Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares

dlandon

1 hour ago, KADgnvbPG3Jmjuiq said:

Im missing something here, i installed and enabled the plugin but no shares are detected or have a recycle bin. I deleted files many different ways via smb but that appears to do nothing. Im stuck :D

The shares only show in the recycle bin if they have deleted files in the .Recycle.Bin/ folder on that share.

Files deleted in network (SMB) shares that are zero length, don't show in the recycle bin.

Post diagnostics.

2 minutes ago, KADgnvbPG3Jmjuiq said:

Well it "randomly" started working, it just took the overview page a while to show the share (even though i kept refreshing like the maniac i am). The deleted files section is still empty though.

Doesnt matter as long as the main feature works im more than happy 👍

The recycle bin is refreshed every 5 minutes and won't show a deleted file right away.

The log should show files deleted immediately.

Hey @dlandon

Hey just wondering exactly how this is supposed to work and what it keeps in the Recycle Bin. 

The reason I'm asking is because I noticed it wasn't recycling a bunch of stuff so I did some tests.

Here are the things that I tested.

• These WERE capture by RecycleBin
  • Swift Android App (phone): Uses SMB to backup Android apps. Looks like RecycleBin kept a bunch of test files it made.
  • Macrium (laptop): Set to backup my PC image over the network and delete images older than 7 days. Looks like RecycleBin kept the ones deleted by Macrium.

• Were NOT capture by RecycleBin
  • Explorer (laptop): Files I delete via Explorer on my laptop do NOT get kept by RecycleBin.
  • Krusader (server): Files I delete via Krusader on the server itself do NOT get kept.
  • User script (server): I have a script running to delete a bunch of files nightly. They have NOT been kept.

So I'm just trying to understand what gets put into .Recycle.Bin and what doesn't.  

I was under the impression ANY file deleted on those shares were capture and saved until the configured amount of time.

Thanks for any insight!

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, DevanteWeary said:

So I'm just trying to understand what gets put into .Recycle.Bin and what doesn't.  

I was under the impression ANY file deleted on those shares were capture and saved until the configured amount of time.

Only files deleted through SMB (network shares) are recycled.  Files deleted using the File Manager, Krusader (or similar), or cli commands do NOT get recycled.

23 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Only files deleted through SMB (network shares) are recycled.  Files deleted using the File Manager, Krusader (or similar), or cli commands do NOT get recycled.

Oh I didn't realize that. OK good to know thanks!

The only thing with that is that I just tried deleting a file over the network and it didn't go into the .RecycleBin

This is using using Windows Explorer over the network to delete a file on the Unraid server share.  

Isn't that using SMB? Maybe I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, DevanteWeary said:

The only thing with that is that I just tried deleting a file over the network and it didn't go into the .RecycleBin

This is using using Windows Explorer over the network to delete a file on the Unraid server share.  

The log will show a deleted file right away, but it can take up to 5 minutes to show in the Recycle Bin shares tab.

On 3/21/2024 at 12:24 PM, DevanteWeary said:

I had the same issue on 2 of my servers.  Seems as tho the "exclusive share" setting wasnt playing nice with recycle bin.  The quick fix was to make it a pool only, reboot and change it back to exclusive share again.   Seems to have fixed it (still cant understand why tho).

I am monitoring this situation as my employee's use the recycle bin when they do dum stuff!  Its been a saviour (till it randomly wasnt and i figured out that toggle to make it work again).  Please report back if that fixes it!

On 3/25/2024 at 11:02 AM, miicar said:

I had the same issue on 2 of my servers.  Seems as tho the "exclusive share" setting wasnt playing nice with recycle bin.  The quick fix was to make it a pool only, reboot and change it back to exclusive share again.   Seems to have fixed it (still cant understand why tho).

I am monitoring this situation as my employee's use the recycle bin when they do dum stuff!  Its been a saviour (till it randomly wasnt and i figured out that toggle to make it work again).  Please report back if that fixes it!

Thanks for the tip.

Only thing is I don't have exclusive shares turned on. :<

• Confused 1