lot more functionality.  It makes recovering files from the recycle bin a lot smoother.  Go to CA and search for "File Manager'.  Install the Dynamix File Manager.  Once you've done that, you can click on the browse icon in the recycle bin plugin shares page and you'll see what you can do.

Is that only on the RC/6.10? I'm on 6.9.2 and searched for both "dynamix" and "file manager" and I'm not seeing that plugin on CA.

53 minutes ago, Masterwishx said:

@dlandon Thanks for plugin , if i want to change time of daily remove,

is it enouth to edit a:\config\plugins\recycle.bin\recyclebin.cron ?

or there is other way?

You can do that, but it will get changed when the recycle bin is restarted, or when you reboot the server.

On 3/11/2022 at 4:50 AM, dlandon said:

It's not in RC3, but I am adding the rootshare capability to UD and it will work with the recycle bin.

sorry, don't visit the fora daily.

What exactly do you mean with adding rootshare capability to UD?

(i am on RC3 and have the file manager installed too)