Install two unraid machines on same network

dkruse1969

Hello, I am very new here and have recently been fearing that I am going to be in a bit of trouble.

I have a 5 drive unit and it is full of 1.5tb drives. The thing is full of about 4TB of data. My fear is that I am going to lose something big here. What I would like to do is make an exact duplicate of what I have now on another unraid box on the same network.

My thought is that I can't have two "Tower" machines without some sort of conflict.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CB

Hello, I am very new here and have recently been fearing that I am going to be in a bit of trouble.

I have a 5 drive unit and it is full of 1.5tb drives. The thing is full of about 4TB of data. My fear is that I am going to lose something big here. What I would like to do is make an exact duplicate of what I have now on another unraid box on the same network.

My thought is that I can't have two "Tower" machines without some sort of conflict.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CB

Yes you can. Just go into the unRAID Main menu under Settings and change the Server name from "Tower" to "Tower2" (as an example).

Yup, also make sure that the IP addresses are different if you manually assign them. Otherwise, your router or DHCP server should take care of you.

Peter

And just as important, if you copy the config files from the one server to the other, blank out the HWADDR (MAC ADDRESS) in the config/network.cfg file.  Can't have two servers pretending to be the same hardware... even with different IP addresses.
  • 5 years later...

Which server would I change the name on? 

I am currently building a second UNRAID machine. When I boot up this new machine what should I do? Should I be making changes in the boot folder first before starting this machine up for the first time on my network?

Last time I built a free version one and added it to the network it over rode my main tower and I could no longer reach my main 22tb tower.

Thanks.

Which server would I change the name on?

The new one.

I am currently building a second UNRAID machine. When I boot up this new machine what should I do? Should I be making changes in the boot folder first before starting this machine up for the first time on my network?

Last time I built a free version one and added it to the network it over rode my main tower and I could no longer reach my main 22tb tower.

I *think* this would be the steps:

* Prepare the new flash drive with make_bootable

* Copy the correct license file (a key file with extension ending in .key) to the config folder

* Copy your current ident.cfg file to the config folder

* Edit the copied ident.cfg, and change NAME to the desired name of this new UnRAID server.  Also change COMMENT if desired

* Copy your current network.cfg file to the config folder

* If you are NOT using DHCP, you'll need a new static IP.  Edit the copied network.cfg, and change IPADDR to the desired static IP address for this new UnRAID server

* Copy any timezone file to the config folder, if you are using one

* boot and test!  You will still need to assign drives, and add any other desired customizations

It's no longer necessary to change HWADDR, as it's no longer included in network.cfg.