ZFS plugin for unRAID

steini84

Hello,

A quick question, not sure if this was answered previously,  how do we update the zfs version ?

I'm on unraid Version: 6.9.2

Currently running.

------------------------------

zfs version
   zfs-2.0.0-1
   zfs-kmod-2.0.0-1

New version:

----------------------

zfs-2.0.6-1
   zfs-kmod-2.0.6-1

Thanks.

Edited by dianasta
17 hours ago, dianasta said:

Hello,

A quick question, not sure if this was answered previously,  how do we update the zfs version ?

I'm on unraid Version: 6.9.2

Currently running.

------------------------------

zfs version
   zfs-2.0.0-1
   zfs-kmod-2.0.0-1

New version:

----------------------

zfs-2.0.6-1
   zfs-kmod-2.0.6-1

Thanks.

Just run this command then reboot

rm /boot/config/plugins/unRAID6-ZFS/packages/*

On 9/20/2021 at 12:09 AM, jortan said:

I have an unraid server for testing that uses a single 8GB thumb drive for the array. You don't need to assign a parity device.

Keep in mind that by default the "system" share (libvirt image, docker image) is going to be placed on the array, as presumably you also won't have an unraid array cache device either.  If you're going to use a thumb drive for your array + ZFS pool for storage, you will want to make sure all of these point to appropriate locations in your ZFS pool:

Settings | Docker

- Docker vDisk location

- Default appdata storage location

Settings | VM Manager

- Libvirt storage location

- Default VM storage path

- Default ISO storage path

I am trying to follow in these footsteps and unfortunately it appears that these configuration elements have been removed?

I'm on Unraid 6.9.2 and both my "Settings | Docker" and "Settings | VM Manager" show none of the options outlined above.

Am I missing something obvious? What is the recommended way to achieve a stubbed-out thumb drive array while serving VMs and Docker containers out of ZFS datasets?

Hey all,

Finally got ZFS started up.  I wanted to test the speed, and I'm trying to figure out how to do it.  Earlier in the thread there was a thing about fio, but I can't seem to get it working based on the instructions from both Level1Techs and @mytime34.  Anybody know what to do?

On 10/30/2021 at 2:31 PM, Squid said:

Advanced View.  (Docker you also have to stop the service in order to change them)

Thanks @Squid - this wasn't obvious to me at all.  (It would seem that greying these out or putting a little lock icon beside them with a mouseover would prevent questions like mine.)

However, now that I've found the correct settings, it seems unraid will not let me place the VM ISO or image directories outside my primary array (which again is just a thumbdrive I'm hoping to keep nothing of importance on).

Do I need to soft-link from inside /mnt/user into /mnt/zfs1 (the name of my pool)?  How can I store VMs and ISOs in my ZFS dataset?

EDIT - perhaps i just edit the config files on the boot thumbdrive to circumvent the UI protections that won't let me set this outside the array?

Edited by chronocide

hello guys,

i am getting in the syslog following warnings:

Nov 1 18:10:55 Microserver smbd[19418]: [2021/11/01 18:10:55.785752, 0] ../../source3/lib/sysquotas.c:565(sys_get_quota)
Nov 1 18:10:55 Microserver smbd[19418]: sys_path_to_bdev() failed for path [.]!

this happens, when i access a file or directory over SMB on the ZFS pool.

can you help me, is there any solution?

i tried to edit the /etc/fstab file, but didnts work.

thank in advance.

How do updates for this plugin work? For instance I am on RC1 right now. How do I know whether I can upgrade to RC2? Also, when an update for the plugin comes out, does one need to export their pool(s) or something first before upgrading, or is it something that can be done in place?

Hey all,

I'm getting kernel panics when trying to transfer over large volumes of data via rsync from my backup to my ZFS Unraid server.  I'm amazed at the sheer speed of the transfer from spinning rust, but it crashes.  IDK what's going on.  I have diagnostic information if that helps, or if there's something else you guys need, let me know.  Figured cause the issue is with ZFS, this is the place to ask for help.  Anybody know what to do?  I saw a year and a half back someone had a similar issue.  Also had to rebuild everything from scratch before cause of this issue--thank goodness for backups, seriously.

I'm on 6.9.2, BTW.

Edit: I can't get a good syslog of the issue because it wipes itself when I have to hard reset the server, so I had to take a photo of what my screen is telling me.  This was during an rsync of data from the backup server via FTP share to the tank.

alexnas-diagnostics-20211031-1717.zip alexnas-syslog-20211031-2118.zip

IMG_20211102_105156275_HDR.jpg

Edited by asopala
Added log, best I could
7 hours ago, muddro said:

How do I know whether I can upgrade to RC2

The process is automated and it should be built after an hour when a new version from unRAID is released.

You always can look here in @steini84's Github repo when the new driver is uploaded.

So it should be safe to upgrade after an hour after a new unRAID version was released. ;)

You don't have to do anything, if you upgrade unRAID with Update OS in your Tools menu.

It will automatically tell you to wait with the reboot, automatically download all the plugin packages that needs to be updated (ZFS is one of them) and tell you when it's OK to reboot.

• Like 1
On 10/31/2021 at 1:48 PM, chronocide said:

However, now that I've found the correct settings, it seems Unraid will not let me place the VM ISO or image directories outside my primary array (which again is just a thumb drive I'm hoping to keep nothing of importance on).

Do I need to soft-link from inside /mnt/user into /mnt/zfs1 (the name of my pool)?  How can I store VMs and ISOs in my ZFS dataset?

Regarding the question of whether or not Unraid can be run without an Array - as others have already pointed out, the answer is no. However, earlier posts in this thread point out that you can run your array off of a single USB thumb drive if you so choose.  I am pursuing this strategy now.

Having said that, I am dealing with an issue where the Unraid UI will not let me configure the location for my VMs and ISOs to be anywhere outside of the array.  As you might imagine, I do not want to run my VMs off a thumb drive.  If anyone can provide some insight as to how I might set my configuration to store VMs and ISOs in a ZFS dataset, I would appreciate the help!

6 minutes ago, chronocide said:

Having said that, I am dealing with an issue where the Unraid UI will not let me configure the location for my VMs and ISOs to be anywhere outside of the array.

I also can type whatever I want in there and even have set the libvirt.img to be on a ZFS Pool:

grafik.thumb.png.0dcf533ec4229f474a6b349c3af9b044.png

Thanks @ich777 - please disregard my previous message. It must have been some kind of user error.  I had thought that it wasn't allowing me to manually set the path, but I saw your post and decided to simply try again and sure enough, this time it worked.

No idea what I had done wrong last time, but I was previously seeing red text highlighting the two paths for VM storage path and ISO storage path, preventing me from saving the config change.  Perhaps I simply mistyped the directory names? Irrelevant now....

thanks again

• Like 1
if I wanted to start over fresh with unraid but keep the current ZFS configuration what do I need to do?
Create a new USB Boot Device with your registration key in the config directory, reboot, make the necessary changes to the go file if needed (see first post), install the ZFS plugin and reboot again.

Sent from my C64

11 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Create a new USB Boot Device with your registration key in the config directory, reboot, make the necessary changes to the go file if needed (see first post), install the ZFS plugin and reboot again.

Sent from my C64

would I have to put all the drives back in for the correct order as well? I have 15 of them with the long file names like space did for the video.

would I have to put all the drives back in for the correct order as well? I have 15 of them with the long file names like space did for the video.
ZFS should handle this but you can try it with your current installation.
Shut down the server, flip two disks from their slots and start the server.

Sent from my C64