What do you use for metadata management?

dave

Hey guys,

I've recently moved away from ESXi and my Windows 7 VM to run with the new V6 of unRAID. I was wondering what everyone is using to manage the metadata of their media collection? I previously ran Media Center Master on Windows to scrape everything. I am using the MakeMKV Docker to rip my Blu Ray collection and I do not use any downloaders like SB/CP/Sonarr/etc.

Thanks!

Dave

Media Center Master for scraping.

Emby for presentation and playback.

This is what I do as well.  MCM gives you a  lot of control over the metadata. If I let Plex figure stuff out, I get a lot mismatches.  I never used Emby for downloading metadata since MCM does my "filing" as well.

MCM for me is a blast from the past. I have not used this in ages... I simply do all my acquiring and post-processing through Sickbeard/Sickrage/Sonarr and CouchPotato and it takes care of the rest. Since I use Kodi on my htpc's, all my scraping is perfect. Even stuff I acquire manually (via torrents, etc) I let the SB and CP handle this. I also set those guys to do the Plex notification as well.

For TV shows I let SAB/SB manage, but movies I manage manually. I tend to vet each movie to ensure it's English language default and strip other languages and sub titles. For these I use Media Companion to scrape. I do this so that I can confirm each movie is identified correctly as well as I can add backgrounds for those movies missing them as well as set tags on some movies. I use Kodi on the TVs at home and have a filter for movies for my daughter. I use MC to set the tag so that they get caught by the filter.

MC is free and continuously updated, which is great. I've had a few issues over the years but have been able to report to the developer and work with them to resolve.

It's worked great for me.

I use a various selection of tools.  But when I was first trying to get things organized I used Ember Media Manager

Great program and it makes your media library portable. 

I have attached a screenshot of it for you.

I was trying to find this program the other day - but the link to the download for version 1.3 is broken on the kodi forum. Do you know where I can find it elsewhere?

I use a various selection of tools.  But when I was first trying to get things organized I used Ember Media Manager

Great program and it makes your media library portable. 

I have attached a screenshot of it for you.

I was trying to find this program the other day - but the link to the download for version 1.3 is broken on the kodi forum. Do you know where I can find it elsewhere?

Here you go.  I zipped up my copy and removed the database. 

• 2 weeks later...

What about People (actors, etc.)?

I use Emby for media management but it stores People metadata in its config location which does Kodi absolutely no good.  Somewhere along the way I was using another scraper that downloaded People to a .actors folder in the media location but cannot remember which one it was.  Maybe MCM?

That being said...if I browse a movie in Kodi that does not have a .actors folder, I am still able to view Cast pictures.  Where is this data coming from?  Is Kodi downloading from the internet on its own and storing locally?  Where?

John

ps.  I am an MCM customer but stopped using it some time ago since I moved away from WIN platforms completely for anything HTPC related.  I would love to rely on CP and Sonarr for my only scraping solutions but from I can see, neither does People.

Here is my nirvana (considering I use Kodi and Emby clients)...

- CP downloads a movie, renames it and moves it to my movie folder

- Some program (whether it be Emby, CP or something else)...

- scrapes ALL metadata, including People, and stores it in the location of the media files

- notifies Kodi (headless) and Emby and each updates their libraries

- I would still use Emby to scrape people (for its own purposes)

Caveat:  everything above must be handled in Docker container(s).

CP seems to lack the ability to scrape People.

Emby scrapes people but stores them locally.

Plex...I'm not sure of the capabilities.

Kodi will scrape People but stores them locally (hexen...I searched for Kodi to use a shared location for .actors but came up empty)

All others mentioned are WIN based...no thanks.

From what I have seen, TinyMediaManager handles metadata nicely (including saving People to the .actors folder), but, does only does so manually.  There is no method to trigger an automatic scrape unless it can be done via some kind of script (which I have not yet researched).

Am I asking too much?

John

I just read this in the feature list for TMM:

Command line support

tinyMediaManager supports some command line arguments. With this function you are able to call tinyMediaManager functions from other tools

Going to read now and see what the options are and if they can be called from either CP, Emby or other.

John

• 6 years later...