Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares

dlandon

I just installed the plugin tonight on 6.3.5 and had the same issue. Deleted files would not be logged or put in the recycled folder. I tried stopping/restarting the array but that did not have an effect as well as stop/starting the recycle bin on the settings page. Running the `

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/recycle.bin/scripts/configure_recycle_bin

and running samba restart twice

/usr/local/sbin/samba restart

Got it working for me too. I do not know how to find the /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf file so I do not know if the recycle bin entries were in it or not. I'm happy it's working now but wanted to let you know that it didn't work without manually running these commands.  My setup is fairly simple with only a few plugins:

• CA Auto Update Applications
  • CA Backup / Restore Appdata
  • CA Cleanup Appdata
  • Command Line Tool
  • Community Applications
  • Dynamix System Buttons
  • Dynamix System Information
  • Dynamix System Statistics
  • Dynamix webGui
  • Recycle Bin
  • Useful Links
  • Like 1

Your experience with the recycle bin plugin is not normal.  I cannot reproduce your issue and will not be able to do anything about it until/when I can reproduce it.

The recycle bin plugin depends on unRAID to initiate an event to allow the recycle bin parameters to be added to shares.  I have no control over the triggering of this event.

I suspect there is a plugin or something interfering.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/28/2017 at 2:17 PM, JoshFink said:

It's not the shares that I'm excluding but files. Wildcards won't work with them because I want some but not all (they're certain jpgs and pngs that I want to exclude). 

Not a huge rush on it but I appreciate the help. 

Were you able to accomplish excluding specific files or folders?  I am looking to exclude a few sub folders in a share and can not get it to work.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

On 12/10/2017 at 11:01 PM, shazahm1 said:

I just installed the plugin tonight on 6.3.5 and had the same issue. Deleted files would not be logged or put in the recycled folder. I tried stopping/restarting the array but that did not have an effect as well as stop/starting the recycle bin on the settings page. Running the `

and running samba restart twice

Got it working for me too. I do not know how to find the /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf file so I do not know if the recycle bin entries were in it or not. I'm happy it's working now but wanted to let you know that it didn't work without manually running these commands.  My setup is fairly simple with only a few plugins:

• CA Auto Update Applications
  • CA Backup / Restore Appdata
  • CA Cleanup Appdata
  • Command Line Tool
  • Community Applications
  • Dynamix System Buttons
  • Dynamix System Information
  • Dynamix System Statistics
  • Dynamix webGui
  • Recycle Bin
  • Useful Links

Just to say I exactly did what shazahm1 did to get mine working... including the running samba restart twice..

I checked the /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf file  beforehand and the recycle bin entries were in it already

Edited by Zangief
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, michael123 said:

Is there any problem with Recycle Bin on 6.4.0 -?

I deleted directory, but nothing showed up in RecycleBin page

How did you delete the directory? Recycle Bin only works when SMB is involved. In other words, you have to delete from over the network.

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

How did you delete the directory? Recycle Bin only works when SMB is involved. In other words, you have to delete from over the network.

Yes, sure.

Deleted it from the explorer on Windows 10

I noticed also that I don't have these mentioned empty recycle bin icons on the 'shares' page

Edited by michael123
On 1/26/2018 at 2:28 PM, michael123 said:

Should I stop/start the array to make it work?

Should this thing work on 6.4 ?

I recently upgraded to 6.4 and this plugin is working for me.  I did not have to re-install, it continued to work the same as it had on 6.3.

Also in reference to your comment - "I noticed also that I don't have these mentioned empty recycle bin icons on the 'shares' page" - I do not have any recycling bin on the Unraid Shares page, I never have. 

I believe you are referring to the ".Recycle.Bin" folder that gets created when you delete something through SMB.  This folder is located in the ROOT of your share and is visible through Windows Explorer.

For example, if your Unraid SHARE is called Media and all your movies, TV Shows, etc. are in folders underneath it, the .Recycle.Bin folder will show up in the Media folder once you delete something in one of those sub folders.

See the attached screen shot.  I deleted a file from \\unraidname\media\Kids Movies from windows explorer.  Now I have a .Recycle.Bin folder located at \\unraidname\media and the delete file is located in it.

Capture1.JPG

15 minutes ago, michael123 said:

Thanks @HocEman

I don't have anything resembling RecycleBin in the root of each share

I think I did not restart the server.. should I?

Sure, a reboot is never a bad idea when things are not working properly, more so when it comes to Windows systems, but in this case it is worth a shot.

43 minutes ago, michael123 said:

Thanks @HocEman

I don't have anything resembling RecycleBin in the root of each share

I think I did not restart the server.. should I?

Actually, it’s .Recycle.Bin. Depending on how you are browsing the shares you may need to ensure that Hide Dot Files is set to “No” in Settings>SMB. If you are using the file browser built in to the webUI I don’t think it matters.

Hello,

updates at end

When I upgraded to unRaid 6.4.0 from 6.2 my manual entries in /boot/config/smb-extra.conf stopped working and just realized today.

I've installed the plugin, enabled it and even tried the configure script and restarting samba a few times ...

I'm still not getting any .Recycle.Bin files showing up

Is there any further things I can check to get the Recycle Bin working again?

Thanks for your time,

Bobby

ps - now it's deleting to 

/mnt/user/recordings/.Recycle.Bin/mnt/user/recordings/.Recycle.Bin/computer_name/*

or

R:\.Recycle.Bin\mnt\user\recordings\.Recycle.Bin\computer_name\*

now I need to shorten that to 

\\storage\recordings\.Recycle.Bin\computer_name\*

in the Recycle Bin Parameters Box I have "%P/.Recycle.Bin/%m"

Edited by perfessor101
recycle bin working now possibly ... but path too confused

I am unable to open Recycle Bin's settings. The page is just blank, despite restarting and reinstalling the plugin. It's meant to be disabled atm as I'm shifting lots of files around, however I noticed the folders and found files within them that would seem to indicated that it's running.
2018-02-04_19-02-35_AtlantisRecycleBin_-_Google_Chrome.thumb.png.f32292e5b61771584033928205743c53.png
What are the suggestions for fixing this? (For now I'm uninstalling as I continue to shift files)

Hello dlandon,

it seems that on unraid 6.4.1 that my recycle bin is dropping a few file types without 'recycling' them 

*.txt, *.bmp, etc.

I'm not sure how many others, will try to figure out if it's dropping any files that I really need it to save 

and will start googling if it should keep those ones

Thanks for your time,

Bobby

On 2/9/2018 at 1:33 PM, perfessor101 said:

Hello dlandon,

it seems that on unraid 6.4.1 that my recycle bin is dropping a few file types without 'recycling' them 

*.txt, *.bmp, etc.

I'm not sure how many others, will try to figure out if it's dropping any files that I really need it to save 

and will start googling if it should keep those ones

Thanks for your time,

Bobby

The recycle bin won't show deleted files unless they are deleted with SMB.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

The recycle bin won't show deleted files unless they are deleted with SMB.

In other words, unless you are doing the deletes over the network, they don't go into the Recycle Bin. If you are doing it on the server, either manually or with some app, then Recycle Bin has no way to know about it.

• dlandon changed the title to Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares