Open Files Plugin - Can help with troubleshooting why server won't shut down

dlandon

• 1 year later...

I have issue when checking "Open Files" I see the utility "find" busy. It's keep my drive awake. When I kill the process it's returning. Any idea?

When I start the unRAID server"Find" is immediately active. So only the array is up and no Docker or VM's.  

Edited by MvL
I have issue when checking "Open Files" I see the utility "find" busy. It's keep my drive awake. When I kill the process it's returning. Any idea?

When I start the unRAID server"Find" is immediately active. So only the array is up and no Docker or VM's.  
It's from dynamic cache dirs. It gets stopped when the array stops

Sent via Tapatalk because I'm either at work or enjoying the summer

Thanks for reply!

It was keeping my HDD 10 for days awake. It was searching in same directories over and over again. I delete these directories and now the issue is gone. It was almost if it was in a loop.

Edited by MvL

That's what cache dirs does. It's a Continuous loop of find of all the directories you include in its settings.

There ar circumstances where it can keep drives spun up, mainly if you have it included your Plex appdata for example, because the millions of files in appdata will quickly flush the cached inodes for all the other folders, and find will have to spin up the drives to get the info.

Generally the only included folders would be stuff like movies or TV or music

Sent via Tapatalk because I'm either at work or enjoying the summer

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, remati said:

Is it possible to get this plugin to show which users are accessing what files in shares? Or is this a feature on another plugin that I have no idea about.

Dynamix streams.   They're similar at a high level, but the streams plugin is more limited in that it only shows what is actually streaming over the network whereas this plugin shows everything.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I am re-evaluating my development efforts with Unraid and need to cut back on some plugins that are not providing core functionality in Unraid.  This plugin will be deprecated starting with Unraid 6.9.  This plugin does not provide enough of an enhancement to the Unraid OS and I don't have the time to continue development efforts.  If it's deemed to be a necessary part of Unraid, LT should include the functionality.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, dlandon said:

I am re-evaluating my development efforts with Unraid and need to cut back on some plugins that are not providing core functionality in Unraid.  This plugin will be deprecated starting with Unraid 6.9.  This plugin does not provide enough of an enhancement to the Unraid OS and I don't have the time to continue development efforts.  If it's deemed to be a necessary part of Unraid, LT should include the functionality.

Darn, that's a shame to hear, but THANK YOU for providing it and keeping it up to date and working this long! It's very much appreciated.

I just saw the update making 6.8.9 the max version. I still find this really helps when compared to the Active Streams plugin because it lists working directories held open by various SSH sessions, so I can easily track those down and finish what I'm doing when the server is failing to unmount user shares. 

What's the difficulty in porting this  to 6.9? I may be interested in taking over maintenance if you're no longer able, and background on the hurdles would really help :)

• 6 months later...
On 6/11/2021 at 1:39 PM, dlandon said:

What kind of issues are you having?

Sorry, probably should have included that.

plugin: updating: open.files.plg
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 2

No issues with any other plugins. What can I look for if the issue is on my end?

EDIT: uninstall/reinstall fixed it. I was just trying to see if it was something outside my setup. Doesn't seem that it was.

Thanks

Edited by PanteraGSTK
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm experiencing an issue with Open Files on one of my unRAID servers. I get the following error:

OpenFilesIssue.thumb.jpg.a05ba264fa615a04898b525a2b89b833.jpg

Initially syslog was showing errors about not enough user watches so I went into Tip & Tweaks and doubled them, as well as doubling max user instances. So 1048576 for watches and 256 for instances. That's resolved the inotify errors that were appearing in syslog.

I just did some more testing and Open Files is working fine after a reboot before the array is started. Once the array is started it also works. But as soon as I enable the Docker service, Open Files errors out again with the same message as shown in the screenshot. I've also gone into Tools --> PHP Settings and enabled logging for everything. Open Files is still not working but I'm not seeing any messages in the PHP logs except this:

[26-Feb-2024 14:04:42 America/Denver] PHP Warning:  Undefined variable $display in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ipmi/include/ipmi_helpers.php on line 8
[26-Feb-2024 14:04:42 America/Denver] PHP Warning:  Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ipmi/include/ipmi_helpers.php on line 8
[26-Feb-2024 14:04:57 America/Denver] PHP Warning:  Undefined variable $display in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ipmi/include/ipmi_helpers.php on line 8
[26-Feb-2024 14:04:57 America/Denver] PHP Warning:  Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ipmi/include/ipmi_helpers.php on line 8
[26-Feb-2024 14:05:01 America/Denver] PHP Warning:  Undefined variable $display in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ipmi/include/ipmi_helpers.php on line 8

If I disable the Docker service, Open Files runs fine. I've also tried starting one container at a time, but no matter which container I try, Open Files no longer works when the container is started. There's nothing showing in syslog or the PHP logs except the errors in the code block above, which are still repeating at about 10 second intervals.

Any ideas of something else to try? Thanks!

Edited by AgentXXL
grammar