Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares

dlandon

This no longer seems to be moving things to the recycle bin. I have upgraded to 6.3, uninstalled the plugin, removed all .Recycle.Bin folders and reinstalled it from community applications. However when I create a text file and delete it it does not create a .Recycle.Bin folder.

Is there any other information I can provide? I'd love to get this working again.

Thanks!

I need more information.  You have the recycle bin enabled?  You are doing the delete through a smb share?

Check the shares tab of the recycle bin to be sure the share is enabled.  Look at the deleted files log and see if it has logged the deleted file.

A zero length file will not be put in the recycle bin.  You did enter something into the text file?

I do have the recycle bin enabled. I am using SMB. All my shares are listed under the Shares portion of that page. I have tested with a text file with text in it as well as duplicating one of the other larger files. Deleting these files does not create the recycle folder. The deleted files log on the recycle bin settings page is blank, I do have logging enabled.

Copy and post the /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf file.  Tell me which share you are trying to delete the file from.

Have you tried another share?

Here is the requested file http://pastebin.com/wJLkj5ak

I have tried on the TV - Shows share and the Downloads share.

Everything looks right.

Go to the Settings->SMB and look at the 'SMB Extras'.  It should look like this:

#vfs_recycle_start

#Recycle bin configuration

[global]

syslog only = No

log level = 0 vfs:0

#vfs_recycle_end

Try a 'Restart' on the recycle bin.

Everything looks right.

Go to the Settings->SMB and look at the 'SMB Extras'.  It should look like this:

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

It does look like that, copy and paste below in case I can't read.

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

Everything looks right.

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

Restart the recycle bin.

Everything looks right.

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

Restart the recycle bin.

Tried that, it did not work

Everything looks right.

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

Restart the recycle bin.

Ok.  One last thing.  Do this command:

/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

Everything looks right.

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

Restart the recycle bin.

Tried rebooting server didn't work (RIP uptime).

But the command you provided DID work!! Thank you much, glad to have this working again!

Everything looks right.

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

Restart the recycle bin.

But the command you provided DID work!! Thank you much, glad to have this working again!

I thought it would.  Can you post your diagnostics?  I know what the problem is, but I want to see what I need to do to fix it.

Everything looks right.

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

#vfs_recycle_start

[global]

syslog only = No

#vfs_recycle_end

Restart the recycle bin.

I thought it would.  Can you post your diagnostics?  I know what the problem is, but I want to see what I need to do to fix it.

Here you go

diagnostics-20170207-1548.zip

I don't understand. Isn't that the GUI plugin?

It's the beta version from a while back.

Oh, I removed that a long time ago. Hmmm, so just delete the dynamix.plg and reboot?

Yes.  See if it doesn't fix the recycle bin without restarting samba.

Well I didn't test if rebooting after restarting samba without removing that plugin would have been fine but I can confirm it works fine after removing that plugin and restarting so that is enough for me! Thanks again

I really like the new "Exclude Shares" option. However the entry field seems to be limited. I was trying the exclude all Ransom Ware shares but it seems that they are too many. Is is possible to exclude all shares of these share with one single entry e.g. Squidbait* ?

I can expand the entry field, but entering all the shares that way seems tedious.  Let me do some research and try to find a way to exclude all the shares of the Ransom Ware plugin.  I'd be surprised if there were that many individual shares.

Can you post a screen shot of the Recycle Bin->Shares page so I can see how the Ransom Ware plugin sets up its shares?  Scroll the page to show the Ransom Ware shares.

I really like the new "Exclude Shares" option. However the entry field seems to be limited. I was trying the exclude all Ransom Ware shares but it seems that they are too many. Is is possible to exclude all shares of these share with one single entry e.g. Squidbait* ?

I can expand the entry field, but entering all the shares that way seems tedious.  Let me do some research and try to find a way to exclude all the shares of the Ransom Ware plugin.  I'd be surprised if there were that many individual shares.

Can you post a screen shot of the Recycle Bin->Shares page so I can see how the Ransom Ware plugin sets up its shares?  Scroll the page to show the Ransom Ware shares.

Best way to exclude is to allow a regex / wildcard to be in the field (or a drop down).  Depending upon options, the folder names can be regenerated every boot and are completely random.  But I don't see how recyclebin would affect the moniitoring

Here you are ... I have already excluded as much as possible.

Thank you very much for looking into this.

I am changing the exclude share to act more like a wildcard exclude.  For example:

'Squidbait' will exclude all shares with the 'Squidbait' in the share name.  The comparison will be like the wild card 'Squidbait*'.

Update 2017.02.08 released.  You can now specify the excluded shares in a wild card fashion.  For example with the Ransom Ware plugin, you specify the excluded share as Squidbait.  All shares with the text Squidbait will be excluded.  There is additional write up on the OP.

Can you PLEASE... add an option to not remove the recycle bin folder when it's empty.. This is causing issues with programs such as Sonarr that are not smart enough to just 'delete' , looks like it's doing more of a move function thus causing lots of errors when unraid recycle bin purges.. things only work well again when I delete a manual file so the ./recycle bin folder comes back..

Can you PLEASE... add an option to not remove the recycle bin folder when it's empty.. This is causing issues with programs such as Sonarr that are not smart enough to just 'delete' , looks like it's doing more of a move function thus causing lots of errors when unraid recycle bin purges.. things only work well again when I delete a manual file so the ./recycle bin folder comes back..

Please provide more information.  I do not understand why this is a problem.  Samba handles the delete function.  Why is Sonarr managing the .Recycle.Bin?  How does it even know of its existence?

I love this plug in dlandon!  When I delete items from my Linux machine it puts them in  . Trash-1000 in the root of the active share.    Would it be possible to have this plug-in also monitor  .Trash-1000 when it comes to Empty &  purge functions?  Thanks :)

Perhaps a simple user script run by cron that periodically moves the folders into the Recycle Bin folders?

• dlandon changed the title to Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares